10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux

This is a discussion on 10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux ; Linux Pimps writes: > Peter Köhlmann wrote: >> Hadron wrote: >> >>> "Phil Da Lick!" writes: >>> >>>> Hadron wrote: >>>>> "Phil Da Lick!" writes: >>>>> >>>>>> Hadron wrote: >>>>>>>> Except of course I wasn't talking about motor bikes. Or ...

  1. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Linux Pimps writes:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Everyone? You. The man who keeps snipping.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a hint "Phil" - I asked you because of your double standards.
    >>>

    >> Yup. *This* from the very same Hadron Quark who can't correctly attribute
    >> (he pretends to use Gnus) and then blames the person he mistakes.

    Liar.

    Why would I pretend to use Gnus? You are insane man. Why would I pretend
    to use Debian? You are crackers. Out and out loco. Why are you and Marti
    so impressed? Because its not some little girls app like Knode and takes
    some skill to configure and operate? Gnus is far and away the most
    powerful email and news client out there IMO and so was worth the time
    investment. And the considerable amount of time I spent feeding back to
    various emacs applications to get better integration. But you never
    contributed to OSS in your life so you have no clue. You are a closed
    source Windows SW Developer and therefore a hypocrite to boot.

    Phil Da Tard is famous for having the attention span of a gold fish. It
    is not a surprise that you come riding in to shill him when he loses
    again.

    Tell me, how much of YOUR R&D do you release for FREE for your
    competitors to use? Did you ask Phil Da 'Tard about his views on that?
    Apparently, when he's not arranging letters on wooden frsmes to print
    the parish mag, he's of the opinion that all R&D should be given away for
    free. Do YOU agree with that Peter? Do tell. Do you?

    --
    "Nice to know I live in your head, bitch."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  2. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Does your motorcycle run on Linux? So why were you
    >>> talking about it here on comp.os.linux.advocacy?

    >> This troll has a problem with both arrogance and illiteracy.

    > He asked you a simple question which you seem to have exempted
    > yourself from answering.

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other
    operating systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the
    newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for
    the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to
    discuss Linux, for the betterment of the Linux community and the
    promotion and development of Linux. It supports this as a place
    for those who would like to learn more about Linux to come to
    learn from those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
    place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to
    discredit Linux.
    Discussion was a part of Linux advocacy camaraderie. In an
    unmoderated forum, such discussion of friendship is permissible
    as long as most of the forum participants (minus trolls) are in
    agreement.

    > And for that matter, how much of Roy's patent crap has to do
    > with the discussion of Linux vs other operating systems? It
    > doesn't.
    >
    > You guys are far more off topic than we are.

    Otherwise, such discussion as:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4754b4f96c2add

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: "DFS"
    Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:09:18 -0400
    Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After
    Almost 2 years

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > BTW I am heading down your way in November...
    > How's the gas crunch?
    > Last time I was there it was the water crunch...

    Over the last couple weeks, I'd say at 25% of stations have no
    gas at any given time, so no real hardship. Prices are $3.80 to
    $4.00 for regular unleaded.

    As far as I know we (Gwinnett County) are still under an outdoor
    watering ban.

    Plenty of beer down here, though! I'm having a Tsingtao Lager
    later tonight.
    would have been considered as off-topic. However, I know of no
    Linux advocate that called it as such.

    Problem is both Moshe and DFS seem to have an inability to carry
    on a decent conversation without providing an insulting barb.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  3. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > Terry Porter writes:
    >> Identity wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am not a fan of this chicken-**** NG and the regular
    >>> Linux user in it.

    >> Then why continue to come here and look like an idiot ?

    > Looking AT an idiot more like it. It's good you're here Terry.
    > No wonder High Plains Hypocrite was so pleased. You can take
    > over his mantle as the dumbest poster in COLA.

    Well, well, well, if it isn't the Hadron troll droning on again
    with its inability to respect forum poster nyms. Really sad,
    here is the place to read all about it:

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ark-troll.html

    Name: Hadron Quark (aka: Hadron, Damian O'Leary, Hans Schneider)

    Traits:
    * Homophobe (another closet gay wintroll?)
    * Often changes previous posters text in followups (see below)
    * Microsoft apologist
    * Habitual liar
    * [snip]
    * Exhibits serious reading comprehension difficulties
    * Quark is too stupid to understand when the point above is
    explained to him over and over again

    > You've gone a long way to doing that already with such
    > wonderful screw ups as "load the iptables" when you previously
    > pointed out that "unload" was unacceptable. As for your postin
    > silly little NAT tunneling articles , well. Just what did you
    > think you were doing? Who did you think it was impressing.
    > This is done everywhere and is nothing new.

    More drivel, this is an example of:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    12. Blame your stupidity and lies on your opponent. Blame
    your own stupidity on the Linux advocate you are dealing with.
    Such as when you have made an unsupportable claim that suggest a
    list of details and your are asked to present your non-existent
    list reply with, "I don't have to list them for you; you aren't
    bright enough to know what you're missing by using X instead of a
    real Y, I'm not going to explain it to you." Then hope that
    nobody reading the thread realizes that your statement translates
    as, "I lack the knowledge or facts needed to counter your
    position or your position is too complete and accurate to be
    refuted. So, I will say things to sound superior to avoid
    admitting you are right."

    48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting. No
    matter how little you understand of the issues being discussed in
    a thread, post anyway. If you don't know what you are talking
    about just pretend that you do.

    >> My advice to casual readers of COLA, killfile this twisted
    >> and bitter child.

    > No one wants your advice. But I know you'll give it anyway.
    > It's why COLA exists.

    See Paragraph 12 above.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  4. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Discussion was a part of Linux advocacy camaraderie. In an
    > unmoderated forum, such discussion of friendship is permissible
    > as long as most of the forum participants (minus trolls) are in
    > agreement.

    ha!

    You're such a lamer hypocrite weenie, HPT. You think you can justify
    anything you or the "advocates*" say, no matter how off-topic or insulting,
    is OK, but your mealy-mouth retorts are just sad.

    > Problem is both Moshe and DFS seem to have an inability to carry
    > on a decent conversation without providing an insulting barb.

    That's because most Linux "advocates*" are lying, insulting assholes.

  5. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Well, well, well, if it isn't the Hadron troll droning on again
    > with its inability to respect forum poster nyms.

    How many times have you called me 'Doofus'?

  6. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    "DFS" writes:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Well, well, well, if it isn't the Hadron troll droning on again
    >> with its inability to respect forum poster nyms.

    > How many times have you called me 'Doofus'?

    He even lies when he lies. High Plains Hypocrite is definitely COLA's
    dumbest poster.

    --
    "You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  7. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    A sock puppet wrote:

    > No

    BORING

    PLONK
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....So many books; So little time.

  8. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > DFS writes:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> Well, well, well, if it isn't the Hadron troll droning on
    >>> again with its inability to respect forum poster nyms.
    >>> Really sad, here is the place to read all about it:
    >>>
    >>> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ark-troll.html

    Name: Hadron Quark (aka: Hadron, Damian O'Leary,
    >>> Hans Schneider)
    >>>
    >>> Traits:
    >>> * Homophobe (another closet gay wintroll?)
    >>> * Often changes previous posters text in followups (see
    >>> below)
    >>> * Microsoft apologist
    >>> * Habitual liar
    >>> * [snip]
    >>> * Exhibits serious reading comprehension difficulties
    >>> * Quark is too stupid to understand when the point above
    >>> is explained to him over and over again

    >>> More drivel, this is an example of:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    >>> 12. Blame your stupidity and lies on your opponent. Blame
    >>> your own stupidity on the Linux advocate you are dealing
    >>> with. Such as when you have made an unsupportable claim
    >>> that suggest a list of details and your are asked to
    >>> present your non-existent list reply with, "I don't have
    >>> to list them for you; you aren't bright enough to know
    >>> what you're missing by using X instead of a real Y, I'm
    >>> not going to explain it to you." Then hope that nobody
    >>> reading the thread realizes that your statement translates
    >>> as, "I lack the knowledge or facts needed to counter your
    >>> position or your position is too complete and accurate to
    >>> be refuted. So, I will say things to sound superior to
    >>> avoid admitting you are right."
    >>>
    >>> 48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting. No
    >>> matter how little you understand of the issues being
    >>> discussed in a thread, post anyway. If you don't know what
    >>> you are talking about just pretend that you do.

    >>> See Paragraph 12 above.

    >> How many times have you called me 'Doofus'?

    Lie.

    > He even lies when he lies. High Plains Hypocrite is definitely
    > COLA's dumbest poster.

    Lie.

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    23. Lie. Lie, lie, lie, lie. If you do it often enough you
    may create the appearance of truth.

    46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as
    face value. Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's
    statements as being true. Accept their interpretations without
    question, don't bother verifying their statements. If they claim
    something against a Linux advocate always side with the
    anti-Linux propagandists.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  9. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    You're like the little boy that cries wolf all of the time. After
    awhile, I am sure people just become oblivious to your postings, as you
    post the same thing over and over. You are boring.

  10. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Phil Da Lick!" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Incredible. Talking to you, it as if someone has taken a human and
    >>> replaced his brain with a lump of rabbit excrement.
    >>>
    >>> Try not snipping and FOLLOW the thread for a change. It does take a
    >>> modicum of intelligence. So ask someone like Peter to hold your hand
    >>> and explain how a thread works. You might find it illuminating.

    >> Bleh. You're an idiot. Ask a question the three posts later ignore
    >> that you asked it. And then accuse everyone else of not following
    >> along in the thread.

    > Everyone? You. The man who keeps snipping.
    >
    > Here's a hint "Phil" - I asked you because of your double standards.
    >
    > Do TRY and keep up. if you stopped snipping hoping I will forget the
    > thread you are mistaken. Gnus has a very good thread manager. And I tend
    > to mark threads of "interest" so nothing expires. The power of Gnus. You
    > would not understand since you probably use OE.
    >
    > Consider yourself *spanked* once more.

    No attempt to adress your U-turn again.

  11. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > Tell me, how much of YOUR R&D do you release for FREE for your
    > competitors to use? Did you ask Phil Da 'Tard about his views on that?

    No but since you have, I'll answer. He can share as much of his R&D as
    he likes.

    > Apparently, when he's not arranging letters on wooden frsmes to print
    > the parish mag, he's of the opinion that all R&D should be given away for
    > free. Do YOU agree with that Peter? Do tell. Do you?

    See there goes your basic comprehension issues again. I am not of that
    opinion, and have never said that all R&D should be given away for free.
    What I did say, which is pretty straightforward really, is that it is
    perfectly reasonable in the pure software field for more than one person
    to come up with the same idea independently. Just becasue you're wetting
    your pants over a little competition that does not give you the moral
    right to exclude it. Free markets require it.

  12. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Linux Pimps writes:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    >>> Yup. *This* from the very same Hadron Quark who can't correctly
    >>> attribute (he pretends to use Gnus) and then blames the person he
    >>> mistakes.

    > Liar.
    >
    > Why would I pretend to use Gnus? You are insane man. Why would I pretend
    > to use Debian?

    Well, to give the impression that you are a linux user.
    You are not. I don't believe any of that

    > You are crackers. Out and out loco. Why are you and Marti
    > so impressed?

    I am not impressed. I am apalled by your constant lies and inane attempts to
    insult people

    > Because its not some little girls app like Knode and takes
    > some skill to configure and operate?

    What happened to your "people want to use apps and not constantly fiddle
    with them" claim?
    Did it occure to you that I use apps because they /work/ without giving me
    hassle? I actually *use* linux and its apps. You don't. You keep on telling
    people left and right how bad, "halfassed", "inconsistent" they are

    > Gnus is far and away the most
    > powerful email and news client out there IMO and so was worth the time
    > investment.

    Feel free to pretend to use it.

    > And the considerable amount of time I spent feeding back to
    > various emacs applications to get better integration.

    Certainly. Those precious 2 seconds per year which are left when you're done
    trolling COLA

    > But you never
    > contributed to OSS in your life so you have no clue. You are a closed
    > source Windows SW Developer and therefore a hypocrite to boot.

    Hilarious. Why didn't it register in that tiny, moldy slime you use as
    brain-ersatz that for example the V20BIOS I wrote more than 20 years ago
    was given away to anyone who would pay for shipping and handling (writing
    diskettes and posting them by snail mail actually had costs, you know).
    I already did OSS when hardly anyone would know that term.

    Keep on portraying yourself as that lying idiot you really are, Hadron Quark

    > Phil Da Tard is famous for having the attention span of a gold fish. It
    > is not a surprise that you come riding in to shill him when he loses
    > again.

    The only one "losing" here was you. *You* scolded him for remarks he
    actually did not make. It is *your* attention span which is tiny

    > Tell me, how much of YOUR R&D do you release for FREE for your
    > competitors to use? Did you ask Phil Da 'Tard about his views on that?
    > Apparently, when he's not arranging letters on wooden frsmes to print
    > the parish mag, he's of the opinion that all R&D should be given away for
    > free. Do YOU agree with that Peter? Do tell. Do you?

    Idiot

  13. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Idiot

    Yes, you are Linux-Pimp idiot, Petey, with a lot of worthless lip service.

  14. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Linux Pimps writes:

    >> Liar.
    >>
    >> Why would I pretend to use Gnus? You are insane man. Why would I pretend
    >> to use Debian?

    > Well, to give the impression that you are a linux user.
    > You are not. I don't believe any of that

    Even Liarnut knows I am. As does anyone that actually reads posts
    here. Who ties your laces?

    btw, Emacs and Gnus are not Linux. They are OSS. Multiplatform. So
    claiming to use them would convince people of nothing with regard to
    Linux.

    But you see I use OSS. You do not. You are a closed source Windows SW
    programmer. Or more likely tester.

    You ARE an Idiot.

  15. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Liar.
    >>>
    >>> Why would I pretend to use Gnus? You are insane man. Why would I pretend
    >>> to use Debian?

    >> Well, to give the impression that you are a linux user.
    >> You are not. I don't believe any of that

    > Even Liarnut knows I am.

    I don't care who you misquote. Additionally, I don't believe your lies. What
    other believe or not is irrelevant

    > As does anyone that actually reads posts
    > here. Who ties your laces?

    So, anyone (except me, naturally) bewlieves your lies? I would like to see
    those tons of support for you coming from the other posters

    > btw, Emacs and Gnus are not Linux. They are OSS. Multiplatform. So
    > claiming to use them would convince people of nothing with regard to
    > Linux.

    Right. But then, you are no linux user

    > But you see I use OSS.

    Fine. That does not make you a "linux advocate".

    > You do not.

    Strange. That linux setup in front of me must be a figment of my imagination
    then, I guess

    > You are a closed source Windows SW programmer. Or more likely tester.

    Your childish attempts at insults are getting worse, Hadron Quark

    > You ARE an Idiot.

    Certainly, if that makes you feel better.
    You are not. Comparing idiots with you would be an insult to them
    --
    Howe's Law: Everyone has a scheme that will not work.

  16. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    "Peter Khlmann" stated in post
    48fd9f69$0$14054$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/21/08 2:22 AM:

    >> Liar.
    >>
    >> Why would I pretend to use Gnus? You are insane man. Why would I pretend
    >> to use Debian?

    > Well, to give the impression that you are a linux user.
    > You are not. I don't believe any of that

    Your claimed beliefs are irrelevant. He is, clearly, a Linux user. You,
    clearly, do not like that. Oh well. You also freak out over my using
    Linux.

    >> Gnus is far and away the most
    >> powerful email and news client out there IMO and so was worth the time
    >> investment.

    > Feel free to pretend to use it.

    Now we know *your* thinking - you pretend to use things you do not. Who
    cares why.

    >> Tell me, how much of YOUR R&D do you release for FREE for your competitors to
    >> use? Did you ask Phil Da 'Tard about his views on that? Apparently, when he's
    >> not arranging letters on wooden frsmes to print the parish mag, he's of the
    >> opinion that all R&D should be given away for free. Do YOU agree with that
    >> Peter? Do tell. Do you?

    > Idiot

    You, of course, did not even try to answer his questions.

    --
    But if you are somebody who is not too concerned about price, who is not too
    concerned about freedom, I don't think we can say the Linux desktop offers

  17. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    "Peter Khlmann" stated in post
    48fda799$0$14058$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/21/08 2:57 AM:

    >>> Well, to give the impression that you are a linux user.
    >>> You are not. I don't believe any of that

    >> Even Liarnut knows I am.

    > I don't care who you misquote. Additionally, I don't believe your lies. What
    > other believe or not is irrelevant
    >
    >> As does anyone that actually reads posts
    >> here. Who ties your laces?

    > So, anyone (except me, naturally) bewlieves your lies? I would like to see
    > those tons of support for you coming from the other posters

    He is, clearly, a Linux user. If he was not how would he know so much about
    it?

    >> btw, Emacs and Gnus are not Linux. They are OSS. Multiplatform. So
    >> claiming to use them would convince people of nothing with regard to
    >> Linux.

    > Right. But then, you are no linux user

    You are, of course, saying this with zero support. You just make up stories
    about people when you know your BS has been called out. You have done it to
    me and you are doing it to Hadron here.

    >> You are a closed source Windows SW programmer. Or more likely tester.

    > Your childish attempts at insults are getting worse, Hadron Quark

    You have shown an amazing lack of knowledge of even basic computing and
    technical concepts, but I will not pretend to know your experience. Some
    experience people might be as lacking in knowledge as you are.

    Satan lives for my sins... now *that* is dedication!

  18. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    "Linux Pimps" stated in post
    L_Cdnam8vJl9PGDVnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@earthlink.com on 10/21/08 2:33 AM:

    > Peter Khlmann wrote:
    >

    >> Idiot

    > Yes, you are Linux-Pimp idiot, Petey, with a lot of worthless lip service.

    Peter is back to making up stories about people he knows are more
    knowledgeable than he is. It is just what he does.

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

  19. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    >>> Well, to give the impression that you are a linux user.
    >>> You are not. I don't believe any of that

    >> Even Liarnut knows I am.

    > I don't care who you misquote. Additionally, I don't believe your lies. What
    > other believe or not is irrelevant
    >
    >> As does anyone that actually reads posts
    >> here. Who ties your laces?

    > So, anyone (except me, naturally) bewlieves your lies? I would like to see
    > those tons of support for you coming from the other posters
    >
    >> btw, Emacs and Gnus are not Linux. They are OSS. Multiplatform. So
    >> claiming to use them would convince people of nothing with regard to
    >> Linux.

    > Right. But then, you are no linux user

    Wrong.

    >> But you see I use OSS.

    > Fine. That does not make you a "linux advocate".

    No it does not. Using Debian and loving it does. The fact that I think
    you, and most of COLA, barmy does not contradict that.

    >> You do not.

    > Strange. That linux setup in front of me must be a figment of my imagination
    > then, I guess

    It is. Or you or your bosses are incompetent.

    >> You are a closed source Windows SW programmer. Or more likely tester.

    > Your childish attempts at insults are getting worse, Hadron Quark

    So you deny that you write closed source Windows SW?

  20. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Snit writes:

    > "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    > 48fd9f69$0$14054$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/21/08 2:22 AM:

    >>> Liar.
    >>>
    >>> Why would I pretend to use Gnus? You are insane man. Why would I pretend
    >>> to use Debian?

    >> Well, to give the impression that you are a linux user.
    >> You are not. I don't believe any of that

    > Your claimed beliefs are irrelevant. He is, clearly, a Linux user. You,
    > clearly, do not like that. Oh well. You also freak out over my using
    > Linux.

    >>> Gnus is far and away the most
    >>> powerful email and news client out there IMO and so was worth the time
    >>> investment.

    >> Feel free to pretend to use it.

    > Now we know *your* thinking - you pretend to use things you do not. Who
    > cares why.

    Peter appears to be a bit schizo. At some times he makes sense - like
    when he beotch slaps Mark Kent. At other times, like now, he goes lulu.

    He will pretend not to read it, but here's one little piece of work I
    did with some OSS emacs related. There are literally hundreds more.

    http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/...l-changes.html

    I have challenged various COLA morons to post a single link to similar
    contributions from them. And NOT ONE has managed to do it.

    Quotes:

    ,----
    | The error happened during fontification so the error message
    | above was all we had. A real black box for me. Or perhaps black
    | magic? After much confusion and some hard work we finally found out
    | what it was and I implemented a better way to catch such errors. If
    | Hadron would have given up the problem would still have been
    | there. Some problems are just impossible to solve without good
    | cooperation. So, again, thanks Hadron.
    `----

    But then we would expect nothing more from Peter. He is, after all, a
    closed source Windows SW developer. By his own admission a rather
    incompetent one since he doesn't bother using the OS he develops for and
    therefore his output must always be suspect.