Re: [News] New Sub-notebook from ASUS Runs GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] New Sub-notebook from ASUS Runs GNU/Linux - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > > 1 more mini laptop for Asustek > > ,----[ Quote ] >| The new Eee PC S101, which is expected to hit the shelves later this month at >| a cost of 699 US dollars ...

  1. Re: [News] New Sub-notebook from ASUS Runs GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > 1 more mini laptop for Asustek
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The new Eee PC S101, which is expected to hit the shelves later this month at
    >| a cost of 699 US dollars (S$1,024), comes with a choice of operating systems
    >| between Microsoft Windows or GNU Linux.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_286934.html

    This market is fascinating, however, I remain amazed that anyone would
    buy one of these machines with WindowsXP on it. The only excuse I can
    see for it is familiarity with Windows and/or fear of change.

    The advantages of Linux are manifold: it's faster, boots more quickly,
    doesn't need to run anti-virus/spyware/trojanware, won't wear out flash
    drives checking every read and write for dodgy code, has a vast range of
    software available for free, including web browsers, office suites,
    music and media players, image manipulation, IM/chat clients,
    softphones, and so on. You get updates to the OS for no charge, and
    very rapidly indeed when problems are found.

    Fear of change appears to the largest remaining barrier to linux usage
    now.

  2. Re: [News] New Sub-notebook from ASUS Runs GNU/Linux

  3. Re: [News] New Sub-notebook from ASUS Runs GNU/Linux

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> 1 more mini laptop for Asustek
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> The new Eee PC S101, which is expected to hit the shelves later
    >>> this month at a cost of 699 US dollars (S$1,024), comes with a
    >>> choice of operating systems between Microsoft Windows or GNU Linux.

    huh? $700 for an undersized, underpowered machine with an inept operating
    system? I'll pass.

    > This market is fascinating, however, I remain amazed that anyone would
    > buy one of these machines with WindowsXP on it. The only excuse I can
    > see for it is familiarity with Windows and/or fear of change.

    Many people have years of accumulated files and knowledge about Windows and
    commercial apps and games. And there's the issue of compatibility with work
    stuff.

    As most everyone finds out, Linux itself and other accompanying crapware is
    a glitchy mess and a big waste of time. cola advocates may not mind wasting
    hours tinkering with the slop, but the majority will not.

    The Claim: "Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute
    the world's most usable Linux."
    http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    The Reality: "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of
    hard work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > The advantages of Linux are manifold: it's faster,

    Linux is slower at most everything. What I get a real kick out of is
    switching between them. It's so slow you can actually see
    click-pause-focus. Apps launch slower, startup and shutdown is slower, etc.

    > boots more quickly,

    Windows is almost always faster to boot, though it depends on how the system
    is configured.

    > doesn't need to run anti-virus/spyware/trojanware,

    It needs some kind of anti-ware:

    http://linuxmint.com/, 8/15/2008, "Our server was hacked and code was
    injected into it to make connections on our behalf to pinoc.org ..."

    The local "esteemed author" LMAO! Roy Spamowitz's Linux site was hacked

    "The Ubuntu community had to yank five of the eight Ubuntu-hosted
    community servers sponsored by Canonical offline Aug. 6 after discovering
    that the servers had been hijacked and were attacking other machines."
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ub...Launch-Attack/

    > won't wear out flash drives checking every read and write for dodgy code,

    huh?

    > has a vast range of software available for free, including web
    > browsers, office suites, music and media players, image manipulation,
    > IM/chat clients, softphones, and so on.

    It's all better on Windows.

    > You get updates to the OS for no charge,

    Who cares when you're stuck with virtually no games, and substandard apps,
    and lesser hardware choices?

    > and very rapidly indeed when problems are found.

    Tell it to the Ubuntu victims who've been experiencing random freezing for
    at least a year and a half.

    > Fear of change appears to the largest remaining barrier to linux usage
    > now.

    Yawn. One excuse after another, while you freeload Linux to your heart's
    content.

  4. Re: [News] New Sub-notebook from ASUS Runs GNU/Linux

    "DFS" writes:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> 1 more mini laptop for Asustek
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    > huh? $700 for an undersized, underpowered machine with an inept operating
    > system? I'll pass.
    >

    >> This market is fascinating, however, I remain amazed that anyone would
    >> buy one of these machines with WindowsXP on it. The only excuse I can
    >> see for it is familiarity with Windows and/or fear of change.

    That's why you are widely considered to be a clueless idiot. Along with
    your prediction that Windows PCs would be a thing of the past when
    people sa what a PS3 with Linux on it could do, the above is total
    nonsense. You know why people would want XP even if WE can use Linux.

    > Many people have years of accumulated files and knowledge about Windows and
    > commercial apps and games. And there's the issue of compatibility with work
    > stuff.

    And iTunes. And Phone sync. And ....

    Mark Kent is clueless.

+ Reply to Thread