Interesting Linux discussion over at Donationcoder.com - Linux

This is a discussion on Interesting Linux discussion over at Donationcoder.com - Linux ; Ten Tips for Windows users making the switch to Linux http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/...?topic=15360.0 Seems some Windows users are still confused on what the hell Linux is, ha!!...

  1. Interesting Linux discussion over at Donationcoder.com

    Ten Tips for Windows users making the switch to Linux
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/...?topic=15360.0

    Seems some Windows users are still confused on what the hell Linux is, ha!!

  2. Re: Interesting Linux discussion over at Donationcoder.com

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:44:13 -0500, noj wrote:

    > http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/...?topic=15360.0

    Welcome to the real world!
    These are Linux's potential users and notice how they seem to have the
    exact same problems and comments that you Linux loons in COLA deny exist.

    Some samples:

    " He. Once I couldn't get my net working after HDD install and the only
    help I get was: "Google it, f*n n00b". OK, I did it. After dozen of hours
    in net cafeterias and many days of trying, the only thing I learnt was that
    "It is my fault for buying crappy wireless card". Well, it worked under
    Windows and any Live distro I've ever tried."

    "wouldn't mind moving away from Windows, because I'm certainly not a fan of
    Microsoft at large, the DRM (even though that's not just Microsoft's
    fault), the proprietary file formats etc. But I don't want to move away
    when all the alternatives are inferior. Linux is not great code. Kernel and
    other parts might be OK, but when you start digging into the other
    components that make up a distribution, and start looking at some of the
    bitchfights... ugh. Microsoft certainly isn't perfect, but moving to that
    kind of infantility?

    I had actually planned to dual-boot my new laptop with Xubuntu and give it
    a serious try, but of course the thing doesn't want to install - weird grub
    errors I've never seen before, and haven't been able to track down the
    source of. And can't give GRUB a try since, for some reason, it wants to
    grab that off the net. And while the pretty standard realtek gigabit NIC is
    detected by the kernel, there's no connectivity - some kernel IRQ routing
    ****up is my guess, considering the insane number reported in
    /proc/interrupts .

    And that's just the point where I give up. I don't want to go through a
    zillion hoops just to do simple things. I've used linux since RedHat 5.1,
    I've messed with debian, slackware, archlinux, gentoo, x/k/ubuntu and a
    couple of others. I've usually been able to make them do what I wanted
    (including DSL router/firewall, root-encrypted fileserver, various
    development support needs like apache/php/mysql/postgres/subversion/redmine
    etc.), but there's always been too much bloody work involved.

    No filesystem hierarchy standard that everybody agrees on. And even when
    there's a somewhat similar layout, subtle (or not so subtle!) things are
    handled differently. A zillion different package managers, not to mention
    that Perl, Python and Ruby have their own systems. Makes me want to scream
    and knock my head against the wall.

    But at least for server use, it makes sense. I can run the system headless
    and SSH to it, which is more efficient across the internet than remote
    desktop. And once you've spent all the frustrated time getting things
    working and firewalled the stuff, you can often let the systems sit by
    unattended for years (same with Windows, though. Both systems obviously
    need to be updated when there's vulnerable software).

    But for desktops? Too much bloody work, I'd have to spend time hunting for
    replacement software (some of it beta and/or pretty inferior to what I have
    - show me a competitor to Visual Studio that isn't half-baked), and to what
    benefit? Sure, "freedom" - whatever that means.

    Sorry for the rant, but I get frustrated when I see people claiming it's
    easy and full of joy to 'switch over'. Sure, it can work for some people -
    my mum could probably be happy with an Ubuntu, she'd still be able to play
    flash games, do her java-enabled web banking, surf the net, use OpenOffice
    and send/receive mails. And you don't need to "shop for compatible
    hardware" in the same sense as in the early years. But for me it's just too
    much frustration to be worth it Sad

    Oh, and that was just from the end-user's perspective. I won't go into the
    issues of GPL and program-for-a-living now, but that's another thing that
    I'm pretty skeptical about, to put it mildly."

    "I snipped the list. But yes, some of those points are reasons why I
    wouldn't mind having a working alternative to Windows. I think the
    unconformity of distros is a problem, though, and I don't get viruses or
    BSODs on Windows (except for bad hardware or drivers, but that would cause
    kernel panics on linux anyway smiley). The registry is a good thing, btw,
    and it's a shame linux is stuck with a cluttered mess of config files with
    different formats."

    ....and so forth.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Interesting Linux discussion over at Donationcoder.com

    noj wrote:
    > Ten Tips for Windows users making the switch to Linux
    > http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/...?topic=15360.0
    >
    > Seems some Windows users are still confused on what the hell Linux
    > is, ha!!

    I like this one:

    "05. DON'T BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT
    It's harder than you think to take down a Linux machine."

    Did he try moving the mouse? Sometimes that will take Linux down and force
    a hard reboot.

  4. Re: Interesting Linux discussion over at Donationcoder.com

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:02:15 -0400
    "DFS" wrote:

    > I like this one:
    >
    > "05. DON'T BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT
    > It's harder than you think to take down a Linux machine."
    >
    > Did he try moving the mouse? Sometimes that will take Linux down and
    > force a hard reboot.

    Feel free to provide some proof of a bug which can be triggered in this
    fashion. I haven't had mouse (or keyboard, for that matter) input be
    the cause of a crash and hard reboot ever since I've started using
    Linux systems in 1996.

    Hell, even misbehaving graphics drivers don't take the system down. A
    bad graphics driver might muck up the display after a while (read:
    NVIDIA binary drivers), but at least you can still reboot the machine,
    albeit blindly, when this happens.

    Misbehaving graphics drivers in Windows tend to have far more
    disastrous consequences; Windows "shuts down to protect your computer"
    or some awful thing like that. Not even a chance to save your work,
    just *bloop* blue screen love. It'd be justifiable for, say, an error
    in a disk controller driver that was lurking around in kernel space, or
    something. But for a video driver? Please.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

+ Reply to Thread