Re: The oh so stable Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: The oh so stable Linux - Linux ; On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:27:58 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote: > I can't look for answers. I can't troubleshoot. When the problem occurs, > I have to get the system working again immediately, leaving no time to > troubleshoot the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:27:58 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > I can't look for answers. I can't troubleshoot. When the problem occurs,
    > I have to get the system working again immediately, leaving no time to
    > troubleshoot the problem.

    Which leads me to believe many of the people in COLA have little or no real
    world experience.
    The same concept applies to when these people talk about moving to Linux or
    updating, switching distributions willy nilly.
    It just does not work like that in the real world.

    They need a lesson in the old school IBM Change Management methods.

    > I can't reproduce the problem on test machines because it doesn't get the
    > same load or traffic.

    Not unusual for any OS.

    > Now of course every platform has bugs. It just seems that I always run
    > into them in Linux.

    Me too.
    And don't kid yourself the Linux users in COLA are having problems,they
    mostly choose to not admit it because it's like harming the mother ship or
    something.

    As for your problem, it almost sounds like you are under attack.
    DDoS or something similar?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On 16 okt, 03:45, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:27:58 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > > I can't look for answers. *I can't troubleshoot. *When the problem occurs,
    > > I have to get the system working again immediately, leaving no time to
    > > troubleshoot the problem.

    > Which leads me to believe many of the people in COLA have little or no real
    > world experience.
    > The same concept applies to when these people talk about moving to Linux or
    > updating, switching distributions willy nilly.
    > It just does not work like that in the real world.
    >
    > They need a lesson in the old school IBM Change Management methods.
    >
    > > I can't reproduce the problem on test machines because it doesn't get the
    > > same load or traffic.

    > Not unusual for any OS.
    >
    > > Now of course every platform has bugs. *It just seems that I always run
    > > into them in Linux.

    > Me too.
    > And don't kid yourself the Linux users in COLA are having problems,they
    > mostly choose to not admit it because it's like harming the mother ship or
    > something.

    Yup... It's all a great conspiracy of silence. From IBM, from Sun,
    from Google, from Dell... They're all having problems and keep it to
    themselves.

    My problem is i haven't had a single virus, since i started using
    linux, do not suffer any "undocumented features" a.k.a. bugs and my
    favorite OS only crashes if i've got errors in my homegrown drivers.

    Damn...

  3. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    "Kleuskes & Moos" writes:

    > On 16 okt, 03:45, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:27:58 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >> > I can't look for answers. ¬*I can't troubleshoot. ¬*When the problem occurs,
    >> > I have to get the system working again immediately, leaving no time to
    >> > troubleshoot the problem.

    >> Which leads me to believe many of the people in COLA have little or no real
    >> world experience.
    >> The same concept applies to when these people talk about moving to Linux or
    >> updating, switching distributions willy nilly.
    >> It just does not work like that in the real world.
    >>
    >> They need a lesson in the old school IBM Change Management methods.
    >>
    >> > I can't reproduce the problem on test machines because it doesn't get the
    >> > same load or traffic.

    >> Not unusual for any OS.
    >>
    >> > Now of course every platform has bugs. ¬*It just seems that I always run
    >> > into them in Linux.

    >> Me too.
    >> And don't kid yourself the Linux users in COLA are having problems,they
    >> mostly choose to not admit it because it's like harming the mother ship or
    >> something.

    > Yup... It's all a great conspiracy of silence. From IBM, from Sun,
    > from Google, from Dell... They're all having problems and keep it to
    > themselves.

    Conspiracy of silence? DELL refuse to deal with Linux support and palm it
    off to the community. Here. Take a look. It doesnt seem so "silent" to
    me ....

    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

    > My problem is i haven't had a single virus, since i started using
    > linux, do not suffer any "undocumented features" a.k.a. bugs and my
    > favorite OS only crashes if i've got errors in my homegrown drivers.
    >
    > Damn...

    Homegrown drivers? Maybe you could post a link to the code and we can
    help fix the bugs?

    --
    - "Just think, consumers are not sold on XP, and Microsoft shelled out
    some major $$$ to develop this thing. This is a great opportunity for

  4. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Homegrown drivers? Maybe you could post a link to the code and we can
    > help fix the bugs?

    You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Shh! Be vewy qwiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!

  5. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tattoo Vampire belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Homegrown drivers? Maybe you could post a link to the code and we can
    >> help fix the bugs?

    > You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    > --
    > Regards,
    > [tv]
    >
    > ...Shh! Be vewy qwiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!

    Hadron, the Elmer Fudd of device dwivers.

    --
    Q: How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a job?
    A: Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.

  6. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Homegrown drivers? Maybe you could post a link to the code and we can
    >> help fix the bugs?

    > You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Well, Hadron Quark is a "kernel hacker". He said so...
    --
    The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and
    stupidity

  7. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tattoo Vampire belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Homegrown drivers? Maybe you could post a link to the code and we can
    >>> help fix the bugs?

    >> You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> [tv]
    >>
    >> ...Shh! Be vewy qwiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!

    > Hadron, the Elmer Fudd of device dwivers.

    And yet I have corrected you on pretty much every subject you posted a
    technical note about.

    Poor Liarmutt. Cosying up to the dregs now.

    --
    "It's perhaps inevitable that some professionals would paint their status
    as being somehow superior to those of the amateurs, after all, they're

  8. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Homegrown drivers? Maybe you could post a link to the code and we can
    >>> help fix the bugs?

    >> You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    > Well, Hadron Quark is a "kernel hacker". He said so...

    I'm a pretty competent C programmer. I have spent a lot of time reading
    the kernel sources. It's amazing how impressed you are with these little
    accomplishments. Jesus, Marti got a stiffy because I use emacs. Strange
    bunch in COLA.

    --
    "It's perhaps inevitable that some professionals would paint their status
    as being somehow superior to those of the amateurs, after all, they're
    trying to get paid."
    -- Mark Kent mouthing off in comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.unix.solaris

  9. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On 16 okt, 12:42, Hadron wrote:
    > "Kleuskes & Moos" writes:

    > >> Which leads me to believe many of the people in COLA have little or noreal
    > >> world experience.
    > >> The same concept applies to when these people talk about moving to Linux or
    > >> updating, switching distributions willy nilly.
    > >> It just does not work like that in the real world.

    > >> They need a lesson in the old school IBM Change Management methods.

    > >> Not unusual for any OS.

    > >> Me too.
    > >> And don't kid yourself the Linux users in COLA are having problems,they
    > >> mostly choose to not admit it because it's like harming the mother ship or
    > >> something.

    > > Yup... It's all a great conspiracy of silence. From IBM, from Sun,
    > > from Google, from Dell... They're all having problems and keep it to
    > > themselves.

    > Conspiracy of silence? DELL refuse to deal with Linux support and palm it
    > off to the community. Here. Take a look. It doesnt seem so "silent" to
    > me ....
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331
    >

    > > My problem is i haven't had a single virus, since i started using
    > > linux, do not suffer any "undocumented features" a.k.a. bugs and my
    > > favorite OS only crashes if i've got errors in my homegrown drivers.

    > > Damn...

    > Homegrown drivers? Maybe you could post a link to the code and we can
    > help fix the bugs?

    I've not yet published it. I said homegrown, home made, i.e. for
    private use at the moment, to make that point, but obviously it wasn't
    all that clear.

    I prefer to get the nastiest bugs out myself, before troubling with my
    homegrown stuff, if you don't mind. If and when i think it's usefull
    to the community at large, i'll let you know.

  10. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >>> You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    >> Well, Hadron Quark is a "kernel hacker". He said so...

    > I'm a pretty competent C programmer.

    I am sooo impressed

    > I have spent a lot of time reading the kernel sources.

    Even more impressed. Hadron can "read". Even "kernel sources"
    We must bow and kneel to this especially rare and fine "kernel hacker"

    > It's amazing how impressed you are with these little accomplishments.

    "Impressed"? I guess you got that part somewhat wrong. Nobody here
    is "impressed" by your "accomplishments". Even *if* they were true

    > Jesus, Marti got a stiffy because I use emacs.

    Certainly.

    > Strange bunch in COLA.

    Yes. Very strange. There are people here who don't like being lied to. Who
    actually achieved something in life. Who actually /use/ linux instead of
    constantly lying about it, like you do
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  11. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tattoo Vampire belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> [tv]
    >>>
    >>> ...Shh! Be vewy qwiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!

    >> Hadron, the Elmer Fudd of device dwivers.

    > And yet I have corrected you on pretty much every subject you posted a
    > technical note about.

    Eh, no.
    You again use the "Snot Glasser technique" of claiming to have "someone
    educated". Even if that someone was the one who explained the stuff to you
    in the first place

    --
    Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.

  12. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >All his yapping can't disguise the fact that Hadron's posts are
    >predominantly short on substance.

    Well, the Quack fsckwit will simply misinterpret, intentionally, what
    you wrote, then proceed to spew snot about how "stupid" you are and
    proceed to "correct" you.

    Of course, his dishonest fsckwittery is quite transparent.

    --
    "its much more constructive than telling lies about how great Linux is
    and how crap MS are doing." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

  13. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:50:37 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter KŲhlmann belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> And yet I have corrected you on pretty much every subject you posted a
    >>> technical note about.

    >> Eh, no.
    >> You again use the "Snot Glasser technique" of claiming to have "someone
    >> educated". Even if that someone was the one who explained the stuff to you
    >> in the first place

    > Tecnically, you might say Hadron is correct, in that he has posted some
    > reply to nearly everything I've written, so obsessed is he with me. To
    > Hadron, that means he has "corrected" me, even if he wrote nothing more
    > intelligent than the screech "Liarnut".
    >
    > All his yapping can't disguise the fact that Hadron's posts are
    > predominantly short on substance.

    Ah, in short an "Empty Suit".

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  14. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    >>> Well, Hadron Quark is a "kernel hacker". He said so...

    >> I'm a pretty competent C programmer.

    > I am sooo impressed

    Why?

    This isn't working Peter.

    Did you see me gloating over your grandose BIOS claims. There really is
    nothing to show off about being a competetent programmer. There are
    missions of them. AND remember one of the MAIN reasons for going Linux
    and OSS is ... YES! Access to the source. Why you should think it so
    amazing is beyond me. Oh yes! You're a Windows user!

    >> I have spent a lot of time reading the kernel sources.

    > Even more impressed. Hadron can "read". Even "kernel sources"
    > We must bow and kneel to this especially rare and fine "kernel hacker"
    >
    >> It's amazing how impressed you are with these little accomplishments.

    > "Impressed"? I guess you got that part somewhat wrong. Nobody here
    > is "impressed" by your "accomplishments". Even *if* they were true

    LOL. You are a paranoid nutjob.

    >> Jesus, Marti got a stiffy because I use emacs.

    > Certainly.
    >
    >> Strange bunch in COLA.
    >>

    > Yes. Very strange. There are people here who don't like being lied to. Who
    > actually achieved something in life. Who actually /use/ linux instead of
    > constantly lying about it, like you do

    You're a fool Peter. And you become more ludicrous with every post. You
    know I use Debian.

    --
    - "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
    want something new and more exciting."

  15. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> I'm a pretty competent C programmer.

    >> I am sooo impressed

    > Why?
    >
    > This isn't working Peter.
    >
    > Did you see me gloating over your grandose BIOS claims.

    What was "grandiose" about them? I have the sources to prove them, and you
    can still read the entries in Jim Browns Interrupt List
    There is nothing "grandiose". It is a simple fact, and you again can't deal
    with it. After all, *again* something you could not pull off, but someone
    else did.

    > There really is nothing to show off about being a competetent programmer.

    It is something to be proud of. Being competent, no matter in what area,
    *is* something. You obviously aren't. Hence you extreme jealousy

    > There are
    > missions of them. AND remember one of the MAIN reasons for going Linux
    > and OSS is ... YES! Access to the source. Why you should think it so
    > amazing is beyond me. Oh yes! You're a Windows user!

    Idiot

    >>> I have spent a lot of time reading the kernel sources.

    >> Even more impressed. Hadron can "read". Even "kernel sources"
    >> We must bow and kneel to this especially rare and fine "kernel hacker"
    >>
    >>> It's amazing how impressed you are with these little accomplishments.

    >> "Impressed"? I guess you got that part somewhat wrong. Nobody here
    >> is "impressed" by your "accomplishments". Even *if* they were true

    > LOL. You are a paranoid nutjob.

    No. I simply don't fall for your lies

    >>> Jesus, Marti got a stiffy because I use emacs.

    >> Certainly.
    >>
    >>> Strange bunch in COLA.
    >>>

    >> Yes. Very strange. There are people here who don't like being lied to.
    >> Who actually achieved something in life. Who actually /use/ linux instead
    >> of constantly lying about it, like you do

    > You're a fool Peter. And you become more ludicrous with every post. You
    > know I use Debian.

    I know that you *claim* to use it. I am simply not dumb enough to actually
    believe you
    --
    Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
    you with experience...

  16. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    >>> I am sooo impressed

    >> Why?
    >>
    >> This isn't working Peter.
    >>
    >> Did you see me gloating over your grandose BIOS claims.

    > What was "grandiose" about them? I have the sources to prove them, and
    > you

    Nothing. Same as when I mention I read some OSS.

    Nice self nuke.

  17. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:21:02 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tattoo Vampire belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> [tv]
    >>>
    >>> ...Shh! Be vewy qwiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!

    >> Hadron, the Elmer Fudd of device dwivers.

    > And yet I have corrected you on pretty much every subject you posted a
    > technical note about.
    >
    > Poor Liarmutt. Cosying up to the dregs now.

    LiarMutt gets spanked each and every time he tries to go technical.
    He is much better off remaining Roy's lap dog.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  18. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:23:07 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Peter KŲhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >>> You? Help? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    >> Well, Hadron Quark is a "kernel hacker". He said so...

    > I'm a pretty competent C programmer. I have spent a lot of time reading
    > the kernel sources. It's amazing how impressed you are with these little
    > accomplishments. Jesus, Marti got a stiffy because I use emacs. Strange
    > bunch in COLA.

    Looks like the COLA gang bang is up and running.
    Did Willy Poaster go last as usual?
    Strange.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  19. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Why?
    >>>
    >>> This isn't working Peter.
    >>>
    >>> Did you see me gloating over your grandose BIOS claims.

    >> What was "grandiose" about them? I have the sources to prove them, and
    >> you

    > Nothing. Same as when I mention I read some OSS.
    >

    > Nice self nuke.

    You lost me here. What is "self nuking" here? That I have sources to the
    BIOSses I have written myself, and you /claiming/ to be able to read
    source?

    It is not at all the same thing.
    --
    Windows - How do you want to be exploited today?

  20. Re: The oh so stable Linux

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    >>> What was "grandiose" about them? I have the sources to prove them, and
    >>> you

    >> Nothing. Same as when I mention I read some OSS.
    >>

    >> Nice self nuke.

    > You lost me here. What is "self nuking" here? That I have sources to the
    > BIOSses I have written myself, and you /claiming/ to be able to read
    > source?
    >
    > It is not at all the same thing.

    Actually that's not it at all. I am saying there is nothing special. Same
    as there is nothing special in a competent C programmer being able to
    read sources. Its you that is making it out to be some sort of "l33t"
    trick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast