[News] EA Does Damage Control After DRM Fiasco - Linux

  1. [News] EA Does Damage Control After DRM Fiasco

    Players don’t care about DRM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Before engaging brain, the PR bimbo or bimbette will spout "only a minority
    | of users have been effected".
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ayers-care-drm

    EA: 99.8% of gamers don't care about DRM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And if he really doesn't like DRM then they should figure out another way to
    | solve the piracy problem. A community/enterprise version approach akin to
    | open source might be one way to get things started.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10067147-62.html

    Lies.

    How marketing melts your brain

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Propaganda machine
    |
    | Isn’t marketing affecting us a bit too much? Most of us heard of the word
    | fanboy, but besides the dictionary definition, what does this word mean in
    | today’s IT landscape? In most cases, the fanboy is the slave of one or more
    | brands. The fanboys did not willingly choose this path. It’s an unconscious
    | decision, one which is sown and carefully grown into their minds by the
    | fantastically skilled and able minds that concert the deluge of advertising
    | all around us. The regular consumer is turned into a fanboy or fangirl
    | sometimes by his or her entourage, sometimes by the reputation and
    | advertising of a brand.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ng-melts-brain

    Recent:

    EA in Spore DRM climbdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Critics claim DRM limiting those who bought the hotly anticipated sim to only
    | three installs amounts to no more than renting the software out, rather than
    | selling it. DRM also prevented players from creating more than one user
    | account per copy of Spore — even though the game's literature specifically
    | states otherwise.
    |
    | As what is now a matter of routine with modern PC games, pirates managed to
    | crack the game's DRM restrictions within a day of the game's release and
    | hosted this de-restricted content on certain nefarious file-sharing websites.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...orcement_bill/

    Did 'Spore' copy protections backfire on EA?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Enraged by what they call "draconian" copyright protections, thousands of
    | people flooded Amazon.com to give the game a one-star rating. And now there
    | seems to be another movement afoot, one that is far more likely to hit EA
    | where it counts.
    |
    | What's the fuss about? Electronic Arts imposed copyright protections that
    | limited the number of times a user can install the game to three. EA has
    | likened the system to the limits imposed on songs bought through Apple's
    | iTunes store (though in the case of iTunes, users can easily manage their
    | libraries by specifying which computers are authorized to play their
    | purchased content).
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

    DRM Helps Spore Make History as The Most Pirated Game Ever

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Spore, a Sim-like game about the evolution of creatures, was recently
    | released as one of the most anticipated games of the year. Our initial
    | impressions were high with the release of SporeCreator. However, Spore itself
    | failed to meet our expectations. In the end, we found the game to be too
    | simple for our tastes.
    `----

    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._game_ever.php

    What EA's botched Spore launch could learn from Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If there is one thing that open source has taught us it's that there
    | are "users" and there are "customers". Odds are that all of your customers
    | will be users first, taking your software for a test drive and then deciding
    | if they want to pay for it. It's all about getting people to consume your
    | software.
    |
    | The video game industry remains one of the last hold-outs in the war against
    | consumption. Instead of encouraging more use, EA royally botched the launch
    | of Spore with a seriously misguided DRM choice.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10041210-62.html

    EA to PC Gamers: “Install 3 times? Buy another copy”

    | This can be triggered via using up your 3 activations and each time you
    | change a piece of hardware, reformat your computer or install/upgrade a new
    | operating system, it takes up one of the activations.
    `----

    http://www.simprograms.com/?p=692

    Mass Effect DRM goes too far

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PC GAMERS WHO have had their fill of online activation headaches with Windows
    | will be pretty miffed to hear the latest anti-piracy scheme being dreamed up
    | by top games publishers.
    |
    | In a post on Bioware's forums, producer Derek French has confirmed that two
    | of the biggest PC titles of the year - Will Wright's Spore and the Xbox 360
    | conversion of Mass Effect - will require ongoing, rolling 10-day activation
    | over the internet.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...award-worst-pc

    Related:

    Vista DRM to slow down high-end graphics? [update 1]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We've posted before on how the Vista brand will change the PC gaming
    | market. But how will the OS affect the gameplay experience itself?
    | An in-depth analysis of the operating system's draconian digital
    | rights management features suggests gamers might not be too happy
    | with some of the system's unintended performance effects.
    `----

    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/25/vi...-end-graphics/

  2. Re: [News] EA Does Damage Control After DRM Fiasco

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > EA: 99.8% of gamers don't care about DRM
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | And if he really doesn't like DRM then they should figure out another way to
    > | solve the piracy problem. A community/enterprise version approach akin to
    > | open source might be one way to get things started.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10067147-62.html

    Horse****. Most people *do* care very much about DRM. Even the guys that
    can appreciate the publishers' position as regards piracy mainly
    consider the DRM has gone totally anal these days.

  3. Re: [News] EA Does Damage Control After DRM Fiasco

+ Reply to Thread