So where's all the Linux viruses? - Linux

This is a discussion on So where's all the Linux viruses? - Linux ; Kelsey Bjarnason writes: > [snips] > > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 02:07:17 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote: > >>> You stupid fool. Do you never tire of making a dick head out of >>> yourself? This is the problem with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 141 to 150 of 150

Thread: So where's all the Linux viruses?

  1. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 02:07:17 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >>> You stupid fool. Do you never tire of making a dick head out of
    >>> yourself? This is the problem with headline surfers like you and Roy.
    >>> You don't understand the bigger picture.

    >>
    >> OK, put up or shut up. Show us this "bigger picture", proving that Linux
    >> users are just as vulnerable to malware, viruses and other mayhem as
    >> Windows users.

    >
    > Do we not recall, a year or three back, when one of our resident
    > boneheads tried to do just that, to prove that Linux was susceptible?
    >



    Linux IS susceptible.Through social engineering at the very least. You
    cheering fan boys need to grow up and see Linux for what it is - a very
    good OS but susceptible to criminal attacks none the less.

  2. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:03:28 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> The vast majority of viruses written today are written for profit.

    >
    > You mean like the profit to be had by getting such things into banking
    > and other systems, where they can get really useful information? Makes
    > sense to me, so we should be seeing Linux viruses by the millions, as
    > there's plenty of credit card numbers, banking info and the like
    > protected by and/or stored on such systems.



    This sums up your thinking. In the same way you can not see why a phone
    would need 4 gigs for "phone numbers".

    TRY to think Kelsey.

    The easy target will ALWAYS be users machines. People are careless. They
    store passwords in text files etc etc etc. Surely I do not need to say
    any more. You KNOW they do that. they are easy to manipulate. Getting to
    their files might only be a phone call away. No OS will protect against
    a stupid user manipulated in the right way.

    Now we all know the % of Linux desktops at home is very, very
    small. This is why they have not been so targeted. When Sandra from the
    corner shop has a Linux home PC you can be sure it WILL happen.....

    Do try to think for a change.

  3. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:03:28 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:


    >>> inherently more secure than Windows. So why aren't all the
    >>> anti-Linux coders churning out the Tux-busters?

    >>
    >> Maybe because they have a conscience?

    >
    > You're speaking of virus and malware authors, and you're saying they
    > have a conscience? That's a hoot; if they had a conscience, they
    > wouldn't be doing what they do at all.


    Fuddie walked right into that one.

    >> Maybe they're afraid of being caught?

    >
    > Doesn't seem to stop them doing this in Windows-land. Oh, wait,
    > that's because in Windows-land, they can expect to compromise untold
    > millions of machines without the machines' owners even being aware of
    > it.


    And again.

    Those "Evangelism is War" memos from Sweaty must be getting blocked by
    Ewik's overworked spam filter, 'cos he seems to be lacking his usual
    "inspiration" from the Vole's stink-tank.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "At the time, I thought C was the most elegant language and Java
    | the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
    | weeks after initial exposure to Lisp." ~ Constantine Vetoshev
    `----

    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.25.11-60.fc8
    21:22:22 up 12 days, 6:18, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.00

  4. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    In article ,
    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >
    > > The vast majority of viruses written today are written for profit.

    >
    > You mean like the profit to be had by getting such things into banking
    > and other systems, where they can get really useful information? Makes
    > sense to me, so we should be seeing Linux viruses by the millions, as
    > there's plenty of credit card numbers, banking info and the like
    > protected by and/or stored on such systems.


    The fact that Windows has a large presence among back end banking and
    other financial systems, without having a virus problem, shoots down
    your whole line of argument.


    > Fine; you do so, I'll give you the IP address of a Linux-based machine
    > you can attack, I'll give you a filename to retrieve the contents of and
    > we'll see how far you get.
    >
    > Actually, I'll do it twice: once with a default, unprotected install of
    > Linux - "out of the box" - once with a somewhat more sensible
    > configuration. Think you can crack _either_ of them? How about _both_?
    > The hardened box is what you'd have to crack to make it worthwhile from a
    > "financial institution" approach; the default install would suffice for
    > the more usual sort of attack.
    >
    > If you should compromise either, we'll then test your compromise on Linux
    > boxen running different apps, servers, CPUs, kernels and so forth; after
    > all, it doesn't just have to work _here_, it has to either work, or at
    > least remain undetected, in a wide variety of Linux setups, because as
    > soon as it is detected, the word will go out, patches will be deployed
    > (if needed) and it will have a very short life expectancy.
    >
    > You say you can do it? Just let me know when it's ready to deploy, I'll
    > set up the boxes.


    That is, of course, not how most viruses spread. If you want a more
    accurate simulation of the real world, your offer should be to let him
    give you a link to an executable file to download, which you will then
    download and run on your machine.


    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:43:26 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>
    >>> The vast majority of viruses written today are written for profit.

    >>
    >> You mean like the profit to be had by getting such things into banking
    >> and other systems, where they can get really useful information? Makes
    >> sense to me, so we should be seeing Linux viruses by the millions, as
    >> there's plenty of credit card numbers, banking info and the like
    >> protected by and/or stored on such systems.

    >
    > The fact that Windows has a large presence among back end banking and
    > other financial systems, without having a virus problem, shoots down
    > your whole line of argument.


    I've said it before and I will say it again, it's obvious that many of the
    people in this group are arm chair IT people.
    IOW they have no clue what goes on in the real world, or if they do, it's
    limited to small clients and a very small sampling.

    >
    >> Fine; you do so, I'll give you the IP address of a Linux-based machine
    >> you can attack, I'll give you a filename to retrieve the contents of and
    >> we'll see how far you get.
    >>
    >> Actually, I'll do it twice: once with a default, unprotected install of
    >> Linux - "out of the box" - once with a somewhat more sensible
    >> configuration. Think you can crack _either_ of them? How about _both_?
    >> The hardened box is what you'd have to crack to make it worthwhile from a
    >> "financial institution" approach; the default install would suffice for
    >> the more usual sort of attack.
    >>
    >> If you should compromise either, we'll then test your compromise on Linux
    >> boxen running different apps, servers, CPUs, kernels and so forth; after
    >> all, it doesn't just have to work _here_, it has to either work, or at
    >> least remain undetected, in a wide variety of Linux setups, because as
    >> soon as it is detected, the word will go out, patches will be deployed
    >> (if needed) and it will have a very short life expectancy.
    >>
    >> You say you can do it? Just let me know when it's ready to deploy, I'll
    >> set up the boxes.

    >
    > That is, of course, not how most viruses spread. If you want a more
    > accurate simulation of the real world, your offer should be to let him
    > give you a link to an executable file to download, which you will then
    > download and run on your machine.


    I got a beauty yesterday.
    Someone sent me a Hallmark eCard!
    How nice!

    However, hovering over the link it was obvious that it was pointing
    somewhere in Manila and to an executable file.
    Also, to make it more insidious, all the other links in the email pointed
    to legit Hallmark sites.
    Like, remove me from this list, send a card, reply etc.
    Just the one link to the card was bogus.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article ,
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>
    >> > The vast majority of viruses written today are written for profit.

    >>
    >> You mean like the profit to be had by getting such things into banking
    >> and other systems, where they can get really useful information? Makes
    >> sense to me, so we should be seeing Linux viruses by the millions, as
    >> there's plenty of credit card numbers, banking info and the like
    >> protected by and/or stored on such systems.

    >
    > The fact that Windows has a large presence among back end banking and
    > other financial systems, without having a virus problem, shoots down
    > your whole line of argument.


    What, did you pay $695 to buy a report, or do you know this from
    definitive sources? Are there even definitive sources? How many
    articles mention the vendor supplying the infrastructure?

    Anyway:

    http://www.itsecurity.com/features/b...y-woes-051308/

    Unwary Customers Contribute to Online-Banking Security Woes

    Not just the customers, but the applications they use:

    Clients from a range of industries ask SystemExperts to test their
    Web applications, and the company is able to penetrate more than half
    of those applications, according to Brad Johnson, a vice president at
    the company. That penetration may include accessing data that is
    reserved for authenticated users, obtaining cross-account data and
    executing functions that are reserved for other authenticated users,
    he said.

    So maybe the weakest link makes the server moot.


    Ah, fortune hits home:

    --
    Q: Why should you always serve a Southern Carolina football man
    soup in a plate?
    A: 'Cause if you give him a bowl, he'll throw it away.

  7. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > The fact that Windows has a large presence among back end banking and
    > other financial systems, without having a virus problem, shoots down
    > your whole line of argument.


    Tut tut, Tim, *your* argument doesn't sound right. Don't I remember
    there being a virus problem with a Windows banking system in Finland?
    Yes I do, here:
    http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...86-7491850_ITM
    'NORDIC BUSINESS REPORT-14 August 2003-Windows worm forces Nordea to
    close branch offices in Finland(C)1994-2003 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD
    http://www.m2.com'

    Ok, Tim, you may apologize now.

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

  8. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    Timo Pirinen wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> The fact that Windows has a large presence among back end banking and
    >> other financial systems, without having a virus problem, shoots down
    >> your whole line of argument.

    >
    > Tut tut, Tim, *your* argument doesn't sound right. Don't I remember
    > there being a virus problem with a Windows banking system in Finland?
    > Yes I do, here:
    > http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...86-7491850_ITM
    > 'NORDIC BUSINESS REPORT-14 August 2003-Windows worm forces Nordea to
    > close branch offices in Finland(C)1994-2003 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD
    > http://www.m2.com'
    >
    > Ok, Tim, you may apologize now.


    A 5 year old link? What a Linux luser.

    Meanwhile: http://linuxmint.com/, 8/15/2008, "Our server was hacked and code
    was injected into it to make connections on our behalf to pinoc.org and
    download a trojan called JS/Tenia.d"








  9. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?

    DFS wrote:
    > Timo Pirinen wrote:
    >> Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> The fact that Windows has a large presence among back end banking and
    >>> other financial systems, without having a virus problem, shoots down
    >>> your whole line of argument.

    >> Tut tut, Tim, *your* argument doesn't sound right. Don't I remember
    >> there being a virus problem with a Windows banking system in Finland?
    >> Yes I do, here:
    >> http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...86-7491850_ITM
    >> 'NORDIC BUSINESS REPORT-14 August 2003-Windows worm forces Nordea to
    >> close branch offices in Finland(C)1994-2003 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD
    >> http://www.m2.com'
    >>
    >> Ok, Tim, you may apologize now.

    >
    > A 5 year old link? What a Linux luser.
    >
    > Meanwhile: http://linuxmint.com/, 8/15/2008, "Our server was hacked and code
    > was injected into it to make connections on our behalf to pinoc.org and
    > download a trojan called JS/Tenia.d"


    DFS moving the goalposts, as usual. Can you find any news about Linux
    virus problem among back end banking and other financial systems? No you
    can't.

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

  10. Re: So where's all the Linux viruses?



    Firey Bird wrote:
    > Why aren't there many Linux viruses? Some people claim it's because
    > Linux is a "small target". There aren't nearly as many Linux boxes as
    > there are Windows machines, so the virus writers go for the bigger
    > target. If the number of Linux machines increased substantially, so
    > this wisdom goes, the number of Linux viruses would very quickly rise as
    > the virus writers homed in on the next big thing.
    >
    > That's a load of old cobblers, say I.
    >
    > There are quite a few Linux-haters out there. Just look at the idiots
    > we get in here! It's apparent that many of the haters are in the
    > computing business, and a fair number are technically proficient. So
    > there will be a reasonable number who are good coders, and who are/could
    > be reasonable virus writers.
    >
    > Its security is one of Linux's major attractions. I love watching
    > newbies on Ubuntuforums, expressing delighted shock at the discovery
    > that Ubuntu needs antivirus software only to keep other Windows users
    > safe. A large, sustained presence of Linux-killing viruses on the
    > internet would take away its chief attractions and discredit all those
    > experts who have been saying so loudly and for so long that Linux is
    > inherently more secure than Windows. So why aren't all the anti-Linux
    > coders churning out the Tux-busters?
    >
    > Because it is no mean feat to create effective Tux-busters. Linux's
    > multi-user heritage, its permissions system and its file structure make
    > it a very difficult target. If Linux was as vulnerable as Windows, the
    > rabid haters would have blown it away long ago. They haven't because
    > they can't. Linux is bullet-proof!!


    There might be some linux/unix viruses, but they are rear and far
    between. And our community is strong enough to take them out. Most
    linux user don't surf online using root account which is why viruses
    don't affect us. However, Linux & OSX are inherently more secure
    Microsoft Windows.

    No competition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8