[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly: > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out this bit o' wisdom: >> "Homer" wrote in message >> news:b0d1t5-99o.ln1@sky.matrix... >>> Maybe we could just ask the developer of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 83 of 83

  1. Re: [News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

    Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >> "Homer" wrote in message

    >>> Maybe we could just ask the developer of Adamantium: Core
    >>> Animation for Linux/X whether or not it takes "a heck of a lot of
    >>> OpenGL code":
    >>>
    >>> http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=7253

    >> Evidently the one guy working on the project agrees. He's the only
    >> person working on the project and it looks like he gave up on it 33
    >> weeks ago at version 0.1.7. Now lets hear the "advocates" proclaim
    >> how Linux has something that rivals core animation because of this
    >> dead project.

    > Yeah, another prediction bites the dust.
    >
    > Anyway, that's actually when he started the project. And the site he
    > set up doesn't have /any/ files. Not only dead, but stillborn. No
    > milestones, no history. Some code in the archive, but it looks like
    > he worked on it for just a few days.

    Well if anyone is actually interested in Core Animation for Linux/X then
    I'm sure somebody will pick up the baton and run with it. The fact that
    there's a whole community of developers working on compiz, but only one
    guy showing a passing interest in Core Animation, speaks volumes about
    how low that level of interest is. Nonetheless, because it is (or will
    be) Free Software then anyone who really wants to can work on it.

    Maybe "Zek" could do it, since he doesn't seem to do much else besides
    bitch about an OS he doesn't even use, much less develop for.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:01:50 up 12 days, 1:57, 3 users, load average: 0.10, 0.09, 0.02

  2. Re: [News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Homer belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>>
    >>> Evidently the one guy working on the project agrees. He's the only
    >>> person working on the project and it looks like he gave up on it 33
    >>> weeks ago at version 0.1.7. Now lets hear the "advocates" proclaim
    >>> how Linux has something that rivals core animation because of this
    >>> dead project.

    > Well if anyone is actually interested in Core Animation for Linux/X then
    > I'm sure somebody will pick up the baton and run with it. The fact that
    > there's a whole community of developers working on compiz, but only one
    > guy showing a passing interest in Core Animation, speaks volumes about
    > how low that level of interest is. Nonetheless, because it is (or will
    > be) Free Software then anyone who really wants to can work on it.

    I agree, in general. Free software does not cover /every/ bit of
    proprietary functionality, though, as you note. There will always be
    some function that is a "deal killer" for a sufficiently unmotivated
    potential convert to Linux.

    > Maybe "Zek" could do it, since he doesn't seem to do much else besides
    > bitch about an OS he doesn't even use, much less develop for.

    Oh, I think Zeke uses Linux. To what extent and to what purpose, who
    knows? Or cares, really. If he's talking sh*t, he'll get some static.
    Otherwise, positive contributions to the general knowledge around here
    are sorely needed.

    --
    All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous.

  3. Re: [News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

    Homer wrote:

    >Well if anyone is actually interested in Core Animation for Linux/X then
    >I'm sure somebody will pick up the baton and run with it. The fact that
    >there's a whole community of developers working on compiz, but only one
    >guy showing a passing interest in Core Animation, speaks volumes about
    >how low that level of interest is. Nonetheless, because it is (or will
    >be) Free Software then anyone who really wants to can work on it.

    I think this issue should be brought before Hadron Quark's OSS Culling
    Committee, and they will make the final decision on whether or not
    this work is done.

    --
    "This choice thing is a joke." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5