Terry is back - Linux

This is a discussion on Terry is back - Linux ; On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:16:21 -0500, Terry Porter wrote: > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:19:35 +0100, William Poaster wrote: > > >> Hello, Terry. Glad to make your acquaintance. I think I joined the group >> just after ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 90 of 90

Thread: Terry is back

  1. Re: Terry is back

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:16:21 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:19:35 +0100, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Hello, Terry. Glad to make your acquaintance. I think I joined the group
    >> just after you'd left, though I've heard about you. Welcome back!
    >>

    >
    > Thanks William, that would mean you joined around 2001 ?


    A bit later than that, IIRC.

    > Pleased to make your acquaintance also.


    :-)

    --
    Did you know?
    Hadron Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
    He thought he was God, but she didn't.


  2. Re: Terry is back

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> I just love it. It's big and heavy, has a ton of storage, and sits on
    >> 130Km/h all day long. It's just loafing along at that speed.

    >
    > The CX likes to sit at 130km/h as well, though it doesn't like to go
    > above 150km/h, the front end starts to get very light and it starts to
    > wander....


    Hmm, my GT550 tends to wander,if you can call it that once I hit around 90.
    (mph. We don't do kph here). Sort of a wobble as if the fairing's magnifying
    some turbulance or something. Not a pleasant feeling and a message to ease
    off a little.

    Though due to speedo inacuracies, it's probably closer to 80-85.


    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
    | in | suck is probably the day they start making |
    | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge |

  3. Re: Terry is back

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >Most overhyped piles of junk on the planet. You think microsoft vista got a
    >lot of hype. That's nothing compared to harleys.
    >
    >What's special about them? They're unreliable, noisy, not particularely fuel
    >efficient. Ah... I know... They look pretty. That has to be it.
    >Eye candy.


    Well, I wouldn't call them "unreliable" or "junk"... They fill the
    market niche that they have defined very nicely. What I don't
    understand are fsckwits who think that "it's the only brand worth
    considering" or whatever. Obviously, HD's designs are very limited in
    scope and intent, and *most* motorcycling tasks are better-served by
    the more-varied and better-performing offerings of the Japanese and
    German competition.


  4. Re: Terry is back

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 17 October 2008 14:28 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:46:11 +0200, Clogwog wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997
    >>>>
    >>> I pity you!, get eXPee!

    >>
    >> You really have no idea what's going on do you

    >
    > XP is a crashing bore.


    Microsoft is crashing today. Down 3.5% at the beginning of the trading day,
    despite the fact that Wall Street as a whole is up and in spite of Microsoft's
    massive buybacks.

    Geez, maybe they heard Ballmer calling "7" just another Vista. Blech.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Mem: 2075800k total, 1660792k used, 415008k free, 12460k buffers
    http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkj8o2kACgkQU4xAY3RXLo6MtACeLn+H3KQk3g jx3w+ogTcbMEVF
    uzYAn26u9e+7a3ZVwvdUTCp8Df7xFi9G
    =6NKH
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. Re: Terry is back

    chrisv wrote:

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >>Most overhyped piles of junk on the planet. You think microsoft vista got
    >>a lot of hype. That's nothing compared to harleys.
    >>
    >>What's special about them? They're unreliable, noisy, not particularely
    >>fuel efficient. Ah... I know... They look pretty. That has to be it.
    >>Eye candy.

    >
    > Well, I wouldn't call them "unreliable" or "junk"... They fill the
    > market niche that they have defined very nicely. What I don't
    > understand are fsckwits who think that "it's the only brand worth
    > considering" or whatever.


    Well, it is nice riding them. It is different from most other motorcycles.

    > Obviously, HD's designs are very limited in
    > scope and intent, and *most* motorcycling tasks are better-served by
    > the more-varied and better-performing offerings of the Japanese and
    > German competition.


    Well, german motorcycles are basically BMWs now, except for some small types
    from other producers.
    The "M√ľnch Mammouth" isn't produced anymore, except for some handbuild few
    from existing parts

    So, big german motorcycles is BMW only
    --
    The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and
    stupidity


  6. Re: Terry is back

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 17 October 2008 14:28 : \____
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:46:11 +0200, Clogwog wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997
    >>>>>
    >>>> I pity you!, get eXPee!
    >>>
    >>> You really have no idea what's going on do you

    >>
    >> XP is a crashing bore.

    >
    > Microsoft is crashing today. Down 3.5% at the beginning of the trading day,
    > despite the fact that Wall Street as a whole is up and in spite of Microsoft's
    > massive buybacks.
    >
    > Geez, maybe they heard Ballmer calling "7" just another Vista. Blech.


    Most people call 7 a raving nutter.

    > http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms


    *Chuckle*


    --
    "Every piece of evidence I've heard from developers inside Microsoft
    supports my theory that the company has become completely tangled up in..."
    -- William Poaster boring people again in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  7. Re: Terry is back

    [snips]

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:58:00 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > I'm sure that'll be the response from the trolls, but openwrt _is_
    > linux, albeit Linux 2.4.x, and it works well.


    One might point out here that 2.4.x works more than well enough to handle
    quite an array of tasks and (if one avoids backports) doesn't include the
    newer (hence _potentially_ more buggy) 2.6 features which may simply not
    be required for the job.


  8. Re: Terry is back

    On 2008-10-26, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:58:00 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure that'll be the response from the trolls, but openwrt _is_
    >> linux, albeit Linux 2.4.x, and it works well.

    >
    > One might point out here that 2.4.x works more than well enough to handle
    > quite an array of tasks and (if one avoids backports) doesn't include the
    > newer (hence _potentially_ more buggy) 2.6 features which may simply not
    > be required for the job.


    The main problem with the WRT54GL is the proprietary nature of the
    Broadcom BCM43xx wifi driver. The only driver written for the wifi
    hardware is for the 2.4 kernel.

    There needs to be development of a 2.6 opensource driver for the
    Broadcom BCM43xx chipset, but It'll have to be reverse-engineered and
    possibly transgressing patents.

    I've run into one hurdle between the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels (for the Mips -
    broadcom little endian hardware) and that is there's no connection
    tracking support for ipv6 networking. This makes firewalling clumsy for
    ipv6 connections because you can't put a SYN into a kernel tracking
    table so that an external packet sending an ACK can't be determined to
    be responding to a SYN_ACK from a server behind the firewall.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  9. Re: Terry is back

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:17:24 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-10-26, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:58:00 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm sure that'll be the response from the trolls, but openwrt _is_
    >>> linux, albeit Linux 2.4.x, and it works well.

    >>
    >> One might point out here that 2.4.x works more than well enough to
    >> handle quite an array of tasks and (if one avoids backports) doesn't
    >> include the newer (hence _potentially_ more buggy) 2.6 features which
    >> may simply not be required for the job.


    Kelsey is right, the main product I sell, an embedded Linux wifi AP
    has always run Kernel 2.4.18 and it's very reliable with year long
    uptimes common.

    >
    > The main problem with the WRT54GL is the proprietary nature of the
    > Broadcom BCM43xx wifi driver. The only driver written for the wifi
    > hardware is for the 2.4 kernel.
    >
    > There needs to be development of a 2.6 opensource driver for the
    > Broadcom BCM43xx chipset, but It'll have to be reverse-engineered and
    > possibly transgressing patents.


    I tried Xcompiling OpenWRT for the Broadcom BCM43xx the other day with a
    2.6 kernel, still no go.

    It's fine on the Asus 500 Delux with the Atheros chipset I hear.






    --
    Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997

  10. Re: Terry is back

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:26:36 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:17:24 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-26, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>> [snips]
    >>>
    >>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:58:00 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I'm sure that'll be the response from the trolls, but openwrt _is_
    >>>> linux, albeit Linux 2.4.x, and it works well.
    >>>
    >>> One might point out here that 2.4.x works more than well enough to
    >>> handle quite an array of tasks and (if one avoids backports) doesn't
    >>> include the newer (hence _potentially_ more buggy) 2.6 features which
    >>> may simply not be required for the job.

    >
    > Kelsey is right, the main product I sell, an embedded Linux wifi AP
    > has always run Kernel 2.4.18 and it's very reliable with year long
    > uptimes common.


    Patronizing noted.

    The thought of you, Terry Porter, doing anything related to networking
    scares the hell out of me.

    How's telnet these days?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5