OpenGL versus DirectX - Linux

This is a discussion on OpenGL versus DirectX - Linux ; Peter Köhlmann writes: > Hadron wrote: > >> Peter Köhlmann writes: >> >>> Matt wrote: >>> >>>> Hadron wrote: >>>> >>>>> I use Debian. >>>> >>>> >>>> Yeah ... why do you do that? >>> >>> He does not. He ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 74

Thread: OpenGL versus DirectX

  1. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >>
    >>> Matt wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>
    >>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for trolling purposes

    >>
    >> And this virtual machine gave me all my knowledge about the video system
    >> hey Peter you paranoid twit?
    >>
    >> You know I use Debian.

    >
    > Nope. I know that your knowledge about linux is very limited. That you use
    > Debian I simply do *not* know. And I believe none of it


    I believe you. You're a twit.

    >
    >> You KNOW I know more about it than the likes of
    >> High Plains Hypocrite and Liarmutt.

    >
    > Another thing I do *not* know. You have shown yourself too often as quite
    > clueless about linux. They on the other hand have often enough posted
    > articles where it could be seen that thewy indeed know their way around
    > with linux


    Every single time they have tried to "teach" something about Debian they
    have been incorrect. The Google logs are there.

    >
    >> God knows I have corrected them enough about it.

    >
    > You did nothing of that sort. Using the Snot Glasser method of claiming
    > to "have someone educated" when you learned the very same knowledge just
    > then (and often enough by the very person you "educated") isn't going to
    > work. You are a liar


    Wrong. Go visit Debian usenet group. Google here for Nvidia
    Installer. Or Testing versus Stable. Sorry peter. You are way out of
    your depth here.

    And anyone who reads those thread knows who knows. And it aint High
    Plains Hypocrite or Liarmutt.

    >
    >> And I certainly know more about it than you.

    >
    > Now that is really hilarious. Even *if* you started using linux about 2
    > years ago (you didn't), that would give me a headstart of more than 8
    > years


    So what? You're obviously quite simple.

    >
    >> Don't confuse laughing at COLA "advocates" as disliking Linux.
    >>

    >
    > You are laughing at nobody. You try to insult anybody with your trash. Part
    > of the reason is your extreme jealousy about anyone who achieved something
    > in life.


    Uh huh! I do not recall a single post from you where you are not
    insulting people. In fact you hate so many people you even managed to
    alienate the COLA gang half the time. Unless having Willy "me too"
    Poaster as your friend is an achievement.

    --
    "**** you, you lying bitch. "
    -- Rick in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  2. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    fungus writes:

    > On Oct 13, 4:19*am, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Let me put it this way : they wanted to develop their OWN API so they
    >> would be in charge of getting it improved. And for THIS reason they
    >> worked with the developers and the HW manufacturers.
    >>

    >
    >


    Sigh. Another f*cking idiot who is so biased he cant use Google. Here ya
    go little fella:

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_50283112

    ,----
    | SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 3, 1998--NVIDIA(TM)
    | Corp. announced today that it co-developed the advanced multi-texturing
    | features, an advanced 3D capability, in Microsoft's new DirectX 6.0
    | Direct3D application programming interface (API).
    `----

    Now that you've been royally spanked, please do your own research and
    don't listen to losers like Peter Koehlmann who deny everything they dont
    like. Like lots of things in history.


    > No they didn't, if that's what they wanted they'd have done the
    > "embrace and extend" thing.
    >
    > OpenGL was cutting-edge technology back then, games developers
    > were demanding it for Windows (OpenGL was already widely used
    > under DOS on 3dfx cards).


    Bull****.

    3dfx created their own API because OGL was going nowhere. Plus they
    wanted an proprietary system and they almost got it - Glide. The needed
    an API which would WORK with existing/evailable/in development
    hardware. Do you have any IDEA of the costs of OGL acceleration back
    then? Hell, IBM tried with OGL in OS/2 in their multimedia extensions
    and it was a joke. A whale flapping around at about 3 frames a minute
    while next door someone was playing Unreal on SLI Voodoo cards using
    glide or (if lucky) their crappy D3d layer.

    Go read up sonny boy and come back to us.

    >> You're biased.

    >
    > Why? Because I don't drink the Microsoft kool-aid?


    No, because you drink the OGL Koolaid.

    >
    >
    > --
    > <\___/>
    > / O O \
    > \_____/ FTB.
    >
    > http://www.topaz3d.com/ - New 3D editor!
    >


    --
    "Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
    probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight
    (or Moonlight)."
    -- The Ghost In The Machine in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  3. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    Hadron wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>> Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >>>> Matt wrote:
    >>>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>>
    >>>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>>>
    >>>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for
    >>>> trolling purposes
    >>>
    >>> And this virtual machine gave me all my knowledge about
    >>> the video system hey Peter you paranoid twit?
    >>>
    >>> You know I use Debian.

    >>
    >> Nope. I know that your knowledge about linux is very
    >> limited. That you use Debian I simply do *not* know. And I
    >> believe none of it

    >
    > I believe you. You're a twit.


    Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy. He doesn't even know
    what a Debian metafile in Synaptic or Apt is. Then finds that
    specific Dental support in Debian-Med has been documented as not
    available in that Debian repository (an indicator as need for
    future work) and thus the project is borked, ignoring that the
    bio/laboratory side has over 88 pages of software. Thus to
    support his assumption of brokenness.

    Oh yeah ....

    >>> You KNOW I know more about it than the likes of High
    >>> Plains Hypocrite and Liarmutt.


    Hah! Interesting that this troll cannot respect mine and
    Linonut's nym, but must express insults of them. This is an
    example of:

    http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's
    ability to cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from
    obviously incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call
    them netcops, netnannies, homosexuals.

    >> Another thing I do *not* know. You have shown yourself too
    >> often as quite clueless about linux. They on the other hand
    >> have often enough posted articles where it could be seen
    >> that thewy indeed know their way around with linux

    >
    > Every single time they have tried to "teach" something about
    > Debian they have been incorrect. The Google logs are there.


    Oh, the "other party is always wrong" theory, hence why they ran
    him out on a rail in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    >>> God knows I have corrected them enough about it.

    >>
    >> You did nothing of that sort. Using the Snot Glasser method
    >> of claiming to "have someone educated" when you learned the
    >> very same knowledge just then (and often enough by the very
    >> person you "educated") isn't going to work. You are a liar

    >
    > Wrong. Go visit Debian usenet group. Google here for Nvidia
    > Installer. Or Testing versus Stable. Sorry peter. You are way
    > out of your depth here.


    The one they ran him out of, see above.

    > And anyone who reads those thread knows who knows. And it aint
    > High Plains Hypocrite or Liarmutt.


    Again, this troll cannot express an opinion without altering
    people's nyms to insult them, truly sad.

    >>> And I certainly know more about it than you.

    >>
    >> Now that is really hilarious. Even *if* you started using
    >> linux about 2 years ago (you didn't), that would give me a
    >> headstart of more than 8 years

    >
    > So what? You're obviously quite simple.


    Sounds like a self fulling prophecy. To wit:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6fff80adc9812c

    [quote]
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: High Plains Thumper
    Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 03:18:21 -0600
    Subject: Re: [linux-equivalents] TuxGuitar

    TomB wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> TomB writes:
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>> TomB writes:
    >>>>
    >>>>> If you play the guitar and are looking for a decent
    >>>>> replacement for Guitar Pro, TuxGuitar may be what
    >>>>> you're looking for.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It isn't quite there yet, but it looks very promising.
    >>>>
    >>>> Interesting. Looks nice. There is a tuxguitar in the
    >>>> debian repositories too. its vsersion says 1.01 yet the
    >>>> one at the site says 1.0. The one in the debian
    >>>> repository does not work:
    >>>>
    >>>> /usr/bin/tuxguitar: line 142:
    >>>> /usr/lib/java/jre/bin/java: No such file or directory
    >>>>
    >>>> And yes, i do have the Sun JRE installed.
    >>>
    >>> That's odd. I was just doing some work in TuxGuitar on my
    >>> own Debian box (using Lenny 32bit here). Works just fine.
    >>>
    >>> I just took a look at that line and it calls on the Jave
    >>> environment vars. Odd that it doesn't work for you...
    >>>
    >>> I also have Guitar Pro running in wine. Works like a charm
    >>> as well :-)

    >>
    >> Java in debian is f*cked up. I suspect the debian tuxguitar
    >> installer has broken something.


    Synaptic:

    Mark additional changes?

    v To be installed
    libtext-java
    libswt3.2-gtk-java
    libswt3.2-gtk-jni

    [X Cancel [V Mark]
    Tuxguitar installed and runs fine, no crashes, no error messages.
    Perhaps if our diminutive atomic sub particle had properly
    installed it per directions, it would have worked without error.

    But what would you expect?

    Debian Stable is one of the most widely used distros for mission
    critical applications and where one wants minimal impact to
    production work. Very few require bleeding edge software to be
    productive.

    Yet Hadron insists that Debian Stable is full of bugs and too
    backward for usage:

    Subject: Re: [News] Sister OS to Linux, OS-X Has Better TCO than
    Microsoft Windows
    Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:50:07 +0100
    Message-ID: fr08c1$9e1$2@registered.motzarella.org


    > Hadron has an apparent inability to recognise how more
    > consistent usage of Debian Stable will only help his usage of
    > the product, preferring unstable versions of Debian; if not
    > for the only reason as an opportunity to attack Linux/OSS.


    Once more for the hard of brain power : I use testing. Not
    unstable. And I use it for a reason - Debian Stable is simply too
    buggy and backward and I cant be arsed to manage pinning or
    selectively monitoring backports.

    >>> Don't confuse laughing at COLA "advocates" as disliking
    >>> Linux.

    >>
    >> You are laughing at nobody. You try to insult anybody with
    >> your trash. Part of the reason is your extreme jealousy
    >> about anyone who achieved something in life.

    >
    > Uh huh! I do not recall a single post from you where you are
    > not insulting people. In fact you hate so many people you even
    > managed to alienate the COLA gang half the time. Unless
    > having Willy "me too" Poaster as your friend is an
    > achievement.


    Another instance of insulting by altering forum posting nyms.
    Looks more like the tail wagging the dog.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  4. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>> Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >>>>> Matt wrote:
    >>>>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for trolling
    >>>>> purposes
    >>>>
    >>>> And this virtual machine gave me all my knowledge about the video
    >>>> system hey Peter you paranoid twit?
    >>>>
    >>>> You know I use Debian.
    >>>
    >>> Nope. I know that your knowledge about linux is very limited. That
    >>> you use Debian I simply do *not* know. And I believe none of it

    >>
    >> I believe you. You're a twit.

    >
    > Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy. He doesn't even know
    > what a Debian metafile in Synaptic or Apt is. Then finds that
    > specific Dental support in Debian-Med has been documented as not
    > available in that Debian repository (an indicator as need for future
    > work) and thus the project is borked, ignoring that the bio/laboratory
    > side has over 88 pages of software. Thus to support his assumption of
    > brokenness.


    What are you talking about? It was me who said a standard package
    placeholder was sufficient - not an entire distro.

    >
    > Oh yeah ....
    >
    >>>> You KNOW I know more about it than the likes of High Plains
    >>>> Hypocrite and Liarmutt.

    >
    > Hah! Interesting that this troll cannot respect mine and
    > Linonut's nym, but must express insults of them. This is an
    > example of:
    >


    *snip ludicrous garbage*

  5. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> You KNOW I know more about it than the likes of
    >> High Plains Hypocrite and Liarmutt.


    *snort*

    > Another thing I do *not* know. You have shown yourself too often as quite
    > clueless about linux. They on the other hand have often enough posted
    > articles where it could be seen that thewy indeed know their way around
    > with linux


    I wonder if Hadron has ever installed Linux on an embedded system. And
    taken apart an initrd image and manually modified it to provide a
    proprietary driver. And edited a udev configuration to rename the
    serial port for a USB-to-serial converter. Has he configured, built,
    and installed a kernel, manually? Patched source code for a VMware
    install? Hacked up wireless to get it working direct from a vendor
    source-code archive? Installed a Debian using a 2.4 kernel install
    (because SATA wasn't yet supported in the 2.6 debian kernel) and
    bootstrapping it to 2.6 and dealing with all the changes in device
    names?

    And I'm not even /close/ to being fully knowledgeable about all things
    Linux. Not even close!

    >> God knows I have corrected them enough about it.


    Of course, I'm no kernel hacker, like Hadron.

    > You did nothing of that sort. Using the Snot Glasser method of claiming
    > to "have someone educated" when you learned the very same knowledge just
    > then (and often enough by the very person you "educated") isn't going to
    > work. You are a liar
    >
    >> And I certainly know more about it than you.


    *snort*

    > Now that is really hilarious. Even *if* you started using linux about 2
    > years ago (you didn't), that would give me a headstart of more than 8 years


    I've got about a six-year head start on the poor fool.

    Not all that long ago, you had to do quite a bit of hand-hacking to get
    things to work in Debian. So no surprise if you learn more that way.

    I will admit that Hadron might be a better one to advise the newbies, as
    I tend to go the DIY route too much, not being so familiar with the
    newer tools.

    >> Don't confuse laughing at COLA "advocates" as disliking Linux.

    >
    > You are laughing at nobody. You try to insult anybody with your trash. Part
    > of the reason is your extreme jealousy about anyone who achieved something
    > in life.


    Hadron is simply a freakin' troll. Strong talk, weak substance.

    I hear tell he's a bicycle racer in the mold of Lance Armstrong, though.

    --
    Most legends have their basis in facts.
    -- Kirk, "And The Children Shall Lead", stardate 5029.5

  6. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Every single time they have tried to "teach" something about
    >> Debian they have been incorrect. The Google logs are there.

    >
    > Oh, the "other party is always wrong" theory, hence why they ran
    > him out on a rail in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.


    You know what Hadron thinks is "wrong"? Me saying that you can easily,
    once you've mastered manual installs of the kernel, install the
    proprietary Nvidia driver.

    Nothing wrong with that at all, except that Debian has their own way of
    doing it, which I don't use because it is, *to me*, more difficult than
    just building a new kernel, downloading the nvidia package, and running
    it.

    Not a method newbies would want to use.

    That's what Hadron means by "wrong".

    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6fff80adc9812c
    >
    > [quote]




    > Another instance of insulting by altering forum posting nyms.
    > Looks more like the tail wagging the dog.


    Hadron is an angry, self-important gas-bag.

    --
    What good is an obscenity trial except to popularize literature?
    -- Nero Wolfe, "The League of Frightened Men"

  7. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    After takin' a swig o' grog, fungus belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 13, 4:19*am, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Let me put it this way : they wanted to develop their OWN API so they
    >> would be in charge of getting it improved. And for THIS reason they
    >> worked with the developers and the HW manufacturers.

    >
    >
    >
    > No they didn't, if that's what they wanted they'd have done the
    > "embrace and extend" thing.
    >
    > OpenGL was cutting-edge technology back then, games developers
    > were demanding it for Windows (OpenGL was already widely used
    > under DOS on 3dfx cards).
    >
    > Microsoft already had OpenGL working in Windows NT 3.1, why
    > would they refuse to put in in Windows 95 (until SP2) and instead
    > go out and buy a crappy software renderer (ie. Renderware) and
    > drag everybody through the process of gradually deprecating it
    > and ending up with an API equivalent to OpenGL...
    >
    > ...just so that "they would be in charge of improvements"?
    >
    > Microsoft was a founding member of the OpenGL ARB and
    > initially did some good work there - right up until somebody
    > high up gave the order to obstruct OpenGL at all costs.
    >
    > Read the whole story here:
    >
    > http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/windo...sDirect3D.html
    >
    >> You do know OGL games have run fine on Windows?

    >
    > Duh!
    >
    > The point is they could have run better and three or four
    > years sooner - if Microsoft had just *listened* to what
    > everybody was telling them instead of dragging the industry
    > down into the festering bog which was early Direct3D.
    >
    >> You're biased.

    >
    > Why? Because I don't drink the Microsoft kool-aid?


    Microsoft did it with OS/2, they did it with OpenGL, and now it looks
    like they're trying to do it with ODF.

    What are they trying to do?

    Get themselves responsible for an important part of the work, and then
    dragging their asses while they push their own products and agenda,
    preventing the other's work from being completed.

    --
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvalds about the superiority of Linux on the Amsterdam
    Linux Symposium

  8. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:27:20 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Peter Khlmann writes:
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>> Peter Khlmann writes:
    >>>>> Matt wrote:
    >>>>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for
    >>>>> trolling purposes
    >>>>
    >>>> And this virtual machine gave me all my knowledge about
    >>>> the video system hey Peter you paranoid twit?
    >>>>
    >>>> You know I use Debian.
    >>>
    >>> Nope. I know that your knowledge about linux is very
    >>> limited. That you use Debian I simply do *not* know. And I
    >>> believe none of it

    >>
    >> I believe you. You're a twit.

    >
    > Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy. He doesn't even know
    > what a Debian metafile in Synaptic or Apt is. Then finds that
    > specific Dental support in Debian-Med has been documented as not
    > available in that Debian repository (an indicator as need for
    > future work) and thus the project is borked, ignoring that the
    > bio/laboratory side has over 88 pages of software. Thus to
    > support his assumption of brokenness.
    >
    > Oh yeah ....
    >
    >>>> You KNOW I know more about it than the likes of High
    >>>> Plains Hypocrite and Liarmutt.

    >
    > Hah! Interesting that this troll cannot respect mine and
    > Linonut's nym, but must express insults of them. This is an
    > example of:
    >
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >
    >
    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll
    >
    > If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's
    > ability to cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from
    > obviously incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call
    > them netcops, netnannies, homosexuals.
    >
    >>> Another thing I do *not* know. You have shown yourself too
    >>> often as quite clueless about linux. They on the other hand
    >>> have often enough posted articles where it could be seen
    >>> that thewy indeed know their way around with linux

    >>
    >> Every single time they have tried to "teach" something about
    >> Debian they have been incorrect. The Google logs are there.

    >
    > Oh, the "other party is always wrong" theory, hence why they ran
    > him out on a rail in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.


    Yup, *everyone* is wrong except Quack himself. Classic NPD symptom.

    >>>> God knows I have corrected them enough about it.
    >>>
    >>> You did nothing of that sort. Using the Snot Glasser method
    >>> of claiming to "have someone educated" when you learned the
    >>> very same knowledge just then (and often enough by the very
    >>> person you "educated") isn't going to work. You are a liar

    >>
    >> Wrong. Go visit Debian usenet group. Google here for Nvidia
    >> Installer. Or Testing versus Stable. Sorry peter. You are way
    >> out of your depth here.

    >
    > The one they ran him out of, see above.


    A lot of people in that particular Debian usenet group are also in the
    Ubuntu group, which is why they take no notice of the Hardon Quack troll.

    >> And anyone who reads those thread knows who knows. And it aint
    >> High Plains Hypocrite or Liarmutt.

    >
    > Again, this troll cannot express an opinion without altering
    > people's nyms to insult them, truly sad.
    >
    >>>> And I certainly know more about it than you.
    >>>
    >>> Now that is really hilarious. Even *if* you started using
    >>> linux about 2 years ago (you didn't), that would give me a
    >>> headstart of more than 8 years

    >>
    >> So what? You're obviously quite simple.

    >
    > Sounds like a self fulling prophecy. To wit:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6fff80adc9812c
    >
    > [quote]
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > From: High Plains Thumper
    > Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 03:18:21 -0600
    > Subject: Re: [linux-equivalents] TuxGuitar
    >
    > TomB wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>> TomB writes:
    >>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>> TomB writes:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> If you play the guitar and are looking for a decent
    >>>>>> replacement for Guitar Pro, TuxGuitar may be what
    >>>>>> you're looking for.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> It isn't quite there yet, but it looks very promising.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Interesting. Looks nice. There is a tuxguitar in the
    >>>>> debian repositories too. its vsersion says 1.01 yet the
    >>>>> one at the site says 1.0. The one in the debian
    >>>>> repository does not work:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> /usr/bin/tuxguitar: line 142:
    >>>>> /usr/lib/java/jre/bin/java: No such file or directory
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And yes, i do have the Sun JRE installed.
    >>>>
    >>>> That's odd. I was just doing some work in TuxGuitar on my
    >>>> own Debian box (using Lenny 32bit here). Works just fine.
    >>>>
    >>>> I just took a look at that line and it calls on the Jave
    >>>> environment vars. Odd that it doesn't work for you...
    >>>>
    >>>> I also have Guitar Pro running in wine. Works like a charm
    >>>> as well :-)
    >>>
    >>> Java in debian is f*cked up. I suspect the debian tuxguitar
    >>> installer has broken something.

    >
    > Synaptic:
    >
    >
    > Mark additional changes?
    >
    > v To be installed
    > libtext-java
    > libswt3.2-gtk-java
    > libswt3.2-gtk-jni
    >
    > [X Cancel [V Mark]
    >
    >
    > Tuxguitar installed and runs fine, no crashes, no error messages.
    > Perhaps if our diminutive atomic sub particle had properly
    > installed it per directions, it would have worked without error.
    >
    > But what would you expect?
    >
    > Debian Stable is one of the most widely used distros for mission
    > critical applications and where one wants minimal impact to
    > production work. Very few require bleeding edge software to be
    > productive.
    >
    > Yet Hadron insists that Debian Stable is full of bugs and too
    > backward for usage:
    >
    > Subject: Re: [News] Sister OS to Linux, OS-X Has Better TCO than
    > Microsoft Windows
    > Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:50:07 +0100
    > Message-ID: fr08c1$9e1$2@registered.motzarella.org
    >
    >

    >> Hadron has an apparent inability to recognise how more
    >> consistent usage of Debian Stable will only help his usage of
    >> the product, preferring unstable versions of Debian; if not
    >> for the only reason as an opportunity to attack Linux/OSS.

    >
    > Once more for the hard of brain power : I use testing. Not
    > unstable. And I use it for a reason - Debian Stable is simply too
    > buggy and backward and I cant be arsed to manage pinning or
    > selectively monitoring backports.
    >
    >
    >>>> Don't confuse laughing at COLA "advocates" as disliking
    >>>> Linux.
    >>>
    >>> You are laughing at nobody. You try to insult anybody with
    >>> your trash. Part of the reason is your extreme jealousy
    >>> about anyone who achieved something in life.

    >>
    >> Uh huh! I do not recall a single post from you where you are
    >> not insulting people. In fact you hate so many people you even
    >> managed to alienate the COLA gang half the time. Unless
    >> having Willy "me too" Poaster as your friend is an
    >> achievement.

    >
    > Another instance of insulting by altering forum posting nyms.
    > Looks more like the tail wagging the dog. .


    And what about Hardon Quack's "friends", like Michael Snit Glasser, Moshe
    Flatfish Goldfarb &....errr....hang on, aren't they also his fellow "me
    too" trolls? Some achievement *that* is!

    Any wonder why Quack gets laughed at in various groups...

  9. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    > Quack snotted:
    >>
    >> Peter Khlmann writes:
    >>>
    >>> I know that your knowledge about linux is very limited. That you use
    >>> Debian I simply do *not* know. And I believe none of it

    >>
    >> I believe you. You're a twit.


    He's a twit, because he doesn't trust the words of "Hadron" Quack, the
    shameless, documented liar and anti-Linux troll?

    Why don't you just go off and me-too masturbate with that mentally-ill
    fsckwit who is currently calling himself "Moshe"?



  10. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:50:18 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> You KNOW I know more about it than the likes of
    >>> High Plains Hypocrite and Liarmutt.

    >
    > *snort*
    >
    >> Another thing I do *not* know. You have shown yourself too often as quite
    >> clueless about linux. They on the other hand have often enough posted
    >> articles where it could be seen that thewy indeed know their way around
    >> with linux

    >
    > I wonder if Hadron has ever installed Linux on an embedded system. And
    > taken apart an initrd image and manually modified it to provide a
    > proprietary driver. And edited a udev configuration to rename the
    > serial port for a USB-to-serial converter. Has he configured, built,
    > and installed a kernel, manually? Patched source code for a VMware
    > install? Hacked up wireless to get it working direct from a vendor
    > source-code archive? Installed a Debian using a 2.4 kernel install
    > (because SATA wasn't yet supported in the 2.6 debian kernel) and
    > bootstrapping it to 2.6 and dealing with all the changes in device
    > names?
    >
    > And I'm not even /close/ to being fully knowledgeable about all things
    > Linux. Not even close!
    >
    >>> God knows I have corrected them enough about it.

    >
    > Of course, I'm no kernel hacker, like Hadron.
    >
    >> You did nothing of that sort. Using the Snot Glasser method of claiming
    >> to "have someone educated" when you learned the very same knowledge just
    >> then (and often enough by the very person you "educated") isn't going to
    >> work. You are a liar
    >>
    >>> And I certainly know more about it than you.

    >
    > *snort*
    >
    >> Now that is really hilarious. Even *if* you started using linux about 2
    >> years ago (you didn't), that would give me a headstart of more than 8 years

    >
    > I've got about a six-year head start on the poor fool.


    I have eight or nine.

    > Not all that long ago, you had to do quite a bit of hand-hacking to get
    > things to work in Debian. So no surprise if you learn more that way.
    >
    > I will admit that Hadron might be a better one to advise the newbies, as
    > I tend to go the DIY route too much, not being so familiar with the
    > newer tools.
    >
    >>> Don't confuse laughing at COLA "advocates" as disliking Linux.

    >>
    >> You are laughing at nobody. You try to insult anybody with your trash. Part
    >> of the reason is your extreme jealousy about anyone who achieved something
    >> in life.

    >
    > Hadron is simply a freakin' troll. Strong talk, weak substance.
    >
    > I hear tell he's a bicycle racer in the mold of Lance Armstrong, though.


    Apparently he used to infect a cycle newsgroup with his drivel, before he
    got started on linux.

    "Is this the same Hadron Quark asshole from rec.bicycles.misc?"
    Bill Barka - aolu - August 2007.

  11. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:55:34 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Every single time they have tried to "teach" something about
    >>> Debian they have been incorrect. The Google logs are there.

    >>
    >> Oh, the "other party is always wrong" theory, hence why they ran
    >> him out on a rail in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    >
    > You know what Hadron thinks is "wrong"? Me saying that you can easily,
    > once you've mastered manual installs of the kernel, install the
    > proprietary Nvidia driver.
    >
    > Nothing wrong with that at all, except that Debian has their own way of
    > doing it, which I don't use because it is, *to me*, more difficult than
    > just building a new kernel, downloading the nvidia package, and running
    > it.
    >
    > Not a method newbies would want to use.
    >
    > That's what Hadron means by "wrong".


    Yeah, 'cos he probably can't do it. ;-)

    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6fff80adc9812c
    >>
    >> [quote]

    >
    >
    >
    >> Another instance of insulting by altering forum posting nyms.
    >> Looks more like the tail wagging the dog.

    >
    > Hadron is an angry, self-important gas-bag.


    An "arrogant asshole", he was described as in aolu.


  12. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX


    "Hadron" wrote in message
    news:gcvgbr$dbp$1@registered.motzarella.org...

    > 3dfx created their own API because OGL was going nowhere. Plus they
    > wanted an proprietary system and they almost got it - Glide. The needed
    > an API which would WORK with existing/evailable/in development
    > hardware. Do you have any IDEA of the costs of OGL acceleration back
    > then? Hell, IBM tried with OGL in OS/2 in their multimedia extensions
    > and it was a joke. A whale flapping around at about 3 frames a minute
    > while next door someone was playing Unreal on SLI Voodoo cards using
    > glide or (if lucky) their crappy D3d layer.


    Glide was a bad idea in the long haul. It was really thin abstraction of
    their first-generation hardware that didn't even survive a trivial change in
    the hardware. In the Voodoo2 family they added hardware reciprocal division
    and that did break their vertex layout, which assumed
    post-perspective-division vertex components. Outch. Meanwhile, OpenGL had it
    nailed down right from the start.

    The problem, that I can see, with OpenGL in a long haul is the layered
    approach and how it makes writing a nice clean driver a mess. At end of the
    day, the HAL that OGL and D3D drivers run on top of, use vertex buffer
    objects, or some proprietary HAL's idea of one. Even the immediate mode
    rendering calls are converted into a (temporary) vertex buffer object, which
    is pseudo-freed when the draw command that uses the specific (temporary) vbo
    is processed. OpenGL ES is more towards the direction they should have gone
    much earlier. If you follow Khronos Group's activities, you might notice
    that there is some pressure to move OGLES into the desktop environment's
    direction.

    D3D. Well, it used to be a piece of ****. MS got something right with the
    execute buffers, but the developers found them too "difficult" to use. So
    they went more towards the OGL-like approach of DrawElements/DrawPrimitive
    land. They sticked to that road ever since, but the execute buffer approach
    was and is more streamlined.. because, that is basically what the HAL does
    compile from the user API call input anyhows. We just have extra translation
    layer there depending on the higher level API and the underlying HAL. NV and
    ATI drivers don't talk directly to the HW, they always have this HAL between
    the hw and the high-level graphics API. The idea is that they can share the
    same high-level front-end between different hardware generations and
    architectures.

    The interesting thing to note is where the hardware is going. It is going to
    more generic programmability. The higher level API's job is mostly to supply
    data for the shaders. Here come the vertex data, here comes the textures,
    uniforms.. how to supply varyings for the fragment programes and so forth.
    It's less interesting if this API is D3D or OGL or something else.

    Glide was too low-level to fit this evolutionary ladder. At the time, I used
    to _love_ Glide because it was straightforward.. very easy way to program
    the reasonably nice 3dfx hardware. At the time, it was great stuff. But,
    well, that API is buried under the rock and dead for any practical purpose.
    So much for that, huh?


  13. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:37:39 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Peter Khlmann wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Really? In all the examples I provided, MS simply ignored or even
    >> acted *against* users wishes.
    >> So how come you can claim with a straight face that users are
    >> important to them? All they have done in the past shows that for MS
    >> users are only good for buying their latest incarnation of garbage

    >
    > Signed, Peter Kohlmann
    > Lying Swine
    > Lifelong Windows Developer
    > Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way


    Koalmann sure does love two words:

    idiot and swine.

    I wonder if the kids in the playground used to taunt him with those words
    when he was a kid.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:39:36 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > William Poaster writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:13:33 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>>
    >>>> Matt wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>>
    >>>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for trolling purposes
    >>>
    >>> He knows Debian well enough to have screwed up his apt by mixing in etch
    >>> backports with a lenny install.

    >>
    >> Why am I not surprised at that.

    >
    > At Liarmutt telling lies?
    >
    > I brought Unstable components into Lenny. Different thing all
    > together. Why? Because somethings come into unstable and take ages to
    > move to testing (Lenny) and so you're screwed with newer HW at times.
    >
    > So : Cola Advocates tell lies and get caught out again.
    >
    > I also schooled him (politely enough to start) about him giving wrong
    > advice on using NVidia installers on Debian systems. But he is trying to
    > rewrite history, the sad little sycophantic arse kisser that he is.
    >
    > FWIW, Pinning/Backports etc are very powerful.


    It's the COLA gang bang all trying to re-write history.

    Ever notice how Willy Poaster is always last at the gang bang?
    Weird.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  15. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:36:14 +0200, Peter Khlmann wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Khlmann writes:
    >>
    >>> Matt wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>
    >>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for trolling purposes

    >>
    >> And this virtual machine gave me all my knowledge about the video system
    >> hey Peter you paranoid twit?
    >>
    >> You know I use Debian.

    >
    > Nope. I know that your knowledge about linux is very limited. That you use
    > Debian I simply do *not* know. And I believe none of it
    >
    >> You KNOW I know more about it than the likes of
    >> High Plains Hypocrite and Liarmutt.

    >
    > Another thing I do *not* know. You have shown yourself too often as quite
    > clueless about linux. They on the other hand have often enough posted
    > articles where it could be seen that thewy indeed know their way around
    > with linux
    >
    >> God knows I have corrected them enough about it.

    >
    > You did nothing of that sort. Using the Snot Glasser method of claiming
    > to "have someone educated" when you learned the very same knowledge just
    > then (and often enough by the very person you "educated") isn't going to
    > work. You are a liar
    >
    >> And I certainly know more about it than you.

    >
    > Now that is really hilarious. Even *if* you started using linux about 2
    > years ago (you didn't), that would give me a headstart of more than 8 years
    >
    >> Don't confuse laughing at COLA "advocates" as disliking Linux.
    >>

    >
    > You are laughing at nobody. You try to insult anybody with your trash. Part
    > of the reason is your extreme jealousy about anyone who achieved something
    > in life.


    Hadron solved my Nvidia video problems with one post which is more than the
    rest of you were able to do.
    And I *know* you're the last person, Peter Kohlman, that I would ask a
    video question to.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:12:19 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:55:34 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Every single time they have tried to "teach" something about
    >>>> Debian they have been incorrect. The Google logs are there.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, the "other party is always wrong" theory, hence why they ran
    >>> him out on a rail in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    >>
    >> You know what Hadron thinks is "wrong"? Me saying that you can easily,
    >> once you've mastered manual installs of the kernel, install the
    >> proprietary Nvidia driver.
    >>
    >> Nothing wrong with that at all, except that Debian has their own way of
    >> doing it, which I don't use because it is, *to me*, more difficult than
    >> just building a new kernel, downloading the nvidia package, and running
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Not a method newbies would want to use.
    >>
    >> That's what Hadron means by "wrong".

    >
    > Yeah, 'cos he probably can't do it. ;-)
    >
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6fff80adc9812c
    >>>
    >>> [quote]

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Another instance of insulting by altering forum posting nyms.
    >>> Looks more like the tail wagging the dog.

    >>
    >> Hadron is an angry, self-important gas-bag.

    >
    > An "arrogant asshole", he was described as in aolu.


    LiarMutt is Roy's lapdog.
    William Poaster is the other dog licking LiarMutt's a$$.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  17. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Oct 13, 12:21*pm, Wolfgang Draxinger
    wrote:
    > > Nobody is locking you into anything.


    Other people are making that choice for me ... every time
    they choose (eg.) Direct3D as their rendering API .

    > Anyway: If you're designing your projects carefully, then it
    > should be fairly easy to replace components like the renderer or
    > user input subsystem. If you did it well, then you crafted
    > carefully a slim abstraction layer around the core components,
    > shielding any platform specific stuff.
    >


    These days I don't do anything without an abstraction
    layer - it's the first thing I do when coding something.

    My 3D Modeller can switch between OpenGL and Direct3D
    via a command line switch.


    --
    <\___/>
    / O O \
    \_____/ FTB.

    http://www.topaz3d.com/ - New 3D editor!

  18. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:39:36 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster writes:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:13:33 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >>>> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Matt wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I use Debian.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Yeah ... why do you do that?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> He does not. He pretends to use it
    >>>>> Installing it in a virtual machine goes a long way for trolling purposes
    >>>>
    >>>> He knows Debian well enough to have screwed up his apt by mixing in etch
    >>>> backports with a lenny install.
    >>>
    >>> Why am I not surprised at that.

    >>
    >> At Liarmutt telling lies?
    >>
    >> I brought Unstable components into Lenny. Different thing all
    >> together. Why? Because somethings come into unstable and take ages to
    >> move to testing (Lenny) and so you're screwed with newer HW at times.
    >>
    >> So : Cola Advocates tell lies and get caught out again.
    >>
    >> I also schooled him (politely enough to start) about him giving wrong
    >> advice on using NVidia installers on Debian systems. But he is trying to
    >> rewrite history, the sad little sycophantic arse kisser that he is.
    >>
    >> FWIW, Pinning/Backports etc are very powerful.

    >
    > It's the COLA gang bang all trying to re-write history.
    >
    > Ever notice how Willy Poaster is always last at the gang bang?
    > Weird.


    Sometimes I think I am goign crazy when I read LiarmuttÄs posts. Did you
    see the threads in question. I provided a reasoned explanation and links
    as to how he was wrong. I also pointed out numerous times WHY and HOW I
    used Unstable components in my Lenny setup. Are these guys lying or
    simply incompetent?!?!?! Please tell me you saw and understood what I
    said before? DFS? Anyone? Are these guys for real!?!?!

    --
    "If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two."
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they the lunacy in advocacy

  19. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    fungus writes:

    > On Oct 13, 12:21*pm, Wolfgang Draxinger
    > wrote:
    >> > Nobody is locking you into anything.

    >
    > Other people are making that choice for me ... every time
    > they choose (eg.) Direct3D as their rendering API .
    >
    >> Anyway: If you're designing your projects carefully, then it
    >> should be fairly easy to replace components like the renderer or
    >> user input subsystem. If you did it well, then you crafted
    >> carefully a slim abstraction layer around the core components,
    >> shielding any platform specific stuff.
    >>

    >
    > These days I don't do anything without an abstraction
    > layer - it's the first thing I do when coding something.
    >
    > My 3D Modeller can switch between OpenGL and Direct3D
    > via a command line switch.
    >
    >
    > --
    > <\___/>
    > / O O \
    > \_____/ FTB.
    >
    > http://www.topaz3d.com/ - New 3D editor!


    There is a LOT of big talk here.

    To insert your OWN 3d API which can translate seamlessly application
    code to either D3D or OpenGL is far from trivial as you well know. For a
    start it means a total and comprehensive understanding of the functional
    overlap of the two APIs and how best to down layer any needs which you
    might wish to use on one but isnt available on the other. Sure, rotating
    a few cubes is fine. But when we start looking at stuff like:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jaIya9vUNI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfWpCTATUA

    It gets a tad more tricky ....

    --
    "Are Linux systems perfect. Uh, no."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  20. Re: OpenGL versus DirectX

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:21:23 +0200, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >>> ...and locked you into a windows-only world where they
    >>> can produce things like Windows Vista without losing any
    >>> market share - it's waiting for you on all new PCs!.

    >>
    >> Nobody is locking you into anything.
    >> Use a Mac.
    >> Use Linux.
    >> Use BSD
    >> Use OS/2.
    >> Use Solaris.
    >> etc..

    >
    > Using DirectX above version 8 practically locks you to Windows.
    > WINE has only partial support for DX8, not to speak of DX9
    > (though I expect, that there's going to be a fairly good clone
    > of DX10 someday, as v10's design is much cleaner and better
    > documented).
    >
    > Anyway: If you're designing your projects carefully, then it
    > should be fairly easy to replace components like the renderer or
    > user input subsystem. If you did it well, then you crafted
    > carefully a slim abstraction layer around the core components,
    > shielding any platform specific stuff.
    >
    > Last time I checked, that layer took about only 10% of my 3D
    > engine's core code, about 20k LOC, also containing and
    > abstracting stuff like access to the OS's memory management -
    > malloc just isn't up to the job, when it comes to delayed
    > loading of higher LOD levels, doing the job manually with
    > mmap/mremap/munmap or VirtualAlloc/MemoryMove/VirtualFree is
    > superior.
    >
    > Wolfgang Draxinger


    Thanks Wolfgang!
    My bad for not realizing where the discussion turned, despite the subject
    being accurate.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast