Linux: no reboots required... - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: no reboots required... - Linux ; ....unless you actually want to use your locked up computer. ======================================== "I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would increase performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use this laptop for ...

  1. Linux: no reboots required...

    ....unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.

    "I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would increase
    performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use this laptop for
    multimedia in my living room, by connecting it to the TV and Hifi system.

    I am new to Linux and started trying out Ubuntu since it seem to be a
    popular distro. Well, it freezes during startup or shortly after. I then
    tried Kubuntu, switching from GNOME to KDE.... and the same thing happens.

    Then I tried Linux Mint, a distro I think is based on Ubuntu, and it worked
    the whole weekend. But on monday (of course), the same thing happens, the
    computer hangs every time I try to start it up.

    I am so close to reinstalling WinXP... please help"

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...istros-663578/

    Linux: crappy as it ever was

  2. Re: Linux: no reboots required...

    "DFS" schreef in bericht
    news:O7oIk.47072$rD2.3947@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .

    > ...unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.

    > "I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would
    > increase
    > performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use this laptop for
    > multimedia in my living room, by connecting it to the TV and Hifi system.
    >
    > I am new to Linux and started trying out Ubuntu since it seem to be a
    > popular distro. Well, it freezes during startup or shortly after. I then
    > tried Kubuntu, switching from GNOME to KDE.... and the same thing happens.
    >
    > Then I tried Linux Mint, a distro I think is based on Ubuntu, and it
    > worked
    > the whole weekend. But on monday (of course), the same thing happens, the
    > computer hangs every time I try to start it up.
    >
    > I am so close to reinstalling WinXP... please help"
    >

    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...istros-663578/

    > Linux: crappy as it ever was

    "Linux is perfect at everything"; Peter Köhlmann: "It is"
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....&output=gplain

  3. Vista: Turn your gaming rig into a paperweight (was: Linux: noreboots required...)

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:51:49 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ...unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.

    > "I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would
    > increase performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use this
    > laptop for multimedia in my living room, by connecting it to the TV and
    > Hifi system.
    >
    > I am new to Linux and started trying out Ubuntu since it seem to be a
    > popular distro. Well, it freezes during startup or shortly after. I then
    > tried Kubuntu, switching from GNOME to KDE.... and the same thing
    > happens.
    >
    > Then I tried Linux Mint, a distro I think is based on Ubuntu, and it
    > worked the whole weekend. But on monday (of course), the same thing
    > happens, the computer hangs every time I try to start it up.
    >
    > I am so close to reinstalling WinXP... please help"
    >

    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d-handheld-25/

    linux-freezes-on-acer-travelmate-8000-tried-several-distros-663578/

    > Linux: crappy as it ever was

    "Once the Vista upgrade was complete the freezes started immediately. The
    OS freezes every 2-3 minutes for 30 seconds at a time. All open windows
    and Applications freeze, I can not open the start menu or click on any
    desktop Icons and after the 30 second mark everything carries on as
    normal as if nothing is wrong. When the freeze starts I can only open the
    task manager via ctrl alt delete and if I immediately close task manager
    the freeze goes away immediately without having to wait 30 seconds."

    "I have just encountered the same problem as the original poster, and I'm
    trying to lock down a solution now. I will be doing some more research
    and contacting Microsoft as well. As part of my maintenance cycle I
    routinely run a check disk, as well as defrag, temp file clean-up, etc.
    The issue began after this last string of patches, and I read somewhere
    that a similar (if not the same) issue was reported after a previous
    security patch was released when Vista first came out."

    http://www.techimo.com/forum/applica...ems/208921-xp-
    vista-freezes-randomly-30-seconds-time.html

    Windows: crappy as it ever was

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  4. Re: Vista: Turn your gaming rig into a paperweight

    skydweller wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:51:49 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ...unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.

    >> "I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would
    >> increase performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use this
    >> laptop for multimedia in my living room, by connecting it to the TV and
    >> Hifi system.
    >>
    >> I am new to Linux and started trying out Ubuntu since it seem to be a
    >> popular distro. Well, it freezes during startup or shortly after. I then
    >> tried Kubuntu, switching from GNOME to KDE.... and the same thing
    >> happens.
    >>
    >> Then I tried Linux Mint, a distro I think is based on Ubuntu, and it
    >> worked the whole weekend. But on monday (of course), the same thing
    >> happens, the computer hangs every time I try to start it up.
    >>
    >> I am so close to reinstalling WinXP... please help"
    >>

    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d-handheld-25/

    > linux-freezes-on-acer-travelmate-8000-tried-several-distros-663578/
    >>

    >> Linux: crappy as it ever was

    > "Once the Vista upgrade was complete the freezes started immediately. The
    > OS freezes every 2-3 minutes for 30 seconds at a time. All open windows
    > and Applications freeze, I can not open the start menu or click on any
    > desktop Icons and after the 30 second mark everything carries on as
    > normal as if nothing is wrong. When the freeze starts I can only open the
    > task manager via ctrl alt delete and if I immediately close task manager
    > the freeze goes away immediately without having to wait 30 seconds."

    > "I have just encountered the same problem as the original poster, and I'm
    > trying to lock down a solution now. I will be doing some more research
    > and contacting Microsoft as well. As part of my maintenance cycle I
    > routinely run a check disk, as well as defrag, temp file clean-up, etc.
    > The issue began after this last string of patches, and I read somewhere
    > that a similar (if not the same) issue was reported after a previous
    > security patch was released when Vista first came out."
    >
    > http://www.techimo.com/forum/applica...ems/208921-xp-
    > vista-freezes-randomly-30-seconds-time.html
    >
    > Windows: crappy as it ever was

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

  5. Re: Vista: Turn your gaming rig into a paperweight (was: Linux: no reboots required...)

    skydweller wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:51:49 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ...unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.

    >> "I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would
    >> increase performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use
    >> this laptop for multimedia in my living room, by connecting it to
    >> the TV and Hifi system.
    >>
    >> I am new to Linux and started trying out Ubuntu since it seem to be a
    >> popular distro. Well, it freezes during startup or shortly after. I
    >> then tried Kubuntu, switching from GNOME to KDE.... and the same
    >> thing happens.
    >>
    >> Then I tried Linux Mint, a distro I think is based on Ubuntu, and it
    >> worked the whole weekend. But on monday (of course), the same thing
    >> happens, the computer hangs every time I try to start it up.
    >>
    >> I am so close to reinstalling WinXP... please help"
    >>

    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d-handheld-25/

    > linux-freezes-on-acer-travelmate-8000-tried-several-distros-663578/

    >> Linux: crappy as it ever was

    > "Once the Vista upgrade was complete the freezes started immediately.
    > The OS freezes every 2-3 minutes for 30 seconds at a time. All open
    > windows and Applications freeze, I can not open the start menu or
    > click on any desktop Icons and after the 30 second mark everything
    > carries on as normal as if nothing is wrong. When the freeze starts I
    > can only open the task manager via ctrl alt delete and if I
    > immediately close task manager the freeze goes away immediately
    > without having to wait 30 seconds."

    > "I have just encountered the same problem as the original poster, and
    > I'm trying to lock down a solution now. I will be doing some more
    > research and contacting Microsoft as well. As part of my maintenance
    > cycle I routinely run a check disk, as well as defrag, temp file
    > clean-up, etc. The issue began after this last string of patches, and
    > I read somewhere that a similar (if not the same) issue was reported
    > after a previous security patch was released when Vista first came
    > out."
    >
    > http://www.techimo.com/forum/applica...ems/208921-xp-
    > vista-freezes-randomly-30-seconds-time.html
    >
    > Windows: crappy as it ever was

    That's obviously a lie posted by a Linux luser.

  6. Re: Linux: no reboots required...

    DFS wrote:

    > ...unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.

    > "I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would increase
    > performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use this laptop for
    > multimedia in my living room, by connecting it to the TV and Hifi system.
    >
    > I am new to Linux and started trying out Ubuntu since it seem to be a
    > popular distro. Well, it freezes during startup or shortly after. I then
    > tried Kubuntu, switching from GNOME to KDE.... and the same thing happens.
    >
    > Then I tried Linux Mint, a distro I think is based on Ubuntu, and it worked
    > the whole weekend. But on monday (of course), the same thing happens, the
    > computer hangs every time I try to start it up.
    >
    > I am so close to reinstalling WinXP... please help"
    >

    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...istros-663578/

    > Linux: crappy as it ever was

    When Ubuntu 8.04 came out, there was a problem with it freezing. This
    was down to the proprietary flash player 9, and pulseaudio. Adoption of
    flash 10 is largely putting all this right. I can't remember the last
    time my desktop computer freezed up. My sub-notebook (eeepc 4G running
    hardy) has
    frozen a few
    times - it still uses flash 9 - but I'm sure when I replace 8.04.1 with
    8.10, the eeepc will be as stable as my other machine.

  7. Re: Linux: no reboots required...

    Firey Bird wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> ...unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.
    >>

    > When Ubuntu 8.04 came out, there was a problem with it freezing. This
    > was down to the proprietary flash player 9, and pulseaudio.

    Maybe for you that was the fix, but that was most definitely NOT the source
    of the freezing. In fact, 1.5 years later the Ubuntu crapware developers
    still haven't figured out what the problem is.

    Example: "Finally solved my freezing issue! It had something to do with my
    pcspeaker."

    On a positive note, Linux scales well. Each new release of the Ubuntu
    slopware generates approx. 7-8 pages per month of freezing complaints on
    www.ubuntuforums.org, until the next release restarts the complaint fury.

    86 pages of complaints about Feisty 7.04 freezing up

    65 pages of complaints about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    48 pages of complaints about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    #18: "I installed hardy two days ago the freeze issue is unbearable."

    #128: "I'm tired of these damn freezes! Working is impossible for now..."

    #132: "This is really annoying!!!"

    #134: "It's not fair.."

    > Adoption
    > of flash 10 is largely putting all this right. I can't remember the
    > last time my desktop computer freezed up.

    Samples of one mean nothing in the face of the many hundreds of victims
    reporting their freeze problems on www.ubuntuforums.org

    > My sub-notebook (eeepc 4G
    > running hardy) has > frozen a few > times - it still uses flash 9 - but
    > I'm sure when I replace 8.04.1
    > with > 8.10, the eeepc will be as stable as my other machine.

    Keep hope alive! Meantime, no less than 4 of the tiny number of
    "advocates*" on cola have now admitted to experiencing Ubuntu freezing
    issues.

  8. Re: Linux: no reboots required...

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:52:18 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Firey Bird wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ...unless you actually want to use your locked up computer.
    >>>

    >> When Ubuntu 8.04 came out, there was a problem with it freezing. This
    >> was down to the proprietary flash player 9, and pulseaudio.

    > Maybe for you that was the fix, but that was most definitely NOT the source
    > of the freezing. In fact, 1.5 years later the Ubuntu crapware developers
    > still haven't figured out what the problem is.
    >
    > Example: "Finally solved my freezing issue! It had something to do with my
    > pcspeaker."
    >
    > On a positive note, Linux scales well. Each new release of the Ubuntu
    > slopware generates approx. 7-8 pages per month of freezing complaints on
    > www.ubuntuforums.org, until the next release restarts the complaint fury.
    >
    > 86 pages of complaints about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >
    > 65 pages of complaints about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >
    > 48 pages of complaints about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >

    > #18: "I installed hardy two days ago the freeze issue is unbearable."
    >
    > #128: "I'm tired of these damn freezes! Working is impossible for now..."
    >
    > #132: "This is really annoying!!!"
    >
    > #134: "It's not fair.."
    >

    >> Adoption
    >> of flash 10 is largely putting all this right. I can't remember the
    >> last time my desktop computer freezed up.

    > Samples of one mean nothing in the face of the many hundreds of victims
    > reporting their freeze problems on www.ubuntuforums.org
    >

    >> My sub-notebook (eeepc 4G
    >> running hardy) has > frozen a few > times - it still uses flash 9 - but
    >> I'm sure when I replace 8.04.1
    >> with > 8.10, the eeepc will be as stable as my other machine.

    > Keep hope alive! Meantime, no less than 4 of the tiny number of
    > "advocates*" on cola have now admitted to experiencing Ubuntu freezing
    > issues.

    The problem with Ubuntu, and I'm new to Ubuntu, is that there are too many
    variables.
    There must be 5 different methods to get eye candy working, then there is
    pulse audio, beryl/compiz and if that were not enough, you can download the
    basic Ubuntu and then also incorporate the customizations from targeted
    versions of Ubuntu like UbuntuStudio.

    This makes for a kettle of fish that is very difficult to manage and even
    more impossible to troubleshoot.

    Add to this that the search function on the Ubuntu site brings up old,
    outdated and potentially dangerous procedures for managing the system and
    you have all the trappings of a nightmare.

    My system has been rock solid for the most part, however I have compiz
    turned off and disabled pulse audio.
    My needs are also very simple as my Windows system handles my audio work.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Linux: no reboots required...

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:52:18 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Firey Bird wrote:

    >>> When Ubuntu 8.04 came out, there was a problem with it freezing. This
    >>> was down to the proprietary flash player 9, and pulseaudio.

    >> Maybe for you that was the fix, but that was most definitely NOT the source
    >> of the freezing. In fact, 1.5 years later the Ubuntu crapware developers
    >> still haven't figured out what the problem is.
    >>
    >> Example: "Finally solved my freezing issue! It had something to do with my
    >> pcspeaker."
    >>
    >> On a positive note, Linux scales well. Each new release of the Ubuntu
    >> slopware generates approx. 7-8 pages per month of freezing complaints on
    >> www.ubuntuforums.org, until the next release restarts the complaint fury.
    >>
    >> 86 pages of complaints about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >>
    >> 65 pages of complaints about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>
    >> 48 pages of complaints about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>

    >> #18: "I installed hardy two days ago the freeze issue is unbearable."
    >>
    >> #128: "I'm tired of these damn freezes! Working is impossible for now..."
    >>
    >> #132: "This is really annoying!!!"
    >>
    >> #134: "It's not fair.."
    >>

    >>> Adoption
    >>> of flash 10 is largely putting all this right. I can't remember the
    >>> last time my desktop computer freezed up.

    >> Samples of one mean nothing in the face of the many hundreds of victims
    >> reporting their freeze problems on www.ubuntuforums.org
    >>

    >>> My sub-notebook (eeepc 4G
    >>> running hardy) has > frozen a few > times - it still uses flash 9 - but
    >>> I'm sure when I replace 8.04.1
    >>> with > 8.10, the eeepc will be as stable as my other machine.

    >> Keep hope alive! Meantime, no less than 4 of the tiny number of
    >> "advocates*" on cola have now admitted to experiencing Ubuntu freezing
    >> issues.

    > The problem with Ubuntu, and I'm new to Ubuntu, is that there are too many
    > variables.
    > There must be 5 different methods to get eye candy working, then there is
    > pulse audio, beryl/compiz and if that were not enough, you can download the
    > basic Ubuntu and then also incorporate the customizations from targeted
    > versions of Ubuntu like UbuntuStudio.
    >
    > This makes for a kettle of fish that is very difficult to manage and even
    > more impossible to troubleshoot.
    >
    > Add to this that the search function on the Ubuntu site brings up old,
    > outdated and potentially dangerous procedures for managing the system and
    > you have all the trappings of a nightmare.
    >
    > My system has been rock solid for the most part, however I have compiz
    > turned off and disabled pulse audio.
    > My needs are also very simple as my Windows system handles my audio
    > work.

    One of the biggest problems with Ubuntu is the noise. The groups are
    full of idiots like Willy all trying to get their moment of fame and
    handing out half arsed Howtos which end up being impossible to undo.

    Debian is much better in that respect although I suspect that will
    change now its installer actually works for the average nOOb. Mind you,
    liarnut has already been passing out bad information on how to use the
    nvidia installer in the debian groups. And of course he refused to
    listen to why this was super bad.

    --
    "I've heard "Linux is the future!" for, let me see now, must about 17 years. For how long do I need to listen to that clap trap?"
    -- Ruby Murray in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  10. Re: Linux: no reboots required...

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:55:18 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:52:18 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Firey Bird wrote:

    >>> When Ubuntu 8.04 came out, there was a problem with it freezing. This
    >>> was down to the proprietary flash player 9, and pulseaudio.

    >> Maybe for you that was the fix, but that was most definitely NOT the source
    >> of the freezing. In fact, 1.5 years later the Ubuntu crapware developers
    >> still haven't figured out what the problem is.
    >>
    >> Example: "Finally solved my freezing issue! It had something to do with my
    >> pcspeaker."
    >>
    >> On a positive note, Linux scales well. Each new release of the Ubuntu
    >> slopware generates approx. 7-8 pages per month of freezing complaints on
    >> www.ubuntuforums.org, until the next release restarts the complaint fury.
    >>
    >> 86 pages of complaints about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >>
    >> 65 pages of complaints about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>
    >> 48 pages of complaints about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>

    >> #18: "I installed hardy two days ago the freeze issue is unbearable."
    >>
    >> #128: "I'm tired of these damn freezes! Working is impossible for now..."
    >>
    >> #132: "This is really annoying!!!"
    >>
    >> #134: "It's not fair.."
    >>

    >>> Adoption
    >>> of flash 10 is largely putting all this right. I can't remember the
    >>> last time my desktop computer freezed up.

    >> Samples of one mean nothing in the face of the many hundreds of victims
    >> reporting their freeze problems on www.ubuntuforums.org
    >>

    >>> My sub-notebook (eeepc 4G
    >>> running hardy) has > frozen a few > times - it still uses flash 9 - but
    >>> I'm sure when I replace 8.04.1
    >>> with > 8.10, the eeepc will be as stable as my other machine.

    >> Keep hope alive! Meantime, no less than 4 of the tiny number of
    >> "advocates*" on cola have now admitted to experiencing Ubuntu freezing
    >> issues.

    > The problem with Ubuntu, and I'm new to Ubuntu, is that there are too many
    > variables.

    It doesn't matter. Most other distros have similar problems.
    If you think Ubuntu is complicated, wait until you try Gentoo. ;-)

    > There must be 5 different methods to get eye candy working,

    Depends on the eye candy. I count 6 methods just to get
    X started, depending on user or system administrative
    preferences.

    [1] X. This is admittedly not the preferred method, but
    works in a pinch, especially when testing a new window
    manager (very very rare nowadays, though there's probably
    a hacker or two out there who might want to try it!).
    [2] xinit.
    [3] startx.
    [4] xdm/greeter/session. This is arguably the preferred method,
    and on Gentoo is very easily set up. I doubt Ubuntu is
    much harder but would have to fiddle.
    [5] xchooser, a bit arcane and insecure, but suitable for LANs
    with sufficient firewalling.
    [6] For those into esoterica, there's Xvfb that generates a
    display-less X server (if one wants to see what
    is drawn, one can either have it dump a file or
    look into a shared memory region), and Xnest which
    creates a window and then emulates an X server,
    translating requests to the slave X server into drawing
    instructions for that window.

    A few more are added if one substitutes gdm or kdm for
    xdm, or X proxies such as ssh/sshd. I'm also not quite up
    on the details regarding xchooser, and it's not a horribly
    secure option at this time; far better to just use 'ssh -X'
    (or 'ssh -CXY') to talk to a server machine through an
    encrypted tunnel, if one's unsure about packet sniffers,
    packet injectors, server impersonators, or other such,
    between here and there.

    All this is not specific to Ubuntu, BTW.

    Depending on X start method, one may also use startkde or
    gnome-session to fire up the appropriate GUI environment.
    If one prefers Motif, mwm should work, though there might
    be a session wrapper; I'd have to look.

    Way too complicated, obviously. Even Win3.1 is too complicated
    for most; typing in "WIN" was all that was needed back then.

    > then there is
    > pulse audio,

    Pulseaudio, ALSA, and OSS come to mind as possible audio
    subsystems in Linux. These are of varying functionality.
    (My main ALSA complaint: the microphone is not working on
    my laptop. OSS worked reasonably well for that until ALSA
    came in. I've not tried Pulseaudio.)

    > beryl/compiz and if that were not enough, you can download the
    > basic Ubuntu and then also incorporate the customizations from targeted
    > versions of Ubuntu like UbuntuStudio.

    Exactly. Way too complicated for a poor Joe. Even Microsoft's
    6 distros might give him pause (as exaggerated by a certain
    Apple commercial), but at least he can then use the preloads
    until the machine crashes and he has to buy a new one. ;-)

    Of course Windows never crashes anyway. ;-) Right?

    > This makes for a kettle of fish that is very difficult to manage and even
    > more impossible to troubleshoot.

    That it does; far better to just have one version of
    everything. Microsoft is well ahead on that particular
    road; its main problem of course is that it cannot enforce
    its choice above all others in all cases (though it can
    in many cases, e.g., Windows Media Player, if certain
    legal elements would just get out of the way and let them
    monopolize....erm, I mean, simplify...everything).

    And then there are those pesky accusations of
    monopolization (as distinct from monopoly; it's a subtle
    but important difference) and undue influence.

    I hope you like Windows. ;-)

    > Add to this that the search function on the Ubuntu site brings up old,
    > outdated and potentially dangerous procedures for managing the system and
    > you have all the trappings of a nightmare.

    Contact them and have them use this search engine:
    http://www.live.com/
    :-)

    > My system has been rock solid for the most part, however I have compiz
    > turned off and disabled pulse audio.
    > My needs are also very simple as my Windows system handles my audio work.

    OK, dumb question: why are you using Linux [#] at all?
    What exactly does it bring to your user experience?
    Computer system? Job solutions? Software costs
    and benefits?

    *ANYTHING* that runs on Linux can run on Windows as well,
    with sufficient NRE (and possibly an NDA, depending, plus
    additional RAM, hardware, and software), plus relaxation
    of the requirements[*] [+]. This is not to say Windows is the
    best platform, but remember that Windows is [supposedly]
    POSIX-compliant, and with additional packages such as
    cygwin/Xorg or cygwin/XFree86 and MS Office, one can
    duplicate most Linux functionality, and extend the
    monopoly.

    Whether such is worth doing, of course, is in the eye of
    the system integrator. If someone can prove me wrong,
    I'd be very curious; the only thing I can think of offhand
    is compiz, which is done very well in the Linux world.
    However, Vista is working on it, and already is touting
    a 3-D "flipper" capability. I'm not all that fond of
    compiz anyway, though it can make for pretty eye candy,
    and might be somewhat useful for organization of one's
    workspace, though I already have a solution for that; it's
    Gnome's Workspace switcher, which in my system manifests
    as a subdivided set of rectangles, each representing
    a workspace, near the bottom right of my screen.

    [#] or any component such as bash, OpenOffice, KDE,
    Gnome, or X, that runs thereon.
    [*] this does not include a solution such as coLinux
    or VmWare, which is a form of cheating, encapsulating
    a Linux environment within a Windows one. However,
    such environments may prove useful to some; Linux also
    has VmWare capability, as well as QEMU. There are
    also issues regarding transferability of information
    (specifically, cut/copy and paste) from the subbox to
    the main box.

    [+] there are issues if one wants to use open source
    formats such as ODF; I am not certain that Microsoft
    Word can as yet generate such formats. Of course there
    are substitute formats such as OOXML that should work
    for most -- if they don't mind the fact that OOXML is
    very very unwieldly to actually implement.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  11. Re: Linux: no reboots required...

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:03:46 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> Maybe for you that was the fix, but that was most definitely NOT the source
    >>> of the freezing. In fact, 1.5 years later the Ubuntu crapware developers
    >>> still haven't figured out what the problem is.
    >>>
    >>> Example: "Finally solved my freezing issue! It had something to do with my
    >>> pcspeaker."
    >>>
    >>> On a positive note, Linux scales well. Each new release of the Ubuntu
    >>> slopware generates approx. 7-8 pages per month of freezing complaints on
    >>> www.ubuntuforums.org, until the next release restarts the complaint fury.
    >>>
    >>> 86 pages of complaints about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125
    >>>
    >>> 65 pages of complaints about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>>
    >>> 48 pages of complaints about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>>

    >>> #18: "I installed hardy two days ago the freeze issue is unbearable."
    >>>
    >>> #128: "I'm tired of these damn freezes! Working is impossible for now..."
    >>>
    >>> #132: "This is really annoying!!!"
    >>>
    >>> #134: "It's not fair.."

    >>> Samples of one mean nothing in the face of the many hundreds of victims
    >>> reporting their freeze problems on www.ubuntuforums.org

    >>> Keep hope alive! Meantime, no less than 4 of the tiny number of
    >>> "advocates*" on cola have now admitted to experiencing Ubuntu freezing
    >>> issues.

    >> The problem with Ubuntu, and I'm new to Ubuntu, is that there are too many
    >> variables.
    >> There must be 5 different methods to get eye candy working, then there is
    >> pulse audio, beryl/compiz and if that were not enough, you can download the
    >> basic Ubuntu and then also incorporate the customizations from targeted
    >> versions of Ubuntu like UbuntuStudio.
    >>
    >> This makes for a kettle of fish that is very difficult to manage and even
    >> more impossible to troubleshoot.
    >>
    >> Add to this that the search function on the Ubuntu site brings up old,
    >> outdated and potentially dangerous procedures for managing the system and
    >> you have all the trappings of a nightmare.
    >>
    >> My system has been rock solid for the most part, however I have compiz
    >> turned off and disabled pulse audio.
    >> My needs are also very simple as my Windows system handles my audio
    >> work.

    > One of the biggest problems with Ubuntu is the noise. The groups are
    > full of idiots like Willy all trying to get their moment of fame and
    > handing out half arsed Howtos which end up being impossible to undo.

    That is most definately true.
    It's like the wild, wild west in the Ubuntu forums.

    > Debian is much better in that respect although I suspect that will
    > change now its installer actually works for the average nOOb. Mind you,
    > liarnut has already been passing out bad information on how to use the
    > nvidia installer in the debian groups. And of course he refused to
    > listen to why this was super bad.

    I saw that thread.
    His advice is a sure fire method for killing x completely.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/