Terry is back - Linux

This is a discussion on Terry is back - Linux ; Hadron wrote: > William Poaster writes: >> Homer wrote: >>> Terry Porter spake thusly: >>> >>>> Hi All, >>> >>> Crikey! We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian >>> reasons. >> >> Nah, let's get the popcorn & beer instead! ...

  1. Re: Terry is back

    Hadron wrote:
    > William Poaster writes:
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>> Terry Porter spake thusly:

    >>> Crikey! We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian
    >>> reasons.

    >> Nah, let's get the popcorn & beer instead! ;-)

    > Before or after you remove your fake "Debian 5.0" OS header
    > Willy?

    Yup (slurp!)

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  2. Re: Terry is back

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> William Poaster writes:

    >>> Nah, let's get the popcorn & beer instead! ;-)

    >> Before or after you remove your fake "Debian 5.0" OS header
    >> Willy?

    > Yup (slurp!)

    Your point is?

    Or do you deny this exists?

    --
    "Nice to know I live in your head, bitch."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  3. Re: Terry is back

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > (he's so cute!)

    Hmm... I see a turd, you see "cute".

    --
    "One of the reasons so much good SW exists for Windows is that the
    APIs *are* well documented and supported." - "True Linux advocate"

  4. Re: Terry is back

    chrisv wrote:
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> (he's so cute!)

    > Hmm... I see a turd, you see "cute".

    Put a santa hat on him and give him a script that included words like
    "hi-de-hoooo", and he might be seen as cute.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: Terry is back

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> (he's so cute!)

    > Hmm... I see a turd, you see "cute".

    Well, he's a cute little turd.

    --
    "Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient.
    It's called 'rain'."

  6. Re: Terry is back

    "Terry Porter" schreef in bericht
    news:SvOdnb4YptQqt2jVnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:10:07 +0200, Clogwog wrote:
    >
    >> "Terry Porter" schreef in bericht
    >> news:Z5OdnaC_u6mqPGnVnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> After several years away from COLA,

    >> Hi George!
    >> Known HPT nyms: High Plains Thumper, HPT, Rafael, George Hostler, Wendy
    >> Toiletwater, Roberto Chavez, Robin T Cox, *Terry* *Porter* >> goes on and on>

    > Hi Clogwog, I see you're labeled as a Wintroll these days ?
    >

    > It's a good technique, claiming I'm a fake, but you lack the details for
    > reasonable proof of your claim.
    >
    > Actually, I first wrote the Python app that searched all the headers of
    > posts to Cola and looking for matching domain names etc. I then included
    > the list on my weekly Cola posters stats before Mark Kent took it over

    Oh, dear! *the* "Mark Kent"?
    Mark Kent, Linux advocate by night and Microsoft partner by day.
    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."
    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy
    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products
    Mark Kent's partner Microsoft:
    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=ourpartners
    http://www.jnetx.com/fileadmin/image...ll/logo005.jpg
    Mark Kent's jNetX N(X) - Convergent Network Services for Microsoft CSF
    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4
    Download Mark Kent's Microsoft demo:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    > after I stopped posting.
    >
    > You need to compare headers, because my name alone is not enough to show
    > I'm a fake (or the original) Terry Porter. I know who I am (the real and
    > original Terry Porter), but of course no one else can be sure as yet.
    >
    > Then you have to actually *read* the content of the post, is the poster
    > advocating Linux or not ?
    >
    > I posted around 300 posts a day from 1997 for around three years, and I
    > came along just after the great Alexander Viro left COLA. I soon drew the
    > attention and ire of many Wintrolls who forged me while I was an active
    > poster and continued years after I had stopped posting.
    >
    > In fact it was the Cola stats for July of this year, that I stumbled
    > across recently, listing me as a poster, that initiated my comeback.

    The *real* stats:
    Sept. 2008 Linux > 3.8%
    Sept. 2003 Linux > 2.4%
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    Your comeback is needed for some good Linux advocacy, I bet!, although one
    of the worst COLA advocates (besides Liarnut ), Kelsey, doubts
    your motives.

    > Note to Wintrolls: there is a downside to forging the names of long
    > absent Linux advocates
    >
    > Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997

    I pity you!, get eXPee!
    --
    PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Terry is back

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Rick Mathers (Clogwog) wrote:

    >>> Hi Terry, good to meet you. I've read some of your earlier
    >>> posts. I became interested in COLA around 2004, after you
    >>> discontinued posting.

    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAH, your such a twit, George, putting your
    >> head up Terry's ass!

    > This is an example of:
    >
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    *snip embarassing post from High Plains Hypocrite*

    This is an example of:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...mper-liar.html

    "The "High Plains Thumper" liar"

  8. Re: Terry is back

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >> Rick Mathers (Clogwog) wrote:
    >>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...

    >>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAH, your such a twit, George, putting your
    >>> head up Terry's ass!

    >> This is an example of:
    >>
    >> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    > *snip embarassing post from High Plains Hypocrite*
    >
    > This is an example of:
    >
    > http:[snip]

    Rather sad that this troll cannot respect my nym, but post in an
    insulting manner. Also this troll supports trolls who cannot
    speak respectfully of one's opinions or nyms. This is an example of:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The
    liberal use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents. Your
    experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    45. Criticize Linux Advocates but ignore anti-Linux
    propagandist transgressions. Always criticize the behavior of
    Linux Advocates, but, ignore the same and even worse
    transgressions are being committed by your fellow Trespassers.

    46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as
    face value. Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's
    statements as being true. Accept their interpretations without
    question, don't bother verifying their statements. If they claim
    something against a Linux advocate always side with the
    anti-Linux propagandists.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  9. Re: Terry is back

    High Plains Thumper had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 16-10-08 04:40:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    >>> This is an example of:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    >> *snip embarassing post from High Plains Hypocrite*
    >>
    >> This is an example of:
    >>
    >> http:[snip]

    > Rather sad that this troll cannot respect my nym, but post in an
    > insulting manner. Also this troll supports trolls who cannot speak
    > respectfully of one's opinions or nyms. This is an example of:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    > [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal use of
    > profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective, particularly when used
    > against you more dignified opponents. Your experience as a school yard
    > bully can be handy here.
    >
    > 45. Criticize Linux Advocates but ignore anti-Linux propagandist
    > transgressions. Always criticize the behavior of Linux Advocates, but,
    > ignore the same and even worse transgressions are being committed by
    > your fellow Trespassers.
    >
    > 46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as face
    > value. Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's statements as being
    > true. Accept their interpretations without question, don't bother
    > verifying their statements. If they claim something against a Linux
    > advocate always side with the anti-Linux propagandists.

    Dear Terry,

    Welcome (again) in Trolls' Paradise!!!

    Erik Jan

  10. Re: Terry is back

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:40:47 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    >>> This is an example of:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    >> *snip embarassing post from High Plains Hypocrite*
    >>
    >> This is an example of:
    >>
    >> http:[snip]

    > Rather sad that this troll cannot respect my nym, but post in an
    > insulting manner. Also this troll supports trolls who cannot
    > speak respectfully of one's opinions or nyms. This is an example of:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    > [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The
    > liberal use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    > particularly when used against you more dignified opponents. Your
    > experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.
    >
    > 45. Criticize Linux Advocates but ignore anti-Linux
    > propagandist transgressions. Always criticize the behavior of
    > Linux Advocates, but, ignore the same and even worse
    > transgressions are being committed by your fellow Trespassers.
    >
    > 46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as
    > face value. Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's
    > statements as being true. Accept their interpretations without
    > question, don't bother verifying their statements. If they claim
    > something against a Linux advocate always side with the
    > anti-Linux propagandists.

    As Hadron Quack chooses to troll, & hang out with K-man & Flatfish, it
    tells you a lot about him, doesn't it.
    Well that & the fact he's condemned himself with his idiotic posts &
    ****ty attitude in every group he's been in.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  11. Re: Terry is back

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    >>> This is an example of:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    >> *snip embarassing post from High Plains Hypocrite*
    >>
    >> This is an example of:
    >>
    >> http:[snip]

    > Rather sad that this troll cannot respect my nym, but post in an
    > insulting manner. Also this troll supports trolls who cannot
    > speak respectfully of one's opinions or nyms. This is an example of:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    > [quote] 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    Interesting. First, Hadron takes the side, basically, of that Clogwog
    wackjob. Second, all he can come up with in response is a lame
    bizarro-parody of your link and your point.

    Hy kwality advocacy from Hadrone Queeg.

    --
    The U.S. couldn't even get rid of Saddam Hussein. And we all know that the
    EU is just a passing fad. They'll be killing each other again in less than a

  12. Re: Terry is back

    Terry Porter espoused:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and see
    > if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be, considering the
    > beating they are taking these days, in every area.
    >
    > Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark K!

    I raise my hat Sir! Welcome back! I very much hope you'll be able to
    post here from time to time again - your style is refreshing, open and
    clearly based around personal experience and knowledge.

    > Contrary to the usual silly "I've gone back to Windows" fake posts in my
    > name, Linux is still my *only* OS, and I use it for everything as always.

    Snap!

    > I've been very fortunate and have no need to use anything other than
    > Linux in my daily work since 1997, which many Linux advocates cannot say
    > (unfortunately) due to the Microsoft Monopoly.

    Fortunately, the evolution, firefox, pidgin, oo.org plus pdf and image
    viewers, as well as totem & mplayer provide a perfect and highly
    functional replacement for work windows. I've been using this
    combination full-time for my "work" pc for about 12 months now - it's
    excellent.

    > I've been flat out the last 5 years with my own WiFi business, doing
    > technical support, network designs and supplying Access Points, so I
    > won't be posting here often, certainly not like I once used to, with up
    > to 300 replies a day.

    Ah, they were great times :-)

    > I can almost hear Kelsey B breath a sigh of relief. Never fear Kelsey,
    > I'm older and a bit wiser now ;-)
    >
    > Work:
    > I've personally supplied around 3500 Access points over the last 5 years
    > all powered by Linux of course, as Linux in the embedded space is the
    > sensible option.

    But Terry, all the trolls say that you can't run a business on Linux, so
    this must be untrue :-))

    > Even my TV, a 32" LG Hidef TV runs Linux.
    >
    > My three commercial set top boxes run Linux.
    >
    > My partner Janice, runs Linux Debian 4.0 on her workstation, and her Acer
    > Aspire one runs Linpus (default).
    >
    > Our server a hp-netserver runs Slackware, and this workstation which is a
    > Intel quad core runs Gnu/Gentoo/Icewm. It has 27 virtual desktops, all of
    > which are packed with applications.
    >
    > I have two Asus Eeepc900's one I use for Wifi work and runs Debian Lenny,
    > the other is a spare, still unpacked in its box.

    I've got 2 Debian-based gaming & general purpose machines, 2 Nokia 770
    linux web tablets, one Nokia 800 linux web tablet, 2 Linksys wrt54gl
    wireless routers running "white russian" (linux), a Bubba Excito linux
    server, a Mythtv box (Ubuntu+Myth), a general file server, nis server,
    usenet and more which is Debian, my Asus/ubuntu work desktop (dual
    monitor, dual-core AMD), plus Mrs Mark has an archos 504 media player
    (linux), and a TomTom G700 (also linux), I have a Go900 (linux), a
    Motorola A780 phone (linux), no1 son has a dualPPC mac running Kubuntu and
    a Mac mini (xubuntu), and a GamePark GP2X (linux gaming machine), no2 son
    has a PS3 (ubuntu), a GP2X (as above), and an HP laptop running Xubuntu.

    And... it all works terribly reliably.

    > In 1997 it was clear that Linux was an unstoppable force, and it's
    > interesting to see how Linux has grown exponentially since that time,
    > which is amazing considering the size and power of the Convicted
    > Monopolist which attempts every day to cut off the supply of Linux
    > devices by any and all means possible, both legal and illegal.
    >
    > Now for some uptimes :-
    > This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime
    > 23:55:13 up 56 days, 7:02, 31 users, load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09
    > Server: root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime
    > 22:53:12 up 44 days, 5:43, 6 users, load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13

    I used to have a UPS on my main server box, but the UPS broke down
    before the server did...

    > What Linux apps do I use ?
    >
    > So many, I'll just name a few :-
    > Network designs are done using Kicad or gEDA.
    > PCB designs are done using PCB
    > Browsing: Firefox3
    > User manuals: LaTeX ( I'll never use anything else)
    > Spreadsheets: Open Office
    > VM: Qemu/KVM
    > Cad Drawing: Qcad
    > Programing Editor: Gvim
    > HTML: Bluefish
    > Firewall rulesets: FwBuilder
    > Db: Postgress with Pgadmin3
    > Labels: Glabels
    > Accounts: Sql-Ledger, but moving to WebERP
    >
    > What non Linux apps or os do I use ?
    > Answer: zero (0)
    > Why ?: If you have to ask, then you have never *really* used Linux.

    Good point! I'll have to look at FwBuilder - I use the policy routing
    in linux to mix two adsl lines (I have two ISPs), so it'll be interesting
    to see if there's some help out there to simplify setting it up.

    Oh, just to clarify, Homer does the stats, although I held the script
    briefly, and did contribute some input way back when Roy Culley was
    running it. I do the Digest, though, so if you'd care to post a [News]
    item (or anyone else care to, for that matter), then, so long as you
    keep to the standard syntax, my script will pick it up and include it.

    The Digest gets quite a readership outside of cola, so it's well
    worthwhile. Perhaps you might have some news about your business?

  13. Re: Terry is back

    Hi Homer,

    Mark Kent speaks of you with high regard

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 02:16:20 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >
    >> In fact it was the Cola stats for July of this year, that I stumbled
    >> across recently, listing me as a poster, that initiated my comeback.

    > You must mean the Troll's stats, as posted by the Dizum dimwit:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/

    msg/5da09e3bb7074ff2?dmode=source

    > Unlike the real stats:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....browse_thread/

    thread/2273148152368410/2b10d41cd9d15d07?lnk=st&q=#2b10d41cd9d15d07

    I can't remember now, it was just a fleeting moment that I saw it.

    >> Note to Wintrolls: there is a downside to forging the names of long
    >> absent Linux advocates

    > Your radar must be even more highly tuned than Jörg Schilling's

    Does he post here on Cola ?

    I've never met Jörg, or read anything by him, but his CDrecord
    application is much appreciated by myself.

    Cheers
    Terry

  14. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:20:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

  15. Re: Terry is back

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:24:05 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Terry Porter
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:58:36 -0500
    > :
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:12:59 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:

    >>> Crikey!
    >>>
    >>> We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian reasons.

    >> Hahahah, Hi Homer
    >>
    >> I'm not the Troll eater I used to be, time and age have taken their
    >> toll.
    >>
    >> I'm 54 years old now and only eat the odd live Windows advocate for
    >> breakfast, as I'm finding they lack nutrition.
    >>
    >> Wintrolls are stale like bread made in October 2001, and their diet of
    >> XP isn't doing them any good, it's just too damn OLD!
    >>
    >> Most Wintrolls find the new Windows sustenance called Vista just
    >> doesn't agree with them for some reason.
    >>
    >> There is only one modern, Free, up-to-date, and outstanding OS around,
    >> it's called Gnu/Linux, and of course every real Linux advocate here
    >> knows it
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >> Terry
    >>

    > Well, FWIW, not much has changed, although I don't remember if you left
    > before Roy decided to start his news service.

    Neither can I !

    > I also have bad news....and I wish I knew precisely what version of
    > Apache is affected. Seems that a site named zone-h.org is tracking
    > successful hacks of websites, and Apache is at the top of the heap -- a
    > dubious honor, at best.
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/security_report.html
    >
    > shows a critical Chunked encoding vulnerability in 1.3.25 (fixed in
    > 1.3.26) but little else, unless web servers are using Win32 (there's a
    > Win32 Apache Remote command execution capability fixed in 1.3.24).
    >
    > Color me extremely curious and rather worried, but it appears that IIS
    > is now *more* secure than Apache, at least from the standpoint of
    > successful hacks.

    That's hard to know, as it's difficult to get past the stats and damn
    lies to uncover the truth these days.

    I see Code-Red and Nimda attempts in my logs every day, and these are
    Windows server only exploits.

    > zone-h.org is now back up and shows 69.55% successful hacks of Linux as
    > of last week, with 21.00% Win2003, and 5.04% Win2000. One of the bigger
    > hacks was of phoeniz.lpl.arizona.edu, the Martian lander, apparently. It
    > is running Apache 2.2.8.
    >
    > One has to wonder what hole allowed the intruders in; the Apache website
    > above only suggests cross-scripting vulnerabilities, and I don't know if
    > that'll do it or not. (I'm not much of a hacker/cracker type.)
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1235
    >
    > suggests they used remote SQL injection. (Fortunately, this particular
    > attack was limited to defacement/redirction of the page; no malware was
    > sent -- but what about next time?)

    SQL injection isn't really the fault of the web server is it ?
    As far as I know, it's the fault of the application or database.

    In any event, Apache is so configurable, it's pretty easy to prohibit
    data that would enable SQL injection, and log such attempts.

    There are articles on the Internet that show how to do this.

    > Of course, there's still the question of *desktop* security; Linux still
    > wins there -- thank goodness for small favors.

    I admit I'm *really* out of touch with Windows on the desktop, and I plan
    to keep it that way.

    Here are my latest Apache 2 server stats from Awestats:-
    Operating Systems
    Versions Hits Percent
    Windows 75766 75.8 %
    Windows XP 57129 57.2 %
    Windows NT 30 0 %
    Windows Vista 15827 15.8 %
    Windows CE 4 0 %
    Windows 98 87 0 %
    Windows 2003 1654 1.6 %
    Windows 2000 1035 1 %
    BSD 32 0 %
    OpenBSD 30 0 %
    FreeBSD 2 0 %
    Linux 14643 14.6 %
    Ubuntu 8031 8 %
    Suse 221 0.2 %
    Red Hat 29 0 %
    Mandriva (or Mandrake) 37 0 %
    Fedora 800 0.8 %
    Debian 774 0.7 %
    Centos 30 0 %
    GNU Linux (Unknown or unspecified distribution) 4721 4.7 %
    Macintosh 8214 8.2 %
    Mac OS X 8214 8.2 %
    Others 1179 1.1 %
    Unknown 1057 1 %
    Unknown Unix system 84 0 %
    Sun Solaris 38 0 %

    Browsers (Top 10)
    MSIE 14139 14.1 %
    Msie 8.0 No 462 0.4 %
    Msie 7.0 No 9725 9.7 %
    Msie 6.0 No 3939 3.9 %
    Msie 5.5 No 11 0 %
    Msie 5.01 No 1 0 %
    Msie ? No 1 0 %
    FIREFOX 70932 71.1 %
    Firefox 3.1 No 245 0.2 %
    Firefox 3.0.3 No 55398 55.5 %
    Firefox 3.0.2 No 1075 1 %
    Firefox 3.0.1 No 3847 3.8 %
    Firefox 3.0 No 1818 1.8 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.9 No 109 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.7 No 122 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.6 No 271 0.2 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.5 No 52 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.4 No 172 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.3 No 151 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.2 No 30 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.17 No 4686 4.6 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.16 No 602 0.6 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.15 No 99 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.14 No 616 0.6 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.13 No 107 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.12 No 338 0.3 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.11 No 501 0.5 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.10 No 83 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.1 No 32 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.0 No 29 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0 No 32 0 %
    Firefox 2.0 No 63 0 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.6 No 1 0 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.4 No 30 0 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.12 No 391 0.3 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.11 No 2 0 %
    Firefox 1.0 No 30 0 %
    NETSCAPE 20 0 %
    Netscape 5.0 No 1 0 %
    Netscape 4.0 No 19 0 %
    Others 14619 14.6 %
    Safari No 6560 6.5 %
    Opera No 4790 4.8 %
    Mozilla No 1994 1.9 %
    Konqueror No 638 0.6 %
    Unknown ? 181 0.1 %
    BonEcho (Firefox 2.0 development) No 116 0.1 %
    Epiphany No 87 0 %
    K-Meleon No 70 0 %
    Vienna (RSS Reader) No 56 0 %
    Links No 54 0 %
    NetNewsWire (RSS Reader) No 34 0 %
    Galeon No 30 0 %
    LibWWW No 5 0 %
    Wget Yes 2 0 %
    BlogBridge (RSS Reader) No 1 0 %
    Liferea (RSS Reader) No 1 0 %

    An interesting stat I see here, is that while Windows is dominant, Linux
    is as popular as Vista

    > All in all, welcome back to the fray... ;-)

    Thanks!

    I must admit, I don't expect much from the current crop of Wintrolls,
    their posts nowdays make obnoxious 6 years olds I once knew seem like
    Einstein.

    When I was here last, around 2001, things were far more exciting as XP
    had just been released, and how the Wintrolls were stamping their big
    hairy flat feet in excited expectation of wonderful things to come from
    Microsoft.

    I thought it was all a big yawn. XP looked like 'Toys R Us' to me, same
    old stuff.

    Now it's 2008, XP is still the most popular OS amongst Windows users, and
    it's EIGHT YEARS OLD !!!!!

    HAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA, GACK,SPIT, COUGH, ahh I
    needed that!

    XP is eight years old, and it sure looks dated to me. Then again it
    looked dated when it first came out, hello ... can anyone spell NT ?

    Flatfish used to carry on about how old Linux was etc, talk about irony

    Sure Compiz-Fusion is all bling and personally I use ICEwm (still), but
    Compiz does show the advanced display technology available in Linux.

    Compiz also makes great big saucer eyes out of Windows users when they
    see it, in fact I'm pretty sure that Compiz has stopped the brains of a
    couple as their mouths worked like stranded Guppies as they stared.

    Windows ..... where do you want to be stuck yesterday ?

    Cheers
    Terry

  16. Re: Terry is back

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:46:11 +0200, Clogwog wrote:

    ,snip>
    >> Hi Clogwog, I see you're labeled as a Wintroll these days ?
    >>

    >> It's a good technique, claiming I'm a fake, but you lack the details
    >> for reasonable proof of your claim.
    >>
    >> Actually, I first wrote the Python app that searched all the headers of
    >> posts to Cola and looking for matching domain names etc. I then
    >> included the list on my weekly Cola posters stats before Mark Kent took
    >> it over

    > Oh, dear! *the* "Mark Kent"?
    > Mark Kent, Linux advocate by night and Microsoft partner by day. "At BT
    > Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our customers.
    > With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services, allowing
    > us to evolve the services as and when required." Mark Kent
    > Head of Technology Strategy
    > http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products Mark Kent's partner
    > Microsoft:
    > http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=ourpartners
    > http://www.jnetx.com/fileadmin/image...ll/logo005.jpg
    > Mark Kent's jNetX N(X) - Convergent Network Services for Microsoft CSF
    > https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com/SDK/Solutions/

    SolutionDetailsView.aspx?solutionid=9bf1884cf9354b beb110ba73b82dbdb4
    > Download Mark Kent's Microsoft demo:
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b1a-0b15-4fe9-

    be7b-275fb83964d4/Jnetx_Sandbox_Demo.pptx

    Snore ....
    Mark Kent is a real Linux advocate in my books, and he is worthy of my
    respect.

    Sadly, you're neither of the above.

    > The *real* stats:
    > Sept. 2008 Linux > 3.8%
    > Sept. 2003 Linux > 2.4%
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp Your comeback is
    > needed for some good Linux advocacy, I bet!,

    Of course it's not, I always said that Linux is an unstoppable force, and
    will continue its exponential growth with or without my assistance on
    Cola.

    Look what Linux has achieved since I've been away!

    Linux *owns* the netbook and handheld market, is being deployed by
    companies all over the place, and almost everyone I ask, has at least
    *heard* of Linux now.

    I only came back here to say hi to the Linux advocates, and have some fun
    with Wintrolls like you.

    > although one of the worst
    > COLA advocates (besides Liarnut ), Kelsey, doubts your
    > motives.

    So say you

    Kelsey and I never did get along, besides the current one may no more be
    the Kelsey of old, that anyone posting under my name since 2001 was me.

    >> Note to Wintrolls: there is a downside to forging the names of long
    >> absent Linux advocates
    >>
    >> Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997
    >>

    > I pity you!, get eXPee!

    You really have no idea what's going on do you

    > --
    > PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    Later.... I'm hungry and have a few more Wintrolls to eat yet.

  17. Re: Terry is back

    On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:44:23 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Terry, good to meet you.

    > Hi, same here!
    >
    >> I've read some of your earlier posts. I
    >> became interested in COLA around 2004, after you discontinued posting.
    >> Similar to your motorcycle experiences, currently I ride a 1987 Suzuki
    >> Savage.

    > 650cc single ?
    >
    >> Also have a 1971 Honda CB100 in the stable.

    > Vintage!
    >
    > I still have my two bikes, a 1994 Honda 900CBRR Fireblade and a 1994
    > Honda 1100cc V4 "ST1100", tho in the USA it's called a "Pan European".

    I've got an old 1981 Honda CX500. It took my lovely wife and I from
    Newcastle NSW to the Sunshine Coast QLD and back. Never missed a beat.

    > I rode the ST1100 around Australia in Xmas 2002, then from NSW to WA and
    > back in 2006. I'm planning to do the Perth and back run again next April.

    I've been looking for a reasonably priced ST1100 for ages. Usually the
    cheap ones are over 10 years old and have over 100,000 kms on the clock.

    How do you find the bike? I love the look of them and they are one of
    the quietest bikes on the road.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  18. Re: Terry is back

    On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter wrote:

    >> Your radar must be even more highly tuned than Jörg Schilling's

    > Does he post here on Cola ?
    >
    > I've never met Jörg, or read anything by him, but his CDrecord
    > application is much appreciated by myself.

    He is a weird bloke and very prickly. He often turns up in
    linux.gentoo.user whenever there's a discussion of cdrecord.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  19. Re: Terry is back

    On 2008-10-17, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:20:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> ____/ Terry Porter on Tuesday 14 October 2008 13:40 : \____
    >>
    >>> Now for some uptimes :-
    >>> This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime 23:55:13 up 56 days, *7:02, 31
    >>> users, *load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09 Server:
    >>> root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime 22:53:12 up 44 days, *5:43, *6
    >>> users, *load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13

    > Hi Roy, nice to meet you. I hear you're doing a great job kicking
    > Wintroll arse these days
    >
    >> The DFS Munchkins would refuse to believe.

    > Yeah, they *say* they don't believe the long uptimes Linux so easily
    > achieves, but who is stupid enough to take what they say on face value ?
    >
    > Not me, that's for sure.
    >
    > gronk1 mnt # uptime
    > 14:32:46 up 58 days, 21:39, 29 users, load average: 2.24, 2.15, 2.10

    Here's my lovely linksys WRT54GL router running openwrt:

    16:26:51 up 140 days, 22:05, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    Load average goes up dramatically when I've got a few wifi connections
    running openvpn. The little WRT54GL is my openvpn server.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: Terry is back

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:17:09 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Terry Porter espoused:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and
    >> see if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be,
    >> considering the beating they are taking these days, in every area.
    >>
    >> Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark
    >> K!

    > I raise my hat Sir! Welcome back!

    Hi Mark!

    > I very much hope you'll be able to
    > post here from time to time again - your style is refreshing, open and
    > clearly based around personal experience and knowledge.

    Why thank you, you know how I do love squishing Wintrolls

    >> Contrary to the usual silly "I've gone back to Windows" fake posts in
    >> my name, Linux is still my *only* OS, and I use it for everything as
    >> always.

    > Snap!
    >

    >> I've been very fortunate and have no need to use anything other than
    >> Linux in my daily work since 1997, which many Linux advocates cannot
    >> say (unfortunately) due to the Microsoft Monopoly.

    > Fortunately, the evolution, firefox, pidgin, oo.org plus pdf and image
    > viewers, as well as totem & mplayer provide a perfect and highly
    > functional replacement for work windows. I've been using this
    > combination full-time for my "work" pc for about 12 months now - it's
    > excellent.

    The only problem is that you have *much* more time to work, as Linux just
    merges into the background, no more reboots and re-installs etc etc.

    Windows users cannot begin to comprehend my increased productivity with
    Linux.

    >> I've been flat out the last 5 years with my own WiFi business, doing
    >> technical support, network designs and supplying Access Points, so I
    >> won't be posting here often, certainly not like I once used to, with up
    >> to 300 replies a day.

    > Ah, they were great times :-)

    I have a few regrets, naming some questionable posters as Wintrolls, and
    I could have probably used the time to make a few hundred thousand
    dollars instead, but hey, the time was right for it.

    >> I can almost hear Kelsey B breath a sigh of relief. Never fear Kelsey,
    >> I'm older and a bit wiser now ;-)
    >>
    >> Work:
    >> I've personally supplied around 3500 Access points over the last 5
    >> years all powered by Linux of course, as Linux in the embedded space is
    >> the sensible option.

    > But Terry, all the trolls say that you can't run a business on Linux, so
    > this must be untrue :-))

    Hahahahah

    I've just bought a brand new deLL 2408 24" (PVA) LCD this last fortnight,
    it's unopened as I've been so busy, cost was about $615 AUD.
    In all, I've spent about $10k on toys in the last 6 months, not including
    paying rent, electricity, food, motor vehicle costs and all the usual
    other stuff.

    Every cent has come from a Linux related income.

    Not only that, but my entire business RUNS entirely 100% on Linux.

    >> Even my TV, a 32" LG Hidef TV runs Linux.
    >>
    >> My three commercial set top boxes run Linux.
    >>
    >> My partner Janice, runs Linux Debian 4.0 on her workstation, and her
    >> Acer Aspire one runs Linpus (default).
    >>
    >> Our server a hp-netserver runs Slackware, and this workstation which is
    >> a Intel quad core runs Gnu/Gentoo/Icewm. It has 27 virtual desktops,
    >> all of which are packed with applications.
    >>
    >> I have two Asus Eeepc900's one I use for Wifi work and runs Debian
    >> Lenny, the other is a spare, still unpacked in its box.

    > I've got 2 Debian-based gaming & general purpose machines, 2 Nokia 770
    > linux web tablets,

    hey, I have a Nokia 770 as well!

    > one Nokia 800 linux web tablet, 2 Linksys wrt54gl
    > wireless routers running "white russian" (linux),

    I have a WRT54Gl that sits on the Internet with its Reverse SSH server
    totally exposed.

    root@SSH:~# uptime
    06:33:37 up 9 days, 19:33, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    It purpose is to allow me to remotely administrate Linux clients who are
    behind firewalls.

    > a Bubba Excito linux
    > server, a Mythtv box (Ubuntu+Myth),

    Mine is a Dreambox running Linux natively, and two Chinese set top players
    also running Linux from the factory.

    > a general file server, nis server,
    > usenet and more which is Debian, my Asus/ubuntu work desktop (dual
    > monitor, dual-core AMD), plus Mrs Mark has an archos 504 media player
    > (linux), and a TomTom G700 (also linux), I have a Go900 (linux), a
    > Motorola A780 phone (linux), no1 son has a dualPPC mac running Kubuntu
    > and a Mac mini (xubuntu), and a GamePark GP2X (linux gaming machine),
    > no2 son has a PS3 (ubuntu), a GP2X (as above), and an HP laptop running
    > Xubuntu.

    Awesome!

    > And... it all works terribly reliably.

    Of course.

    Anyone who believes the claims of Clogwog about Marks Linux loyalties is
    making a big mistake, it's "Clogwog' who cannot be believed.

    >> In 1997 it was clear that Linux was an unstoppable force, and it's
    >> interesting to see how Linux has grown exponentially since that time,
    >> which is amazing considering the size and power of the Convicted
    >> Monopolist which attempts every day to cut off the supply of Linux
    >> devices by any and all means possible, both legal and illegal.
    >>
    >> Now for some uptimes :-
    >> This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime
    >> 23:55:13 up 56 days, 7:02, 31 users, load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09
    >> Server: root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime
    >> 22:53:12 up 44 days, 5:43, 6 users, load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13

    > I used to have a UPS on my main server box, but the UPS broke down
    > before the server did...

    As they do, did the battery dry out ?

    >> Firewall rulesets: FwBuilder

    > Good point! I'll have to look at FwBuilder - I use the policy routing
    > in linux to mix two adsl lines (I have two ISPs), so it'll be
    > interesting to see if there's some help out there to simplify setting it
    > up.

    FwBuilder is really *outstanding*, has a high initial learning curve, but
    you'll never use anything else after the 'penny drops'

    Please feel free to email me about it if you need any pointers.

    > Oh, just to clarify, Homer does the stats,

    On YA Homer

    > although I held the script
    > briefly, and did contribute some input way back when Roy Culley was
    > running it. I do the Digest, though, so if you'd care to post a [News]
    > item (or anyone else care to, for that matter), then, so long as you
    > keep to the standard syntax, my script will pick it up and include it.
    >
    > The Digest gets quite a readership outside of cola, so it's well
    > worthwhile. Perhaps you might have some news about your business?

    Absolutely, I'll get to work on a few articles

    It's Friday night here, and my work week is over (till tomorrow), all
    orders are shipped and I'm just leaning back relaxing, passing my scope
    crosshairs over some sad warty Wintrolls hiding under the Cola bridge.