Ballmer says skip Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Ballmer says skip Vista - Linux ; [Ballmer says that if high powered business people] want to wait for Windows 7 to switch from XP, instead of going to Vista, "They certainly can." ....Microsoft has been stepping back from Vista for some time now. In early October, ...

  1. Ballmer says skip Vista

    [Ballmer says that if high powered business people] want to wait for
    Windows 7 to switch from XP, instead of going to Vista, "They
    certainly can."

    ....Microsoft has been stepping back from Vista for some time now. In
    early October, Microsoft quietly announced that it was extending sales
    of XP Professional SP3. In my opinion, XP SP3 is a much better
    operating system than Vista will ever be. Before that, Microsoft
    started fast-tracking Windows 7 and deemphasizing Vista. I've also
    noticed that, after giving up on those terrible Bill Gates and
    Seinfeld ads, Microsoft's equally awful "I'm a PC" ads seem to be
    disappearing off the airwaves....

    I'm betting on 7 being Vista SP2 with a lot of marketing hype. Be
    that as it may, Microsoft's Vista failure is continuing to give both
    the Linux desktop and the Mac a window to make gains on the desktop.
    [Apple needs to move into enterprise...]

    As for the Linux desktop, Novell, with SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise
    Desktop) 10, is the only company that's making it easy for business
    users to jump to the Linux desktop. That's not enough.

    The Linux desktop needs three technical improvements. These are:
    better laptop power management; more of the applications that users
    want; and, like it or lump it, better Windows interoperability/
    virtualization.

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/ballmer_says_skip_vista

  2. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:

    > [Ballmer says that if high powered business people] want to wait for
    > Windows 7 to switch from XP, instead of going to Vista, "They
    > certainly can."

    So another misleading subject line.

    How do you guys sleep at night with your lies and fabrications?

    --
    - "Just think, consumers are not sold on XP, and Microsoft shelled out
    some major $$$ to develop this thing. This is a great opportunity for

  3. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:30:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:
    >

    >> [Ballmer says that if high powered business people] want to wait for
    >> Windows 7 to switch from XP, instead of going to Vista, "They
    >> certainly can."

    > So another misleading subject line.
    >
    > How do you guys sleep at night with your lies and fabrications?

    Misleading subject lines, especially those that slam Microsoft or create
    FUD, generate hits and seed Google the way the Linux fanatics wish.

    Most people outside of the core loony group of Linux zealots, realize that
    this movement of theirs is laughable at best.
    People who are true Linux advocates, who advocate by DOING instead of
    bull****ting despise places like COLA, BN and others because the fanatics
    that gather there just make the mainstream Linux user look foolish.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:30:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:
    >>

    >>> [Ballmer says that if high powered business people] want to wait for
    >>> Windows 7 to switch from XP, instead of going to Vista, "They
    >>> certainly can."

    >> So another misleading subject line.
    >>
    >> How do you guys sleep at night with your lies and fabrications?

    > Misleading subject lines, especially those that slam Microsoft or create
    > FUD, generate hits and seed Google the way the Linux fanatics wish.
    >
    > Most people outside of the core loony group of Linux zealots, realize that
    > this movement of theirs is laughable at best.
    > People who are true Linux advocates, who advocate by DOING instead of
    > bull****ting despise places like COLA, BN and others because the fanatics
    > that gather there just make the mainstream Linux user look foolish.

    I still remember when Jorge rounded on Liarnut and identified him as the
    technical incompetent troll he had run into in another forum. Jorge
    contributes products. Liarmutt, Roy et al simply pea**** around amongst
    the floaters in COLA.

    --
    "By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the last

  5. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:48:10 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> So another misleading subject line.
    >>>
    >>> How do you guys sleep at night with your lies and fabrications?

    >> Misleading subject lines, especially those that slam Microsoft or create
    >> FUD, generate hits and seed Google the way the Linux fanatics wish.
    >>
    >> Most people outside of the core loony group of Linux zealots, realize that
    >> this movement of theirs is laughable at best.
    >> People who are true Linux advocates, who advocate by DOING instead of
    >> bull****ting despise places like COLA, BN and others because the fanatics
    >> that gather there just make the mainstream Linux user look foolish.

    > I still remember when Jorge rounded on Liarnut and identified him as the
    > technical incompetent troll he had run into in another forum. Jorge
    > contributes products. Liarmutt, Roy et al simply pea**** around amongst
    > the floaters in COLA.

    Yep...
    Jorge is a nice guy and I've exchanged emails with him on occasion.
    He certainly has contributed to Linux which is something the keyboard
    commandos in COLA have not yet done.

    Even marti has them beat because he designed and recorded his album with
    Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> So another misleading subject line.
    >>>
    >>> How do you guys sleep at night with your lies and fabrications?

    >> Misleading subject lines, especially those that slam Microsoft or create
    >> FUD, generate hits and seed Google the way the Linux fanatics wish.
    >>
    >> Most people outside of the core loony group of Linux zealots, realize
    >> that this movement of theirs is laughable at best.
    >> People who are true Linux advocates, who advocate by DOING instead of
    >> bull****ting despise places like COLA, BN and others because the fanatics
    >> that gather there just make the mainstream Linux user look foolish.

    > I still remember when Jorge rounded on Liarnut and identified him as the
    > technical incompetent troll he had run into in another forum.

    Certainly, Hadron Quark. And the best part of it: You can even supply the
    Msg-IDs for your claim...

    > Jorge contributes products.

    He *also* contributes strife. For no good reason, to boot. To top it off, he
    is a Solaris-advocate. He does not really like linux.

    > Liarmutt, Roy et al simply pea**** around amongst
    > the floaters in COLA.

    Even /if/ that were true, it would still be a lot more positive than
    anything you, flatfish, DFS and other usenet filth permeate in several
    groups
    --
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
    the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the

  7. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 00:05:07 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> Misleading subject lines, especially those that slam Microsoft or create
    >>> FUD, generate hits and seed Google the way the Linux fanatics wish.
    >>>
    >>> Most people outside of the core loony group of Linux zealots, realize
    >>> that this movement of theirs is laughable at best.
    >>> People who are true Linux advocates, who advocate by DOING instead of
    >>> bull****ting despise places like COLA, BN and others because the fanatics
    >>> that gather there just make the mainstream Linux user look foolish.

    >> I still remember when Jorge rounded on Liarnut and identified him as the
    >> technical incompetent troll he had run into in another forum.

    > Certainly, Hadron Quark. And the best part of it: You can even supply the
    > Msg-IDs for your claim...
    >
    >> Jorge contributes products.

    > He *also* contributes strife. For no good reason, to boot. To top it off, he
    > is a Solaris-advocate. He does not really like linux.

    Joerg Schilling works for OpenSolaris &, as i've pointed out elsewhere,
    some say that his blogs reflect hostility towards Linux.
    There's a long thread in the "linux-kernel" mailing list from 2005:
    Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  8. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

  9. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> I still remember when Jorge rounded on Liarnut and identified him as the
    >> technical incompetent troll he had run into in another forum.

    > Certainly, Hadron Quark. And the best part of it: You can even supply the
    > Msg-IDs for your claim...

    No need for a message ID, I can give you the straight story.

    I simply questioned Jörg's interpretation of something, and thereafter
    Jörg labelled me as a troll.

    I don't recall at all any kind of "incompetence" being involved.

    That's just another Hadron confabulation.

    Besides, Jörg is well-known for his difficulty in interaction with human
    beings:

    bye Joerg
    doogie: you have an interesting definition for 'interact with
    people' that means 'make them want to jump off cliffs'

    >> Jorge contributes products.

    > He *also* contributes strife. For no good reason, to boot. To top it off, he
    > is a Solaris-advocate. He does not really like linux.

    Wow! That sounds a lot like Hadron. Except he doesn't seem to be a
    Solaris advocate. He doesn't seem to be much of an advocate of
    anything. I've never seen such a down-in-the-mouth person.

    >> Liarmutt, Roy et al simply pea**** around amongst
    >> the floaters in COLA.

    *splorf*

    What a ****ing hypocrite.

    > Even /if/ that were true, it would still be a lot more positive than
    > anything you, flatfish, DFS and other usenet filth permeate in several
    > groups

    Hadron is an anti-advocate.

    Now, if Hadron were an honest poster, he would quickly discern that no
    one is buying his statements. And he would become more civil, and
    correct his behavior in other ways, including the addition of
    truth-telling to his postings.

    But Hadron is not an honest poster. He is not changing his ways. He
    enjoys insulting people, and he enjoys the conflict that ensues. He
    continues with the "Liarmutt" bull****.

    So I don't think he will mind if I start calling him... nah. I'll stick
    with Queeg.

    --
    Anything anybody can say about America is true.
    -- Emmett Grogan

  10. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    On 2008-10-17, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 00:05:07 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    > Joerg Schilling works for OpenSolaris &, as i've pointed out elsewhere,
    > some say that his blogs reflect hostility towards Linux.
    > There's a long thread in the "linux-kernel" mailing list from 2005:
    > Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

    This is from README.ATAPI in the cdrecord distribution:

    When cdrecord has problems with ATAPI drives on Linux this usually is a
    Linux kernel problem. The Linux kernel maintainers unfortunately refuse
    to correct their current IDE driver system setup which does not support
    ATAPI by default. ATAPI _is_ SCSI over IDE transport. It is hard to
    understand why Linux still uses a default driver setup that is designed
    for IDE CD-ROM drives made before 1994 (using a IDE compat mode that
    only allows to use the drive read-only) and does not handle to send SCSI
    commands to ATAPI drives by default. This makes it hard for people who
    just started with Linux to do CD-writing on Linux if they own an ATAPI
    drive. Both Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox admit that they don't own a
    CD/DVD writer, how should they know about the problems?

    There are bugs with the DMA implementation that are known for many years
    but they don't get fixed.

    Do you think he is correct in his criticism of the Linux kernel's
    implementation of the ATAPI protocol?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  11. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:50:28 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I still remember when Jorge rounded on Liarnut and identified him as the
    >>> technical incompetent troll he had run into in another forum.

    >> Certainly, Hadron Quark. And the best part of it: You can even supply the
    >> Msg-IDs for your claim...

    > No need for a message ID, I can give you the straight story.
    >
    > I simply questioned Jörg's interpretation of something, and thereafter
    > Jörg labelled me as a troll.
    >
    > I don't recall at all any kind of "incompetence" being involved.
    >
    > That's just another Hadron confabulation.
    >
    > Besides, Jörg is well-known for his difficulty in interaction with human
    > beings:
    >
    > http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/68828/index.html
    >
    > bye Joerg
    > doogie: you have an interesting definition for 'interact with
    > people' that means 'make them want to jump off cliffs'
    >
    >>> Jorge contributes products.

    >> He *also* contributes strife. For no good reason, to boot. To top it off, he
    >> is a Solaris-advocate. He does not really like linux.

    > Wow! That sounds a lot like Hadron. Except he doesn't seem to be a
    > Solaris advocate. He doesn't seem to be much of an advocate of
    > anything. I've never seen such a down-in-the-mouth person.
    >
    >>> Liarmutt, Roy et al simply pea**** around amongst
    >>> the floaters in COLA.

    > *splorf*
    >
    > What a ****ing hypocrite.
    >
    >> Even /if/ that were true, it would still be a lot more positive than
    >> anything you, flatfish, DFS and other usenet filth permeate in several
    >> groups

    > Hadron is an anti-advocate.
    >
    > Now, if Hadron were an honest poster, he would quickly discern that no
    > one is buying his statements. And he would become more civil, and
    > correct his behavior in other ways, including the addition of
    > truth-telling to his postings.
    >
    > But Hadron is not an honest poster. He is not changing his ways. He
    > enjoys insulting people, and he enjoys the conflict that ensues.

    He does that in every newsgroup he's been in.

    > He continues with the "Liarmutt" bull****.

    > So I don't think he will mind if I start calling him... nah. I'll stick
    > with Queeg.

    I'll stick with "Quack" (derived from his original nym 'hadron quark'),
    which is an old term for a fraudulent person.
    From the OED: a person who pretends, professionally or publicly, to
    skill, knowledge, or qualifications he or she does not possess; a
    charlatan.

    Fits the troll very well IMO.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hadron Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  12. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    After takin' a swig o' grog, William Poaster belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:50:28 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> So I don't think he will mind if I start calling him... nah. I'll stick
    >> with Queeg.

    > I'll stick with "Quack" (derived from his original nym 'hadron quark'),
    > which is an old term for a fraudulent person.
    > From the OED: a person who pretends, professionally or publicly, to
    > skill, knowledge, or qualifications he or she does not possess; a
    > charlatan.
    >
    > Fits the troll very well IMO.

    Queeg (and Ahab) also work, IMHO.

    Here's a note straight from flatso's handbook:

    --
    Q: How can I choose what groups to post in? ...
    Q: How about an example?

    A: Ok. Let's say you want to report that Gretzky has been traded from the
    Oilers to the Kings. Now right away you might think rec.sport.hockey
    would be enough. WRONG. Many more people might be interested. This is a
    big trade! Since it's a NEWS article, it belongs in the news.* hierarchy
    as well. If you are a news admin, or there is one on your machine, try
    news.admin. If not, use news.misc.

    The Oilers are probably interested in geology, so try sci.physics. He is
    a big star, so post to sci.astro, and sci.space because they are also
    interested in stars. Next, his name is Polish sounding. So post to
    soc.culture.polish. But that group doesn't exist, so cross-post to
    news.groups suggesting it should be created. With this many groups of
    interest, your article will be quite bizarre, so post to talk.bizarre as
    well. (And post to comp.std.mumps, since they hardly get any articles
    there, and a "comp" group will propagate your article further.)

    You may also find it is more fun to post the article once in each group.
    If you list all the newsgroups in the same article, some newsreaders will
    only show the the article to the reader once! Don't tolerate this.
    -- Brad Templeton, _Emily Postnews Answers Your Questions on Netiquette_

  13. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    William Poaster wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:50:28 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    Yes, we have three Linux-Pimps standing on an Usenet corner pimping each
    other.

  14. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 07:03:44 -0400, Linux Pimps wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:50:28 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>>

    > Yes, we have three Linux-Pimps standing on an Usenet corner pimping each
    > other.

    The problem is that they don't have any Johns.
    Must like Linux has so very few desktop users.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  15. Re: Ballmer says skip Vista

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >But Hadron is not an honest poster. He is not changing his ways. He
    >enjoys insulting people, and he enjoys the conflict that ensues. He
    >continues with the "Liarmutt" bull****.

    In short, Quack is a fscking asshole.

+ Reply to Thread