Terry is back - Linux

This is a discussion on Terry is back - Linux ; Hi All, After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the beating they are taking these days, in every area. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90

  1. Terry is back

    Hi All,

    After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see
    if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the
    beating they are taking these days, in every area.

    Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark K!

    I've been forged many times over the years, when in fact my last post to
    Cola was probably pre 2001.

    Contrary to the usual silly "I've gone back to Windows" fake posts in my
    name, Linux is still my *only* OS, and I use it for everything as always.

    I've been very fortunate and have no need to use anything other than
    Linux in my daily work since 1997, which many Linux advocates cannot say
    (unfortunately) due to the Microsoft Monopoly.

    I've been flat out the last 5 years with my own WiFi business, doing
    technical support, network designs and supplying Access Points, so I
    won't be posting here often, certainly not like I once used to, with up
    to 300 replies a day.

    I can almost hear Kelsey B breath a sigh of relief. Never fear Kelsey,
    I'm older and a bit wiser now ;-)

    Work:
    I've personally supplied around 3500 Access points over the last 5 years
    all powered by Linux of course, as Linux in the embedded space is the
    sensible option.

    Even my TV, a 32" LG Hidef TV runs Linux.

    My three commercial set top boxes run Linux.

    My partner Janice, runs Linux Debian 4.0 on her workstation, and her Acer
    Aspire one runs Linpus (default).

    Our server a hp-netserver runs Slackware, and this workstation which is a
    Intel quad core runs Gnu/Gentoo/Icewm. It has 27 virtual desktops, all of
    which are packed with applications.

    I have two Asus Eeepc900's one I use for Wifi work and runs Debian Lenny,
    the other is a spare, still unpacked in its box.

    In 1997 it was clear that Linux was an unstoppable force, and it's
    interesting to see how Linux has grown exponentially since that time,
    which is amazing considering the size and power of the Convicted
    Monopolist which attempts every day to cut off the supply of Linux
    devices by any and all means possible, both legal and illegal.

    Now for some uptimes :-
    This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime
    23:55:13 up 56 days, 7:02, 31 users, load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09
    Server: root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime
    22:53:12 up 44 days, 5:43, 6 users, load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13

    What Linux apps do I use ?

    So many, I'll just name a few :-
    Network designs are done using Kicad or gEDA.
    PCB designs are done using PCB
    Browsing: Firefox3
    User manuals: LaTeX ( I'll never use anything else)
    Spreadsheets: Open Office
    VM: Qemu/KVM
    Cad Drawing: Qcad
    Programing Editor: Gvim
    HTML: Bluefish
    Firewall rulesets: FwBuilder
    Db: Postgress with Pgadmin3
    Labels: Glabels
    Accounts: Sql-Ledger, but moving to WebERP

    What non Linux apps or os do I use ?
    Answer: zero (0)
    Why ?: If you have to ask, then you have never *really* used Linux.

    Cheers for now
    Terry

  2. Re: Terry is back

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see
    > if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the
    > beating they are taking these days, in every area.

    Wow, talk about a blast from the past.
    Welcome back!

  3. Re: Terry is back

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark K!
    >
    > I've been forged many times over the years, when in fact my last post to
    > Cola was probably pre 2001.
    >
    > Contrary to the usual silly "I've gone back to Windows" fake posts in my
    > name, Linux is still my *only* OS, and I use it for everything as always.

    G'day!

    --
    You get along very well with everyone except animals and people.

  4. Re: Terry is back

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see
    > if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the
    > beating they are taking these days, in every area.

    Hey!

    Yeah, the Win trolls are as stupid and dishonest as ever...

  5. Re: Terry is back

    chrisv wrote:
    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see
    >> if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the
    >> beating they are taking these days, in every area.

    > Hey!
    >
    > Yeah, the Win trolls are as stupid and dishonest as ever...

    Nahhhh...
    They're much worse.

  6. Re: Terry is back

    [snips]

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:40:07 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > I've been flat out the last 5 years with my own WiFi business, doing
    > technical support, network designs and supplying Access Points, so I
    > won't be posting here often, certainly not like I once used to, with up
    > to 300 replies a day.
    >
    > I can almost hear Kelsey B breath a sigh of relief. Never fear Kelsey,
    > I'm older and a bit wiser now ;-)

    So you're saying you are _not_ in fact still a Windows-loving, Linux-
    loathing, "I'll pretend to like Linux except I don't" bot?

    Time will tell.

    > In 1997 it was clear that Linux was an unstoppable force

    Actually, it's never been an unstoppable force; merely a product which is
    popular and comparatively immune to the dictates of Redmond.

    > Now for some uptimes :-
    > This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime
    > 23:55:13 up 56 days, 7:02, 31 users, load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09
    > Server: root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime
    > 22:53:12 up 44 days, 5:43, 6 users, load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13

    44 and 56 days are pretty pathetic.

    box1: up 144 days, 37 min (pop/imap/webmail)
    box2: up 323 days, 22:30 (smtp/spam)
    box3: up 221 days, 15:05 (smtp/spam)
    box4: up 134 days, 16:24 (router)

  7. Re: Terry is back

  8. Re: Terry is back

    Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:

    > Hi All,

    Crikey!

    We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian reasons.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    19:12:34 up 4 days, 4:08, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.13

  9. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:12:59 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >
    >> Hi All,

    > Crikey!
    >
    > We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian reasons.

    Nah, let's get the popcorn & beer instead! ;-)

    --
    "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't
    be posting anything right now."
    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  10. Re: Terry is back

    William Poaster writes:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:12:59 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,

    >> Crikey!
    >>
    >> We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian reasons.

    > Nah, let's get the popcorn & beer instead! ;-)

    Before or after you remove your fake "Debian 5.0" OS header Willy?

    --
    "What's wrong, (p)Rick? Were you defending the innocence of Hans "The
    Linux Butcher" Reiser, and now that he's about to give up the body

  11. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:50:30 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and
    >> see if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be,
    >> considering the beating they are taking these days, in every area.

    > Wow, talk about a blast from the past. Welcome back!

    Thanks Andrew

  12. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:09:36 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark
    >> K!

    > G'day!

    Hi Chris, good to see you still here!

  13. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:27:28 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and
    >> see if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be,
    >> considering the beating they are taking these days, in every area.

    > Hey!
    >
    > Yeah, the Win trolls are as stupid and dishonest as ever...

    G'day Chrisv

    We have had some Windows advocates who were well respected on COLA from
    time to time, sadly they didn't last long, because being intelligent and
    inquisitive, naturally in the end, they all became Linux/Unix users.

    I suspect that many of the Wintrolls are just kids waiting to grow up,
    paid shills of the MS variety, or just total nut jobs, maybe even lonely
    people like the Flatfish of old, with nothing better to do.

    The ODF/OOXML saga really showed most of us just how far and low the
    Monopoly is prepared to go to undermine everything they see as a threat.

    The 'hearts and minds' of potential users being swayed towards Linux on
    COLA would definitely merit funding and paid Wintrolls in my opinion.

    Then there is the genuine Windows patriot, he or she had a big investment
    in Windows, and sees posting here as necessary to try and stem the tide
    of customers dumping MS Windows and heading to Linux.
    For a long time I saw Funkenbusch as a possible member of this group.

    In the end, we don't really know for sure, and it's hard to sort out the
    fakes from the real posters. I see a few here think I'm the fake Terry
    Porter including Kelsey B, (who I once thought was a Wintroll, but later
    changed my mind, and apologised) and that's cool, it's the posters long
    term content that shows who they are.

    Cheers
    Terry

  14. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:10:07 +0200, Clogwog wrote:

    > "Terry Porter" schreef in bericht
    > news:Z5OdnaC_u6mqPGnVnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> After several years away from COLA,

    > Hi George!
    > Known HPT nyms: High Plains Thumper, HPT, Rafael, George Hostler, Wendy
    > Toiletwater, Roberto Chavez, Robin T Cox, *Terry* *Porter* > goes on and on>

    Hi Clogwog, I see you're labeled as a Wintroll these days ?

    It's a good technique, claiming I'm a fake, but you lack the details for
    reasonable proof of your claim.

    Actually, I first wrote the Python app that searched all the headers of
    posts to Cola and looking for matching domain names etc. I then included
    the list on my weekly Cola posters stats before Mark Kent took it over
    after I stopped posting.

    You need to compare headers, because my name alone is not enough to show
    I'm a fake (or the original) Terry Porter. I know who I am (the real and
    original Terry Porter), but of course no one else can be sure as yet.

    Then you have to actually *read* the content of the post, is the poster
    advocating Linux or not ?

    I posted around 300 posts a day from 1997 for around three years, and I
    came along just after the great Alexander Viro left COLA. I soon drew the
    attention and ire of many Wintrolls who forged me while I was an active
    poster and continued years after I had stopped posting.

    In fact it was the Cola stats for July of this year, that I stumbled
    across recently, listing me as a poster, that initiated my comeback.

    Note to Wintrolls: there is a downside to forging the names of long
    absent Linux advocates

  15. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:12:59 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >
    >> Hi All,

    > Crikey!
    >
    > We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian reasons.

    Hahahah, Hi Homer

    I'm not the Troll eater I used to be, time and age have taken their toll.

    I'm 54 years old now and only eat the odd live Windows advocate for
    breakfast, as I'm finding they lack nutrition.

    Wintrolls are stale like bread made in October 2001, and their diet of XP
    isn't doing them any good, it's just too damn OLD!

    Most Wintrolls find the new Windows sustenance called Vista just doesn't
    agree with them for some reason.

    There is only one modern, Free, up-to-date, and outstanding OS around,
    it's called Gnu/Linux, and of course every real Linux advocate here knows
    it

    Cheers
    Terry

  16. Re: Terry is back

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Terry Porter

    wrote
    on Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:58:36 -0500
    :
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:12:59 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,

    >> Crikey!
    >>
    >> We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian reasons.

    > Hahahah, Hi Homer
    >
    > I'm not the Troll eater I used to be, time and age have taken their toll.
    >
    > I'm 54 years old now and only eat the odd live Windows advocate for
    > breakfast, as I'm finding they lack nutrition.
    >
    > Wintrolls are stale like bread made in October 2001, and their diet of XP
    > isn't doing them any good, it's just too damn OLD!
    >
    > Most Wintrolls find the new Windows sustenance called Vista just doesn't
    > agree with them for some reason.
    >
    > There is only one modern, Free, up-to-date, and outstanding OS around,
    > it's called Gnu/Linux, and of course every real Linux advocate here knows
    > it
    >

    > Cheers
    > Terry

    Well, FWIW, not much has changed, although I don't remember
    if you left before Roy decided to start his news service.

    I also have bad news....and I wish I knew precisely what
    version of Apache is affected. Seems that a site named
    zone-h.org is tracking successful hacks of websites,
    and Apache is at the top of the heap -- a dubious honor,
    at best.

    http://httpd.apache.org/security_report.html

    shows a critical Chunked encoding vulnerability
    in 1.3.25 (fixed in 1.3.26) but little else, unless
    web servers are using Win32 (there's a Win32 Apache
    Remote command execution capability fixed in 1.3.24).

    Color me extremely curious and rather worried, but
    it appears that IIS is now *more* secure than Apache,
    at least from the standpoint of successful hacks.

    zone-h.org is now back up and shows 69.55% successful hacks
    of Linux as of last week, with 21.00% Win2003, and
    5.04% Win2000. One of the bigger hacks was of
    phoeniz.lpl.arizona.edu, the Martian lander, apparently.
    It is running Apache 2.2.8.

    One has to wonder what hole allowed the intruders in;
    the Apache website above only suggests cross-scripting
    vulnerabilities, and I don't know if that'll do it or not.
    (I'm not much of a hacker/cracker type.)

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1235

    suggests they used remote SQL injection. (Fortunately,
    this particular attack was limited to defacement/redirction
    of the page; no malware was sent -- but what about next
    time?)

    Of course, there's still the question of *desktop* security;
    Linux still wins there -- thank goodness for small favors.

    All in all, welcome back to the fray... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  17. Re: Terry is back

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I also have bad news....and I wish I knew precisely what
    > version of Apache is affected. Seems that a site named
    > zone-h.org is tracking successful hacks of websites,
    > and Apache is at the top of the heap -- a dubious honor,
    > at best.
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/security_report.html
    >
    > shows a critical Chunked encoding vulnerability
    > in 1.3.25 (fixed in 1.3.26) but little else, unless
    > web servers are using Win32 (there's a Win32 Apache
    > Remote command execution capability fixed in 1.3.24).
    >
    > Color me extremely curious and rather worried, but
    > it appears that IIS is now *more* secure than Apache,
    > at least from the standpoint of successful hacks.
    >
    > zone-h.org is now back up and shows 69.55% successful hacks
    > of Linux as of last week, with 21.00% Win2003, and
    > 5.04% Win2000.

    Are those numbers corrected for the percentage of servers
    using Apache versus and IIS?

    Anyway, you're a bit late on this news, Erik's posted that
    sites news months and months ago.

    http://www.zone-h.org/content/view/76/86/

    DISCLAIMER: all the information contained in Zone-H's cybercrime
    archive were either collected online from public sources or directly
    notified anonimously to us.

    You can get your name in lights here:

    http://www.zone-h.org/component/opti...cks/Itemid,44/

    --
    Anti-Sabbatical:
    A job taken with the sole intention of staying only for a

  18. Re: Terry is back

    Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:

    > In fact it was the Cola stats for July of this year, that I stumbled
    > across recently, listing me as a poster, that initiated my comeback.

    You must mean the Troll's stats, as posted by the Dizum dimwit:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....2?dmode=source

    Unlike the real stats:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....10d41cd9d15d07

    > Note to Wintrolls: there is a downside to forging the names of long
    > absent Linux advocates

    Your radar must be even more highly tuned than J├Ârg Schilling's

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:16:01 up 4 days, 11:11, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

  19. Re: Terry is back

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Terry Porter wrote
    >
    >> Most Wintrolls find the new Windows sustenance called Vista
    >> just doesn't agree with them for some reason.
    >>
    >> There is only one modern, Free, up-to-date, and outstanding
    >> OS around, it's called Gnu/Linux, and of course every real
    >> Linux advocate here knows it

    > Well, FWIW, not much has changed, although I don't remember if
    > you left before Roy decided to start his news service.
    >
    > I also have bad news....and I wish I knew precisely what
    > version of Apache is affected. Seems that a site named
    > zone-h.org is tracking successful hacks of websites, and
    > Apache is at the top of the heap -- a dubious honor, at best.
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/security_report.html
    >
    > shows a critical Chunked encoding vulnerability in 1.3.25
    > (fixed in 1.3.26) but little else, unless web servers are
    > using Win32 (there's a Win32 Apache Remote command execution
    > capability fixed in 1.3.24).
    >
    > Color me extremely curious and rather worried, but it appears
    > that IIS is now *more* secure than Apache, at least from the
    > standpoint of successful hacks.

    Um, I don't know what exactly to make of this zone-h.org service,
    which appears to be based in Switzerland. One thing I noticed is
    that many of the Linux sites shown as being hacked are from other
    countries and sites I have never heard of.

    Looking to the positive, then I surmise Linux servers are much,
    much more prevalent overseas than the Wintrolls would like to admit.

    One entity for hacking that seems to be a prized possession by
    hackers is Microsoft:

    http://www.zone-h.org/content/view/14980/1/

    Full list of defacements :

    [For readability, list rearranged according to date, date/time
    truncated to month/year, hacker name truncated to 10 characters]

    07/08 Agd_Scorp http://partner.microsoft.co.kr/pds/new_pds_list.asp
    07/08 Agd_Scorp http://www.microsoft.com.al
    07/08 Agd_Scorp http://www.microsoft.com.mk/Licenciranje
    12/07 SPY-CX5 http://www.microsoft.com.tr
    10/07 mdx http://web03.microsoft.se/portfolio/
    06/07 rEmOtEr
    http://www.microsoft.co.uk/events/ne...x?eventid=8399
    04/07 Cyber-Terr http://ieak.microsoft.com/1.0/NewLicensee.asp
    03/07 blackwolf
    http://register.microsoft.co.kr/msdn..._View_List.asp
    06/06 TiTHacK http://experts.microsoft.fr/default.aspx
    04/06 Simiens http://blogs.microsoft.co.il
    08/05 G.B.R TEAM http://partner.microsoft.co.kr/map/gbr.asp
    08/05 Apocalypse http://ftp.microsoft.pa.no/index.htm
    07/05 Apocalypse http://www.microsoft.co.uk/Apocalypse.gif
    05/05 Unknown Co http://www.microsoft.com.mx/cgi-bin
    05/04 OutLaw http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/uk
    05/04 iskorpitx http://www.microsoft.com.mx/cgi-bin
    03/04 r00t_syste http://member.microsoft.co.kr
    03/04 c0d3rz http://register.microsoft.co.kr/index.htm
    11/03 Affix http://www.microsoft.pl
    11/03 Affix http://www.microsoft.com.pl
    12/02 Crime Perf http://www.microsoft.co.yu/crimeperfect.html
    03/02 Silver Lor http://cust-supp-chat.one.microsoft.com
    03/02 Silver Lor http://cust-supp-chat.one.microsoft.com
    03/02 Perfect.Br http://officecouncil.rte.microsoft.com
    03/02 Perfect.br http://officecouncil.rte.microsoft.com
    03/02 Silver Lor http://officecouncil.rte.microsoft.com/fp
    03/02 Silver Lor http://olab2.research.microsoft.com
    07/01 m0sad http://www.microsoft.com.sa
    06/01 Prime Susp http://arulk.rte.microsoft.com
    06/01 Prime Susp http://redsand.rte.microsoft.com
    06/01 BlackSun http://www.interface.microsoft.co.za
    05/01 pentaguard http://www.microsoft.ro
    05/01 cr1m3 0rg4 http://www.microsoft.nsk.ru
    05/01 Prime Susp http://pc.microsoft.is
    05/01 Prime Susp http://streamer.microsoft.com
    05/01 Prime Susp http://www.microsoft.com.sa
    05/01 Prime Susp http://www.microsoft.com.mx
    05/01 Prime Susp http://www.microsoft.co.uk
    04/01 WoH http://www.microsoft.com.gr
    04/01 Prime Susp http://www.microsoft.com.gr
    04/01 BLACK-FUUU http://www.microsoft.be
    01/01 Prime Susp http://www.microsoft.co.nz
    12/00 BoLoDoRiO http://www.microsoft.si
    12/00 Furia.BR http://www.microsoft.si
    06/00 InSaNiTy Z http://www.microsoft.com.br
    01/00 inferno.br http://www.microsoft.com.tw

    Total: 46

    > zone-h.org is now back up and shows 69.55% successful hacks of
    > Linux as of last week, with 21.00% Win2003, and 5.04% Win2000.
    > One of the bigger hacks was of phoeniz.lpl.arizona.edu, the
    > Martian lander, apparently. It is running Apache 2.2.8.
    >
    > One has to wonder what hole allowed the intruders in; the
    > Apache website above only suggests cross-scripting
    > vulnerabilities, and I don't know if that'll do it or not.
    > (I'm not much of a hacker/cracker type.)
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1235
    >
    > suggests they used remote SQL injection. (Fortunately, this
    > particular attack was limited to defacement/redirction of the
    > page; no malware was sent -- but what about next time?)
    >
    > Of course, there's still the question of *desktop* security;
    > Linux still wins there -- thank goodness for small favors.
    >
    > All in all, welcome back to the fray... ;-)

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  20. Re: Terry is back

    Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:

    > The ODF/OOXML saga really showed most of us just how far and low the
    > Monopoly is prepared to go to undermine everything they see as a
    > threat.

    Yes, it was a spectacularly obvious attack, on the very eve of OOXML's
    most crucial vote, suddenly the Vole's pet monkeys de Icaza and Jesper
    Lund Stocholm appeared:

    http://boycottnovell.com/2008/06/22/odf-ooxml-synopsis/

    Oh, but you're probably referring to the wider issue of their campaign
    of bribery[1]; threats[2]; blackmail[3][4] and vicious smears[5][6].

    [1]
    [2]
    [3]
    [4]
    [5]
    [6]

    And the Trolls have the gall to condemn me for denouncing Microsoft as
    gangsters. Clearly most of their senior management should be in prison
    (along with the Shills; Trolls and fanboys who support their crimes).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:47:41 up 4 days, 11:43, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.02

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast