10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux

This is a discussion on 10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux ; I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage on windows in real life. I would like you guys to give it a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 373

  1. 10 reasons why should one use linux

    I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage
    on windows in real life.

    I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:

    http://www.leo-sa.com/?p=21

    best regards!
    Leonardo Sá

  2. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Leo wrote:
    > I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    > decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage
    > on windows in real life.
    >
    > I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    > out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:

    Here you moron, because you don't know jack about Vista.

    I don't see post about malware issues posted by posters anymore in the
    Vista NG(s).

    Address Space Load Randomization

    Despite measures like Data Execution Prevention and enhanced compiler
    error checking, malware authors continue to find buffer overflow
    vulnerabilities that allow them to infect network-facing processes like
    Internet Explorer®, Windows services, and third-party applications to
    gain a foothold on a system. Once they have managed to infect a process,
    however, they must use Windows APIs to accomplish their ultimate goal of
    reading user data or establishing a permanent presence by modifying user
    or system configuration settings.

    Connecting an application with API entry points exported by DLLs is
    something usually handled by the operating system loader, but these
    types of malware infection don't get the benefit of the loader's
    services. This hasn't posed a problem for malware on previous versions
    of Windows because for any given Windows release, system executable
    images and DLLs always load at the same location, allowing malware to
    assume that APIs reside at fixed addresses.

    The Windows Vista Address Space Load Randomization (ASLR) feature makes
    it impossible for malware to know where APIs are located by loading
    system DLLs and executables at a different location every time the
    system boots. Early in the boot process, the Memory Manager picks a
    random DLL image-load bias from one of 256 64KB-aligned addresses in the
    16MB region at the top of the user-mode address space. As DLLs that have
    the new dynamic-relocation flag in their image header load into a
    process, the Memory Manager packs them into memory starting at the
    image-load bias address and working its way down.

    Executables that have the flag set get a similar treatment, loading at a
    random 64KB-aligned point within 16MB of the base load address stored in
    their image header. Further, if a given DLL or executable loads again
    after being unloaded by all the processes using it, the Memory Manager
    reselects a random location at which to load it. Figure 7 shows an
    example address-space layout for a 32-bit Windows Vista system,
    including the areas from which ASLR picks the image-load bias and
    executable load address.

    To help prevent malicious software from silently installing and causing
    computer-wide infection, Microsoft developed the UAC feature. Unlike
    previous versions of Windows, when an administrator logs on to a
    computer running Windows Vista, the user’s full administrator access
    token is split into two access tokens: a full administrator access token
    and a standard user access token. During the logon process,
    authorization and access control components that identify an
    administrator are removed, resulting in a standard user access token.
    The standard user access token is then used to start the desktop, the
    Explorer.exe process. Because all applications inherit their access
    control data from the initial launch of the desktop, they all run as a
    standard user as well.

    After an administrator logs on, the full administrator access token is
    not invoked until the user attempts to perform an administrative task

    The admin approval mode in Windows Vista illustrates how the security
    features of the operating system have evolved beyond Windows XP. The
    administrator approval mode is active by default for all the users that
    are members of the local administrator group.

    With the introduction of the User Account Control in Windows Vista,
    Microsoft has labored to deliver a balance between security via
    privilege limitations and functionality. In Windows XP, a standard user
    found that the actions they were able to perform were confined to the
    point of lost functionality.

    This is also one of the reasons why in Windows XP, standard user
    accounts are less than popular. In this aspect, the security delivered
    by limiting the administrator privileges was traded off for complete
    functionality. In Windows Vista, Microsoft has integrated a common
    denominator in the UAC settings: the admin approval mode.

    "In this mode (which is on by default for all members of the local
    administrators group), every user with administrator privileges runs
    normally as a standard user; but when an application or the system needs
    to do something that requires administrator permissions, the user is
    prompted to approve the task explicitly. Unlike the "super user on"
    function from UNIX that leaves the process elevated until the user
    explicitly turns it off, admin approval mode enables administrator
    privileges for just the task that was approved, automatically returning
    the user to standard user when the task is completed," explained Jim
    Allchin, Microsoft Co-President, Platform and Services Division.

    Allchin went on to explain that the functionality is simply a
    convenience feature designed for administrators. The admin approval mode
    does not create a security boundary between processes. In this context,
    in the absence of process isolation, interference is possible.

    "If an administrator performs multiple tasks on the same desktop, then
    malware may potentially be able to inject or interfere with an elevated
    process from a non-elevated process. Thus, the most secure configuration
    for Windows Vista is to run processes in two separate accounts, with
    only administrator tasks performed using an administrator account and
    all other tasks performed under the standard user account," added Allchin.

    To accommodate existing software for Windows that writes to protected
    file directories, Microsoft provides a backward compatibility technology
    known as Virtualization. While virtualization enables older applications
    to run without programmer intervention, it does not guarantee correct
    behaviour, and many applications will need to be updated to comply with
    UAC restrictions. Virtualization is often referred to as data
    redirection because it functions by funnelling attempted access to
    protected locations to new locations stored under user profiles. For
    example, if a legacy application attempts to write to the Program Files
    directory, UAC silently redirects that operation to an unprotected
    user-specific folder.

    Virtualization Process

    When an application installer attempts to write a file called Entry.txt
    in C:\Program Files, it is silently redirected to a Virtual Store
    directory located inside the current user's account. To the application,
    things proceed as normal, and it has no idea that it is being
    redirected. To the user, the application, too, still appears to be
    located at the old, expected location. But because the application is
    not access system-wide file locations, it cannot be used to harm the
    system. And on multi-user systems, each user will have isolated, local
    copies of redirected files. When this action is being invoked by a admin
    user, the file entry is done in Program Files itself. This is depicted
    in the figures below.

    Applications should not attempt to modify WRP-protected resources
    because these are used by Windows and other applications. If an
    application attempts to modify a WRP-protected resource, it can have the
    following results.

    Application installers that attempt to replace, modify, or delete
    critical Windows files or registry keys may fail to install the
    application and will receive an error message stating that access to the
    resource was denied.

    Applications that attempt to add or remove sub-keys or change the values
    of protected registry keys may fail and will receive an error message
    stating that access to the resource was denied.
    Applications that rely on writing any information into protected
    registry keys, folders, or files may fail.

    Permission for full access to modify WRP-protected resources is
    restricted to TrustedInstaller. WRP-protected resources can be changed
    only using the Supported Resource Replacement Mechanisms with the
    Windows Modules Installer service.

    WRP protects files with the following extensions that are installed by
    Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista: .dll, .exe, .ocx, and .sys.

    WRP protects critical files that are installed by Windows Server 2008 or
    Windows Vista with the following extensions: .acm, .ade, .adp, .app,
    ..asa, .asp, .aspx, .ax, .bas, .bat, .bin, .cer, .chm, .clb, .cmd, .cnt,
    ..cnv, .com, .cpl, .cpx, .crt, .csh, .dll, .drv, .dtd, .exe, .fxp, .grp,
    ..h1s, .hlp, .hta, .ime, .inf, .ins, .isp, .its, .js, .jse, .ksh, .lnk,
    ..mad, .maf, .mag, .mam, .man, .maq, .mar, .mas, .mat, .mau, .mav, .maw,
    ..mda, .mdb, .mde, .mdt, .mdw, .mdz, .msc, .msi, .msp, .mst, .mui, .nls,
    ..ocx, .ops, .pal, .pcd, .pif, .prf, .prg, .pst, .reg, .scf, .scr, .sct,
    ..shb, .shs, .sys, .tlb, .tsp, .url, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vsmacros, .vss,
    ..vst, .vsw, .ws, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh, .xsd, and .xsl.

    WRP protects critical folders. A folder containing only WRP-protected
    files may be locked so that only the Windows trusted installer is able
    to create files or subfolders in the folder. A folder may be partially
    locked to enable Administrators to create files and subfolders in the
    folder.

    User Account Control (UAC) is, arguably, one of the most controversial
    features in Windows Vista. Why did Microsoft add all those popups to
    Windows? Does it actually improve security? Doesn’t everyone just click
    “continue”? Has anyone in Redmond heard the feedback on users and
    reviewers? Has anyone seen a tv commercial about this feature?

    In the course of working on Windows 7 we have taken a hard look at UAC –
    examining customer feedback, volumes of data, the software ecosystem,
    and Windows itself. Let’s start by looking at why UAC came to be and our
    approach in Vista.

    And finally, last week's attack report, but hey, nothing is bullet proof.

    http://www.zone-h.com/

  3. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:30:40 -0700, Leo wrote:

    > I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    > decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage on
    > windows in real life.
    >
    > I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    > out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:
    >
    > http://www.leo-sa.com/?p=21
    >
    > best regards!
    > Leonardo Sá

    Nice honest article Leonardo, well done.
    Your enthusiasm and excitement for Linux shine thru in your article.

    Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like "Identity", it's
    just another angry little mother hating pre pubescent self declared
    genius that isn't.

  4. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter claimed:

    > Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like "Identity", it's
    > just another angry little mother hating pre pubescent self declared
    > genius that isn't.

    I'm glad you said "another" one. That blurb would fit the job
    description each and every one of the trolls would answer to be hired
    to troll COLA. But it's especially applicable to Quirk, Mushe Goldfish,
    Doofie and analus_headupus.

    --
    "One world, one web, one program" -- Microsoft promotional ad
    "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein FĂĽehrer" -- Adolf Hitler

  5. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:

    > Leo wrote:
    >> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    >> decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage
    >> on windows in real life.
    >>
    >> I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    >> out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:
    >>

    > Here you moron, because you don't know jack about Vista.

    Vista's "security measures" are an ugly, disorganized heap of annoying and
    ineffective kludges, leading people to completely switch off UAC, or
    blindly click "Allow" with everything that comes up. And here's another
    good example of Microsoft's total incompetence and lack of understanding
    when it comes to proper security:

    http://www.realtime-vista.com/admini..._detection.htm

    "One of the ways Vista tries to determine if an executable is an
    installation is by looking at the filename. If the executable name
    includes the word “setup” or “install” you’ll be prompted. In fact, even
    the characters “uninst” in an executable name can trigger this security
    prompt."

    Now if only those pesky virus and malware writers would adhere to this Good
    Practice of using the string "Setup" or "Install" in the file names of
    their handiwork ...

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  6. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >
    >> Leo wrote:
    >>> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    >>> decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage
    >>> on windows in real life.
    >>>
    >>> I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    >>> out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:
    >>>

    >> Here you moron, because you don't know jack about Vista.

    > Vista's "security measures" are an ugly, disorganized heap of annoying and
    > ineffective kludges, leading people to completely switch off UAC, or
    > blindly click "Allow" with everything that comes up. And here's another
    > good example of Microsoft's total incompetence and lack of understanding
    > when it comes to proper security:
    >
    > http://www.realtime-vista.com/admini..._detection.htm
    >
    > "One of the ways Vista tries to determine if an executable is an
    > installation is by looking at the filename. If the executable name
    > includes the word “setup” or “install” you’ll be prompted. In fact, even
    > the characters “uninst” in an executable name can trigger this security
    > prompt."
    >
    > Now if only those pesky virus and malware writers would adhere to this Good
    > Practice of using the string "Setup" or "Install" in the file names of
    > their handiwork ...
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    lol.

  7. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  8. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:30:40 -0700, Leo wrote:
    >
    >> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    >> decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage on
    >> windows in real life.
    >>
    >> I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    >> out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:
    >>
    >> http://www.leo-sa.com/?p=21
    >>
    >> best regards!
    >> Leonardo Sá

    > Nice honest article Leonardo, well done.
    > Your enthusiasm and excitement for Linux shine thru in your article.
    >

    > Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like "Identity", it's
    > just another angry little mother hating pre pubescent self declared
    > genius that isn't.

    Hey, you shouldn't kill the messenger.

  9. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter claimed:
    >
    >> Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like "Identity", it's
    >> just another angry little mother hating pre pubescent self declared
    >> genius that isn't.

    > I'm glad you said "another" one. That blurb would fit the job
    > description each and every one of the trolls would answer to be hired
    > to troll COLA. But it's especially applicable to Quirk, Mushe Goldfish,
    > Doofie and analus_headupus.

    Hey, you shouldn't kill the messenger.

  10. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >
    >> Leo wrote:
    >>> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    >>> decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage
    >>> on windows in real life.
    >>>
    >>> I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    >>> out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:
    >>>

    >> Here you moron, because you don't know jack about Vista.

    > Vista's "security measures" are an ugly, disorganized heap of annoying and
    > ineffective kludges, leading people to completely switch off UAC, or
    > blindly click "Allow" with everything that comes up. And here's another
    > good example of Microsoft's total incompetence and lack of understanding
    > when it comes to proper security:
    >
    > http://www.realtime-vista.com/admini..._detection.htm
    >
    > "One of the ways Vista tries to determine if an executable is an
    > installation is by looking at the filename. If the executable name
    > includes the word “setup” or “install” you’ll be prompted. In fact, even
    > the characters “uninst” in an executable name can trigger this security
    > prompt."
    >
    > Now if only those pesky virus and malware writers would adhere to this Good
    > Practice of using the string "Setup" or "Install" in the file names of
    > their handiwork ...
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    But hey, I don't see too many posts about malware issues in the Vista NG(s).

  11. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Identity wrote:

    >>> Here you moron, because you don't know jack about Vista.

    >> Vista's "security measures" are an ugly, disorganized heap of annoying
    >> and
    >> ineffective kludges, leading people to completely switch off UAC, or
    >> blindly click "Allow" with everything that comes up. And here's another
    >> good example of Microsoft's total incompetence and lack of understanding
    >> when it comes to proper security:
    >>
    >> http://www.realtime-vista.com/admini..._detection.htm
    >>

    >> "One of the ways Vista tries to determine if an executable is an
    >> installation is by looking at the filename. If the executable name
    >> includes the word “setup” or “install” you’ll be prompted. In fact,
    >> even
    >> the characters “uninst” in an executable name can trigger this security
    >> prompt."
    >>
    >> Now if only those pesky virus and malware writers would adhere to this
    >> Good
    >> Practice of using the string "Setup" or "Install" in the file names of
    >> their handiwork ...
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker

    > lol.

    I don't see too many posts about malware issues in the Vista NG(s).

  12. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    William Poaster wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:06:52 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:

    >>> Vista's "security measures" are an ugly, disorganized heap of annoying and
    >>> ineffective kludges, leading people to completely switch off UAC, or
    >>> blindly click "Allow" with everything that comes up. And here's another
    >>> good example of Microsoft's total incompetence and lack of understanding
    >>> when it comes to proper security:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.realtime-vista.com/admini..._detection.htm
    >>>
    >>> "One of the ways Vista tries to determine if an executable is an
    >>> installation is by looking at the filename. If the executable name
    >>> includes the word ´setupˇ or ´installˇ you˙ll be prompted. In fact, even
    >>> the characters ´uninstˇ in an executable name can trigger this security
    >>> prompt."
    >>>
    >>> Now if only those pesky virus and malware writers would adhere to this Good
    >>> Practice of using the string "Setup" or "Install" in the file names of
    >>> their handiwork ...
    >>>
    >>> Richard Rasker

    >> lol.

    He can't stop me.

  13. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:30:40 -0700, Leo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux. I
    >>> decided to write that to stand out points where linux takes advantage on
    >>> windows in real life.
    >>>
    >>> I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and eventually point
    >>> out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the URL:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.leo-sa.com/?p=21
    >>>
    >>> best regards!
    >>> Leonardo Sá

    >> Nice honest article Leonardo, well done.
    >> Your enthusiasm and excitement for Linux shine thru in your article.
    >>

    >> Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like "Identity", it's
    >> just another angry little mother hating pre pubescent self declared
    >> genius that isn't.
    >>

    > Hey, you shouldn't kill the messenger.

    Your only "message" is that you are "just another angry little mother hating
    pre pubescent self declared genius that isn't"

    Rarely has one seen a poster as stupid as you are
    --
    I say you need to visit Clues 'R' Us. They are having a special on
    slightly used clues.

  14. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >
    >> Terry Porter wrote:

    >>> Nice honest article Leonardo, well done.
    >>> Your enthusiasm and excitement for Linux shine thru in your article.
    >>>

    >>> Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like "Identity", it's
    >>> just another angry little mother hating pre pubescent self declared
    >>> genius that isn't.
    >>>

    >> Hey, you shouldn't kill the messenger.

    > Your only "message" is that you are "just another angry little mother hating
    > pre pubescent self declared genius that isn't"
    >
    > Rarely has one seen a poster as stupid as you are

    You should take a hard look at yourself Petey, pot calling the kettle
    black. :-)

  15. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Identity wrote:

    >>> Hey, you shouldn't kill the messenger.

    >> Your only "message" is that you are "just another angry little mother
    >> hating pre pubescent self declared genius that isn't"
    >>
    >> Rarely has one seen a poster as stupid as you are

    > You should take a hard look at yourself Petey, pot calling the kettle
    > black. :-)

    Really? Who was it then who claimed "30 years experience" in computers and
    other quite obvious lies?
    That was you. And to do so needs enormous stupidity. You singlehandedly make
    windows users look the retards many really are. In reality you have a lot
    less smarts than a retarded 12 years old. And your sexual allusions would
    make a 15 years old smirch in shame
    --
    Law of Probable Dispersal:
    Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

  16. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > Leo wrote:
    >
    >> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu
    >> linux. I decided to write that to stand out points where
    >> linux takes advantage on windows in real life.
    >>
    >> I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and
    >> eventually point out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the
    >> http://www.leo-sa.com/?p=21
    >>
    >> best regards! Leonardo Sá

    > Nice honest article Leonardo, well done. Your enthusiasm and
    > excitement for Linux shine thru in your article.

    Agreed.

    2. Fast release time

    Thats particularly true with ubuntu: there is a new version
    comming around every 6 months with new and improved features.
    This beats by far the release cycle of windows, that can be as
    long as 2 or 3 years. Another good point is that your oppinion
    matters. If you find something wrong with your system, you can
    file a bug on launchpad, and that will go directly to the
    developers of the system.
    Following are the automatically notified patches/upgrades
    installed on my system over the past week:

    Commit Log for Fri Oct 17 05:35:43 2008

    Upgraded the following packages:
    indi (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kalzium (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kalzium-data (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kanagram (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kbruch (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kdebase-bin (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu7.3) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy2
    kdebase-bin-kde3 (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu7.3) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy2
    kdeedu-data (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kdelibs-data (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu7.1) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kdelibs4c2a (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu7.1) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    keduca (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    khangman (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    khelpcenter (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu7.3) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy2
    kig (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kmplot (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kpercentage (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kstars (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kstars-data (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    ktouch (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    ktuberling (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu1) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kturtle (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kverbos (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kvoctrain (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    kwordquiz (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    libarts1c2a (1.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 1.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    libartsc0 (1.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 1.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    libkdeedu3 (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu2) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    libkdegames1 (4:3.5.9-0ubuntu1) to 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1

    Commit Log for Thu Oct 16 04:05:48 2008

    Upgraded the following packages:
    cupsys (1.3.7-1ubuntu3) to 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    cupsys-bsd (1.3.7-1ubuntu3) to 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    cupsys-client (1.3.7-1ubuntu3) to 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    cupsys-common (1.3.7-1ubuntu3) to 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    libcupsimage2 (1.3.7-1ubuntu3) to 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    libcupsys2 (1.3.7-1ubuntu3) to 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1

    Commit Log for Wed Oct 15 21:37:48 2008

    Upgraded the following packages:
    dbus (1.1.20-1ubuntu2) to 1.1.20-1ubuntu3.1
    dbus-x11 (1.1.20-1ubuntu2) to 1.1.20-1ubuntu3.1
    jockey-common (0.3.3-0ubuntu8) to 0.3.3-0ubuntu8.1
    jockey-gtk (0.3.3-0ubuntu8) to 0.3.3-0ubuntu8.1
    libdbus-1-3 (1.1.20-1ubuntu2) to 1.1.20-1ubuntu3.1
    linux-generic (2.6.24.19.21) to 2.6.24.21.23
    linux-headers-generic (2.6.24.19.21) to 2.6.24.21.23
    linux-image-generic (2.6.24.19.21) to 2.6.24.21.23
    linux-restricted-modules-common (2.6.24.13-19.45) to 2.6.24.14-21.51
    linux-restricted-modules-generic (2.6.24.19.21) to 2.6.24.21.23
    spring (0.76-b1~2ubuntu7) to 0.77b4-0ubuntu1~ppa1
    spring-engine (0.77b3-0ubuntu1~ppa2) to 0.77b4-0ubuntu1~ppa2
    xorg-driver-fglrx (1:7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.13-19.45) to
    1:7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.14-21.51

    Installed the following packages:
    linux-headers-2.6.24-21 (2.6.24-21.42)
    linux-headers-2.6.24-21-generic (2.6.24-21.42)
    linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic (2.6.24-21.42)
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-21-generic (2.6.24.14-21.51)
    linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-21-generic (2.6.24-21.32)

    Commit Log for Tue Oct 14 03:52:10 2008

    Upgraded the following packages:
    hal-info (20080508+git20080601-0ubuntu0.8.04) to
    20081001-0ubuntu1~hardy1

    Commit Log for Mon Oct 13 05:13:55 2008

    Upgraded the following packages:
    sun-java6-bin (6-06-0ubuntu1) to 6-07-3ubuntu2
    sun-java6-jre (6-06-0ubuntu1) to 6-07-3ubuntu2
    sun-java6-plugin (6-06-0ubuntu1) to 6-07-3ubuntu2

    Commit Log for Thu Oct 9 22:17:44 2008

    Upgraded the following packages:
    libruby1.8 (1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.1) to 1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.2
    ruby1.8 (1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.1) to 1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.2

    > Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like
    > "Identity", it's just another angry little mother hating pre
    > pubescent self declared genius that isn't.

    Sad is true. His tenor rings of the potty mouthed Linux-sux/
    VistaKing troll.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  17. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
> [...]

    > linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-21-generic (2.6.24-21.32)
    >
    > Commit Log for Tue Oct 14 03:52:10 2008
    >
    > Upgraded the following packages:
    > hal-info (20080508+git20080601-0ubuntu0.8.04) to 20081001-0ubuntu1~hardy1
    >
    > Commit Log for Mon Oct 13 05:13:55 2008
    >
    > Upgraded the following packages:
    > sun-java6-bin (6-06-0ubuntu1) to 6-07-3ubuntu2
    > sun-java6-jre (6-06-0ubuntu1) to 6-07-3ubuntu2
    > sun-java6-plugin (6-06-0ubuntu1) to 6-07-3ubuntu2
    >
    > Commit Log for Thu Oct 9 22:17:44 2008
    >
    > Upgraded the following packages:
    > libruby1.8 (1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.1) to 1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.2
    > ruby1.8 (1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.1) to 1.8.6.111-2ubuntu1.2
    >
    >> Don't worry about 'reviews' by sad little Wintrolls like
    >> "Identity", it's just another angry little mother hating pre
    >> pubescent self declared genius that isn't.

    > Sad is true. His tenor rings of the potty mouthed Linux-sux/ VistaKing

    No, I am a human being like you are. I am fan of all O/S(s) including
    Linux, as I have Suse Linux, liked it.

    I am not a fan of this chicken-**** NG and the regular Linux user in it.

  18. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > Leo wrote:
    >
    >> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu
    >> linux. I decided to write that to stand out points where
    >> linux takes advantage on windows in real life.
    >>
    >> I would like you guys to give it a read, comment, and
    >> eventually point out if i said anything wrong. Here goes the
    >
    > Here you moron, because you don't know jack about Vista.

    This is an example of:

    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's
    ability to cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from
    obviously incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call
    them netcops, netnannies, homosexuals.
    also

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal
    use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents. Your
    experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    > I don't see post about malware issues posted by posters
    > anymore in the Vista NG(s).
    >

    > Address Space Load Randomization

    > The Windows Vista Address Space Load Randomization (ASLR)
    > feature makes it impossible for malware to know where APIs are
    > located by loading system DLLs and executables at a different
    > location every time the system boots. Early in the boot
    > process, the Memory Manager picks a random DLL image-load bias
    > from one of 256 64KB-aligned addresses in the 16MB region at
    > the top of the user-mode address space. As DLLs that have the
    > new dynamic-relocation flag in their image header load into a
    > process, the Memory Manager packs them into memory starting
    > at the image-load bias address and working its way down.

    Oh, yeah ....

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...0;fp;16;fpid;1

    Vista laid low by new malware figures
    27 percent of PCs running Vista compromised by at least one piece
    of malware
    John E. Dunn (Techworld.com) 20/05/2008 07:15:10

    It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be
    heading for the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last
    week's attack on the platform with new figures that appear to
    back up its claim that Vista is almost as vulnerable as its
    predecessors.

    According to analysis from the Australian company's ThreatFire
    user base, 58,000 PCs running Vista were compromised by at least
    one piece of malware over the six months to May 2008, equivalent
    to 27 percent of all Vista machines probed. Vista made up 12.6
    percent, or 190,692, of the 1,513,502 machines running Windows in
    the user base.

    In total, Vista suffered 121,380 instances of malware from its
    190,000 user base, a rate of malware detection per system is
    proportionally lower than that of XP, which saw 1,319,144 malware
    infections from a user base of 1,297,828 machines, but it
    indicates a problem that is worse than Microsoft has been
    admitting to.
    Oh yeah. OTOH:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
    hacking contest

    Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    By Dan Goodin in Vancouver → More by this author
    Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

    CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the security of
    Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a Windows and Mac
    machine felled, only the Linux box remained standing following
    the three-day competition.
    OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Debian security unsurpassed.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  19. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > [quote]
    > Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
    > hacking contest
    >

    > OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Debian security unsurpassed.

    But in the mean time Linux is being hammered.

    http://www.zone-h.com/

    If the server platform is being hammered what makes you think that the
    workstation versions are going to be any better in the wrong hands?

    What it really comes down to is who is sitting behind the wheel and is
    doing the driving.

    What? You're an x Windows user that crossed over to Linux and you are a
    guru's guru, right?

  20. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Oh, yeah ....
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...0;fp;16;fpid;1
    >
    > [quote]
    > Vista laid low by new malware figures
    > 27 percent of PCs running Vista compromised by at least one piece
    > of malware
    > John E. Dunn (Techworld.com) 20/05/2008 07:15:10

    OK, so Vista is more secure than XP, which boasts a 50+% infection rate.
    But it's a wet paper bag compared to Linux, where the first confirmed
    desktop infection in the wild still hasn't been reported.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

+ Reply to Thread