NSA's Warrantless Eavesdropping Targets Innocent Americans

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember when the U.S. government said it was only spying on terrorists?
| Anyone with any common sense knew it was lying -- power without oversight is
| always abused -- but even I didn't think it was this bad:
| Faulk says he and others in his section of the NSA facility at Fort
| Gordon routinely shared salacious or tantalizing phone calls that had
| been intercepted, alerting office mates to certain time codes of "cuts"
| that were available on each operator's computer.
| "Hey, check this out," Faulk says he would be told, "there's good phone
| sex or there's some pillow talk, pull up this call, it's really funny, go
| check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would
| say, 'Wow, this was crazy'," Faulk told ABC News.
| Warrants are a security device. They protect us against government abuse of
| power.

UK appeals court rejects encryption key disclosure defense

,----[ Quote ]
| Defendants can't deny police an encryption key because of fears the data it
| unlocks will incriminate them, a British appeals court has ruled.

So based on suspicion alone, encryption is rendered moot and forbidden.

Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

,----[ Quote ]
| If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
| terrorism. It's already being misused.

Judge: Man can't be forced to divulge encryption passphrase

,----[ Quote ]
| In this case, Judge Niedermeier took the second approach. He said that
| encryption keys can be "testimonial," and even the prosecution's alternative
| of asking the defendant to type in the passphrase when nobody was looking
| would be insufficient. * *

Feds appeal loss in PGP compelled-passphrase case

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time to take another look at the intriguing case of United States v.
| Boucher, which may set the ground rules for whether or not criminal
| defendants can be compelled to divulge encryption passphrases. *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)