10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux

This is a discussion on 10 reasons why should one use linux - Linux ; Identity wrote: > Richard Rasker wrote: >> High Plains Thumper wrote: >> >>> Oh, yeah .... >>> >>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...0;fp;16;fpid;1 >>> >>> [quote] >>> Vista laid low by new malware figures >>> 27 percent of PCs running Vista compromised by at ...

  1. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh, yeah ....
    >>>
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...0;fp;16;fpid;1
    >>>
    >>> [quote]
    >>> Vista laid low by new malware figures
    >>> 27 percent of PCs running Vista compromised by at least one piece
    >>> of malware
    >>> John E. Dunn (Techworld.com) 20/05/2008 07:15:10

    >> OK, so Vista is more secure than XP, which boasts a 50+% infection rate.
    >> But it's a wet paper bag compared to Linux, where the first confirmed
    >> desktop infection in the wild still hasn't been reported.
    >>

    > I don't believe you.

    Thats because you're lying or stupid.

  2. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:

    >>> OK, so Vista is more secure than XP, which boasts a 50+% infection rate.
    >>> But it's a wet paper bag compared to Linux, where the first confirmed
    >>> desktop infection in the wild still hasn't been reported.
    >>>

    >> I don't believe you.

    > Thats because you're lying or stupid.

    What about you? You're no bed of roses that I have seen, make believe IT
    director at a printing press.

  3. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh, yeah ....
    >>>
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...0;fp;16;fpid;1
    >>>
    >>> [quote]
    >>> Vista laid low by new malware figures
    >>> 27 percent of PCs running Vista compromised by at least one piece
    >>> of malware
    >>> John E. Dunn (Techworld.com) 20/05/2008 07:15:10

    >> OK, so Vista is more secure than XP, which boasts a 50+% infection rate.
    >> But it's a wet paper bag compared to Linux, where the first confirmed
    >> desktop infection in the wild still hasn't been reported.

    > I don't believe you.

    Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya go:

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  4. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:

    >>> OK, so Vista is more secure than XP, which boasts a 50+% infection rate.
    >>> But it's a wet paper bag compared to Linux, where the first confirmed
    >>> desktop infection in the wild still hasn't been reported.

    >> I don't believe you.

    > Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya go:
    >
    > http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html

    Oh I forgot, you're just another ass-hole. And I own and have used Suse
    Linux.

    I think I have supplied some links in the NG. I doubt that you have read
    them. So guess what I am not going to do?

    And you can take it anyway you like.

  5. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Address Space Load Randomization

    >> The Windows Vista Address Space Load Randomization (ASLR)
    >> feature makes it impossible for malware to know where APIs are
    >> located by loading system DLLs and executables at a different
    >> location every time the system boots. Early in the boot
    >> process, the Memory Manager picks a random DLL image-load bias
    >> from one of 256 64KB-aligned addresses in the 16MB region at
    >> the top of the user-mode address space. As DLLs that have the
    >> new dynamic-relocation flag in their image header load into a
    >> process, the Memory Manager packs them into memory starting
    >> at the image-load bias address and working its way down.

    http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/1...ick-with-aslr/

    Turns out it does work: you can disable ASLR for a given program,
    like Internet Explorer. And WFP will not restore the file. But for
    another reason than I thought: with Vista, WFP is actually called
    Windows Resource Protection. And it works differently: files are
    protected by Security Descriptors, and are not replaced automatically
    when deleted or modified. So the neat trick of deleting a system-file
    in Windows XP (like utilman.exe) only to see it reappear a couple of
    seconds later, doesn't work anymore with Vista. Change the
    Security Descriptor of the file in Vista (taking ownership and giving
    you delete rights), delete the file, and it's gone. No
    more resurrection.

    http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2007/1...with-aslr.html

    While doing alot of testing around the implementation of ASLR on both
    OSX and Vista I noticed something odd. 3rd party dlls in the Internet
    Explorer don't seem to change addresses. See the screenshot
    below. Googletoolbar and flash9d stay at the same address through
    multiple reboots. I thought this was odd.

    > Oh, yeah ....
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...0;fp;16;fpid;1
    >
    > [quote]
    > Vista laid low by new malware figures
    > 27 percent of PCs running Vista compromised by at least one piece
    > of malware
    > John E. Dunn (Techworld.com) 20/05/2008 07:15:10
    >
    > It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be
    > heading for the pages of history. ...

    Lipstick on a pig.

    --
    Lord, defend me from my friends; I can account for my enemies.
    -- Charles D'Hericault

  6. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    >> Thats because you're lying or stupid.

    > What about you? You're no bed of roses that I have seen, make believe
    > IT director at a printing press.

    Don't talk about Hyp Da Crite! like that. He knows how to click a Windows
    button and send a job to the printer.

  7. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    DFS wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    >>> Thats because you're lying or stupid.

    >> What about you? You're no bed of roses that I have seen, make believe
    >> IT director at a printing press.

    > Don't talk about Hyp Da Crite! like that. He knows how to click a Windows
    > button and send a job to the printer.

    LOL

    Yes, I know. His company mission critical spreadsheet payroll, other
    games, tools, water dispenser and auto flushing toilets are powered by
    the big *L*. That way, there is a less chance of the big *L* being
    hacked as an office facing solution.

  8. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Identity wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Identity wrote:

    >>> What about you? You're no bed of roses that I have seen, make
    >>> believe IT director at a printing press.

    >> Don't talk about Hyp Da Crite! like that. He knows how to click a
    >> Windows button and send a job to the printer.
    >>

    > LOL
    >
    > Yes, I know. His company mission critical spreadsheet payroll, other
    > games, tools, water dispenser and auto flushing toilets

    ha!

    Linux knows how to deal with ****... just merge it into the Ubuntu and
    Debian "stable" repositories.

    Debian Etch: "I installed debian etch. Ran fine for a while, then the same
    freezing problem."
    #148 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=15

  9. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    It will be the day the this *clown* is consider to be an expert's expert.

    How does a *clown* come from the MS platform over to the Linux platform
    and all of a sudden he becomes a guru's guru?

  10. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    On 2008-10-17, Phil Da Lick! claimed:
    > Identity wrote:

    >> I don't believe you.

    > Thats because you're lying or stupid.

    Does he really have to choose?

    --
    Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question.
    The answer is NO!

  11. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Identity wrote:
    >
    >> I don't believe you.

    > Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya go:
    >
    > http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html

    Nah, Richard, that page dates back to 2006, which is so old that
    Microsoft has scrubbed the data:

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ovalToolWP.doc

    The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
    changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

    --
    Real computer scientists don't write code. They occasionally tinker with
    `programming systems', but those are so high level that they hardly count

  12. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-10-17, Phil Da Lick! claimed:
    >> Identity wrote:

    >>> I don't believe you.

    >> Thats because you're lying or stupid.

    > Does he really have to choose?

    The littlest ass-hold strikes again,

  13. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:

    >>> OK, so Vista is more secure than XP, which boasts a 50+% infection rate.
    >>> But it's a wet paper bag compared to Linux, where the first confirmed
    >>> desktop infection in the wild still hasn't been reported.

    >> I don't believe you.

    > Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya go:
    >
    > http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html

    Why you ****ing ass-hole, you post a damn link in this chicken-**** NG
    that doesn't work? And the ****ing thing that I read by another ass-hole
    is that link is from 2006.

    Now, that I do believe, you ****ing home user. I believe that you are an
    idiot.

    You bend over and smell your ass, because you stink to high heaven.

  14. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Identity wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't believe you.

    >> Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya
    >> go:

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html

    > Nah, Richard, that page dates back to 2006, which is so old that
    > Microsoft has scrubbed the data:

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ovalToolWP.doc

    > The page cannot be found
    > The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
    > changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

    Strange, it opens just fine here. But it was more of a tease-the-troll
    excercise -- of course Microsoft will never say that 60% of their machines
    is infected; here's the text:

    "Microsoft today gave the world a rare -- albeit conservative -- glimpse of
    its view on just how bad the virus and bot problem has gotten for Windows
    users worldwide. The data comes from 15 months' worth of experience
    scanning computers with its "malicious-software removal tool," a free
    component that Microsoft offers Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows
    Server 2003 users when they download security updates from Microsoft.

    The tool has been run approximately 2.7 billion times by at least 270
    million unique computers, leading to the removal of 16 million instances
    of malicious software from 5.7 million unique Windows-based computers over
    the past 15 months, Microsoft said. Sixty-two percent of those computers
    had Trojan horse programs on them. "

    So according to these figures, only two percent of computers were found to
    be infected with malicious software. If this shows one thing, it's that
    Microsoft can't build anti-malware worth a damn.

    Here's a more realistic figure from a few years back:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=848

    "During the second quarter of 2006, Webroot researchers found that 89
    percent of consumer PCs were infected with an average of 30 pieces of
    spyware"

    Woops.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  15. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya
    >>> go:
    >>>

    > http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html
    >>
    >> Nah, Richard, that page dates back to 2006, which is so old that
    >> Microsoft has scrubbed the data:
    >>

    > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ovalToolWP.doc
    >>

    > Strange, it opens just fine here.

    I can't even wget it.

    > The tool has been run approximately 2.7 billion times by at least 270
    > million unique computers, leading to the removal of 16 million instances
    > of malicious software from 5.7 million unique Windows-based computers over
    > the past 15 months, Microsoft said. Sixty-two percent of those computers
    > had Trojan horse programs on them. "
    >
    > So according to these figures, only two percent of computers were found to
    > be infected with malicious software.

    I don't get it. The paragraph you quote seems to present two
    mutually-exclusive conclusions.

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=848
    >
    > "During the second quarter of 2006, Webroot researchers found that 89
    > percent of consumer PCs were infected with an average of 30 pieces of
    > spyware"
    >
    > Woops.

    Woops:

    --
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

  16. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    The dumbest clown ever (Identity) stuttered:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Identity wrote:

    >>> I don't believe you.

    >> Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya
    >> go:

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html

    > Why you ****ing ass-hole, you post a damn link in this chicken-**** NG
    > that doesn't work?

    Well, maybe your MS "software" (others call it garbage) isn't up to specs?
    The link works just fine

    < snip more highly reasoned stuff (30 years of "experience") >
    --
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For thou art crunchy, and good
    with ketchup!

  17. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    On 2008-10-17, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html
    >>>
    >>> Nah, Richard, that page dates back to 2006, which is so old that
    >>> Microsoft has scrubbed the data:
    >>>

    >> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ovalToolWP.doc
    >>>

    >> Strange, it opens just fine here.

    > I can't even wget it.

    It's gettable here, too.

    --
    Ever noticed how fast Windows runs?
    Me neither.

  18. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Peter Köhlmann the jewish ass-hole wrote:
    > The dumbest clown ever (Identity) stuttered:
    >
    > < snip more highly reasoned stuff (30 years of "experience") >

    Let's talk about your damn family. How is that ho your daughter doing
    ho-ing on campus?

  19. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > But it was more of a tease-the-troll excercise

    You couldn't tease the hair on your nasty back.

    > Here's a more realistic figure from a few years back:
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=848

    You can't get anything current, home user?

    > "During the second quarter of 2006, Webroot researchers found that 89
    > percent of consumer PCs were infected with an average of 30 pieces of
    > spyware"
    >
    > Woops.

    It's 2008 soon to be 2009 you moron. Is that asking too much of you when
    you want to try and step to the plate -- swing for the fences, partner.

  20. Re: 10 reasons why should one use linux

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:43:36 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > The dumbest clown ever (Identity) stuttered:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:

    >>> Oh, I forgot, you're a Wintroll. You only believe Microsoft. OK, here ya
    >>> go:
    >>>

    > http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...lware_sta.html
    >>>

    >> Why you ****ing ass-hole, you post a damn link in this chicken-**** NG
    >> that doesn't work?

    > Well, maybe your MS "software" (others call it garbage) isn't up to specs?
    > The link works just fine
    >
    > < snip more highly reasoned stuff (30 years of "experience") >

    Yup, the link works ok. Duh-Inane Arnold f#cked up again, so what else is
    new.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.