[News] Ubuntu 8.10 Gets Decent Wallpaper, Better Windows Installer - Linux

  1. [News] Ubuntu 8.10 Gets Decent Wallpaper, Better Windows Installer

    Ubuntu 8.10 Has a Brand New Wallpaper

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mark Shuttleworth promised a new and breathtaking theme for the upcoming
    | Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
    | operating system, but until now we saw a dark and ugly one (NewHuman, also
    | know as DarkRoom) introduced in the first alpha release, which disappeared in
    | Alpha 4 and was replaced by an up-to-date version of the classical Human
    | Murrine theme. Later, in the Beta release,
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...er-95451.shtml

    Wubi-ing Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Beta

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One benefit I enjoy working at Tyler Projects was the freedom in choosing the
    | operating system I want. My PC is quite a powerful machine, with 2 GB ram and
    | dual cores. It ran Vista quite seamlessly. I decided to install Ubuntu Linux
    | I could have easily setup a dual boot but I decided to take this opportunity
    | to try out the Wubi installer for the first time. For those not in the know,
    | Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows
    | application, in a simple way that is hardly rocket science.
    `----

    http://linuxnus.org/2008/10/11/wubi-...intrepid-beta/

    Recent:

    The wallpapers that should make their ways to Intrepid Ibex

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | No more discussion on the new wallpaper that is probably going to be ported
    | with the next version of our favorite OS that is going to be released on 30th
    | October, 2008. Everyone agrees that the default wallpaper sucks! Ubuntu fans
    | were asking for a better theme and a default wallpaper but it seems that the
    | developers worked hard on how to make its apperance even worse. Here are some
    | Intrepid Ibex wallpapers floating around the internet and honestly each of
    | them deserves to be a default wallpaper for the upcoming Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/10/0...intrepid-ibex/

    First Look at Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Beta

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The next version of Ubuntu's free Linux operating system, dubbed "Intrepid
    | Ibex," is due out Oct. 30, but the beta release is up for grabs. Although the
    | desktop hasn't been reshaped, the features tweaked just a little bit, and
    | most of the work focused on compatibility and usability (not that those are
    | bad things, by any means), there are still some neat new tools and tweaks
    | that are worth checking out. Read on for our picture-filled take on the new
    | Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://lifehacker.com/5058730/first-...epid-ibex-beta

  2. Re: [News] Ubuntu 8.10 Gets Decent Wallpaper, Better Windows Installer

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:58:46 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Ubuntu 8.10 Has a Brand New Wallpaper

    Wow!

    That's big news!

    Did they fix the freezing and lockup problems many Linux Ubuntu users seem
    to be complaining of?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu 8.10 Gets Decent Wallpaper, Better Windows Installer

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Recent:
    >
    > The wallpapers that should make their ways to Intrepid Ibex
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | No more discussion on the new wallpaper that is probably going to be ported
    > | with the next version of our favorite OS that is going to be released on 30th
    > | October, 2008. Everyone agrees that the default wallpaper sucks! Ubuntu fans
    > | were asking for a better theme and a default wallpaper but it seems that the
    > | developers worked hard on how to make its apperance even worse. Here are some
    > | Intrepid Ibex wallpapers floating around the internet and honestly each of
    > | them deserves to be a default wallpaper for the upcoming Ubuntu.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/10/0...intrepid-ibex/

    Hilarious! Clueless no nothings with nothing better to do diverting the
    real developers to install their "wallpaper of choice".

    How embarrassing!

  4. Re: [News] Ubuntu 8.10 Gets Decent Wallpaper, Better Windows Installer

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 20:41:10 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >

    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> The wallpapers that should make their ways to Intrepid Ibex
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| No more discussion on the new wallpaper that is probably going to be ported
    >>| with the next version of our favorite OS that is going to be released on 30th
    >>| October, 2008. Everyone agrees that the default wallpaper sucks! Ubuntu fans
    >>| were asking for a better theme and a default wallpaper but it seems that the
    >>| developers worked hard on how to make its apperance even worse. Here are some
    >>| Intrepid Ibex wallpapers floating around the internet and honestly each of
    >>| them deserves to be a default wallpaper for the upcoming Ubuntu.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/10/0...intrepid-ibex/
    >>

    > Hilarious! Clueless no nothings with nothing better to do diverting the
    > real developers to install their "wallpaper of choice".
    >
    > How embarrassing!

    You would think they would spend time fixing the various problems the
    distribution has.

    Lately, Linux, sadly seems to be all about eye candy, 3d boxes and so forth
    and less about stability and ease of use.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/