Using Skype with Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Using Skype with Linux - Linux ; I recently bought a Eec PC 901 with Skype installed. However, I can't make it work when talking to a family member who has XP laptop. I could see him and we could hear each other, but he couldn't see ...

  1. Using Skype with Linux

    I recently bought a Eec PC 901 with Skype installed. However, I can't
    make it work when talking to a family member who has XP laptop. I
    could see him and we could hear each other, but he couldn't see me
    although I could see myself.

    Some help to get this set up correctly would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Stuartp77

  2. Re: Using Skype with Linux

    Stuartp77 wrote:
    > I recently bought a Eec PC 901 with Skype installed. However, I can't
    > make it work when talking to a family member who has XP laptop. I
    > could see him and we could hear each other, but he couldn't see me
    > although I could see myself.
    >
    > Some help to get this set up correctly would be much appreciated.

    You could update Skype to a newer version. (One that support Video on Linux)
    Could you post here what version of Skype are you using?
    Skype download page for Linux:
    http://www.skype.com/intl/en/downloa.../linux/choose/
    The version that Skype tells that it is foe Xandros Linux:
    http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-xandros

    Since I think That Xandros Linux (On my 701 at least) is a bit outdated,
    in your place I would consider installing Ubuntu-eee on it.
    http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/

    -Updating Skype on Ubuntu Linux (x86):
    Download from: http://skype.com/go/getskype-linux-ubuntu
    And install it with double-click

    -Updating skype on 64-bit Ubuntu Linux (amd64, x86-64):
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32asound2
    mkdir ~/Desktop/skype
    cd ~/Desktop/skype
    wget -N boundlesssupremacy.com/Cappy/getlibs/getlibs-all.deb
    wget -N -O skype-install.deb http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-ubuntu
    sudo dpkg -i getlibs-all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all skype-install.deb
    sudo getlibs /usr/bin/skype

    And if ou want Beta Skype for Linux, in stp five use:
    wget -N -O skype-install.deb
    http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-ubuntu

    Source: http://www.ubuntu-rs.org/wiki/Skype

    CUl8r All