Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus - Linux ; Peter Köhlmann writes: > Hadron wrote: > >> Peter Köhlmann writes: >> >>> Hadron wrote: >>> >>>> Rex Ballard writes: >>>> >>>>> Keep in mind that many corporations have been converting "non-public" >>>>> workstations such as point-of-sale units (cash registers, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 57 of 57

  1. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    >>> The same way *you* provide links? Never?

    >> Erm I do. All the time.

    > Nope. Practically never
    >
    >> Just not to you.

    > As if I had been the only one asking for proof. You make up your claims, and
    > then, no matter who asks for proof, they get nothing.

    I would ask for links but then we know you are a liar and a troll.

  2. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    LOL You lying sack of ****, Quack.

    --
    "Microsoft doesn't see Open Document as relevant." - Erik
    Funkenbusch

  3. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Quack lied:

    >>> Erm I do. All the time.

    > LOL You lying sack of ****, Quack.

    LSOS. New one.

    --
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    -- Groucho Marx

  4. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:00:22 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    >> Quack lied:

    >>> Erm I do. All the time.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    > LOL You lying sack of ****, Quack.

    I'll bet Quack didn't say that with a straight face.
    Or maybe he had his fingers crossed behind his back...

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  5. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    "Hadron" wrote in message

    > I do not disagree. I just can tell you that people don't arbitrarily
    > install Linux or ANY other OS on something like a POS. You need the
    > application SW available first.

    I would expect that the application software would be the essence of such a
    product unless the cash/credit devices were. The only such things that I
    have looked at were OS/2 based and the software was focused on the business
    at hand, in my case a semi-private golf club and restaurant. Here the POS
    system had modules specific to the bar, grill room, and proshop activities
    and allowed for easy access to things like tee time schedules, reservations,
    and the like. The bar and restaurant modules provided for billing to member
    accounts and for producing member invoices.

    I would further expect that this kind of thing would be a natural for a
    Linux implementation although the GPL might get in the way. If the
    customers had to have their noses rubbed in the source for Linux and other
    GPL programs that might be used in the implementation, the manufacturer
    might choose something that didn't have that rinky-dink image. People only
    see where their vendor is being sued. They don't see where it is not much
    of an issue such as the SFLC suits where the vendors were not advertising
    the BusyBox source loud enough to suit the authors.

  6. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    "Peter Khlmann" stated in post
    48f75e02$0$6568$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/16/08 8:30 AM:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Khlmann writes:

    >>> The same way *you* provide links? Never?

    >> Erm I do. All the time.

    > Nope. Practically never
    >
    >> Just not to you.

    > As if I had been the only one asking for proof. You make up your claims, and
    > then, no matter who asks for proof, they get nothing.
    >
    >> Why? You openly admit to not
    >> following any thing which might correct you.
    >>

    > That's fine. May I have the Msg-ID for that claim, Hadron Quark?
    >
    > You know, you just lied again. You are a lying asshole, nearly as dishonest
    > as that CSMA troll Snot Michael Glasser

    Msg-ID of a post where you think I have lied.

    LOL!

    Poor Peter... he *knows* he will *always* fail to support his accusations
    against me.

    --
    The fact that OS X is growing and Linux isn't, tells you that OS X is
    offering things that Linux is not.

  7. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:46:42 -0700, cc wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 8:07*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out
    >> * this bit o' wisdom:

    >> > Does Apple? Do Linux developer? Seems to me like such an obvious bit
    >> > of information is going unnoticed by the main competition as well
    >> > since they aren't taking advantage of it. With the exception of the
    >> > eye-candy you mentioned, what has happened in the past 7+ years that
    >> > XP can't handle? Off of the top of my head, security issues are one
    >> > thing I can think of. But say you keep your XP up-to-date with AV
    >> > software, then what reason would you have to "upgrade" to Vista,
    >> > Linux, or a Mac besides the fact that they are newer?

    >> Because Linux and Mac are simply faster, and Linux of course is more
    >> free.
    >>
    >> (Not to mention I really love the way Linux operates, much better than
    >> XP.)
    >>

    > That's fine. My point is that if my system is fast enough, secure
    > enough, and runs the software I want/need (and mine is a yes to all
    > three, as are most XP users I imagine), then why would I switch? Terry
    > Porter seems to think it's a travesty that a majority of people are
    > running an 8 year old OS, but what major advances have there been in SW
    > or HW over that time that would necessitate an upgrade?

    Excellent question indeed

    Again, just of the top of my head ....

    1) Wifi. Linux can do packet injection for wifi security testing,
    apparently Windows lacks drivers to do this ?
    2) Quad cores are very common, can XP use quad cores ?
    3) Bluetooth, how well does XP support Bluetooth ? Can it have an OBEX
    server etc?
    4) Virtual machines are all the rage: Linux has kernel support for
    virtual machines, XP ?

  8. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:49:48 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > DFS wrote:

    Hi Peter!!

    But unfair of you using your outstanding Teutonic logic on this DFS
    Wintroll, like taking candy from a baby ;-)

    Nice to read you again,

    Cheers
    Terry

  9. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:00:53 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message
    > newss5hs5-gn6.ln1@ponder.sky.com...
    >>
    >> inability to recognise even the simplest of sums and accusations of
    >> innumeracy against people who can, noted.
    >>

    > Not to mention the original poster's sloppiness in including a total
    > that wasn't visually differentiated from the components.

    They say that when it comes to Wintrolls, "fools seldom differ", others
    say that it's the same with Nymshifters, who being the *same* Wintroll,
    are unable to differ anyway.

    It's just pathetic seeing this grass roots ploy used to support DFS, when
    in fact amicus_curious is probably DFS anyway.

    Who would support such a moron unless the moron was himself ?

    Begone Wintroll, or at least lift your game

  10. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:07:04 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 4:18 am, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    >> "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    >> news:SvOdnbgYptRKqmjVnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    >>
    >> > Hi All,

    >> > I wonder if MS Windows realise that the most widely used OS on this
    >> > planet was released in October 2001?

    >> > Here is the breakdown of Windows hits from my personal website over
    >> > the last few days. It shows XP is about four times as common as
    >> > Vista.

    >> > Windows 49814 73.5 %
    >> > Windows XP 37620 55.5 %
    >> > Windows Vista 10290 15.1 %
    >> > Windows CE 4 0 %
    >> > Windows 98 59 0 %
    >> > Windows 2003 1021 1.5 %
    >> > Windows 2000 820 1.2 %

    > Only 73% for Windows. The rest was Linux and Mac?

    Hi Rex, I hope you're well and not too long in the tooth these days ;-)

    Here is todays breakdown via my web server:
    Versions Hits Percent
    Windows 75766 75.8 %
    Windows XP 57129 57.2 %
    Windows NT 30 0 %
    Windows Vista 15827 15.8 %
    Windows CE 4 0 %
    Windows 98 87 0 %
    Windows 2003 1654 1.6 %
    Windows 2000 1035 1 %
    BSD 32 0 %
    OpenBSD 30 0 %
    FreeBSD 2 0 %
    Linux 14643 14.6 %
    Ubuntu 8031 8 %
    Suse 221 0.2 %
    Red Hat 29 0 %
    Mandriva (or Mandrake) 37 0 %
    Fedora 800 0.8 %
    Debian 774 0.7 %
    Centos 30 0 %
    GNU Linux (Unknown or unspecified distribution) 4721 4.7 %
    Macintosh 8214 8.2 %
    Mac OS X 8214 8.2 %
    Others 1179 1.1 %
    Unknown 1057 1 %
    Unknown Unix system 84 0 %
    Sun Solaris 38 0 %

    >> You must have an unusual website to have such a low percentage of
    >> Windows based visitors. You must attract a lot of odd-ball Linux
    >> users. However, the relative values are not so surprising, given the
    >> lack of controls on your statistics.

    > I'd agree. I'm used to seeing a range that's pretty broad, but
    > normally, I look at
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php The survey is flawed - but
    > shows Linux growing from 0.9% to 1.99% and Other at 3.7%

    I can only speak for my web server. The fact it's sunny where you live,
    doesn't mean it's not raining here

    > and:
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp Which shows Linux
    > at 3.8% and Other is about 1%.
    >
    > Mac is about 5% in both cases.
    >
    > That would put Windows at about 90%
    >
    > Much higher than your site, with a much larger sample.

    Again, I'm making no claims other than my web server, which also claims
    that Linux is nearly as popular as Vista....

    Windows Vista 15827 15.8 %
    Linux 14643 14.6 %

    >> Vista is replacing XP as people acquire new machines and
    >> decommission old ones. If XP was in vogue for 6 years and garnered a
    >> fair amount of updates as well, it is reasonable for it to trail the
    >> installed base of XP by a ratio on the order of what you are observing.
    >> You cannot draw any real conclusions from that data.

    Of course I can. My data is 100% *real*, and no doubt skewed a dozen
    different ways, just like anyone elses data.

    Personally the data doesn't surprise me, I have yet to meet *one single*
    person who likes or advocates Vista.

    > Many of the XP machines being replaced as still fully functional,
    > they've just been so riddled with viruses and malware that they need to
    > be replaced. XP malware infections gave rise to the notion of the
    > "Disposable computer". - a computer that you could use for 6 months to
    > a year, and then trade in for another one. In corporate IT, the old
    > computer is re-imaged using a corporate disk image, and shipped to the
    > next guy who has a corrupted computer.
    >
    > Consumers have been getting the Vista computers because they have no
    > choice.

    This generalisation is just plain wrong.

    Hewlet Packard, for example recently claimed that the vast majority of
    their *new* pcs leave the factory with XP installed, but it's logged as a
    Vista install, using their legitimate 'upgrade to xp' right.

    > Corporate customers have been ordering XP compatible computers
    > and installing corporate XP images, replacing the Vista image.

    If you say so ...

    > The economic crisis may also trigger a moratorium on upgrades to Vista
    > as well. Corporations may even consider switches of more systems to
    > Linux.

    Who knows, anything is possible.

    > Keep in mind that many corporations have been converting "non-public"
    > workstations such as point-of-sale units (cash registers, teller
    > workstations, hotel desks, etc.) and call center workstations, to Linux.
    > This has given corporations a much better ability to assess real TCO
    > for Linux without committing the entire company's resources to a
    > transition that might not be the best choice.\

    Sure.

    > According to a survey conducted by Information week (sept 8, 2008, pg
    > 28), about 30% of the respondents were using Linux Desktop system of
    > some sort (similar to those described above),
    >
    > There has been very good results thus far, and many corporations are now
    > looking at migrating other desktop systems.
    >
    > In the one market where Linux competes directly with Windows in the
    > Retail space, Linux units outsell Windows units 6 to 4.

    You're overlooking the 'netbook' and handheld space, which is VAST beyond
    any expectations.

    I have three netbooks running Linux, how many do you have ?

    > Vista may be the best thing to happen to Vista since Windows NT 3.1 and
    > Windows ME. Windows NT 3.1 was such a disappointment that people
    > started looking at Linux more seriously and developers began providing
    > support for Linux, both as a server platform, and as a desktop system.
    > Windows ME was so disappointing that many people scuttled it for Linux.
    > This trend had Microsoft sufficiently concerned that they began shipping
    > Windows 98 "upgrade" kits designed to downgrade ME systems.

    Vista, the modern replacement for ME!

    Nice to read you again Rex, as always, I agree with you to a fair degree.

  11. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:28:48 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:39:26 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rex Ballard writes:
    >>
    >>> Keep in mind that many corporations have been converting "non-public"
    >>> workstations such as point-of-sale units (cash registers, teller
    >>> workstations, hotel desks, etc.) and call center workstations, to
    >>> Linux. This has given corporations a much better ability to assess

    >> Please provide some links which even partially back this statement up.

    > Rex should know better.
    >
    > The Kiosks at Jetblue, Air Lingus and several major hotel chains are
    > actually supported by IBM and they run Windows 2000.

    Windows 2000, the best of a bad bunch, and God help their customers.

  12. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:49:48 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    > Hi Peter!!
    >
    > But unfair of you using your outstanding Teutonic logic on this DFS
    > Wintroll, like taking candy from a baby ;-)

    One does not need logic (or even wit) to take that especially stupid troll
    apart. DumbFull**** is it for a reason

    > Nice to read you again,
    >
    > Cheers
    > Terry

    Nice to see you back. Probably flatfish will strive to renew
    his "love-affair" with you
    --
    Clippy: "It looks like you're trying to sue us,
    would you like me to delete all of your files?"

  13. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Please provide some links which even partially back this
    >>> statement up.

    >> Rex should know better.
    >>
    >> The Kiosks at Jetblue, Air Lingus and several major hotel
    >> chains are actually supported by IBM and they run Windows
    >> 2000.

    > Windows 2000, the best of a bad bunch, and God help their
    > customers.

    Yup.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c01924ba62ced5

    OTOH, yesterday I was passing through Boise City,
    Oklahoma. Stopped by a Love's gas station. Whilst inside, son
    pointed it out with a sense of humour. The Windows based Lotto
    kiosk had the BSOD (blue screen of death) showing on it.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  14. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Again, just of the top of my head ....
    >
    > 1) Wifi. Linux can do packet injection for wifi security testing,
    > apparently Windows lacks drivers to do this ?
    > 2) Quad cores are very common, can XP use quad cores ?
    > 3) Bluetooth, how well does XP support Bluetooth ? Can it have an OBEX
    > server etc?

    XP supports bluetooth, no problem.

    I don't know if it has something like obexfs or obex-data-server.

    Hmmm, I notice a lot more obex packages than I saw a few months ago.

    > 4) Virtual machines are all the rage: Linux has kernel support for
    > virtual machines, XP ?

    I don't really like virtual Linux on top of XP, from what I've seen of
    it.

    But that's just me.

    --
    A mother mouse was taking her large brood for a stroll across the kitchen
    floor one day when the local cat, by a feat of stealth unusual even for

  15. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise one could have come to the conclusion that you are again
    >>> pulling out your "arguments" out of your nether region...

    >> Out of Google actually. You might have heard o fit ...
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5phydo
    >>
    >> I suspect you like him here. He makes you look clever.

    > So, you not only have not provided the tiniest shred of evidence *why* he is
    > to be deemed "clueless".

    Ah but Peter, the very first link in Hadron's goo-goo fest is revealing:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....9b0c008b9a58e#

    My source, who resides very close to the nerve centre of Roy's little
    empire, informs me that Roy has upped his output to undermine the
    "second coming". Apparently Roy is non too happy that Terry Porter
    (http://tinyurl.com/34afka) is getting treated like some sort of god
    when even a cursory Google reveals him to be a nym shifting dork with
    about as much technical knowledge as Rick.

    . . .

    Which COLA "advocate" was refused a Microsoft bursary when he first
    went to Manchester University because he failed the aptitude test?
    Answers on the back of a post card please and send to the usual
    address....

    I like the John Le Carre spy talk, too:

    My source, who resides very close to the nerve centre of Roy's little
    empire, ...

    *LMAO*

    What a pompous windbag and cretin!

    > Additionally, you have not provided *any* reason why his claim you are
    > answering to is "stupid".

    Of course not. Hadron is mostly an insult generator and spankard.

    > In short: You fully lived up to your image. You are an asshole of gigantic
    > proportions. And a rather obnoxious and stupid troll

    I believe Hadron has /quite/ achieved his asspirations [sic] in that
    regard, Peter. His goal does seem to be this: to be an "asshole of
    gigantic proportions."

    In other words, Hadron Quark is the goatse.cx of Usenet trolls.

    He is admirably qualified for that distinction.

    He is Clogwog without the facility for word-play.

    --
    Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.
    -- William Buckley

  16. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:49:20 -0700, cc wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 4:04*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:22:47 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:
    >> > I wonder if MS Windows realise that the most widely used OS on this
    >> > planet was released in October 2001?

    >> 1984, actually. *Well, that's assuming that by "most widely used OS"
    >> you mean the one with the most actual installed copies. *With something
    >> over 3 billion copies in use, it ain't Linux. *Nor Windows, OSX or
    >> *BSD.

    > You know most of the talk centers on desktops around here, and ITRON is
    > not a desktop.

    Sorry, but "most widely used OS" does not limit scope to desktops. If
    one wanted it limited to desktops, it would have read "most widely used
    desktop OS".

    One might suspect that some folks around here can't really grasp the
    distinction, because the OS they use is fundamentally crippled and forces
    them into a singular view - it's a desktop or it's a server - and, in the
    general case they won't be running servers hence will regard "OS" and
    "desktop OS" as effectively synonymous, but anyone who has used an OS
    which isn't crippled in this manner should know better.

    Or, in simpler terms, while "hammer" may include both ball peen and the
    sort made by Nerf, it doesn't behoove one to regard the sort made by Nerf
    as the only sort to consider.

  17. Re: Windows XP is all back-o-the-bus

    On Oct 22, 1:45*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:49:20 -0700, cc wrote:
    > > On Oct 15, 4:04*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > >> [snips]

    > >> 1984, actually. *Well, that's assuming that by "most widely used OS"
    > >> you mean the one with the most actual installed copies. *With something
    > >> over 3 billion copies in use, it ain't Linux. *Nor Windows, OSX or
    > >> *BSD.

    > > You know most of the talk centers on desktops around here, and ITRON is
    > > not a desktop.

    > Sorry, but "most widely used OS" does not limit scope to desktops. *If
    > one wanted it limited to desktops, it would have read "most widely used
    > desktop OS".

    Or you could have made the most obvious assumptions:

    (a) He mentioned MS Windows
    (b) You assumed that "most used" meant most installs, which is an odd
    way of looking at "used"
    (c) Almost all arguments in this group center around the Linux desktop
    (d) He mentioned web stats

    > Or, in simpler terms, while "hammer" may include both ball peen and the
    > sort made by Nerf, it doesn't behoove one to regard the sort made by Nerf
    > as the only sort to consider.

    In a newsgroup that's only dedicated to hammers, then that would be a
    mistake. In a newsgroup dedicated to Nerf, that would probably be one
    you should go with. In other words, I live in America, and when the
    discussion is about "football" I make the reasonable assumption that
    it is about "American football." When I'm abroad, and the discussion
    is about "football" I make the reasonable assumption that it is about
    "soccer." This is a newsgroup dedicated to Linux advocacy, with most
    topics about Microsoft, and most arguments about the desktop. You've
    been around long enough to know that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3