10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux

This is a discussion on 10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux ; William Poaster wrote: It's a Linux-Pimp fly-by. William Rooster at his best, because he can't face anyone like a real rooster. He has to do William Rooster fly-by(s)....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 373

Thread: 10 reasons why should one use linux

  1. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    William Poaster wrote:



    It's a Linux-Pimp fly-by. William Rooster at his best, because he can't
    face anyone like a real rooster. He has to do William Rooster fly-by(s).

  2. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that Leo spake thusly:

    > I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux.


    Here's the only reason you need to use GNU/Linux ...

    .... it's not made by Microsoft.

    'Nuff said.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "At the time, I thought C was the most elegant language and Java
    | the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
    | weeks after initial exposure to Lisp." ~ Constantine Vetoshev
    `----

    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.25.11-60.fc8
    02:27:44 up 7 days, 11:23, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.06

  3. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Nuff-Said-Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Leo spake thusly:
    >
    >> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux.

    >
    > Here's the only reason you need to use GNU/Linux ...
    >
    > ... it's not made by Microsoft.
    >
    > 'Nuff said.
    >


    Nuff-Said-Homer another Linux-Pimp strikes-out against the evil empire.

  4. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > What they apparently mean is this: Microsoft's crappy
    > "malicious-software removal tool" was run on 270 million computers,
    > finding malware on 5.7 million of those; and 62% of those 5.7 million
    > infections (i.e. some 3.5 million) were cases of Trojan Horses.


    Of course you mean it's "crappy" because it doesn't reinforce the stupid
    lies you lying cola lusers have been blabbing for years - that 50% of
    Windows systems are infected.

    Turns out the MSRT found malware on just 2.1% of the 270 million systems it
    was applied to.

    So I got'cher "viruses" here (DFS grabs crotch and gives Rasker and cola the
    finger).


    btw: here's my just-completed MSRT quick scan:
    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...an_results.PNG




  5. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Leo spake thusly:
    >
    >> I just wrote on my blog: 10 (real) reasons to use ubuntu linux.

    >
    > Here's the only reason you need to use GNU/Linux ...
    >
    > ... it's not made by Microsoft.
    >
    > 'Nuff said.


    "It's not Microsoft" would be my top reason, by far, to use Linux/OSS.




  6. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    DFS wrote:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> What they apparently mean is this: Microsoft's crappy
    >> "malicious-software removal tool" was run on 270 million computers,
    >> finding malware on 5.7 million of those; and 62% of those 5.7 million
    >> infections (i.e. some 3.5 million) were cases of Trojan Horses.

    >
    > Of course you mean it's "crappy" because it doesn't reinforce the stupid
    > lies you lying cola lusers have been blabbing for years - that 50% of
    > Windows systems are infected.
    >
    > Turns out the MSRT found malware on just 2.1% of the 270 million systems it
    > was applied to.
    >
    > So I got'cher "viruses" here (DFS grabs crotch and gives Rasker and cola the
    > finger).
    >
    >
    > btw: here's my just-completed MSRT quick scan:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...an_results.PNG
    >
    >
    >


    I wouldn't trust the statistics of some fool Linux-Pimp like Rasker as
    far as I could toss a building somewhere.

    All these Linux-Pimps, fools and clowns are playing themselves, playing
    each other and have pimped themselves into some kind of a belief.

    I would say the 3/4 of the crap that's being spewed in this NG, hell,
    they can't even believe it themselves, but they have got to back each
    other up. :-P

    The list is long of those that are the Linux-Pimps.



  7. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper
    > writes:
    >
    >> Also, good systems administrative practises go a long way to
    >> preventing intrusions. Weak passwords, leaked passwords,
    >> no passwords, failure to apply security patches in a timely
    >> manner, failure to secure unused ports, admittance of
    >> administrative rights to those who have no need for it only
    >> invite trouble. It makes no difference what the operating
    >> system is, if one leaves the back door open, key under the
    >> doormat or with untrustworthy neighbors.

    >
    > Exactly. And Social Engineering. The things I highlighted as
    > points of attack ages ago e.g sudo embedded in bash script in
    > HOWTO code etc. You and your chums informed me I was a Windiot
    > and didn't have a clue. Finally I am proven right and you come
    > grovelling back. What a surprise.


    Prove what? Do you know what sudo is? I do not recall any
    discussions between you and me on bash scripting.

    > Google "comp.os.linux.advocacy social engineering hadron
    > quark" if you do not believe me.


    Be more specific. Comes up with this thread and discussion, then
    the usual Hadron rant towards Kohlmann.

    >> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32
    >> bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    >
    > And after Windows appeared and CP/M and Minicomputers
    > vanished?


    Read your history.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  8. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Linux Pimps wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32
    >> bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    >
    > I don't believe you. You're not believable.


    Who cares what you think? I certainly don't.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  9. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, yeah ....
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...0;fp;16;fpid;1
    >>
    >> [quote] Vista laid low by new malware figures 27 percent of
    >> PCs running Vista compromised by at least one piece of
    >> malware John E. Dunn (Techworld.com) 20/05/2008 07:15:10

    >
    > OK, so Vista is more secure than XP, which boasts a 50+%
    > infection rate. But it's a wet paper bag compared to Linux,
    > where the first confirmed desktop infection in the wild still
    > hasn't been reported.


    "Vista laid low" ---> substandard, i.e., no bragging rights.

    Roughly 1 out of 4 instead of 1 out of 2. It was a counterpoint
    to a troll's take about Vista security.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  10. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Linux Pimps wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32
    >>> bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    >>
    >> I don't believe you. You're not believable.

    >
    > Who cares what you think? I certainly don't.
    >


    You can take CP/M, all the rest your crap and embedded all up your ass
    for all I care as to what you have done. You should make sure you grease
    first, High Linux-Pimp Grand Poobah.

  11. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 00:12:37 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> Also, good systems administrative practises go a long way to
    >>> preventing intrusions. Weak passwords, leaked passwords,
    >>> no passwords, failure to apply security patches in a timely
    >>> manner, failure to secure unused ports, admittance of
    >>> administrative rights to those who have no need for it only
    >>> invite trouble. It makes no difference what the operating
    >>> system is, if one leaves the back door open, key under the
    >>> doormat or with untrustworthy neighbors.

    >>
    >> Exactly. And Social Engineering. The things I highlighted as
    >> points of attack ages ago e.g sudo embedded in bash script in
    >> HOWTO code etc. You and your chums informed me I was a Windiot
    >> and didn't have a clue. Finally I am proven right and you come
    >> grovelling back. What a surprise.

    >
    > Prove what? Do you know what sudo is? I do not recall any
    > discussions between you and me on bash scripting.


    The Quack troll making things up again is it. Not unusual.

    >> Google "comp.os.linux.advocacy social engineering hadron
    >> quark" if you do not believe me.

    >
    > Be more specific. Comes up with this thread and discussion, then
    > the usual Hadron rant towards Kohlmann.


    Quack, ranting? What a surprise...

    >>> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32
    >>> bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    >>
    >> And after Windows appeared and CP/M and Minicomputers
    >> vanished?

    >
    > Read your history.


    --
    Did you know?
    Hadron Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
    He thought he was God, but she didn't.


  12. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:


    Another sleepless night in the Procrustean bed?

    >> High Plains Thumper
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> Also, good systems administrative practises go a long way to
    >>> preventing intrusions. Weak passwords, leaked passwords,
    >>> no passwords, failure to apply security patches in a timely
    >>> manner, failure to secure unused ports, admittance of
    >>> administrative rights to those who have no need for it only
    >>> invite trouble. It makes no difference what the operating
    >>> system is, if one leaves the back door open, key under the
    >>> doormat or with untrustworthy neighbors.

    >>
    >> Exactly. And Social Engineering. The things I highlighted as
    >> points of attack ages ago e.g sudo embedded in bash script in
    >> HOWTO code etc. You and your chums informed me I was a Windiot
    >> and didn't have a clue. Finally I am proven right and you come
    >> grovelling back. What a surprise.


    Pretty pompous and arrogant for a guy who apparently /still/ thinks
    that "sudo embedded in a bash script in HOWTO code" is an automatic
    way into anything.

    >> Finally I am proven right and you come
    >> grovelling back.


    *LMAO*

    > Prove what? Do you know what sudo is? I do not recall any
    > discussions between you and me on bash scripting.
    >
    >> Google "comp.os.linux.advocacy social engineering hadron
    >> quark" if you do not believe me.

    >
    > Be more specific. Comes up with this thread and discussion, then
    > the usual Hadron rant towards Kohlmann.


    You can watch Hadron "they are hacked on a routine basis" Quark
    both brag about stating obvious stuff and show off
    his mistaken notions about sudo here:

    http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/Si...derasc-20.html

    Jim Richardson, Bob Hauck, and Richard Rasker systematically
    dismantle Hadron's "argument".

    >>> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32
    >>> bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    >>
    >> And after Windows appeared and CP/M and Minicomputers
    >> vanished?

    >
    > Read your history.


    You forget. Hadron can't read (with comprehension, that is.)

    --
    If a thing's worth having, it's worth cheating for.
    -- W. C. Fields

  13. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Linux Pimps writes:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> What they apparently mean is this: Microsoft's crappy
    >>> "malicious-software removal tool" was run on 270 million computers,
    >>> finding malware on 5.7 million of those; and 62% of those 5.7 million
    >>> infections (i.e. some 3.5 million) were cases of Trojan Horses.

    >>
    >> Of course you mean it's "crappy" because it doesn't reinforce the
    >> stupid lies you lying cola lusers have been blabbing for years -
    >> that 50% of Windows systems are infected.
    >>
    >> Turns out the MSRT found malware on just 2.1% of the 270 million
    >> systems it was applied to.
    >>
    >> So I got'cher "viruses" here (DFS grabs crotch and gives Rasker and
    >> cola the finger).
    >>
    >>
    >> btw: here's my just-completed MSRT quick scan:
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...an_results.PNG
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I wouldn't trust the statistics of some fool Linux-Pimp like Rasker as
    > far as I could toss a building somewhere.
    >


    Rasker has proved himself totally and utterly incompetent when it comes
    to ANY form of statistical analysis. Using flawed numbers he applies
    flawed algorithms to reach, well, a flawed result.

    His inability to even go to Amazon, click on computers, then laptops
    then "best selling" was a lesson to all involved at how little he should
    be trusted. That combined with all the stories of foul mouthed women on
    trains, friends with sons who are amazed at Linux and how he has
    revitalised 3rd world PCs, which look like they were extras in
    Waterworld, suggests that little, if anything, he posts can be trusted.

    --
    "Opening slide in movie: - Why Linux Sucks (4 Reasons) [no need to further explain, move along ....]"
    -- High Plains Thumper in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  14. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> Also, good systems administrative practises go a long way to
    >>> preventing intrusions. Weak passwords, leaked passwords,
    >>> no passwords, failure to apply security patches in a timely
    >>> manner, failure to secure unused ports, admittance of
    >>> administrative rights to those who have no need for it only
    >>> invite trouble. It makes no difference what the operating
    >>> system is, if one leaves the back door open, key under the
    >>> doormat or with untrustworthy neighbors.

    >>
    >> Exactly. And Social Engineering. The things I highlighted as
    >> points of attack ages ago e.g sudo embedded in bash script in
    >> HOWTO code etc. You and your chums informed me I was a Windiot
    >> and didn't have a clue. Finally I am proven right and you come
    >> grovelling back. What a surprise.

    >
    > Prove what? Do you know what sudo is? I do not recall any
    > discussions between you and me on bash scripting.


    Erm, yes I do know what sudo is. And it is of paramount importance to
    the point I made above. If you do no understand that (and I think you do
    understand it) then ask and I will explain.

    >
    >> Google "comp.os.linux.advocacy social engineering hadron
    >> quark" if you do not believe me.

    >
    > Be more specific. Comes up with this thread and discussion, then the
    > usual Hadron rant towards Kohlmann.


    "you" == "COLA".

    >
    >>> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32
    >>> bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    >>
    >> And after Windows appeared and CP/M and Minicomputers
    >> vanished?

    >
    > Read your history.


    I dont need too. One of my first programs was in Z80 on an RML 380Z
    machine. Something to filter data for a school physics
    experiment. Trivial stuff but exciting at the time. CP/M was nothing
    special. And all the halcyon memories dont really change that. For the
    time wonderful. Compared to now? Hell, emacs probably has an emulator for
    it ....

    The question stands. Are you really trying to tell us you had a gaping
    void in your career post mid 90s?

    Minicomputers were dumped quicker than Shares in Enron from the end of
    the 80s. The CPM machines were used as gym vaults in school sporting
    events.

    --
    "His asshole is so reamed out he has room for an oxygen
    tank, too."
    -- Tattoo Vampire loooking for new accomodation in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  15. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Linux Pimps wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32
    >>> bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    >>
    >> I don't believe you. You're not believable.

    >
    > Who cares what you think? I certainly don't.


    The fact that you replied belies it's content.

    --
    "Off the top of my head, I can't tell you which sites. They are ones that
    throw up some kind of dialog, I change the user agent and look at them
    again, then move on."
    -- Rick telling lies in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  16. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > Linux Pimps writes:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> What they apparently mean is this: Microsoft's crappy
    >>>> "malicious-software removal tool" was run on 270 million computers,
    >>>> finding malware on 5.7 million of those; and 62% of those 5.7 million
    >>>> infections (i.e. some 3.5 million) were cases of Trojan Horses.
    >>> Of course you mean it's "crappy" because it doesn't reinforce the
    >>> stupid lies you lying cola lusers have been blabbing for years -
    >>> that 50% of Windows systems are infected.
    >>>
    >>> Turns out the MSRT found malware on just 2.1% of the 270 million
    >>> systems it was applied to.
    >>>
    >>> So I got'cher "viruses" here (DFS grabs crotch and gives Rasker and
    >>> cola the finger).
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> btw: here's my just-completed MSRT quick scan:
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...an_results.PNG
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't trust the statistics of some fool Linux-Pimp like Rasker as
    >> far as I could toss a building somewhere.
    >>

    >
    > Rasker has proved himself totally and utterly incompetent when it comes
    > to ANY form of statistical analysis. Using flawed numbers he applies
    > flawed algorithms to reach, well, a flawed result.
    >
    > His inability to even go to Amazon, click on computers, then laptops
    > then "best selling" was a lesson to all involved at how little he should
    > be trusted. That combined with all the stories of foul mouthed women on
    > trains, friends with sons who are amazed at Linux and how he has
    > revitalised 3rd world PCs, which look like they were extras in
    > Waterworld, suggests that little, if anything, he posts can be trusted.
    >


    Yes, he is a real pistol.

  17. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Linux Pimps wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Linux Pimps writes:
    >>
    >>> DFS wrote:
    >>>> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> What they apparently mean is this: Microsoft's crappy
    >>>>> "malicious-software removal tool" was run on 270 million computers,
    >>>>> finding malware on 5.7 million of those; and 62% of those 5.7 million
    >>>>> infections (i.e. some 3.5 million) were cases of Trojan Horses.
    >>>> Of course you mean it's "crappy" because it doesn't reinforce the
    >>>> stupid lies you lying cola lusers have been blabbing for years -
    >>>> that 50% of Windows systems are infected.
    >>>>
    >>>> Turns out the MSRT found malware on just 2.1% of the 270 million
    >>>> systems it was applied to.
    >>>>
    >>>> So I got'cher "viruses" here (DFS grabs crotch and gives Rasker and
    >>>> cola the finger).
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> btw: here's my just-completed MSRT quick scan:
    >>>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...an_results.PNG
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> I wouldn't trust the statistics of some fool Linux-Pimp like Rasker as
    >>> far as I could toss a building somewhere.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Rasker has proved himself totally and utterly incompetent when it comes
    >> to ANY form of statistical analysis. Using flawed numbers he applies
    >> flawed algorithms to reach, well, a flawed result.
    >>
    >> His inability to even go to Amazon, click on computers, then laptops
    >> then "best selling" was a lesson to all involved at how little he should
    >> be trusted. That combined with all the stories of foul mouthed women on
    >> trains, friends with sons who are amazed at Linux and how he has
    >> revitalised 3rd world PCs, which look like they were extras in
    >> Waterworld, suggests that little, if anything, he posts can be trusted.
    >>

    >
    > Yes, he is a real pistol.


    Good thing that you support Hadron Quark. He absolutely needs the support
    of "high experience people" like you, I am sure. After all, combined you
    two would even outsmart a ****roach...
    --
    The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and
    stupidity


  18. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >> Linux Pimps wrote:
    >>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems,
    >>>> 32 bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.
    >>>
    >>> I don't believe you. You're not believable.

    >>
    >> Who cares what you think? I certainly don't.

    >
    > The fact that you replied belies it's content.


    The fact you replied belies your intent to troll.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  19. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>>

    >> Yes, he is a real pistol.

    >
    > Good thing that you support Hadron Quark. He absolutely needs the support
    > of "high experience people" like you, I am sure. After all, combined you
    > two would even outsmart a ****roach...


    Why are you Linux-Pimping me, pimp Petey the mutt? You couldn't find
    your way out of paper sack if your head was covered with it.

  20. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:
    >>> Linux Pimps wrote:
    >>>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems,
    >>>>> 32 bit minicomputers and small embedded systems.
    >>>>
    >>>> I don't believe you. You're not believable.
    >>>
    >>> Who cares what you think? I certainly don't.

    >>
    >> The fact that you replied belies it's content.

    >
    > The fact you replied belies your intent to troll.


    You need to look up belies.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=belies

    --
    "It explains a lot. I've not heard of anyone I know, anywhere, buying XP,
    and I've not seen it sold whilst I've been in any shops."
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast