MaXX Interactive Desktop Brings a Little SGI to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The MaXX Interactive Desktop is an effort to bring the IRIX Interactive
| Desktop to Linux (please note that this is a continuation of the 5dwm.org
| implementation, so not a case of re-inventing the wheel). In order to achieve
| this, MaXX Interactive, the commercial entity behind the project, has "a
| special license agreement from SGI enabling itself to push for a full
| implementation on Linux"

SGI Further Opens Its OpenGL Contributions

SGI relicenses OpenGL: "A huge gift to the free software community"

,----[ Quote ]
| After nine months, an open secret can finally be acknowledged: The OpenGL
| code that is responsible for 3-D acceleration on GNU/Linux, which was
| released by SGI in 1999, has been running on licenses that were accepted by
| neither the Free Software Foundation (FSF) nor the Open Source Initiative.
| Today, however, the FSF has announced that the licenses in question, the SGI
| Free License B and the GLX Public License, have been rewritten after months
| of negotiation between the FSF and SGI. The problem is now resolved, and the
| result is a code contribution that the FSF ranks as one of the greatest given
| to the community by a proprietary company.

Thank you SGI, for freeing the GNU/Linux 3D desktop!

,----[ Quote ]
| In January of 2008, software code at the heart of GNU/Linux 3D applications
| was discovered to be non-free—a potential disaster for free software
| advocates hoping to see advanced graphical acceleration now common on modern
| operating systems.

SGI Platforms Running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1 Clear IT Security Hurdle

| Passing the evaluation, which was performed by atsec, means that SGI Altix
| systems received Common Criteria Security Certification EAL 4+ from the
| National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP), a U.S. Government
| initiative developed to meet the security testing needs of both IT consumers
| and producers.

SGI Pushes Into Data Warehousing with Linux Supers and Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| Specifically, SGI is partnering with database maker Oracle to create data
| warehouses that run on its Linux-based Altix supercomputers. The solution
| that the two companies have come up with is called the Adaptive Data
| Warehouse, and it combines Altix servers, SGI's InfiniteStorage disk arrays,
| and the Oracle database with the Real Application Clusters (RAC) clustered
| database extensions.

SGI slots 'Seaburg' chipset into blades

,----[ Quote ]
| Altix ICE blades now include SGI ProPack for Linux, which gives granular
| control over throughput and I/O performance. The blades also include an
| updated version of SGI's Tempo cluster management tool. Tempo lets admins
| restrict traffic within the rack or within the blades themselves to keep
| extraneous traffic off the network.

SGI: Still Alive And Kicking

,----[ Quote ]
| Changing times. IRIX and MIPS, the company's proprietary Unix and
| semiconductors, respectively, fell out of favor as the industry shifted to
| x86 and Linux.

Born-Again SGI Spreads Its Wings

,----[ Quote ]
| Another key aspect of their strategy in this market is the company's
| Industrial Strength Linux Environment (ISLE) initiative, aimed at creating a
| software environment that meets the expectations of high performance business
| computing customers.

SGI Launches Blade-Style Altix Linux Supers

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Altix Integrated Compute Environment is another step in the
| evolution of SGI, which has created a respected Altix platform using
| NUMA clustering of Itanium processors to create very large and very
| *powerful global memory clusters that run Linux.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)