Live Streaming from Linux-Kongress For Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux-Kongress is by far one of the most traditional Linux conferences, with
| a focus on development and cutting-edge topics. If you're not able to join
| the program in Hamburg, Germany, in person, you can watch the keynotes from
| James Bottomley and Jason Corbet for free on Linux Magazine Online.

Richard Stallman: The Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux Operating System

Registration for Prof. Lessig’s Public Lecture on 24 October, 2008

Linux-Kongress 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux-Kongress is one of the original Linux development conferences. The 2008
| edition has been announced for October 7 to 10 in Hamburg, Germany.

Three German KDE Deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| The IT Service Center Berlin has announced the development of a desktop
| system for the public services in Germany's capital (Google Translate to
| English). This is yet another public body making the switch to the Free
| Desktop system

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
| Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
| BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
| story for ODF!

DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred Â*of the two thousand PCs used by
| the city council are now running OpenOffice.
| The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
| intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
| costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
| The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
| to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.

Ubuntu landed on Berlin metro system

,----[ Quote ]
| The guys from “Berliner Fenster”, a company responsible for the content of
| the television system installed inside underground vehicles (more than 3.700
| displays) were so kind (thank you!) providing us with a spot for our release
| party this Saturday for free. So just on time with the release starting from
| today there are small spots viewable by an audience of about 1.5 million
| people per day according to their web site.

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims Â*continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.

199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
| low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
| This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
| more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards.

The German Plan for Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The SAGA 4.0 document itself (PDF, 2.4 MB) states on page 114 that the Open
| Document Format (ODF) version 1.0 is a "Recommended" standard...
| [...]
| And it continues with stating PDF 1.4 as a mandatory standard (PDF 1.5 is a
| recommended standard, PDF 1.6 is a standard under observation).
| What are "Recommended" standards, "Mandatory" standards and standards "Under
| Observation"? Page 20 and page 21 explain the designations in full...

Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
| eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
| recommends ODF for text documents.

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
| open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
| majority of the client systems.

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work. Â*

Green Euro MP supports call for better access to open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| European citizens have the right to freely access documents and information
| from the institutions which represent them, and it is about time that the use
| of open source software became more widespread
| Open source software (1) should be more widely available in order to help
| reduce the 'digital divide', according to Dr Caroline Lucas, Green MEP for
| the South East.
| Dr Lucas has added her signature to a written declaration in the European
| Parliament - like an Early Day Motion (EDM) in the House of Commons -
| recognising the growing disparities in access to information and
| communication technologies throughout the European Union, and calling for
| increased use of open source technology.

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)