UK Developers Prep Open-Source Alternative To Illumina GA’s Primary Analysis
Software

,----[ Quote ]
| A team of UK bioinformaticians is in the process of finalizing Swift, an
| open-source software package for primary analysis of second-generation
| sequencing data. The software was initially developed for Illumina data, but
| will eventually process SOLiD images too.
`----

http://www.bioinform.com/issues/12_4.../149961-1.html

Also in the UK (Free software in education):

The Open Learning Centre at the Woking Means Business show

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is a picture of our stand at the Woking Means Business show. Do you
| think we could fit a few more computers on it? Can you identify them all?
| There are actually two more under the desk that are not visible in the
| picture.
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008...business-show/

Recent:

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
| distribution in the UK, according to Context.
|
| Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ocket-per-cent

Dell UK launches systems with preinstalled Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/D...--/news/111164
http://tinyurl.com/577g6y