Terry is back - Linux

This is a discussion on Terry is back - Linux ; Terry Porter wrote: > > Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark K! > > I've been forged many times over the years, when in fact my last post to > Cola ...

  1. Re: Terry is back

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark K!
    >
    > I've been forged many times over the years, when in fact my last post to
    > Cola was probably pre 2001.

    Try again, Hanky Bwoy.

    Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004

  2. Re: Terry is back

    Terry Porter espoused:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:46:11 +0200, Clogwog wrote:
    >
    > ,snip>
    >>> Hi Clogwog, I see you're labeled as a Wintroll these days ?
    >>>

    >>> It's a good technique, claiming I'm a fake, but you lack the details
    >>> for reasonable proof of your claim.
    >>>
    >>> Actually, I first wrote the Python app that searched all the headers of
    >>> posts to Cola and looking for matching domain names etc. I then
    >>> included the list on my weekly Cola posters stats before Mark Kent took
    >>> it over

    >> Oh, dear! *the* "Mark Kent"?
    >> Mark Kent, Linux advocate by night and Microsoft partner by day. "At BT
    >> Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our customers.
    >> With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services, allowing
    >> us to evolve the services as and when required." Mark Kent
    >> Head of Technology Strategy
    >> http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products Mark Kent's partner
    >> Microsoft:
    >> http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=ourpartners
    >> http://www.jnetx.com/fileadmin/image...ll/logo005.jpg
    >> Mark Kent's jNetX N(X) - Convergent Network Services for Microsoft CSF
    >> https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com/SDK/Solutions/

    > SolutionDetailsView.aspx?solutionid=9bf1884cf9354b beb110ba73b82dbdb4
    >> Download Mark Kent's Microsoft demo:
    >> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b1a-0b15-4fe9-

    > be7b-275fb83964d4/Jnetx_Sandbox_Demo.pptx
    >>

    > Snore ....
    > Mark Kent is a real Linux advocate in my books, and he is worthy of my
    > respect.
    >
    > Sadly, you're neither of the above.

    <-- a reposting of JAIN SLEE information -->

    For the record, I have no connection with Microsoft, as no doubt
    everyone is aware. Read on for JAIN SLEE:

    JAIN SLEE offers enormous advantages to anyone planning to run a
    telecoms network over more traditional NEP supplied equipment. The
    traditional NEP business model was very similar to that of other
    proprietary software and hardware vendors, like Microsoft and Cisco and
    others, which centered on supplying vertically integrated devices, from
    hardware to east, west, north & southbound interfaces, and then ideally
    using "extended" protocols on the north, south, east and westbound
    interfaces in order to further lock-in to other devices.

    This approach, securing the interfaces when based on standards
    protocols, has been tagged "embrace and extend" by Microsoft, but there
    are plenty of other companies which do the same thing. A quick peek at
    Q.9xx would suggest that signalling in C7 land should be simple, but in
    reality each major NEP had their own variation of C7/Q.9xx INAP, just as
    manufacturers all have their own variation of SIP, so that eg., Cisco
    SIP is not very compatible with Siemens SIP, and so on.

    The upshot of all this is that, for example, if you buy a Switch from a
    particular vendor, let's call them EricsAlcatelMens, or EAS for short,
    so that we don't pick on any particular vendor, as and when we want to
    offer a particular kind of voice application, let's say it's a voice
    VPN, or an IVR system (press 1 for this, 2 for that, and so on), then we
    have to go to EAS for our SCP, *because* the only company which supports
    the particular /variant/ of INAP used by the EAS switch, is, guess who?
    EAS for the SCP.

    The result? you're completely locked to that particular vendor, you
    *have* to buy their SCP because it's the only one which will work for
    you because you have an EAS switch. The upshot? Well, the only
    platform on which applications can be developed is, wait for it...
    proprietary to EAS, so any applications use EAS proprietary functions,
    which means that, well, guess who owns the applications? You, the
    customer? Nah, don't be daft! They're owned by the vendor. You only
    get to rent them.

    The solution to the problem of owning your own applications, here, is
    JAIN SLEE. Why? Because even the /proprietary/ versions of JAIN SLEE
    (mobicents is an open-source version) have Resource Adaptors, RAs, which
    are customisable by anyone, including the customer. Their function is
    protocol adaption, and their impact is to ensure that at least one-end
    of a given protocol is on an open platform, so that no amount of
    "embrace and extend" can stop you, the customer, from owning your own
    applications rather than renting them from the vendor.

    It's very very important to be aware that the new generation of
    SIP-based vendors have not, in any way, solved this issue, if anything,
    it's worse than it ever was, because SIP is far less well specified than
    INAP, rather than more so. JAIN SLEE is your friend here, because it
    *also* supports SIP as well as C7/INAP, so applications which you
    develop will not only be compatible with any SSP (switch) you purchase
    from any vendor, they will also be compatible with any SIP-based session
    controller, too.

    Furthermore, by the careful definition of SDKs, it's possible to give
    access to network control capabilities from the JAIN SLEE to third
    parties from eg., internet-based access points. So, not only will you
    own your own applications, unlike in the traditional NEP world where you
    rented them from the vendor, you also have the opportunity to make
    access to *your* applications available to others, too.

    So, as I say in my .sig, "Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own
    your own services!

  3. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:40:07 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see
    > if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the
    > beating they are taking these days, in every area.
    >
    > Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark K!

    Hello, Terry. Glad to make your acquaintance. I think I joined the group
    just after you'd left, though I've heard about you. Welcome back!

    --
    Did you know?
    Hadron Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  4. Re: Terry is back

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:34:14 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:20:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> ____/ Terry Porter on Tuesday 14 October 2008 13:40 : \____
    >>
    >>> Now for some uptimes :-
    >>> This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime 23:55:13 up 56 days, *7:02, 31
    >>> users, *load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09 Server:
    >>> root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime 22:53:12 up 44 days, *5:43, *6
    >>> users, *load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13

    > Hi Roy, nice to meet you. I hear you're doing a great job kicking
    > Wintroll arse these days
    >
    >> The DFS Munchkins would refuse to believe.

    > Yeah, they *say* they don't believe the long uptimes Linux so easily
    > achieves, but who is stupid enough to take what they say on face value ?
    >
    > Not me, that's for sure.
    >
    > gronk1 mnt # uptime
    > 14:32:46 up 58 days, 21:39, 29 users, load average: 2.24, 2.15, 2.10
    >>
    >>> What non Linux apps or os do I use ?
    >>> Answer: zero (0)
    >>> Why ?: If you have to ask, then you have never really used Linux.

    >> Well, he /read/ Ubuntu Forums.

    > Wintrolls can READ now ?????

    Some, like Hadron (called Quack because he used to be Hadron Quark, but as
    he's a fraud "Linux advocate" I thought "Quack" more appropriate. ;-) )
    seem to have difficulty comprehending what they read. They'll twist things
    to suit their "points" too.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  5. Re: Terry is back

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:44:23 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've read some of your earlier posts. I
    >>> became interested in COLA around 2004, after you discontinued posting.
    >>> Similar to your motorcycle experiences, currently I ride a 1987 Suzuki
    >>> Savage.

    >> 650cc single ?
    >>
    >>> Also have a 1971 Honda CB100 in the stable.

    >> Vintage!
    >>
    >> I still have my two bikes, a 1994 Honda 900CBRR Fireblade and a 1994
    >> Honda 1100cc V4 "ST1100", tho in the USA it's called a "Pan European".

    >I've got an old 1981 Honda CX500. It took my lovely wife and I from
    >Newcastle NSW to the Sunshine Coast QLD and back. Never missed a beat.

    I ride an '06 Suzuki SV650 V-twin.

  6. Re: Terry is back

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:32:01 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> You seem to have missed the whole period when my stream name was (until
    >> recently) Linonut.

    > "Linonut", now *there* is a term of endearment!

    Actually, you can credit flatfish for it.

    But it's run its course.

    > --
    > Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997

    I'm about 90% Linux now (10% Windows is needed at work). It's fun
    figuring out ways to avoid using Windows.

    --
    Why be difficult when, with a bit of effort, you could be impossible?

  7. Re: Terry is back

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >> gronk1 mnt # uptime
    >> 14:32:46 up 58 days, 21:39, 29 users, load average: 2.24, 2.15, 2.10

    Cool.

    > Here's my lovely linksys WRT54GL router running openwrt:
    >
    > 16:26:51 up 140 days, 22:05, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    >
    > Load average goes up dramatically when I've got a few wifi connections
    > running openvpn. The little WRT54GL is my openvpn server.

    Hey, you can't count that as Linux usage. That ain't fair!

    Here's my 64-bit desktop/server combo, light usage stats even when I'm
    using it:

    $ uptime
    10:18:31 up 184 days, 16:27, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08

    Can't hold a candle to Terry's 29 users.

    --
    As many of you know, I am taking a class here at UNC on Personality.
    One of the tests to determine personality in our book was so incredibly

  8. Re: Terry is back

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:46:11 +0200, Clogwog wrote:
    >
    >>> Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997
    >>>

    >> I pity you!, get eXPee!

    > You really have no idea what's going on do you

    XP is a crashing bore.

    --
    Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance.

  9. Re: Terry is back

    chrisv wrote:
    >>I've got an old 1981 Honda CX500. It took my lovely wife and I from
    >>Newcastle NSW to the Sunshine Coast QLD and back. Never missed a beat.

    > I ride an '06 Suzuki SV650 V-twin.

    Heheh, thought this was a linux group, not a biker's.
    I ride a Kawasaki GT550.

  10. Re: Terry is back

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Your radar must be even more highly tuned than Jörg Schilling's

    >> Does he post here on Cola ?
    >>
    >> I've never met Jörg, or read anything by him, but his CDrecord
    >> application is much appreciated by myself.

    > He is a weird bloke and very prickly. He often turns up in
    > linux.gentoo.user whenever there's a discussion of cdrecord.

    He often turns up in many linux newsgroups whenever there's a discussion on
    cd burning... usually to slag off the opposition.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  11. Re: Terry is back

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:38:37 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >>> Does he post here on Cola ?
    >>>
    >>> I've never met Jörg, or read anything by him, but his CDrecord
    >>> application is much appreciated by myself.

    >> He is a weird bloke and very prickly. He often turns up in
    >> linux.gentoo.user whenever there's a discussion of cdrecord.
    >>

    > He often turns up in many linux newsgroups whenever there's a discussion on
    > cd burning... usually to slag off the opposition.

    It's sad how you Linux kooks, who haven;t done a thing to help Linux, slag
    Jorge all the time.
    He happens to have contributed to Linux one of it's flagship applications.

    So what have you, and Schestowitz, and Kent and Homer and the others done
    for Linux except to make real Linux advocates like Jorge look foolish by
    association?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  12. Re: Terry is back

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:38:37 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >>> Does he post here on Cola ?
    >>>
    >>> I've never met Jörg, or read anything by him, but his CDrecord
    >>> application is much appreciated by myself.

    >> He is a weird bloke and very prickly. He often turns up in
    >> linux.gentoo.user whenever there's a discussion of cdrecord.
    >>

    > He often turns up in many linux newsgroups whenever there's a discussion on
    > cd burning... usually to slag off the opposition.

    Yes, I've noticed that. He gets quite hot under the collar.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hadron Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
    He thought he was God, but she didn't.

  13. Re: Terry is back

    So? What do his contributions have to do with his ****ty attitude?

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  14. Re: Terry is back

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> It's sad how you Linux kooks, who haven;t done a thing to help Linux,
    >> slag Jorge all the time.
    >> He happens to have contributed to Linux one of it's flagship
    >> applications.

    > So? What do his contributions have to do with his ****ty attitude?

    Nothing, exactly.

    Jörg Schilling is somewhat miffed that his pay-for-features scheme for
    cdrecord did not work.
    So he is constantly claiming that the forks "don't work" correctly.
    Which, since it is diametral to the experience of lots of users of those
    forks, gives him a somewhat dubious stance
    --
    I doubt, therefore I might be.

  15. Re: Terry is back

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:22:15 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> It's sad how you Linux kooks, who haven;t done a thing to help Linux, slag
    >> Jorge all the time.
    >> He happens to have contributed to Linux one of it's flagship applications.

    > So? What do his contributions have to do with his ****ty attitude?

    Joerg Schilling has been perceived by some to publish anti-Linux blogs, in
    favor of Solaris. He now works for OpenSolaris, I believe.

    In one exchange I saw, there was a security hole in the CD burner support.
    The Linux Kernel developers fixed this *very* quickly.
    IIRC Joerg got a wee bit pissed off about this, & a reply to him said that
    "They (the Linux kernel developers) were not planning to wait 6 months for
    you to get an updated version of cdrecord out the door."

    --
    Did you know?
    Hadron Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
    He thought he was God, but she didn't.

  16. Re: Terry is back

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:22:15 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> It's sad how you Linux kooks, who haven;t done a thing to help Linux, slag
    >> Jorge all the time.
    >> He happens to have contributed to Linux one of it's flagship applications.

    > So? What do his contributions have to do with his ****ty attitude?

    I could care less if he hung a banner from the George Washington Bridge
    proclaiming something or other that I did not agree with, it's just the way
    you Linux loons eat your own young.

    Everything has to be your way or the highway.

    A bunch of radical nuts the lot of you are.

    And it's getting worse.

    So tell me, exactly what have you, Schestowitz, Kent, [Homer], and most of
    the rest of you ever done for Linux that gives you the right to slag Jorge?

    At least he has done something.

    Most of you are Windows programmers by day and Linux radicals by night.
    IOW hypocrites.

    --

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  17. Re: Terry is back

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:22:15 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> It's sad how you Linux kooks, who haven;t done a thing to help Linux, slag
    >>> Jorge all the time.
    >>> He happens to have contributed to Linux one of it's flagship applications.

    >> So? What do his contributions have to do with his ****ty attitude?

    > I could care less if he hung a banner from the George Washington Bridge
    > proclaiming something or other that I did not agree with, it's just the way
    > you Linux loons eat your own young.

    Ahhh, right, I keep forgetting...
    Everything anyone ever does to contribute to linux/open source makes them
    immune in perpetuity from any form of criticism from anyone who uses
    linux...

    Thanks for reminding me.

    > Everything has to be your way or the highway.

    do you deny that he's a whiny little bitch whenever someone posts
    compliments to his rivals and the forks of his software?

    > So tell me, exactly what have you, Schestowitz, Kent, [Homer], and most of
    > the rest of you ever done for Linux that gives you the right to slag Jorge?

    I've used it. That's enough to "slag" someone who turns arsey just because
    someone has the audacity to fork their precious software in order to keep it
    open.

  18. Re: Terry is back

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:28:39 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> So? What do his contributions have to do with his ****ty attitude?

    >> I could care less if he hung a banner from the George Washington Bridge
    >> proclaiming something or other that I did not agree with, it's just the way
    >> you Linux loons eat your own young.

    > Ahhh, right, I keep forgetting...
    > Everything anyone ever does to contribute to linux/open source makes them
    > immune in perpetuity from any form of criticism from anyone who uses
    > linux...
    >
    > Thanks for reminding me.
    >

    >> Everything has to be your way or the highway.

    > do you deny that he's a whiny little bitch whenever someone posts
    > compliments to his rivals and the forks of his software?
    >
    >> So tell me, exactly what have you, Schestowitz, Kent, [Homer], and most of
    >> the rest of you ever done for Linux that gives you the right to slag Jorge?

    > I've used it. That's enough to "slag" someone who turns arsey just because
    > someone has the audacity to fork their precious software in order to keep it
    > open.

    Like I said, it's either *your way* or the highway.

    So what have the likes of you, Kent, Schestowitz, Homer etc done for Linux
    that gives you the right to slag Jorge?

    You seem unable to answer that question.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  19. Re: Terry is back

    The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:28:39 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> I could care less if he hung a banner from the George Washington Bridge
    >>> proclaiming something or other that I did not agree with, it's just the
    >>> way you Linux loons eat your own young.

    >> Ahhh, right, I keep forgetting...
    >> Everything anyone ever does to contribute to linux/open source makes them
    >> immune in perpetuity from any form of criticism from anyone who uses
    >> linux...
    >>
    >> Thanks for reminding me.
    >>

    >>> Everything has to be your way or the highway.

    >> do you deny that he's a whiny little bitch whenever someone posts
    >> compliments to his rivals and the forks of his software?
    >>
    >>> So tell me, exactly what have you, Schestowitz, Kent, [Homer], and most
    >>> of the rest of you ever done for Linux that gives you the right to slag
    >>> Jorge?

    >> I've used it. That's enough to "slag" someone who turns arsey just
    >> because someone has the audacity to fork their precious software in order
    >> to keep it open.

    > Like I said, it's either *your way* or the highway.

    Nope. It is freedom

    > So what have the likes of you, Kent, Schestowitz, Homer etc done for Linux
    > that gives you the right to slag Jorge?
    >
    > You seem unable to answer that question.

    The answer is so obvious it is hilarious you have to ask:
    Everyone has the right to criticize Jörg for his rash behaviour.
    He simply has not earned immunity from criticism. Nobody has.

    Now go on with your cretinous rant, flatfish
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    It could be worse, but it'll take time.

  20. Re: Terry is back

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:11:10 +0200, Peter Khlmann wrote:

    > The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:

    >>> Ahhh, right, I keep forgetting...
    >>> Everything anyone ever does to contribute to linux/open source makes them
    >>> immune in perpetuity from any form of criticism from anyone who uses
    >>> linux...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for reminding me.

    >>> do you deny that he's a whiny little bitch whenever someone posts
    >>> compliments to his rivals and the forks of his software?

    >>> I've used it. That's enough to "slag" someone who turns arsey just
    >>> because someone has the audacity to fork their precious software in order
    >>> to keep it open.

    >> Like I said, it's either *your way* or the highway.

    > Nope. It is freedom

    Freedom as long as it fits into your definition of freedom.
    IOW the radical Linux free-tards like Schestowitz, Kent, Homer etc.

    This has already been proven in another thread, which you are fully aware
    of because you took the other side.

    >> So what have the likes of you, Kent, Schestowitz, Homer etc done for Linux
    >> that gives you the right to slag Jorge?
    >>
    >> You seem unable to answer that question.
    >>

    > The answer is so obvious it is hilarious you have to ask:
    > Everyone has the right to criticize Jrg for his rash behaviour.
    > He simply has not earned immunity from criticism. Nobody has.

    He should be respected, not criticized.
    Talk is cheap, expeically when it comes to free-tards like Schestowitz,
    Spike and so forth who use Windows by day, have done zero for the Linux
    community and yet still have the audacity to slag a major package
    contributor like Jorge.

    He earned his stripes by contributing to the Linux community.

    BTW what have you done for Linux Kohlmann?
    Other than making it look bad that is.