OpenGL versus DirectX - Linux

This is a discussion on OpenGL versus DirectX - Linux ; On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:43:53 +0200, Hadron wrote: > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes: > >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:39:36 +0200, Hadron wrote: >> >>> William Poaster writes: >>> >>>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:13:33 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: OpenGL versus DirectX

  1. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:43:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:39:36 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> William Poaster writes:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:13:33 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >>>>> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Matt wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>>>>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for trolling purposes
    >>>>>
    >>>>> He knows Debian well enough to have screwed up his apt by mixing in etch
    >>>>> backports with a lenny install.
    >>>>
    >>>> Why am I not surprised at that.
    >>>
    >>> At Liarmutt telling lies?
    >>>
    >>> I brought Unstable components into Lenny. Different thing all
    >>> together. Why? Because somethings come into unstable and take ages to
    >>> move to testing (Lenny) and so you're screwed with newer HW at times.
    >>>
    >>> So : Cola Advocates tell lies and get caught out again.
    >>>
    >>> I also schooled him (politely enough to start) about him giving wrong
    >>> advice on using NVidia installers on Debian systems. But he is trying to
    >>> rewrite history, the sad little sycophantic arse kisser that he is.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, Pinning/Backports etc are very powerful.

    >>
    >> It's the COLA gang bang all trying to re-write history.
    >>
    >> Ever notice how Willy Poaster is always last at the gang bang?
    >> Weird.

    >
    > Sometimes I think I am goign crazy when I read LiarmuttÄs posts. Did you
    > see the threads in question. I provided a reasoned explanation and links
    > as to how he was wrong. I also pointed out numerous times WHY and HOW I
    > used Unstable components in my Lenny setup. Are these guys lying or
    > simply incompetent?!?!?! Please tell me you saw and understood what I
    > said before? DFS? Anyone? Are these guys for real!?!?!


    They know full well what you wrote and that you are indeed correct.
    They pulled the same crap with my Mandriva2009+nvidia thread.

    The idea is to re-write history and change the facts and they think that if
    enough of them join in on the gang bang their rants will become true.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  2. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    news:gcvgbr$dbp$1@registered.motzarella.org...
    >
    > Do you have any IDEA of the costs of OGL acceleration back
    > then?
    >


    I remember my Permedia 2 graphics card had a first-class
    OpenGL driver and that was a cheap card.

    After that came the TNT and GeForce cards, all OpenGL
    capable and consumer-priced.

    Now .... if I'm not mistaken, these were the exact same
    cards that Direct3D was running on....


    --
    <\___/>
    / O O \
    \_____/ FTB.

    http://www.topaz3d.com/ - New 3D editor!


  3. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Oct 12, 10:39 pm, fungus wrote:
    > On Oct 12, 1:09 am, Hadron wrote:
    >
    > > DirectX found favour.

    >
    > > MS courted and listened to what people wanted and needed.

    >
    > ...and locked you into a windows-only world where they
    > can produce things like Windows Vista without losing any
    > market share - it's waiting for you on all new PCs!.


    Not quite all new PCs. It seems that in the Middle East, Europe, and
    Asia, there are a number of inexpensive Linux laptops and "No OS"
    Laptops designed to let buyers very quickly and easily install their
    favorite version of Linux.

    Acer is having trouble keeping up with he demand for the Linux version
    of it's Aspire, and ASUS is having a hard time keeping up with demand
    for the Linux version of the EEE.

    If you are replacing a Windows computer that's gone "Belly Up" due to
    DLL Hell and Virus/Malware mania, (you did by a disposable computer
    didn't you?), then you'le probably end up being force-fed Vista,
    unless your company permits you to install their XP image on your
    Vista machine.

    However, if you just want a cheap little computer you can stick in a
    purse or book bag, and pull out whil sitting for dinner, or to take
    notes during a class or a meeting, then Linux can be a really nice
    alternative and you get to pocket about $100-150 because you don't
    need the extra hardware.

    As for DirectX, vs OpenGL, when you go with DirectX or Direct3D, even
    with some Linux emulation/mapping, you are pretty much painting
    yourself into a corner with industrial strength superglue, while
    Microsoft is painting their way to your cash register, and the exit.
    If you attempt to chase them as they walk away with all of your cash,
    you'll have to be surgically removed from the floor as your shoes
    stick and you fall, with you face hands and bare legs and arms - onto
    the super-glue floor. Look at most of Microsoft's other supporters.
    Borland, Lotus, WordPerfect, Corel, Netscape, or even Norton, McAffee,
    and Symantic.

    You might even find that that really awsome Video grame that you and
    20 of your friends spent 2 years perfecting - will be locked out of
    the market by a knock-off produced by a third-rate software company
    who is 25% owned by Microsoft.

    Good luck with that Direct3D project. You'll need it.


  4. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Oct 13, 11:59*pm, Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Oct 12, 10:39 pm, fungus wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 12, 1:09 am, Hadron wrote:

    >
    > > > DirectX found favour.

    >
    > > > MS courted and listened to what people wanted and needed.

    >
    > > ...and locked you into a windows-only world where they
    > > can produce things like Windows Vista without losing any
    > > market share - it's waiting for you on all new PCs!.

    >
    > Not quite all new PCs. *It seems that in the Middle East, Europe, and
    > Asia, there are a number of inexpensive Linux laptops and "No OS"
    > Laptops designed to let buyers very quickly and easily install their
    > favorite version of Linux.
    >
    > Acer is having trouble keeping up with he demand for the Linux version
    > of it's Aspire, and ASUS is having a hard time keeping up with demand
    > for the Linux version of the EEE.
    >
    > If you are replacing a Windows computer that's gone "Belly Up" due to
    > DLL Hell and Virus/Malware mania, (you did by a disposable computer
    > didn't you?), then you'le probably end up being force-fed Vista,
    > unless your company permits you to install their XP image on your
    > Vista machine.
    >
    > However, if you just want a cheap little computer you can stick in a
    > purse or book bag, and pull out whil sitting for dinner, or to take
    > notes during a class or a meeting, then Linux can be a really nice
    > alternative and you get to pocket about $100-150 because you don't
    > need the extra hardware.
    >
    > As for DirectX, vs OpenGL, when you go with DirectX or Direct3D, even
    > with some Linux emulation/mapping, you are pretty much painting
    > yourself into a corner with industrial strength superglue, while
    > Microsoft is painting their way to your cash register, and the exit.
    > If you attempt to chase them as they walk away with all of your cash,
    > you'll have to be surgically removed from the floor as your shoes
    > stick and you fall, with you face hands and bare legs and arms - onto
    > the super-glue floor. *Look at most of Microsoft's other supporters.
    > Borland, Lotus, WordPerfect, Corel, Netscape, or even Norton, McAffee,
    > and Symantic.
    >
    > You might even find that that really awsome Video grame that you and
    > 20 of your friends spent 2 years perfecting - will be locked out of
    > the market by a knock-off produced by a third-rate software company
    > who is 25% owned by Microsoft.
    >
    > Good luck with that Direct3D project. *You'll need it.


    Good luck with ANY PC game project. How many TOP-20 games there are?
    Oh right, 20. Those are the profitable ones.

  5. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    [snips]

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:27:29 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    >>>> They frequently conduct User feedback projects. They worked WITH the
    >>>> games writers and the Video HW designers.


    >>> That simply *has* to be the reason for XPs "activation". Or the very
    >>> much hated DRM of Vista. Or Vistas UAC, which is universally shunned
    >>> for its intrusiveness.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, MS is /obviously/ listening to its customers...

    >>
    >> What are you talking about?

    >
    > Learn to read.
    > I talk about windows users. You know, those you mentioned with your
    > "feedback" claim


    Well, to be fair, what he said was that they held feedback sessions and
    worked with the game guys and the video guys; he didn't actually say they
    _used_ any of the feedback, or did what the other guys thought made any
    sense.


  6. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:27:29 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >>>>> They frequently conduct User feedback projects. They worked WITH the
    >>>>> games writers and the Video HW designers.

    >
    >>>> That simply *has* to be the reason for XPs "activation". Or the very
    >>>> much hated DRM of Vista. Or Vistas UAC, which is universally shunned
    >>>> for its intrusiveness.
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes, MS is /obviously/ listening to its customers...
    >>>
    >>> What are you talking about?

    >>
    >> Learn to read.
    >> I talk about windows users. You know, those you mentioned with your
    >> "feedback" claim

    >
    > Well, to be fair, what he said was that they held feedback sessions and
    > worked with the game guys and the video guys; he didn't actually say they
    > _used_ any of the feedback, or did what the other guys thought made any
    > sense.
    >


    You know you're being a mindless drone if you really think they dont
    listen. They do. Not to everything of course. Can you imagine the groups
    Windows users giving feedback? Peter Koehlmann, 7, High Plains Hypocrite
    and Philtard? They haven't a clue...

    --
    "Asshole - you just started this thread to give you a few more opportunities
    to show off what an unmitigated prick you are."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  7. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    Hadron wrote:
    > Kelsey Bjarnason writes:
    >
    >> Well, to be fair, what he said was that they held feedback
    >> sessions and worked with the game guys and the video guys;
    >> he didn't actually say they _used_ any of the feedback, or
    >> did what the other guys thought made any sense.

    >
    > You know you're being a mindless drone if you really think
    > they dont listen. They do. Not to everything of course. Can
    > you imagine the groups Windows users giving feedback? Peter
    > Koehlmann, 7, High Plains Hypocrite and Philtard? They haven't
    > a clue...


    A rather childish, insulting response, an inability to respect
    people's nyms and indication of an intent troll, to wreak havoc
    in this newsgroup. This is an example of:

    http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's
    ability to cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from
    obviously incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call
    them netcops, netnannies, homosexuals.
    also

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The
    liberal use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents. Your
    experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    [... and]

    48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting. No
    matter how little you understand of the issues being discussed in
    a thread, post anyway. If you don't know what you are talking
    about just pretend that you do.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  8. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > --
    > "Asshole - you just started this thread to give you a few more opportunities
    > to show off what an unmitigated prick you are."
    > -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy


    Proud o' that one, eh?

    --
    God is love, but get it in writing.
    -- Gypsy Rose Lee

  9. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> --
    >> "Asshole - you just started this thread to give you a few more opportunities
    >> to show off what an unmitigated prick you are."
    >> -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy

    >
    >Proud o' that one, eh?


    I just don't understand what Quack wants to prove with his sig
    material. I haven't seen one yet that actually shows the advocates in
    a bad light. If the above quote from TV is directed at Quack, it's
    entirely appropriate.

    On the other hand, see below for Quack lying shamelessly.

    --
    "Half say its easier than Windows and the other (more truthful) half
    maintain that they are GLAD Linux is buggy and error prone because it
    puts off the great unwashed that would otherwise pollute the Linux
    gene pool." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

  10. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> Where did I say you had to use VI?
    >> I said people, normal people, don't care about VI or kernel
    >> compiling.

    >
    > You implied it in your above statement and in:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....358d05ff8eed86
    >
    > From: Moshe Goldfarb
    > Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 22:32:24 -0400
    >
    > Once Johnny discovers that girls are softer than VI or Emacs,
    > another Linux distribution goes down the drain.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....3fcd7ef5dd7e46
    >
    > From: Moshe Goldfarb
    > Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 19:41:23 -0400
    >
    > And when VI pops up as the default text editor like it does on
    > many Linux systems, the new user is DOA....
    > Score another one for Linux......


    Moshe always has some bull****/insulting reason why Linux "fails".

    --
    What passes for woman's intuition is often nothing more than man's
    transparency.
    -- George Nathan

  11. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Life with Windows is not the fantasy world you paint. I have
    > assisted users with installations where they have acquired a
    > piece of equipment, Windows detects hardware, does an on-line
    > search, finds nothing. Then I had to go to the OEM website or if
    > OEM discontinued support, to a 3rd party download site that had
    > drivers archived. Manually install the driver for them.


    Some people go to GNU/Linux for the feeling of freedom. Others go to it
    simply because it often works better.

    --
    Cecil, you're my final hope Of finding out the true Straight Dope
    For I have been reading of Schrodinger's cat But none of my cats are at
    all like that. -- Randy F., Chicago, "The Straight Dope, a compendium
    of human knowledge" by Cecil Adams

  12. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:09:44 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:


    > Some people go to GNU/Linux for the feeling of freedom. Others go to it
    > simply because it often works better.


    And like a Porta-Potty at the local fairgrounds, most leave it (Linux)
    feeling ill and with a strange smell that doesn't seem to dissipate.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:09:44 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Some people go to GNU/Linux for the feeling of freedom. Others go
    >> to it simply because it often works better.

    >
    > And like a Porta-Potty at the local fairgrounds, most leave it
    > (Linux) feeling ill and with a strange smell that doesn't seem to
    > dissipate.


    hah!!!!!




  14. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:05:37 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:09:44 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Some people go to GNU/Linux for the feeling of freedom. Others go
    >>> to it simply because it often works better.

    >>
    >> And like a Porta-Potty at the local fairgrounds, most leave it
    >> (Linux) feeling ill and with a strange smell that doesn't seem to
    >> dissipate.

    >
    > hah!!!!!


    The Stench Of Linux!!!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4