[News] The Acaciasoft Patent Troll Busy Attacking Other Microsoft Rival - Linux

  1. [News] The Acaciasoft Patent Troll Busy Attacking Other Microsoft Rival

    IP Innovation v Red Hat and Novell - 1 Year Later

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The fact that patent litigation follows this process explains something I
    | noticed. Guess who else IP Innovation has been suing in Texas in addition to
    | Red Hat and Novell? Google and Apple [PDF] and Dell [PDF], but Apple got all
    | claims against it, regarding the '412 patent, dismissed in mid-June, without
    | even having to file an answer.
    `----

    Recent:

    Tech Guru Riles the Industry By Seeking Huge Patent Fees

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Millionaire Nathan Myhrvold, renowned in the computer industry as a
    | Renaissance man, has a less lofty message for tech companies these days: Pay
    | up.
    |
    | Over the past few years, the former Microsoft Corp. executive has quietly
    | amassed a trove of 20,000-plus patents and patent applications related to
    | everything from lasers to computer chips. He now ranks among the world's
    | largest patent-holders -- and is using that clout to press tech giants to
    | sign some of the costliest patent-licensing deals ever negotiated.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1221...googlenews_wsj

    Controversial patent buyer to start Indian operations in Oct

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | New Delhi: Individual inventors and research organizations here may find
    | their patents turning liquid with the imminent entry of Intellectual Ventures
    | Llc., a controversial company that owns an estimated 20,000 patents and is in
    | the market for as many more as it can lay its hands on.
    |
    | The company has already entered into agreements to buy patents from the
    | Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Indian Institute of Technology,
    | Bombay, and is close to signing an agreement with the Council for Scientific
    | and Industrial Research, India’s largest research and development
    | organization, said a person familiar with the developments who did not want
    | to be named.
    `----

    http://www.livemint.com/2008/09/2500...-buyer-to.html

    Intellectual Ventures turns its attention to India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intellectual Ventures is moving into India says a report published this
    | weekend. According to the Wall Street Journal’s Livemint Lounge, IV has
    | signed deals to acquire patents from the Indian Institute of Science,
    | Bangalore, IIT in Bombay, while it is close to signing an agreement with
    | Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
    |
    | What the report does not say is whether this is a deal for Indian patents,
    | for US patents or for patents internationally. My guess is that there is
    | going to have to be a pretty substantial international element. On that
    | front, it is worth noting that CSIR is by far the biggest Indian filer of
    | international patent applications, filing over 350 in the US alone between
    | 2005 and 2007.
    `----

    http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Det...9-a7b63e1fdd44

    Litigating against innovation: Legal attacks on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Patents and how they're controlled are damaging the way technology is
    | developed - and the Linux case is a key example of this.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Litigation as a mode of business is fashionable in the current climate, but
    | offers little or nothing of benefit to users or developers. Authorial
    | copyrights in the US have been extended to 70 years after the author's death.
    | The law that made this possible, the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act,
    | was passed in 1998. Patent law, meanwhile, increasingly protects the
    | interests of the powerful, encroaches upon notions of innovation and freedom
    | to operate, and is used to inhibit competition. Both are in critical need of
    | reform.
    `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/1997...-on-linux.html

    Memo to Microsoft: Put up or shut up on patent claims

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They have signed innumerable contracts based on the claims, contracts which
    | assume the truth of the claims, and caused the production of products whose
    | chief *selling point is that their makers admit the legitimacy of the claims.
    |
    | Microsoft seems in no hurry to change the status quo. They are not going to
    | put up, in the form of a lawsuit. They are not going to shut up, either,
    | given the commercial advantages they have created.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2460

    'PatentGate,' one year later: Microsoft against the open-source world

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Claiming you have IP that folks are infringing isn't the same thing as
    | proving it," wrote Pamela Jones, author of the open-source legal blog
    | Groklaw.net, in an e-mail. "I think they [Microsoft] are in a weaker position
    | because they did the [cross-licensing] deals. It makes them look needy,
    | like they can't make it any more without Linux."
    |
    | "The [legal] threat [to open-source] is no greater" today than a year ago,
    | wrote Mark Radcliffe, a lawyer with DLA Piper's Silicon Valley office and the
    | general counsel of the Open Source Initiative, which oversees the approval of
    | open-source software licenses, in an e-mail.
    |
    | Take Redmond's attempts to persuade vendors to sign cross-licensing deals
    | that include protection from potential open-source patent lawsuits by
    | Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    Related:

    Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
    | unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
    | executive for Sun Microsystems.
    `----

    Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
    | market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
    | at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
    |
    | The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
    | software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
    | with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
    | beginning to show.
    `----

    http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?...soft_Terrorism

    Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
    | it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
    | is to provoke fear.
    |
    | If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
    | you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
    | of the American people as they never have before in the history of
    | the country.
    `----

    http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

  2. Re: [News] The Acaciasoft Patent Troll Busy Attacking Other MicrosoftRival

    > IP Innovation v Red Hat and Novell - 1 Year Later
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The fact that patent litigation follows this process explains
    > | something I noticed. Guess who else IP Innovation has been suing in
    > | Texas in addition to Red Hat and Novell? Google and Apple [PDF] and
    > | Dell [PDF], but Apple got all claims against it, regarding the '412
    > | patent, dismissed in mid-June, without even having to file an
    > | answer.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...81010043532860

    I don't think obvious patent Trolls like this should just be rebuked and
    dismissed. AFAIAC they are criminals who need to be actually punished; I
    mean /really/ punished as felons ... with scam-crushing fines and actual
    jail time. It's not like there can be any ambiguity about what gangsters
    like IPI LLC are up to. Would the American justice system simply brush a
    lottery scammer or bait'n'switch conman to one side, or pursue them with
    a sharply-ground axe?

    Should I even bother asking, given how misaligned US justice is with the
    tenets of morality these days?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:30:27 up 2 days, 12:26, 3 users, load average: 4.13, 4.07, 4.09

+ Reply to Thread