PC makers are going down along with Vista! - Linux

This is a discussion on PC makers are going down along with Vista! - Linux ; Wanting to buy a new PC I searched for one that has XP drivers available for it so I can ditch Vista which is ussually loaded on the thing. Problem is, it's harder and harder to find PC's which have ...

  1. PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Wanting to buy a new PC I searched for one that has XP drivers available for it so I can ditch Vista which is ussually loaded on the thing. Problem is, it's harder and harder to find PC's which have both XP and Vista drivers, most new designs only have Vista drivers available for them. This spells disaster for the PC makers since people will simply stop buying PC's if they don't have the option to downgrade to XP.

    I recently downgraded someone's laptop (a high end HP laptop) to XP, and another person asked me to help them downgrading their Vista laptop to XP as well. Even if Vista is being sold with new PC's, virtually no one uses it in the wild.

  2. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Dave U. Random writes:

    > Wanting to buy a new PC I searched for one that has XP drivers available for it so I can ditch Vista which is ussually loaded on the thing. Problem is, it's harder and harder to find PC's which have both XP and Vista drivers, most new designs only have Vista drivers available for them. This spells disaster for the PC makers since people will simply stop buying PC's if they don't have the option to downgrade to XP.
    >
    > I recently downgraded someone's laptop (a high end HP laptop) to XP, and another person asked me to help them downgrading their Vista laptop to XP as well. Even if Vista is being sold with new PC's, virtually no one uses it in the wild.

    And it never crossed your mind to Google up the XP drivers for the HW?

    Nice nym btw.

  3. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Dave U. Random writes:
    >
    >> Wanting to buy a new PC I searched for one that has XP drivers available
    >> for it so I can ditch Vista which is ussually loaded on the thing.
    >> Problem is, it's harder and harder to find PC's which have both XP and
    >> Vista drivers, most new designs only have Vista drivers available for
    >> them. This spells disaster for the PC makers since people will simply
    >> stop buying PC's if they don't have the option to downgrade to XP.
    >>
    >> I recently downgraded someone's laptop (a high end HP laptop) to XP, and
    >> another person asked me to help them downgrading their Vista laptop to XP
    >> as well. Even if Vista is being sold with new PC's, virtually no one uses
    >> it in the wild.
    >>

    > And it never crossed your mind to Google up the XP drivers for the HW?

    Certainly. After all, it is soooo easy to find drivers which the hardware
    makers don't supply
    Isn't this what you wintendo fanbois are telling all day: With windows it is
    *easy* to set up a machine. All hardware works, because the drivers are
    supplied.
    You might have to discard last years brand new printer perhaps, because you
    can't get Vista drivers for it. Or, to still use it (along with your nearly
    new scanner) you upgrade to XP and then can't get certain PC stuff to work

    Nice driver situation you've got there

    Spot the flaws

    --
    Tact, n.:
    The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

  4. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> Dave U. Random writes:
    >>
    >>> Wanting to buy a new PC I searched for one that has XP drivers available
    >>> for it so I can ditch Vista which is ussually loaded on the thing.
    >>> Problem is, it's harder and harder to find PC's which have both XP and
    >>> Vista drivers, most new designs only have Vista drivers available for
    >>> them. This spells disaster for the PC makers since people will simply
    >>> stop buying PC's if they don't have the option to downgrade to XP.
    >>>
    >>> I recently downgraded someone's laptop (a high end HP laptop) to XP, and
    >>> another person asked me to help them downgrading their Vista laptop to XP
    >>> as well. Even if Vista is being sold with new PC's, virtually no one uses
    >>> it in the wild.
    >>>

    >> And it never crossed your mind to Google up the XP drivers for the HW?

    > Certainly. After all, it is soooo easy to find drivers which the hardware
    > makers don't supply

    Erm, if they dont supply the drivers then dont buy that HW for XP
    downgrades.

    Its quite common here to hear "check the compatibility before installing
    Linux". And sage advice it is too.

    --
    "BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!"

  5. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> And it never crossed your mind to Google up the XP drivers for the HW?

    >> Certainly. After all, it is soooo easy to find drivers which the hardware
    >> makers don't supply

    > Erm, if they dont supply the drivers then dont buy that HW for XP
    > downgrades.

    So, why then google for the XP drivers? Either you know before that the
    hardware is supported, or you are in the exact same postion I described

    > Its quite common here to hear "check the compatibility before installing
    > Linux". And sage advice it is too.

    What happened to the "windows just works" mantra of you windroids and
    win-fanbois?
    Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not since
    quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for hardware
    which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW manufacturers don't
    bother to supply new drivers.
    They are too occupied with the alpha-quality drivers of their "new" hardware
    --
    Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

  6. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    >>> Certainly. After all, it is soooo easy to find drivers which the hardware
    >>> makers don't supply

    >> Erm, if they dont supply the drivers then dont buy that HW for XP
    >> downgrades.

    > So, why then google for the XP drivers? Either you know before that the
    > hardware is supported, or you are in the exact same postion I
    > described

    Wrong. You can have the HW and not "know". Googling will almost
    certainly reveal a solution. You know as well as I do that there will be
    drivers for 99.99999999% of HW out there for XP.

    How can it not be so?

    XP is the dominant marketplace OS by a long way.

    >> Its quite common here to hear "check the compatibility before installing
    >> Linux". And sage advice it is too.
    >>

    > What happened to the "windows just works" mantra of you windroids and
    > win-fanbois?
    > Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not since
    > quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for hardware
    > which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW manufacturers don't
    > bother to supply new drivers.
    > They are too occupied with the alpha-quality drivers of their "new"
    > hardware

    I think Vista is a piece of junk. XP worked well for me when I used it.

    --
    "This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable."

  7. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Its quite common here to hear "check the compatibility before installing
    >> Linux". And sage advice it is too.

    Sounds more like rosemary to me.

    > What happened to the "windows just works" mantra of you windroids and
    > win-fanbois?
    > Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not since
    > quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for hardware
    > which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW manufacturers don't
    > bother to supply new drivers.
    > They are too occupied with the alpha-quality drivers of their "new" hardware

    PC manufacturers are driven by feature-itis, squeezed by low profit
    margins, fighting a migration to ultra-portable devices, carrying an
    800-lb gorilla. And just when they got some stability on the Windows
    side, the gorilla goes ape**** on 'em with Vista.

    I wonder how many of those 6 Gb 64-bit Vista systems Office Depot is
    selling at "COMPUTER BLOWOUT" prices? Office Depot hitched its wagon to
    the Microsoft monkey, and it's been downhill ever since.

    http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=O...urce=undefined

    --
    You are as I am with You.

  8. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    "Dave U. Random" wrote in message
    > Wanting to buy a new PC I searched for one that has XP drivers available
    > for it so I can ditch Vista which is ussually loaded on the thing. Problem
    > is, it's harder and harder to find PC's which have both XP and Vista
    > drivers, most new designs only have Vista drivers available for them. This
    > spells disaster for the PC makers since people will simply stop buying
    > PC's if they don't have the option to downgrade to XP.
    >
    > I recently downgraded someone's laptop (a high end HP laptop) to XP, and
    > another person asked me to help them downgrading their Vista laptop to XP
    > as well. Even if Vista is being sold with new PC's, virtually no one uses
    > it in the wild.

    Specifically what hardware only has Vista drivers but not XP drivers?
    Everything that I've bought in the last year has drivers for both.

  9. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    On 2008-10-10, Hadron wrote:
    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> And it never crossed your mind to Google up the XP drivers for the HW?

    >> Certainly. After all, it is soooo easy to find drivers which the hardware
    >> makers don't supply

    > Erm, if they dont supply the drivers then dont buy that HW for XP
    > downgrades.
    >
    > Its quite common here to hear "check the compatibility before installing
    > Linux". And sage advice it is too.

    Yeah, but this is the "market leader" and the "monopoly" we're
    talking about here. What's the point of bothering with McOS if you
    can't be sure it will "run everything". "Running everything" was the
    whole point of WinDOS to begin with.

    Runnng badly is one thing. Not running at all just plain pathetic...

    --

    Unfortunately, the universe will not conform itself to
    your fantasies. You have to manage based on what really happens |||

  10. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Peter Khlmann wrote:

    > Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not
    > since quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for
    > hardware which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW
    > manufacturers don't bother to supply new drivers.

    Give us 3 examples, luser.

  11. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:21:11 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Khlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> And it never crossed your mind to Google up the XP drivers for the HW?

    >> Certainly. After all, it is soooo easy to find drivers which the hardware
    >> makers don't supply

    > Erm, if they dont supply the drivers then dont buy that HW for XP
    > downgrades.

    Exactly.

    > Its quite common here to hear "check the compatibility before installing
    > Linux". And sage advice it is too.

    Linux users have no choice.
    The sad part is, even when their hardware is *supported*, the level of
    support and features that will completely work with Linux sometimes differs
    compared to the same hardware under Windows.

    Sometimes even when the hardware is pre loaded with Linux, things don't
    work correctly.

    Imagine turning on your brand new laptop that is pre loaded with Linux,
    from the manufacturer, only to be met with a readme file that details all
    the features that don't work with Linux.

    Talk about box it up and return time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  12. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    DFS wrote:

    > Peter Khlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not
    >> since quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for
    >> hardware which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW
    >> manufacturers don't bother to supply new drivers.

    > Give us 3 examples, luser.

    Here is a Hadron Quark advice: Google them

    --
    Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

  13. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Peter K?hlmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not
    >>> since quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for
    >>> hardware which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW
    >>> manufacturers don't bother to supply new drivers.

    >> Give us 3 examples, luser.

    > Here is a Hadron Quark advice: Google them

    "not supported by Vista"

    Results 1 - 10 of about 946 for "not supported by Vista"

    Hardly comprehensive or precise, though.

    --
    Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at the blank sheet of paper until
    drops of blood form on your forehead.

  14. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Peter Khlmann wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Khlmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not
    >>> since quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for
    >>> hardware which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW
    >>> manufacturers don't bother to supply new drivers.

    >> Give us 3 examples, luser.

    > Here is a Hadron Quark advice: Google them

    So you're a lazy liar.

    Figures.

  15. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Khlmann

    wrote
    on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:51:19 +0200
    <48efa427$0$6612$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Peter K?hlmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not
    >>> since quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for
    >>> hardware which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW
    >>> manufacturers don't bother to supply new drivers.

    >> Give us 3 examples, luser.

    > Here is a Hadron Quark advice: Google them

    You're going to have to do slightly better than that. ;-)
    Not that it's impossible, of course; nor is it clear to
    me what DFS actually wants, apart from us acknowledging
    that Linux is a piece of horrid junk (which of course it
    isn't) and that Windows Vista betters it in all respects
    (which it clearly doesn't, according to the below articles).

    One entry Google coughs up is at

    http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/inde...howtopic=10334

    which shows three broad categories of "hardwares":

    - Compatible Hardwares
    - (Hardwares with) Problems which can be solved
    - Inompatible (sic) Hardwares with heavy problems

    The list of devices is incomplete but might be useful
    to some.

    Another list coughed up is at:

    http://reviews.ebay.com/Windows-Vist...00000004259869

    A slightly bizarre thread also showed up:

    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardwa...ompatible.html

    or

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...incompati.aspx

    Apparently the original post by "DaleTang"/"DaleTango"
    relates to a brand new Vaio (this is dated December
    2007, and he is not more specific; a quick pullup of
    Sonystyle.com suggests JS, LV, RT, LT series on the
    desktop, and TZ, Z, SR, CS, NS, FW, and AR series on
    notebooks), which for reason or reasons unknown is
    (now?) unable to see the CD/DVD unit in Windows Vista,
    or boot from the CD/DVD unit (the article isn't horribly
    clear on that point since during booting one would expect
    a BIOS control screen, not the Windows device manager).

    It is possible a "transparent" upgrade got into the
    works, and may have fouled things up; DaleTango's third
    post states that "its literally a month old and working
    fine just a few days ago. Took no knocks or anything".
    (This contradicts his point of it being brand new in the
    first post, but such is a very minor quibble; certainly a
    laptop that's a month old shouldn't get outdated drivers
    during an update. Should it??)

    For its part Dell offers
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support...372&l=en&s=gen

    (dunno if this is specific to Europe or not); one of the
    more interesting incompatibilities is Earthlink. Of
    course I use Earthlink through hardware NAT anyway, so
    have no real use for their actual software.

    One of the more amusing (in a schadenfreudenlich way,
    anyway) entries:

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ows_vista.html

    or

    http://www.nforcershq.com/zune-incom...causes-a-stir/

    Oops! One hopes this has been fixed by now, as the
    articles are dated Nov 2006, but that has to be
    slightly embarrassing for all concerned, especially
    for whoever is flat on the grass...

    Here's a call for help from a user who is using
    a USB modem:

    http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Mo...topict866.html

    Apparently this is an ADSL unit supported by British Telecom.
    Not good, if one wants to get online in Great Britain and
    has Vista and this modem. I hope the user has/had a few
    free dialup hours and a lot of patience...

    Another call for help....one has to ask the obvious
    question as to how the screen can display an incompatibility
    message if the screen driver doesn't exist to display
    the message. Of course the obvious answer is that it's
    using VGA/VESA or some such, but I thought only Linux
    gives out partial functionality for hardware, with Vista
    taking full advantage of all of the goodness of a user's
    components or something...

    http://www.technologyquestions.com/t...en-driver.html

    So Windows just works, transparently, obviously.

    Not.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  16. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    DFS wrote:

    > Peter Khlmann wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Give us 3 examples, luser.

    >> Here is a Hadron Quark advice: Google them

    > So you're a lazy liar.
    >
    > Figures.

    Go tell that your hero Hadron Quark.
    --
    I doubt, therefore I might be.

  17. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    Peter Khlmann wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Khlmann wrote:

    >>> Here is a Hadron Quark advice: Google them

    >> So you're a lazy liar.
    >>
    >> Figures.

    > Go tell that your hero Hadron Quark.

    What does Hadron have to do with anything? It's you making claims you won't
    support.

  18. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    DFS wrote:

    > Peter Khlmann wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> So you're a lazy liar.
    >>>
    >>> Figures.

    >> Go tell that your hero Hadron Quark.

    > What does Hadron have to do with anything? It's you making claims you
    > won't support.

    And this would be different from Hadron Quarks behaviour? He does it *all*
    *the* *time*
    I am at least supplying proof now and then, when I am feeling generous.
    He simply does never. Hadron Quark is lying his ass off whith lunatic
    claims, and you guys applaud him

    So, here again: Do like Hadron Quark says: Google it yourself
    After all, you are the one who can't get even simple google search strings
    right, so do some pratice
    --
    Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

  19. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48efa427$0$6612$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/10/08 11:51 AM:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Peter K�hlmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Face it, HAdron Quark, windows no longer "just works". And does not
    >>> since quite some time. You're actually lucky if you find drivers for
    >>> hardware which is just 1 year old, as way too often the MW
    >>> manufacturers don't bother to supply new drivers.

    >> Give us 3 examples, luser.

    > Here is a Hadron Quark advice: Google them

    What happened for your passion for message IDs, Peter?

    Oh.

    You are a hypocrite.

    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)

  20. Re: PC makers are going down along with Vista!

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48f0b4b0$0$6603$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/11/08 7:14 AM:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Peter K�hlmann wrote:

    >>> Go tell that your hero Hadron Quark.

    >> What does Hadron have to do with anything? It's you making claims you
    >> won't support.

    > And this would be different from Hadron Quarks behaviour? He does it *all*
    > *the* *time*

    What you think others do or do not do is irrelevant, Peter.

    The fact is you make claims you will not support. You, Peter. You make
    accusations you cannot support. You simply make things up, Peter.

    You are a liar.

    That is the fact that is relevant here. You are a liar.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

+ Reply to Thread