[News] KDE4 Maturing and Looking Good - Linux

  1. [News] KDE4 Maturing and Looking Good

    Learning to like KDE again

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It was only a short matter of time after making that announcement before KDE
    | 4.1 was released. And with that release have come new releases of
    | distributions that use it. An excellent example of a KDE 4.1 DE/distribution
    | release is, in my opinion, Mandriva 2009. The more I work with the latest
    | version of Mandriva and KDE 4.1.2 the more comfortable I am with the entire
    | distribution. I honestly haven't felt this good about a Linux distribution
    | using KDE since openSUSE 10.2 and KDE 3.
    `----

    http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2008/1...kde-again.html

    Last.fm Player for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Initially after setting up Mandriva, I was using the fabulous Amarok media
    | player to listen to my LastFM streams, but I just didn’t have the flexibility
    | that I have with the official last.fm player. I checked the repositories, and
    | sure enough, Mandriva had the official player packaged.
    `----

    http://jaysonrowe.wordpress.com/2008...yer-for-linux/

    MySQL in Amarok 2 - The Reality

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I want to point out first that I said that MySQL is going to be Amarok's only
    | SQL backend. A2's collection system is very powerful. Just take a look at how
    | varied music sources from Shoutcast, Jamendo, Magnatune, Ampache, MP3Tunes,
    | as well as local sources like iPods and your local file system, are treated
    | as equals in A2. A collection is a collection, and is limited only by what
    | capabilities it advertises it can support (and of course, it can supply its
    | own custom capabilities). It's not currently enabled, I don't think, but
    | there's a Nepomuk-based collection option too. So take heart -- this change
    | only affects Amarok's internal SQL collection, and not other sources
    | (although those sources can store information in the SQL database if they
    | wish to cache information).
    `----

    http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...e-Reality.html

    Related:

    Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
    | fully deployed and in active use.
    |
    | By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
    | serving some 52,000,000 students.
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

  2. Re: [News] KDE4 Maturing and Looking Good

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:52:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Learning to like KDE again

    Again?

    What happened the first time?

    Oh, I see you actually tried it.
    Yea I can understand that.

    KDE is kinda buggy, the 4.x versions that is.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] KDE4 Maturing and Looking Good

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:52:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Learning to like KDE again

    > Again?
    >
    > What happened the first time?
    >
    > Oh, I see you actually tried it.
    > Yea I can understand that.
    >
    > KDE is kinda buggy, the 4.x versions that is.

    And unlike microsoft proprietary products... it will get better and better.

    --

    ************************************************** ***************************

    From the desk of:
    Jerome D. McBride

    16:01:08 up 14 days, 20:18, 5 users, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00

    ************************************************** ***************************

  4. Re: [News] KDE4 Maturing and Looking Good

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:01:49 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:52:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Learning to like KDE again

    >> Again?
    >>
    >> What happened the first time?
    >>
    >> Oh, I see you actually tried it.
    >> Yea I can understand that.
    >>
    >> KDE is kinda buggy, the 4.x versions that is.
    >>

    > And unlike microsoft proprietary products... it will get better and better.

    I will get better in time I suppose.
    I didn't have any of the lockup and instability problems with the KDE 4.x
    in Mandriva 2009 compared to the KuBuntu with kde 4.x.

    Microsoft products get better with time as well.
    Just never buy v1.0 and wait for the SP1 instead.

    WinXP is better than Win2000, but not initially. SP1 fixed that.
    WinXP is better than Win98SE. That actually was better from the start/
    Vista is NOT better than WinXP IMHO, but it's getting there.

    The problem with Linux development currently is that they seem to be
    focusing far too much on eye candy and not enough on total integration, IOW
    things within the distribution playing nice in the sandbox with other
    things.

    Example: Ubuntu Hardy. Why so many dammed places to change things?
    It's confusing.
    So is Mandriva, and if that wasn't bad enough they put the launch icons
    right next to each other .
    Put all this stuff in ONE SINGLE PLACE, like Control Panel for example.

    That's a simple example.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: