[News] Symbian (Nokia) is an Enemy of Free Software: Plagues UK with Software Patents - Linux

  1. [News] Symbian (Nokia) is an Enemy of Free Software: Plagues UK with Software Patents

    Bad News on the UK Software Patent Front

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, no more unfair than not allowing physicists to patent the laws they
    | discover, or the theorems that mathematicians prove. The point is, software
    | is not "closer to a mathematical method", it *is* a mathematical method, or
    | rather a concatenation of them.
    |
    | All this juridical "on the one hand" and "on the other" in the interests
    | of "balance" does not change this. The current decision is seriously bad
    | news, because it opens the door to even more weaselly patent applications
    | that contort themselves into the magic position to gain the favour of
    | whichever Jesuit is on duty that day.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...ent-front.html

    Court ruling strengthens patent protection for UK software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technology companies will find it easier to safeguard their innovations in
    | the UK after a court ruled that software should receive wider patent
    | protection.
    |
    | The Court of Appeal said today that complex software such as programmes
    | designed to make mobile phones and computers work faster can be patented in
    | the UK.
    |
    | Previously, manufacturers could claim commercial exclusivity for their
    | products under copyright laws but had less legal protection for underlying
    | technical processes.
    |
    | As a result of the ruling, developers are likely to find it easier to secure
    | approval from the UK’s Intellectual Property Office (IPO), which has
    | traditionally been reluctant to grant patents to cover software.
    `----

    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4907993.ece

    Latest Decision on UK Software Patents Rejects UK-IPO Interpretation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today’s Court of Appeal decision on the Symbian case has affirmed that the UK
    | and European approaches to software patentability are fundamentally
    | compatible. This upholds a High Court decision which had overturned the
    | rejection by the UK-IPO of an application to patent “Mapping dynamic link
    | libraries in a computing device”.
    `----

    http://www.marks-clerk.com/attorneys...spx?newsid=220

    Court of Appeal delivers a software patent boost in the UK

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Companies looking to obtain and enforce software patents in the UK received a
    | boost today when the Court of Appeal ruled against the UK IP Office in its
    | appeal against a decision of the High Court in the Symbian case. The High
    | Court had overturned a UKIPO decision not to grant a patent to Symbian for an
    | accelerator relating to iPods, mobile phones and computers.
    `----

    http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Det...c-499c9e873f65

    First DRM (Nokia's fight against Ogg in HTML5) and now this...

    Recent:

    Some learning to do?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Companies like Nokia need to learn the open source way of working. This means
    | not only fulfilling the letter of GPL, LGPL etc. but also the spirit. In my
    | mind this means integrating the corporate work with the open source
    | community, participating, contributing back the code, building the code in
    | open projects and not only releasing it when mandatory, not forking, etc.
    `----

    http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2008/06/s...ing-to-do.html

    Nokia does not get it

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You better start playing by the rules because else the other companies might
    | do it faster than Nokia and you will lose the opportunity. Oh: And just as a
    | remind: when you go open source, you must play by the rules by honoring the
    | license of the software.
    |
    | Really, it’s sad to listen to things like this from someone controlling the
    | company who owns Trolltech *I am sure that the vice-president of companies
    | like Red Hat wouldn’t say nonsense like the above. But it’s no surprise
    | coming from someone in a company that seems to be absolutely in favor of
    | software patents in Europe according to FFII.
    `----

    http://edulix.wordpress.com/2008/06/...es-not-get-it/

    Oh please, educate me, Nokia.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nokia: “We want to educate open-source developers."
    |
    | Oh please, educate me, Nokia. Actually, never-mind. Kiss my ass instead. BTW,
    | I call it free software, not "open source".
    |
    | Nokia: "There are certain business rules [developers] need to obey, such as
    | DRM, IPR [intellectual property rights], SIM locks and subsidised business
    | models.”
    |
    | You think I need obey? I prefer civil disobedience. DRM? Why would I obey
    | your plan to steal my freedom? "Intellectual property"? What's that? There is
    | Copyright law and Patent law but to my knowledge, there is no "intellectual
    | property" law.
    |
    | It's a good idea to Boycott Nokia. They have an exceedingly imperious and
    | arrogant attitude. Didn't they just buy Trolltech? Whichever pinhead from
    | Nokia wrote this garbage just did a disservice to Trolltech. It makes
    | Trolltech look like obedient "open source" developers who are in the process
    | of being re-educated by Nokia.
    `----

    http://www.fsdaily.com/Community/Nok...t#comment-3323

    Ari Jaaksi of Nokia Wants to Educate the Linux Community

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But perhaps the community has some education for Jaaksi and Nokia. Jaaksi
    | hosted me at a Nokia dinner in 2000, he's a nice guy and has been interested
    | in Linux for a long time. But Nokia's barking up the wrong tree this time,
    | because Nokia can do everything it wants with DRM, IPR, and SIM locks without
    | bothering the Linux developers about it - and both Nokia and the Linux
    | developers will like it better that way. It's surprising that Nokia doesn't
    | understand that at this late date.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/11/43198

  2. Re: [News] Symbian (Nokia) is an Enemy of Free Software: Plagues UKwith Software Patents

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Bad News on the UK Software Patent Front
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Well, no more unfair than not allowing physicists to patent the laws they
    >| discover, or the theorems that mathematicians prove. The point is, software
    >| is not "closer to a mathematical method", it *is* a mathematical method, or
    >| rather a concatenation of them.
    >|
    >| All this juridical "on the one hand" and "on the other" in the interests
    >| of "balance" does not change this. The current decision is seriously bad
    >| news, because it opens the door to even more weaselly patent applications
    >| that contort themselves into the magic position to gain the favour of
    >| whichever Jesuit is on duty that day.
    > `----
    >
    > http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...ent-front.html

    This is a complete disaster... after years of the patent office taking
    the completely sane and sensible view, we've had a *legal expert*, not a
    mathematician, scientist or other competent person, instead a *lawyer*
    deciding what constitutes maths.

    The copyright system is perfect for the job, the patent system is likely
    to end up in the same corrupted and useless mess that the US system is
    now in.

    I retain my view that patents should be granted to people, only people,
    not any other kind of entity, and should be licensable, but not
    transferrable. That change would stop this abuse in an instant.