[News] [Rival] TeleSoft Attacks Free(dom) Software with FUD - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] TeleSoft Attacks Free(dom) Software with FUD

    And you thought Microsoft's open source FUD was bad

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perhaps recognizing that not everyone will buy into its FUD, TeleSoft claims
    | to support the popular Linux operating system, but with a kernel-loadable
    | module approach that keeps its IP safe from that voracious appetite of
    | IP-stealing Linux. Nice. TeleSoft wants to have its cake ("open source is
    | terrible!") and eat it, too ("but our open source is not so terrible!").
    |
    | TeleSoft provides protocol stacks to the telecom industry, and from the sound
    | of things it's getting sick of losing to open source. I used to work in this
    | embedded Network and Communications market years ago and open-source adoption
    | was exceptionally high. Threatened by open source's low price and high
    | functionality, it's not surprising to see TeleSoft fight back.
    |
    | But it might want to use factual information next time. The developers it's
    | targeting with this FUD campaign will struggle to understand TeleSoft's point
    | that "no documentation and quality testing means no guarantee of
    | interoperability." (What does quality testing have to do with
    | interoperability?) They'll scoff at the notion that open source isn't (or
    | can't be) "tailored for [customers'] unique hardware and operating system."
    | In fact, the opposite is, or can be, true.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10066653-16.html

    Recent:

    Now Hiring - Astroturfer, apply at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Evidently, a "Senior Marketing Manager" has the responsibility of:
    |
    | * * * "assisting in defining and driving core marketing initiatives – most
    | * * specifically online & offline community-building"
    | * * * "further the dialogue on the value of the Microsoft platform to open
    | * * source audiences"
    | * * * "be a cornerstone for a global thought leadership website and will be
    | * * regularly featured in industry press around the world"
    | * * * "act as a visible external evangelist for Microsoft"
    |
    | Wow! That's all direct quotes from the job description. It is so blatant, I'm
    | beginning to wonder if it's some kind of joke. Particularly the 'evangelist'
    | line.
    |
    | Kind of like the famous Halloween documents, this posting really tips
    | Microsoft's hand and shows us exactly what they're thinking. After all the
    | smoke and mirrors over the deals with Linux distros Suse, Linspire, Xandross,
    | and Turbo Linux, this shows that those distros were in fact acquired in order
    | to be killed. It's not Linux that Microsoft wants, it's the customers.
    `----

    http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index....&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

    Related:

    Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools in a
    | scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the tools --
    | Microsoft will send you a check for $200. *
    `----

    http://chronicle.com/data/articles.d...r/33a03001.htm

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] TeleSoft Attacks Free(dom) Software with FUD

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > And you thought Microsoft's open source FUD was bad
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Perhaps recognizing that not everyone will buy into its FUD, TeleSoft
    > | claims to support the popular Linux operating system, but with a
    > | kernel-loadable module approach that keeps its IP safe from that
    > | voracious appetite of IP-stealing Linux. Nice. TeleSoft wants to have
    > | its cake ("open source is terrible!") and eat it, too ("but our open
    > | source is not so terrible!").

    May be this company stealing the GPL'd Linux code
    should write their own Linux from scratch to avoid
    infringing the rights of hundreds of thousands of programmers who
    contributed to GPL'd code in Linux.

    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10066653-16.html

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] TeleSoft Attacks Free(dom) Software with FUD

+ Reply to Thread