Microsoft patents 'Page Up' and 'Page Down', it is approaching the10,000th patent - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft patents 'Page Up' and 'Page Down', it is approaching the10,000th patent - Linux ; This sounds like coming from Ripley: http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-2...ml?tag=nl.e550 -RFH...

  1. Microsoft patents 'Page Up' and 'Page Down', it is approaching the10,000th patent

    This sounds like coming from Ripley:

    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-2...ml?tag=nl.e550

    -RFH

  2. Re: Microsoft patents 'Page Up' and 'Page Down', it is approaching the 10,000th patent

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Thursday 09 October 2008 21:17 : \____

    > This sounds like coming from Ripley:
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-2...ml?tag=nl.e550
    >
    > -RFH

    That's why nothing good comes from Microsoft. They write papers instead of
    actual code.

    Regarding # of patents, Nathan Myhrvold/IV, Microsoft's patent troll[1], has
    more than twice that number. It harvests for extortion [2], potentially on
    behalf of its Microsoft genesis[3]. They have progressed to neo-colonialism
    now [4-6].

    "Intellectual property is the next software."

    --Nathan Myhrvold
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/55777/page/2

    ___

    [1] Nathan Myhrvold: Alpha patent troll?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Former Microsoft exec Nathan Myhrvold has been collecting patents, extracting
    | fees from technology companies via his company Intellectual Ventures. Is
    | Myhrvold a patent troll with tech cred?
    |
    | The Wall Street Journal has a long account of Myhrvold’s patent collecting
    | efforts and how he is winning multimillion dollar payments from the likes of
    | Verizon and Cisco. These payments are top secret material, but Myhrvold’s
    | firm is the one reaping the rewards. Intellectual Ventures has more than
    | 20,000 patents. In many respects, Myhrvold is just a patent trader. A few
    | lawsuits could define him as a troll quickly though.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10069

    [2] Invention Capitalism & the Law: Checking in on Nathan Myhrvold

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Myhrvold told the WSJ that he acknowledges facing resistance from companies
    | he targets for licenses. But his patent inventory gives him leverage to
    | extract settlements without litigation. “I say, ‘I can’t afford to sue you on
    | all of these, and you can’t afford to defend on all these,’” he said.
    `----

    http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/09/17/...than-myhrvold/

    [3] Transcript: Myhrvold of Intellectual Ventures

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nathan Myhrvold: The genesis of this idea was when I was at Microsoft. We had
    | a problem with patent liability. All these people were coming to sue us or
    | demand payment. And Bill (Gates) asked me to think about if there was a
    | solution. This is what I came up with.
    |
    | WSJ: So you think that you're actually protecting companies from more
    | settlements or bigger payments down the road?
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122142717791833671.html

    [4] Tech Guru Riles the Industry By Seeking Huge Patent Fees

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Millionaire Nathan Myhrvold, renowned in the computer industry as a
    | Renaissance man, has a less lofty message for tech companies these days: Pay
    | up.
    |
    | Over the past few years, the former Microsoft Corp. executive has quietly
    | amassed a trove of 20,000-plus patents and patent applications related to
    | everything from lasers to computer chips. He now ranks among the world's
    | largest patent-holders -- and is using that clout to press tech giants to
    | sign some of the costliest patent-licensing deals ever negotiated.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1221...googlenews_wsj

    [5] Controversial patent buyer to start Indian operations in Oct

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | New Delhi: Individual inventors and research organizations here may find
    | their patents turning liquid with the imminent entry of Intellectual Ventures
    | Llc., a controversial company that owns an estimated 20,000 patents and is in
    | the market for as many more as it can lay its hands on.
    |
    | The company has already entered into agreements to buy patents from the
    | Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Indian Institute of Technology,
    | Bombay, and is close to signing an agreement with the Council for Scientific
    | and Industrial Research, India’s largest research and development
    | organization, said a person familiar with the developments who did not want
    | to be named.
    `----

    http://www.livemint.com/2008/09/2500...-buyer-to.html

    [6] Intellectual Ventures turns its attention to India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intellectual Ventures is moving into India says a report published this
    | weekend. According to the Wall Street Journal’s Livemint Lounge, IV has
    | signed deals to acquire patents from the Indian Institute of Science,
    | Bangalore, IIT in Bombay, while it is close to signing an agreement with
    | Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
    |
    | What the report does not say is whether this is a deal for Indian patents,
    | for US patents or for patents internationally. My guess is that there is
    | going to have to be a pretty substantial international element. On that
    | front, it is worth noting that CSIR is by far the biggest Indian filer of
    | international patent applications, filing over 350 in the US alone between
    | 2005 and 2007.
    `----

    http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Det...9-a7b63e1fdd44

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.
    ~Linus Torvalds

+ Reply to Thread