[News] [Rival] British Library Ruins Public Assets with Microsoft DRM - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] British Library Ruins Public Assets with Microsoft DRM

    No need to burn books you can't read - DRM and public libraries

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As my correspondent says: "After all that I still couldn't open the document
    | (which I've only opened once before) and got this. Now I know I haven't
    | opened the document at another computer because this is my only computer with
    | a printer - so I didn't open it anywhere else. I am never using this service
    | again. The British Library, Microsoft and Adobe can go shove their DRM up
    | their document delivery service exit. "
    |
    | This, let me reiterate, is a public body providing publicly paid-for research
    | to a highly-qualified professional engaged in impeccable work for the public
    | service.
    |
    | It is hard to imagine something more expensive, condescending, inaccurate,
    | frustrating and enraging – nor something better calculated to restrict
    | knowledge and broadcast ignorance.
    |
    | It's almost as if the parties involved actively want to prevent people
    | learning. It certainly feels that way.
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

    They take rights away from people and /sell/ them back.

    BBC iPlayer downloads coming to Mac and Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, the Beeb's downloadable content will come with strings attached:
    | content for all platforms will include DRM.
    `----

    http://www.silicon.com/retailandleis...9315322,00.htm

    Recent:

    BL = Betrayed Library

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So the BL's idea of progress is locking down books - you know, those
    | old-fashioned things without DRM - with patent-encumbered technology.
    | That's "giving as wide an audience as possible the most accurate experience
    | of reading the real thing"? Only in the minds of rather dim librarians who
    | understand nothing about the broader implications of the shiny technology
    | they choose. Me, I call it a betrayal of everything the once-great BL stood
    | for....
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...d-library.html

    Good bye, British Library

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is an image from the good old days. Microsoft's Jean Paoli hands over
    | the OOXML specification to Jan van den Beld, the general secretary of ECMA.
    | And you find Adam Farquhar from the British Library, the bearded person on
    | the right. The British Library was instrumental to legitimizing the whole
    | ECMA and ISO OOXML standardisation process as an 'independent' participant in
    | the committee work. ECMA did a brilliant job to mature the specification text
    | to get it ISO fast-tracked. Or as the ISO BRM convenor and recent consultant
    | for the British Library Alex Brown reflects1:
    |
    | * * Ecma made the road very rocky though, by initially producing a text that
    | * * was so lousy with faults.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61777...ritish-library

    Related:

    Ecma - a case study for vendor capture

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/ecma-and-vendor-capture

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And the company Griffin Brown, of which the BRM convenor Alex Brown is the
    | director, sent out a press release 13 March 08 celebrating the 10th
    | anniversary of XML: *
    |
    | "Recent moves by Microsoft to standardise its Office products around XML file
    | formats merely confirms that most valuable business data in the future will
    | be stored in XML. … Alex Brown is convenor of the ISO/IEC DIS 29500 Ballot
    | Resolution Process, and has recently been elected to the panel to advise the
    | British Library on how to handle digital submission of journal articles." * *
    |
    | [PJ: A bit of background on the British Library here, but the short version
    | is that it uses Microsoft, was a co-sponsor of having Ecma put what is now
    | OOXML on the fast track, and says today it is "pleased".] - No OOXML *
    `----

    http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

    British Library books go digital

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Digitised publications will be accessible in two ways -initially through
    | Microsoft's Live Search Books and then via the Library's website.
    `----

    Britain: E-Mail Time Capsule in Works

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now the British Library is appealing to ordinary Britons for their
    | e-mails, saying it wants to create a snapshot of British life in 2007.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The e-mails will be collated and indexed by Microsoft Corp., which
    | has previously partnered with the library to digitize books from
    | its archive, and they will be available to researchers before
    | the year's end.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070503/brita...hive.html?.v=1

    Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft and the British Library have digitised two of Leonardo da
    | Vincis' notebooks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The British Library has created an updated version of its application
    | called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of
    | its 150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how
    | this works better using Vista.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/

    Publish And Perish

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
    | Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
    | "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
    | look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
    | If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
    | case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
    | Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
    |
    | "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
    | become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
    | Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
    | way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
    | "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
    | photos," Rose said.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/boo...rtner=yahootix
    http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

    British Library calls for digital copyright action

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a manifesto released on Monday at the Labor Party Conference
    | in Manchester, the United Kingdom's national library warned that the
    | country's traditional copyright law needs to be extended to fully
    | recognize digital content.
    |
    | "Unless there is a serious updating of copyright law to recognize
    | the changing technological environment, the law becomes an ass,"
    | Lynne Brindley, chief executive of the British Library, told ZDNet
    | UK.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6119043.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] British Library Ruins Public Assets with Microsoft DRM

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 02:42:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > No need to burn books you can't read - DRM and public libraries

    And are the various papers you have written, Roy Schestowitz, available for
    free?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. [As Usual] Roy makes up stuff about Microsoft (was Re: [News] [Rival] British Library Ruins Public Assets with Microsoft DRM)

    In article <4417190.TZT58WT28x@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

    Another gross misrepresentation by Roy. It's Adobe DRM. The only
    connection to Microsoft is that it appears that Adobe will let you tie a
    document to either your Adobe ID or your Microsoft Passport ID.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread