Damn Small Linux as a tool - Linux

This is a discussion on Damn Small Linux as a tool - Linux ; The other day I was building another machine from junk parts based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333) The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier... and the CPU info was not avail in ...

  1. Damn Small Linux as a tool

    The other day I was building another machine from junk parts
    based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)

    The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier...
    and the CPU info was not avail in the bios.
    (At least the frequency and voltage jumpers were labeled)

    Brainstorm:

    Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.

    It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.

    I guessed correctly the first time!

    (That must happen once a year or so)

  2. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    After takin' a swig o' grog, philo belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > The other day I was building another machine from junk parts
    > based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)
    >
    > The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier...
    > and the CPU info was not avail in the bios.
    > (At least the frequency and voltage jumpers were labeled)
    >
    > Brainstorm:
    >
    > Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    > the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.
    >
    > It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.
    >
    > I guessed correctly the first time!

    Neat!

    > (That must happen once a year or so)

    Plus the time you decided to give Linux a try!

    --
    Love makes fools, marriage cuckolds, and patriotism malevolent imbeciles.
    -- Paul Leautaud, "Passe-temps"

  3. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:jYuJk.50410$vX2.46082@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, philo belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > The other day I was building another machine from junk parts
    > > based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)
    > >
    > > The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier...
    > > and the CPU info was not avail in the bios.
    > > (At least the frequency and voltage jumpers were labeled)
    > >
    > > Brainstorm:
    > >
    > > Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    > > the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.
    > >
    > > It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.
    > >
    > > I guessed correctly the first time!

    > Neat!
    >
    > > (That must happen once a year or so)

    > Plus the time you decided to give Linux a try!

    Well FWIW:
    I installed D.S.L. on a small drive and the AMD-500 machine runs quite well,
    even with only 64 megs of RAM...though I will probably up it to 128.

    I also have a few drives that I have already installed DSL on...
    just in case I need to get a machine ready...real fast.

    So far it has always autoconfigured to any new environment
    I introduce the drive into. At worst I sometimes have to increase the video
    resolution.

  4. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:25:12 -0500, philo wrote:

    > The other day I was building another machine from junk parts
    > based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)
    >
    > The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier...
    > and the CPU info was not avail in the bios.
    > (At least the frequency and voltage jumpers were labeled)
    >
    > Brainstorm:
    >
    > Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    > the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.
    >
    > It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.
    >
    > I guessed correctly the first time!
    >
    > (That must happen once a year or so)

    DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add to
    distribution fragmentation.
    Why?
    Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.

    Ubuntu Studio is another example.
    The Fedora based CCRMA audio distribution is another.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:25:12 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    >> The other day I was building another machine from junk parts
    >> based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)
    >>
    >> The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier...
    >> and the CPU info was not avail in the bios.
    >> (At least the frequency and voltage jumpers were labeled)
    >>
    >> Brainstorm:
    >>
    >> Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    >> the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.
    >>
    >> It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.
    >>
    >> I guessed correctly the first time!
    >>
    >> (That must happen once a year or so)

    > DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add to
    > distribution fragmentation.
    > Why?
    > Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.

    Yup. It has a place.

    > Ubuntu Studio is another example.
    > The Fedora based CCRMA audio distribution is another.

    Or the "debian medical" High Plains Hypocrite was crowing about the
    other day. Complete waste of time.

    --
    "This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable."

  6. Hadron is a tool

    Hadron wrote:

    > Yup. It has a place.

    So do you, in the sewer with the other rats.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....If Karl Marx's tomb a communist plot?

  7. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:25:12 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    > > The other day I was building another machine from junk parts
    > > based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)
    > >
    > > The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier...
    > > and the CPU info was not avail in the bios.
    > > (At least the frequency and voltage jumpers were labeled)
    > >
    > > Brainstorm:
    > >
    > > Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    > > the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.
    > >
    > > It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.
    > >
    > > I guessed correctly the first time!
    > >
    > > (That must happen once a year or so)

    > DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add

    > distribution fragmentation.
    > Why?
    > Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.
    >
    > Ubuntu Studio is another example.
    > The Fedora based CCRMA audio distribution is another.

    Yep

    DSL is great.

    The distro is small enough to be downloaded with a modem connection.

    Can install on a small HD in just a few minutes...

    and is a great way for me to give away P1's one Craigslist

    Just load DSL on the machine, post it,,,
    and they come to pick it up asap!

  8. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:55:33 -0500, philo wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:25:12 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> The other day I was building another machine from junk parts
    >>> based on an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)
    >>>
    >>> The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier...
    >>> and the CPU info was not avail in the bios.
    >>> (At least the frequency and voltage jumpers were labeled)
    >>>
    >>> Brainstorm:
    >>>
    >>> Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    >>> the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.
    >>>
    >>> It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.
    >>>
    >>> I guessed correctly the first time!
    >>>
    >>> (That must happen once a year or so)

    >> DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add

    >> distribution fragmentation.
    >> Why?
    >> Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu Studio is another example.
    >> The Fedora based CCRMA audio distribution is another.
    >>

    > Yep
    >
    > DSL is great.
    >
    > The distro is small enough to be downloaded with a modem connection.
    >
    > Can install on a small HD in just a few minutes...
    >
    > and is a great way for me to give away P1's one Craigslist
    >
    > Just load DSL on the machine, post it,,,
    > and they come to pick it up asap!

    That's actually a good idea!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add
    > to distribution fragmentation.
    > Why?
    > Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.

    Not really idiot!

    Thats not a measure of fragmentation!

    I can run a bash shell anywhere Linux is running.

    From Flat TVs to Supercomputers, I'm way ahead than any other
    competing platforms.

    From bash to X and window managers, its a seamless environment
    in every system and the experience is limited only by
    storage limitations of each system as the source code
    is available to compile and install as many apps as needed.

    The only thing that is fragmented is the windummy and appil
    retard world. There are no free ways to connect into it because
    there is no source code and its full of patents and litigation
    threats all around its edges. No wonder developers flee from
    the windummy appil retard world.

  10. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    7 writes:

    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >

    >> DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add
    >> to distribution fragmentation.
    >> Why?
    >> Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.

    > Not really idiot!
    >
    > Thats not a measure of fragmentation!

    Of course it is. By fragmentation he means too many people reinventing
    the wheel and muddying the waters.

    > I can run a bash shell anywhere Linux is running.

    Thats nice. But what that has to do with anything is anyone's guess.

    > From Flat TVs to Supercomputers, I'm way ahead than any other
    > competing platforms.
    >
    > From bash to X and window managers, its a seamless environment
    > in every system and the experience is limited only by
    > storage limitations of each system as the source code
    > is available to compile and install as many apps as needed.

    You don't know what you're talking about do you?

    > The only thing that is fragmented is the windummy and appil
    > retard world. There are no free ways to connect into it because
    > there is no source code and its full of patents and litigation
    > threats all around its edges. No wonder developers flee from
    > the windummy appil retard world.

    Nonsense as usual. You can ssh into either and run shells there too.

    --
    "True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It

  11. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:36:34 -0500, philo wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:jYuJk.50410$vX2.46082@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, philo belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >> > The other day I was building another machine from junk parts based on
    >> > an AMD-500 (The mobo originally had a Cyrix 333)
    >> >
    >> > The dang mobo had no label for the CPU multiplier... and the CPU info
    >> > was not avail in the bios. (At least the frequency and voltage
    >> > jumpers were labeled)
    >> >
    >> > Brainstorm:
    >> >
    >> > Boot from a Damn Small Linux cd,
    >> > the cpu is identified at the beginning of boot up.
    >> >
    >> > It only took me a few minutes to get the jumpers right.
    >> >
    >> > I guessed correctly the first time!

    >> Neat!
    >>
    >> > (That must happen once a year or so)

    >> Plus the time you decided to give Linux a try!
    >>

    > Well FWIW:
    > I installed D.S.L. on a small drive and the AMD-500 machine runs quite
    > well, even with only 64 megs of RAM...though I will probably up it to
    > 128.
    >

    > I also have a few drives that I have already installed DSL on... just in
    > case I need to get a machine ready...real fast.
    >
    > So far it has always autoconfigured to any new environment I introduce
    > the drive into. At worst I sometimes have to increase the video
    > resolution.

    I've never tried DSL, though I swear by Puppy. That will boot up and
    allow me to save customers precious data (Photo's, letters etc) when
    Windows decides to implode. It make me look like a wizard, and earns me a
    nice lump of change too!

    --
    I'm always polite, reasonable and kind.... except when I'm not.

  12. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    After takin' a swig o' grog, SomeBloke belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:36:34 -0500, philo wrote:
    >> So far it has always autoconfigured to any new environment I introduce
    >> the drive into. At worst I sometimes have to increase the video
    >> resolution.

    > I've never tried DSL, though I swear by Puppy. That will boot up and
    > allow me to save customers precious data (Photo's, letters etc) when
    > Windows decides to implode. It make me look like a wizard, and earns me a
    > nice lump of change too!

    I only get a beer when I do that :-((

    --
    Some men rob you with a six-gun -- others with a fountain pen.
    -- Woodie Guthrie

  13. Re: Hadron is not a tool

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Yup. It has a place.

    >So do you, in the sewer with the other rats.

    Subject corrected. Being a "tool" implies that he has worth.

    --
    "I'm a liar." - Hadron Quark

  14. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    Hadron wrote:

    > 7 writes:
    >
    >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >>

    >>> DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add
    >>> to distribution fragmentation.
    >>> Why?
    >>> Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.

    >> Not really idiot!
    >>
    >> Thats not a measure of fragmentation!

    > Of course it is. By fragmentation he means too many people reinventing
    > the wheel and muddying the waters.

    By muddying the water you mean unable to run bash as an example perhaps?
    Or do you mean you don't understand what fragmentation is?

    Typical micoshaftic problem space and marketing crap.

    They make word and it won't interoperate with approved standard
    like ODF or their own versions of past software.
    Thats fragmentation. The user has no idea what to do
    and left hanging in the air with lots of fragmented
    approaches to a simple thing such as opening a document.

    >> I can run a bash shell anywhere Linux is running.

    > Thats nice. But what that has to do with anything is anyone's guess.

    That means Linux is unified across all its boundaries and borders
    and isn't fragmented. Thats why there may be 300+ liveCDs for example,
    but all of them can be updated with software to run Open Office 3 thats
    just been released. Thats why Linux is not fragmented. If you think
    Linux is fragmented, you merely have to prove it.

  15. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    On 2008-10-16, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, SomeBloke belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:36:34 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>> So far it has always autoconfigured to any new environment I introduce
    >>> the drive into. At worst I sometimes have to increase the video
    >>> resolution.

    >> I've never tried DSL, though I swear by Puppy. That will boot up and
    >> allow me to save customers precious data (Photo's, letters etc) when
    >> Windows decides to implode. It make me look like a wizard, and earns me a
    >> nice lump of change too!

    > I only get a beer when I do that :-((

    I only get offered a beer for it. But I even have to turn /that/ down.

    --
    Windows: The answer to a question nobody asked.

  16. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    7 writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> 7 writes:
    >>
    >>> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb

    >>> Not really idiot!
    >>>
    >>> Thats not a measure of fragmentation!

    >> Of course it is. By fragmentation he means too many people reinventing
    >> the wheel and muddying the waters.

    > By muddying the water you mean unable to run bash as an example perhaps?
    > Or do you mean you don't understand what fragmentation is?

    Stop talking about running bash for God's sake. It is immaterial.

    > Typical micoshaftic problem space and marketing crap.

    What are you talking about?

    > They make word and it won't interoperate with approved standard
    > like ODF or their own versions of past software.

    ODF did not exist when they invented work you moron.

    > Thats fragmentation. The user has no idea what to do
    > and left hanging in the air with lots of fragmented
    > approaches to a simple thing such as opening a document.

    Actually no. They generally use Word and MS format. A shame and
    hopefully this will change when ODF fully works and OO supports it
    properly too....

    >>> I can run a bash shell anywhere Linux is running.

    >> Thats nice. But what that has to do with anything is anyone's guess.

    > That means Linux is unified across all its boundaries and borders
    > and isn't fragmented. Thats why there may be 300+ liveCDs for example,

    Not it does'nt. It means bash runs on the ones you know about.

    > but all of them can be updated with software to run Open Office 3 thats
    > just been released. Thats why Linux is not fragmented. If you think
    > Linux is fragmented, you merely have to prove it.

    Go to distro watch.

    --
    "Too bad they can't run your stupid ass out of here, flatfarb."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  17. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:17:10 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > 7 writes:
    >
    >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >>

    >>> DSL is a great Linux distro and is one of those that I feel does NOT add
    >>> to distribution fragmentation.
    >>> Why?
    >>> Because it is targeted, highly specific and different.

    >> Not really idiot!
    >>
    >> Thats not a measure of fragmentation!

    > Of course it is. By fragmentation he means too many people reinventing
    > the wheel and muddying the waters.
    >
    >> I can run a bash shell anywhere Linux is running.

    > Thats nice. But what that has to do with anything is anyone's guess.
    >

    >> From Flat TVs to Supercomputers, I'm way ahead than any other
    >> competing platforms.
    >>
    >> From bash to X and window managers, its a seamless environment
    >> in every system and the experience is limited only by
    >> storage limitations of each system as the source code
    >> is available to compile and install as many apps as needed.

    > You don't know what you're talking about do you?
    >

    >> The only thing that is fragmented is the windummy and appil
    >> retard world. There are no free ways to connect into it because
    >> there is no source code and its full of patents and litigation
    >> threats all around its edges. No wonder developers flee from
    >> the windummy appil retard world.

    > Nonsense as usual. You can ssh into either and run shells there too.

    I think 7 is hallucinating again.
    Too many drugs from back in the 60's are still circulating in his system.

    Maybe that's what he feeds his nanobots?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  18. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    Hadron wrote:

    > 7 writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Of course it is. By fragmentation he means too many people reinventing
    >>> the wheel and muddying the waters.

    >> By muddying the water you mean unable to run bash as an example perhaps?
    >> Or do you mean you don't understand what fragmentation is?

    > Stop talking about running bash for God's sake. It is immaterial.

    Why?

    I can run bash as an example from MP3 players to supercomputers.
    Thats what I call a unified experience of Linux where skills
    learned in one distro is valid across all fields in Linux.
    Nobody is muddying your waters there.
    I can look at distrowatch.com and there are more examples of Linux
    for running bash. There is no evidence of fragmentation of Linux.

    Where is your examples of too many people reinventing the wheel
    and muddying the waters?

  19. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:48:10 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-10-16, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, SomeBloke belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> I've never tried DSL, though I swear by Puppy. That will boot up and
    >>> allow me to save customers precious data (Photo's, letters etc) when
    >>> Windows decides to implode. It make me look like a wizard, and earns
    >>> me a nice lump of change too!

    >> I only get a beer when I do that :-((

    > I only get offered a beer for it. But I even have to turn /that/ down.

    My wife forces me to work for my crust, even though I'm 52!

    I'd much prefer to walk the Cornish coast path and take photo's. Life's a
    beach eh?

    --
    I'm always kind, polite and reasonable...

    except when I'm not.

  20. Re: Damn Small Linux as a tool

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:17:10 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> 7 writes:
    >>
    >>> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb

    >>> Not really idiot!
    >>>
    >>> Thats not a measure of fragmentation!

    > I think 7 is hallucinating again.

    May be you are the one hallucinating if you can't
    produce one example of Linux fragmentation.

    I can run bash from MP3 players to supercomputers.
    Thats a pretty wholesome and unfragmented
    Linux experience where skills learned in place
    is universal.

    > Too many drugs from back in the 60's are still circulating in his system.

    You seem to know more about that - suspect you were avid
    consumer of such condiments. But being stoned out of your
    mind every day asstroturfing on drugs you
    probably have difficulty distinguishing reality with hallucinatory
    experiences?

    > Maybe that's what he feeds his nanobots?

    May be you took the hallucinatory condiments during an episode of star trek?

+ Reply to Thread