10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux

This is a discussion on 10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux ; Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out > this bit o' wisdom: > >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote: >> >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out >>> this bit o' ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 373

  1. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ovalToolWP.doc

    >> Strange, it opens just fine here.

    > I can't even wget it.

    Perhaps there's a problem with the DNS server(s) of your ISP -- the only way
    I can think of to find out more is to have wireshark sniff and log your
    ethernet packets while you give a 'dig blog.washingtonpost.com' command.

    >> The tool has been run approximately 2.7 billion times by at least 270
    >> million unique computers, leading to the removal of 16 million
    >> instances of malicious software from 5.7 million unique Windows-based
    >> computers over the past 15 months, Microsoft said. Sixty-two percent of
    >> those computers had Trojan horse programs on them. "
    >>
    >> So according to these figures, only two percent of computers were found
    >> to be infected with malicious software.

    > I don't get it. The paragraph you quote seems to present two
    > mutually-exclusive conclusions.

    Nah, it's just a bit confusing, what with percentages and absolute numbers
    mixed up -- that's why I hoped the troll would bite.
    What they apparently mean is this: Microsoft's crappy "malicious-software
    removal tool" was run on 270 million computers, finding malware on 5.7
    million of those; and 62% of those 5.7 million infections (i.e. some 3.5
    million) were cases of Trojan Horses.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> You singlehandedly make
    >> windows users look the retards many really are.

    > And you think that because you're using Linux that it makes you the
    > greatest thing since sliced toast?

    What came first, the toast or the slice?

    BSD slices don't count.

  3. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> [quote] Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista
    >> in Pwn2Own hacking contest
    >>
    >> OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Debian security unsurpassed.
    >>

    > But in the mean time Linux is being hammered.
    >
    > http://www.zone-h.com/
    >
    > If the server platform is being hammered what makes you think
    > that the workstation versions are going to be any better in
    > the wrong hands?

    A site located on a neutral country, Switzerland, with stats
    populated by rogue hackers, with most of the hacked sites hardly
    anyone has ever heard of. Hmmmm ..... It would be different if
    there were at least two or three other sites with similar
    statistics, to confirm.

    However, if we truly believe the results, then I would have to
    say that Linux has a much greater presence than the trolls would
    like to admit.

    Also, good systems administrative practises go a long way to
    preventing intrusions. Weak passwords, leaked passwords, no
    passwords, failure to apply security patches in a timely manner,
    failure to secure unused ports, admittance of administrative
    rights to those who have no need for it only invite trouble. It
    makes no difference what the operating system is, if one leaves
    the back door open, key under the doormat or with untrustworthy
    neighbors.

    > What it really comes down to is who is sitting behind the
    > wheel and is doing the driving.
    >
    > What? You're an x Windows user that crossed over to Linux and
    > you are a guru's guru, right?

    No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32 bit
    minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  4. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Identity stuttered:
    >>

    > Let's talk about your damn family. How is that ho your
    > daughter doing ho-ing on campus?

    This is an example of:

    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's
    ability to cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from
    obviously incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call
    them netcops, netnannies, homosexuals.
    also

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal
    use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents. Your
    experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  5. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >

    >> But it was more of a tease-the-troll excercise

    > You couldn't tease the hair on your nasty back.
    >
    >> Here's a more realistic figure from a few years back:
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=848

    > You can't get anything current, home user?

    I got all the current you'll ever need. Whaddyawant, 80 Amps? 250 Amps? 1kA?
    Just confirm your order, your payment details, and your delivery address,
    and I'll make sure all that current gets delivered to your home allright,
    straight to your person.

    Best regards,

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  6. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >> http://www.zone-h.com/
    >>

    > A site located on a neutral country, Switzerland, with stats
    > populated by rogue hackers, with most of the hacked sites hardly
    > anyone has ever heard of. Hmmmm ..... It would be different if
    > there were at least two or three other sites with similar
    > statistics, to confirm.

    It's a bragging-rights site, as far as I can tell.

    > However, if we truly believe the results, then I would have to
    > say that Linux has a much greater presence than the trolls would
    > like to admit.

    Did I mention yet that The Bee, Mr. Identity Theft, is a feckless moron?

    --
    If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.

  7. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Identity the Humongous Asshole wrote:
    >>
    >> Let's talk about your damn family. How is that ho your
    >> daughter doing ho-ing on campus?

    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    > [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal
    > use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    > particularly when used against you more dignified opponents. Your
    > experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    I don't think that applies to that stingless Bee fscker. Peter, a
    dignified component? A suit target for intimidating invective?

    Methinks The Bee would rather stir up a hornet's nest.

    --
    Parkinson's Fourth Law:
    The number of people in any working group tends to increase

  8. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Chris Ahlstrom belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I don't think that applies to that stingless Bee fscker. Peter, a
    > dignified component? A suit target for intimidating invective?

    My god, I really fat-fingered that post. Corrected:

    I don't think that applies to that stingless Bee fscker. Peter, a
    dignified opponent? A suitable target for intimidating invective?

    Disclaimer: no alcohol involved in the mistaken post.

    --
    I am two fools, I know, for loving, and for saying so.
    -- John Donne

  9. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux -- from the Linux-pimps

    Richard Rasker a Linux-pimp wrote:

    > Nah, it's just a bit confusing, what with percentages and absolute numbers
    > mixed up -- that's why I hoped the troll would bite.
    > What they apparently mean is this: Microsoft's crappy "malicious-software
    > removal tool" was run on 270 million computers, finding malware on 5.7
    > million of those; and 62% of those 5.7 million infections (i.e. some 3.5
    > million) were cases of Trojan Horses.

    You're just another ass-hole Linux-pimp tossing out dime a dozen
    Amityville.Linux.Advocacy statistics.

    They are fixed statistics I tell you fixed, and I don't believe them. Is
    that not the usual Linux-pimp MO for this chicken-**** NG?

    And you have still have not convinced anyone that Linux has not been or
    is not being attacked in the wild, Linux-pimp.

    This crap NG and you Linux-pimp *clowns* in it do need to take this
    chicken-**** Amityville circus and vaudeville show/act on the road.

  10. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann the jewish ass-hole wrote:
    >> The dumbest clown ever (Identity) stuttered:
    >>
    >> < snip more highly reasoned stuff (30 years of "experience") >

    > Let's talk about your damn family. How is that ho your daughter doing
    > ho-ing on campus?

    Your dad's got an awesome car:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZACZm...eature=related

    Maybe he'll let you have it when you get your license.

  11. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    owl wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> You singlehandedly make
    >>> windows users look the retards many really are.

    >> And you think that because you're using Linux that it makes you the
    >> greatest thing since sliced toast?
    >>

    > What came first, the toast or the slice?
    >

    > BSD slices don't count.

    What came first is that nasty double-brewed coffee the Linux-pimp must
    be drinking straight and throughout the day that's got this *clown* so
    hyped-up day-in, day-out, night-in and night-out.

  12. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    owl wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >> Peter Köhlmann the jewish ass-hole wrote:
    >>> The dumbest clown ever (Identity) stuttered:
    >>>
    >>> < snip more highly reasoned stuff (30 years of "experience") >

    >> Let's talk about your damn family. How is that ho your daughter doing
    >> ho-ing on campus?

    > Your dad's got an awesome car:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZACZm...eature=related
    >
    > Maybe he'll let you have it when you get your license.

    Oh, I see you are just another Linux-pimp.

  13. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Identity wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> [quote] Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista
    >>> in Pwn2Own hacking contest
    >>>
    >>> OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Debian security unsurpassed.
    >>>

    >> But in the mean time Linux is being hammered.
    >>
    >> http://www.zone-h.com/
    >>
    >> If the server platform is being hammered what makes you think
    >> that the workstation versions are going to be any better in
    >> the wrong hands?

    > A site located on a neutral country, Switzerland, with stats populated
    > by rogue hackers, with most of the hacked sites hardly anyone has ever
    > heard of. Hmmmm ..... It would be different if there were at least
    > two or three other sites with similar statistics, to confirm.
    >
    > However, if we truly believe the results, then I would have to say
    > that Linux has a much greater presence than the trolls would like to
    > admit.
    >
    > Also, good systems administrative practises go a long way to
    > preventing intrusions. Weak passwords, leaked passwords, no
    > passwords, failure to apply security patches in a timely manner,
    > failure to secure unused ports, admittance of administrative rights to
    > those who have no need for it only invite trouble. It makes no
    > difference what the operating system is, if one leaves the back door
    > open, key under the doormat or with untrustworthy neighbors.

    Exactly. And Social Engineering. The things I highlighted as points of
    attack ages ago e.g sudo embedded in bash script in HOWTO code etc. You
    and your chums informed me I was a Windiot and didn't have a
    clue. Finally I am proven right and you come grovelling back. What a
    surprise.

    Google "comp.os.linux.advocacy social engineering hadron quark" if you
    do not believe me.

    >> What it really comes down to is who is sitting behind the
    >> wheel and is doing the driving.
    >>
    >> What? You're an x Windows user that crossed over to Linux and
    >> you are a guru's guru, right?

    > No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32 bit
    > minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    And after Windows appeared and CP/M and Minicomputers vanished?

    --
    "Poor fishfarb! Pissed because s/h/it doesn't get all the attention s/h/it craves due to wise use of filtering."
    -- Sinister Midget trying to impress Willy Filters in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  14. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Chris Ahlstrom belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I don't think that applies to that stingless Bee fscker. Peter, a
    >> dignified component? A suit target for intimidating invective?

    > My god, I really fat-fingered that post. Corrected:
    >
    > I don't think that applies to that stingless Bee fscker. Peter, a
    > dignified opponent? A suitable target for intimidating invective?
    >
    > Disclaimer: no alcohol involved in the mistaken post.

    You're just a Linux-Pimp with pimp statictics.

  15. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Identity the Humongous Asshole wrote:
    >>> Let's talk about your damn family. How is that ho your
    >>> daughter doing ho-ing on campus?

    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >> [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal
    >> use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    >> particularly when used against you more dignified opponents. Your
    >> experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    > I don't think that applies to that stingless Bee fscker. Peter, a
    > dignified component? A suit target for intimidating invective?
    >
    > Methinks The Bee would rather stir up a hornet's nest.

    Why are you running around here pimping?

  16. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>

    >>> But it was more of a tease-the-troll excercise

    >> You couldn't tease the hair on your nasty back.
    >>
    >>> Here's a more realistic figure from a few years back:
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=848

    >> You can't get anything current, home user?

    > I got all the current you'll ever need. Whaddyawant, 80 Amps? 250 Amps? 1kA?
    > Just confirm your order, your payment details, and your delivery address,
    > and I'll make sure all that current gets delivered to your home allright,
    > straight to your person.

    Okay-dokey there you Linux-Pimp and believe me you're doing some fine
    pimping I tell you, truly wonderful.

  17. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    LOL, LOL and LOL, how long have you been posting it?

    On one hand you are a Linux-Pimp. And the on the other hand, you troll
    each other in the Amityville.Linux.Advocacy. You troll brainwash each
    other.

  18. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > No, I came out of the CP/M era, early graphic systems, 32 bit
    > minicomputers and small embedded systems.

    I don't believe you. You're not believable.

  19. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Did I mention yet that The Bee, Mr. Identity Theft, is a feckless moron?

    Do you really think that I give a ****? Do you really think that you
    Linux-Pimp?

  20. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Woops.

    > Woops:

    What we have here is two Linux-Pimps doing a fine job of pimping each other.