Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies - Linux

This is a discussion on Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies - Linux ; They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux. http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide references to Windows found throughout, one stood out: "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s

    I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:

    "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen reboots."

    hah! What lying bull****.

    Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies spewing
    forth.

  2. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:46:53 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    > http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s
    >
    > I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    > references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:
    >
    > "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen
    > reboots."
    >
    > hah! What lying bull****.
    >
    > Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies spewing
    > forth.

    You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    usually only requires a couple of reboots.

  3. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:46:53 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    >> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s
    >>
    >> I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    >> references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:
    >>
    >> "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen
    >> reboots."
    >>
    >> hah! What lying bull****.
    >>
    >> Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies
    >> spewing forth.

    > You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    > usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    You're a liar too, raytard.

    Generally (I'd say at least 80% of the time), it requires no reboots.

  4. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:33:01 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:46:53 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    >>> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s
    >>>
    >>> I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    >>> references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:
    >>>
    >>> "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen
    >>> reboots."
    >>>
    >>> hah! What lying bull****.
    >>>
    >>> Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies spewing
    >>> forth.

    >> You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    >> usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    > You're a liar too, raytard.
    >
    > Generally (I'd say at least 80% of the time), it requires no reboots.

    Ah, I see. Linux ONLY requires a reboot when you install a new kernel -
    for general software - never at all.

  5. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:10:15 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:33:01 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    >>> usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    >> You're a liar too, raytard.
    >>
    >> Generally (I'd say at least 80% of the time), it requires no reboots.

    > Ah, I see. Linux ONLY requires a reboot when you install a new kernel -
    > for general software - never at all.

    When installing vmware on Linux it had to compile 2 kernel
    modules. Was a reboot required? NO

    My brother called this evening. He's computer illiterate. He had just
    bought a second computer. Both run XP Pro and he wanted to know how to
    share folders between them. So I walk him through the Windows
    GUI. Guess what, last thing it says is he must reboot.

  6. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    Verily I say unto thee, that ray spake thusly:

    > You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    > usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    Except if that software is the OS itself, in which case it's one reboot
    for each and every driver that one must install or upgrade post-install.
    Combine that with the mandatory reboots for each application, and each
    of their updates, and on a fully-loaded system you could looking at over
    a hundred reboots.

    Damn!

    Oh, but I forgot - according to DooFuS that's a "lie".

    LOL.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:34:28 up 1 day, 13:30, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00

  7. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:33:01 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    >>> usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    >> You're a liar too, raytard.
    >>
    >> Generally (I'd say at least 80% of the time), it requires no reboots.

    > Ah, I see. Linux ONLY requires a reboot when you install a new kernel
    > - for general software - never at all.

    That's the lie you guys tell each other. The reality is Linux reboots are
    nearly constant - every few minutes - for some Ubuntu victims.

    This dumbkopf had to reboot 8 times just to get a working system: #124
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=13

    And "If it still fails to start, sometimes a reboot is required."
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg7

    The forums at all or most distros have many, many instances of victims doing
    forced reboots when the Linux slopware locks up.

    Mepis requires a reboot when changing the video driver.

    Linux crapware spontaneously reboots at a rate ~140x higher than Windows,
    according to Google indexing:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 21,400 for Linux spontaneously reboots
    Results 1 - 10 of about 33,200 for Windows spontaneously reboots

    And so on and so on. The wasted time never ends when you subject yourself
    to amateur kiddieware.

  8. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:46:53 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    > http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s
    >
    > I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    > references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:
    >
    > "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen reboots."
    >
    > hah! What lying bull****.
    >
    > Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies spewing
    > forth.

    I just looked at that magazine in Borders today.
    It was all slimy with cafe spills and poppy seeds falling out of it.

    Evidently the Linux loons are too cheap to purchase it so they read it
    while sitting in the cafe lounge and then put it back on the shelf.

    I went and washed my hands after making the mistake of picking up the
    magazine.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:46:53 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    >> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s
    >>
    >> I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    >> references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:
    >>
    >> "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen
    >> reboots."
    >>
    >> hah! What lying bull****.
    >>
    >> Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies
    >> spewing forth.

    > I just looked at that magazine in Borders today.
    > It was all slimy with cafe spills and poppy seeds falling out of it.
    >
    > Evidently the Linux loons are too cheap to purchase it so they read it
    > while sitting in the cafe lounge and then put it back on the shelf.
    >
    > I went and washed my hands after making the mistake of picking up the
    > magazine.

    hah!

  10. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    In article , Homer
    wrote:
    > Except if that software is the OS itself, in which case it's one reboot
    > for each and every driver that one must install or upgrade post-install.
    > Combine that with the mandatory reboots for each application, and each
    > of their updates, and on a fully-loaded system you could looking at over
    > a hundred reboots.
    >
    > Damn!
    >
    > Oh, but I forgot - according to DooFuS that's a "lie".
    >
    > LOL.

    My new gaming system, which was assembled without an OS and then had
    Vista installed from scratch, required less than half a dozen boots
    total, for installation of the OS, all drivers, and all updates to date.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  11. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that ray spake thusly:
    >
    >> You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    >> usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    > Except if that software is the OS itself, in which case it's one
    > reboot for each and every driver that one must install or upgrade
    > post-install. Combine that with the mandatory reboots for each
    > application, and each of their updates, and on a fully-loaded system
    > you could looking at over a hundred reboots.

    Was stinking cigarette smoke curling out of your mouth and nose when you
    typed this stinking lie?

  12. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:26:47 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article , Homer
    > wrote:
    >> Except if that software is the OS itself, in which case it's one reboot
    >> for each and every driver that one must install or upgrade post-install.
    >> Combine that with the mandatory reboots for each application, and each
    >> of their updates, and on a fully-loaded system you could looking at over
    >> a hundred reboots.
    >>
    >> Damn!
    >>
    >> Oh, but I forgot - according to DooFuS that's a "lie".
    >>
    >> LOL.

    > My new gaming system, which was assembled without an OS and then had
    > Vista installed from scratch, required less than half a dozen boots
    > total, for installation of the OS, all drivers, and all updates to date.

    Just installing Mandriva and updates required 5 "log out of the gui"
    prompts which effectively kills my programs anyway and is as big a PITA as
    a reboot.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    DFS wrote:

    > "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen reboots."

    The most tragic fact about Windows is not that it requires so many
    reboots while installing/upgrading software and drivers. The most tragic
    fact is that 9 out of 10 times this is the only thing you can do to
    troubleshoot even the slightest problem.
    Step 1
    Install or uninstall the (most probably defective or bogus) fix for your
    problem then reboot.
    Step 2
    Oh it did not work. Now let's reverse the previous action reinstall what
    you uninstalled or unistall what you installed and then reboot.
    Ok now let's go back to step 1 using a different .exe installer snake
    oil solution we downloaded from www.viruses-are-us.ru and hope for the best.

  14. Re: DFS the lying troll, getting desperate for attention.

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 00:16:42 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:46:53 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    >> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s
    >>
    >> I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    >> references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:
    >>
    >> "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen
    >> reboots."
    >>
    >> hah! What lying bull****.
    >>
    >> Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies spewing
    >> forth.

    > You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    > usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    Subject changed to reflect the DFS troll's desperation.

  15. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:46:53 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> They produced a thick magazine on switching to Linux.
    >> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=416s
    >>
    >> I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble today. Among the many snide
    >> references to Windows found throughout, one stood out:
    >>
    >> "Windows software takes ages to install and requires a half-dozen
    >> reboots."
    >>
    >> hah! What lying bull****.
    >>
    >> Stinking Linux liars can't open their mouths without foul lies spewing
    >> forth.

    Jeezuz, DFS is squealing like a school girl!

    > You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    > usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    And it does take "ages" to install, since Windows comes with very few
    common tools (decent browser, decent multimedia app, decent consoles,
    no programmer's editor, no compiler/IDE, no office software, a paucity
    of themes, a paucity of games, no real download manager, restrictive
    remote access software, dictionaries, ... I mean, the list of stuff
    that is missing from Windows is absolutely incredible, absolutely
    mind-boggling.

    And no centralized location to retrieve and install all of the above!

    It's no contest!

    --
    Having nothing, nothing can he lose.
    -- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"

  16. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You're right. Generally, an installation of software on an MS system
    >>> usually only requires a couple of reboots.

    >> You're a liar too, raytard.
    >>
    >> Generally (I'd say at least 80% of the time), it requires no reboots.

    > Ah, I see. Linux ONLY requires a reboot when you install a new kernel -
    > for general software - never at all.

    DFS seems to be forgetting the near-regular reboots required by
    automatic Windows updates.

    Dat stinking Windows wiar!!! His pants awe on fiwe!

    Heck, a guy at work suspends his Windows laptop. He tells me it goes
    quite a long time, two or so weeks, before he needs to force a reboot to
    "clean it up".

    Meantime:

    09:00:45 up 179 days, 15:10, 2 users, load average: 0.19, 0.12, 0.10

    (yeah, I know Jeb, my system doesn't get a ton of use, just this
    newgrouping, email, streaming, light browsing, and light file/print
    sharing, web serving, document editing, some light dev work.)

    --
    We laugh at the Indian philosopher, who to account for the support
    of the earth, contrived the hypothesis of a huge elephant, and to support

  17. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Rob Schwenk belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You're a liar too, raytard.
    >>>
    >>> Generally (I'd say at least 80% of the time), it requires no reboots.

    > When installing vmware on Linux it had to compile 2 kernel
    > modules. Was a reboot required? NO
    >
    > My brother called this evening. He's computer illiterate. He had just
    > bought a second computer. Both run XP Pro and he wanted to know how to
    > share folders between them. So I walk him through the Windows
    > GUI. Guess what, last thing it says is he must reboot.

    That's weird. Must not have had a component installed during the
    original install. Still pretty funny to have to reboot to activate it.

    --
    If there is any better use for being famous and respected than using that
    status to question orthodoxy, I haven't found it yet.

  18. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article , Homer
    > wrote:
    >> Except if that software is the OS itself, in which case it's one reboot
    >> for each and every driver that one must install or upgrade post-install.
    >> Combine that with the mandatory reboots for each application, and each
    >> of their updates, and on a fully-loaded system you could looking at over
    >> a hundred reboots.

    Quite a bit over-the-top, Home!

    >> Damn!
    >> Oh, but I forgot - according to DooFuS that's a "lie".
    >> LOL.

    > My new gaming system, which was assembled without an OS and then had
    > Vista installed from scratch, required less than half a dozen boots
    > total, for installation of the OS, all drivers, and all updates to date.

    Cool. That's because you did it all at once, consolidating the reboots.

    By the way, which Vista?

    --
    A real friend isn't someone you use once and then throw away.
    A real friend is someone you can use over and over again.

  19. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    In article <9DmIk.48943$vX2.26726@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > > My new gaming system, which was assembled without an OS and then had
    > > Vista installed from scratch, required less than half a dozen boots
    > > total, for installation of the OS, all drivers, and all updates to date.

    > Cool. That's because you did it all at once, consolidating the reboots.
    >
    > By the way, which Vista?

    Home Premium 64-bit. Here's the (nearly) complete specs of the system:

    From Newegg:

    Antec Sonata III case and power supply

    750 GB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache SATA 3.0 GB/sec hard drive

    8 GB of RAM
    2x

    Wireless adaptor

    Asus P5Q Pro motherboard

    NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB video card

    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3 GHz

    DVD burner

    Vista Home Premium 64-bit

    I also bought a monitor for it from Best Buy:

    LG W2252TQ Flatron

    (It was on sale for quite a bit less than the price given at that link).

    Finally, some decent but inexpensive speakers for when I feel like
    deviating from my usual headphones, bought from Wal-Mart. They don't
    list them online.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  20. Re: Lying lusers at Linux Format tell more lies

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 00:18:06 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:

    >>> You're a liar too, raytard.
    >>>
    >>> Generally (I'd say at least 80% of the time), it requires no reboots.

    >> Ah, I see. Linux ONLY requires a reboot when you install a new kernel -
    >> for general software - never at all.

    > That's the lie you guys tell each other. The reality is Linux reboots
    > are nearly constant - every few minutes - for some Ubuntu victims.

    That is B.S. and you know it. I've never seen a Linux install that was
    unstable in that way UNLESS THERE WAS A HARDWARE MALFUNCTION.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast