Linux - for retirees - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux - for retirees - Linux ; The Ghost In The Machine wrote: >[2] Again, where is Linux being a POS? Please don't feed the troll....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

  1. Re: Linux - for retirees

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >[2] Again, where is Linux being a POS?

    Please don't feed the troll.

  2. Re: Linux - for retirees

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    >Mocassin Joe made-up the following fairy tale:
    >>
    >> In over eighteen years of WINDOWS use, I have never seen a BSOD. Never
    >> caught a virus.

    >The usual lies of the windrones.
    >
    >> Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once.

    >> WINDOWS XP is the most stable and most user friendly OS in existence, with
    >> VISTA coming on strong.

    >Certainly. And the world is flat

    Laff. Never had a virus and never needed to reinstall, in 18 YEARS of
    Windows use. That's a "tall tale" if I've ever heard one. What an
    idiot!

  3. Re: Linux - for retirees

    On 2008-10-09, Mocassin Joe wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:37:18 -0400, Mocassin Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or people with lots of time to waste. A super POS.

    >> You no likee - you no gotta usee! Linux is about CHOICE - which we would
    >> not have if MS had it's way. I was introduced to Linux in my job several
    >> years before I retired - I did scientific software support and devolopment
    >> for DOD. I can assure you Linux is a time saver rather than a time waster.
    >> No more effort spent on BSODs, virus updates, BSODs, reboots every time
    >> you install anything, BSODs, finding driver disks for the reinstall after
    >> the system gets hammered, BSODs, etc. Simply install it and run it.

    > In over eighteen years of WINDOWS use, I have never seen a BSOD. Never
    > caught a virus. Very rarely have to reboot. Never had my system

    I don't believe you.

    I think you're full of ****. It's as simple as that.

    My local retirees would be MUCH BETTER OFF if they ran away from
    Windows as fast as they could. Linux would not be much of a bother
    for them because there would be nothing to break. They would use it
    much the same way that they use Windows now.

    Except it wouldn't be subject to bitrot and bad engineering.

    MacOS would be better for them too.

    > "hammered". Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once. You are
    > making the classic mistake of confusing WINDOWS with OSX. WINDOWS XP is the
    > most stable and most user friendly OS in existence, with VISTA coming on
    > strong.

    It's rude of you not to share those drugs with the rest of us.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  4. Re: Linux - for retirees

    On 2008-10-09, zara wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:31:48 -0400, Mocassin Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> In over eighteen years of WINDOWS use, I have never seen a BSOD. Never
    >>> caught a virus. Very rarely have to reboot. Never had my system
    >>> "hammered". Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once. You are
    >>> making the classic mistake of confusing WINDOWS with OSX. WINDOWS XP is
    >>> the most stable and most user friendly OS in existence, with VISTA
    >>> coming on strong.

    >> That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. That is your opinion, which you
    >> are welcome to - it is certainly not mine. You must never have used your
    >> computer for much for eighteen years. I have had several MS consultants
    >> tell me that prior to xp, it was a very good idea to wipe the disk and
    >> reinstall every six months if you did much at all with your computer. If
    >> all you do is read e-mail and surf, I could understand your comments.

    > Perhaps your own personal Windows experiences, would hold more validity than
    > "What the "consultants" told you". I heard that Linux and OSX users, spend
    > more time fixing than working.

    You MIGHT have had something there until you tried to throw OSX into
    the mix.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  5. Re: Linux - for retirees

    On 2008-10-09, zara wrote:

    > "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:37:18 -0400, Mocassin Joe
    >> wrote:
    >>>Or people with lots of time to waste. A super POS.

    >> You are exactly like the religiously braindamaged who invade
    >> alt.atheism.
    >>
    >> You do more to promote linux than you can possibly know. If using
    >> windows makes one as much as a moronic dickhead as you, then I'm glad
    >> I steer clear of it.

    > Seems like he touched a nerve. Maybe if you didn't rant and rave so, someone
    > might take a jerk like you serious. But your argument has no validity what
    > so ever.

    It was a remarkable bit of insight actually.

    Someone around here has even managed to cobble together an equivalent
    to the talk.origin FAQs on evolution and speciation. It's funny to see
    him whip it out on occasion. He should get around to you soon enough.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  6. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "Mocassin Joe" wrote in message
    news:uGmHk.39617$IB6.2892@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .

    > "Homey" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mocassin Joe" wrote in message
    >> news:TFaHk.45437$rD2.43237@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>>
    >>> "Chance Furlong" wrote in message

    >>> Still stuffing gerbils, Hamster Boy?

    >>> Callie Briggs, super BJ.
    >>>

    >> Hold on, Hamster Boy has a girl friend ?, and she gives a good blow job.

    > She blows everyone but him.

    I could have been his father but the line was to long

  7. Re: Linux - for retirees

    In article ,
    "Mocassin Joe" wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:37:18 -0400, Mocassin Joe wrote:
    > >
    > >> Or people with lots of time to waste. A super POS.

    > > You no likee - you no gotta usee! Linux is about CHOICE - which we would
    > > not have if MS had it's way. I was introduced to Linux in my job several
    > > years before I retired - I did scientific software support and devolopment
    > > for DOD. I can assure you Linux is a time saver rather than a time waster.
    > > No more effort spent on BSODs, virus updates, BSODs, reboots every time
    > > you install anything, BSODs, finding driver disks for the reinstall after
    > > the system gets hammered, BSODs, etc. Simply install it and run it.

    > In over eighteen years of WINDOWS use, I have never seen a BSOD. Never
    > caught a virus. Very rarely have to reboot. Never had my system
    > "hammered". Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once. You are
    > making the classic mistake of confusing WINDOWS with OSX. WINDOWS XP is the
    > most stable and most user friendly OS in existence, with VISTA coming on
    > strong.

    Vista may be coming on strong if you're willing to pay for the new
    hardware it needs to fully support it. But, I'm sure, it's just a step
    along the way to something better - Windows Seven. Older systems run
    fine with XP and I agree it has been MS's most stable OS to date.

  8. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48edff9a$0$6576$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/9/08 5:56 AM:

    > Mocassin Joe wrote:
    >

    >> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> You no likee - you no gotta usee! Linux is about CHOICE - which we would
    >>> not have if MS had it's way. I was introduced to Linux in my job several
    >>> years before I retired - I did scientific software support and
    >>> devolopment for DOD. I can assure you Linux is a time saver rather than a
    >>> time waster. No more effort spent on BSODs, virus updates, BSODs, reboots
    >>> every time you install anything, BSODs, finding driver disks for the
    >>> reinstall after the system gets hammered, BSODs, etc. Simply install it
    >>> and run it.

    >> In over eighteen years of WINDOWS use, I have never seen a BSOD. Never
    >> caught a virus.

    > The usual lies of the windrones.
    > Do you actually think people are dumb enough to buy that bull****?
    > Sorry, mate, as Snot Michael Glasser already had so very often to see,
    > people simply are not stupid enough for you guys

    Now you are pretending to know *his* experience. You are amazingly
    arrogant.

    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond
    imagination. - attributed to Albert Einstein, likely apocryphal

  9. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48edff9a$0$6576$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/9/08 5:56 AM:

    > Mocassin Joe wrote:
    >

    >> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> You no likee - you no gotta usee! Linux is about CHOICE - which we would
    >>> not have if MS had it's way. I was introduced to Linux in my job several
    >>> years before I retired - I did scientific software support and
    >>> devolopment for DOD. I can assure you Linux is a time saver rather than a
    >>> time waster. No more effort spent on BSODs, virus updates, BSODs, reboots
    >>> every time you install anything, BSODs, finding driver disks for the
    >>> reinstall after the system gets hammered, BSODs, etc. Simply install it
    >>> and run it.

    >> In over eighteen years of WINDOWS use, I have never seen a BSOD. Never
    >> caught a virus.

    > The usual lies of the windrones.
    > Do you actually think people are dumb enough to buy that bull****?
    > Sorry, mate, as Snot Michael Glasser already had so very often to see,
    > people simply are not stupid enough for you guys
    >
    >> Very rarely have to reboot.

    > Naturally not. Just once for about every update out there. The updates
    > without reboots are rare
    >
    >> Never had my system "hammered".

    > No, as you had to use it unconnected in a bank vault
    >
    >> Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once. You are
    >> making the classic mistake of confusing WINDOWS with OSX.

    > OSX has at least the advantage of being relativly secure.
    > Windows is a virus mothership
    >
    >> WINDOWS XP is the most stable and most user friendly OS in existence, with
    >> VISTA coming on strong.

    > Certainly. And the world is flat

    If you believed your words you would not have set follow-ups to not include
    COLA. Not even you believe you, Peter. Why should anyone else?

    --Aldous Huxley

  10. Re: Linux - for retirees

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:40:26 -0400, zara wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:31:48 -0400, Mocassin Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> In over eighteen years of WINDOWS use, I have never seen a BSOD. Never
    >>> caught a virus. Very rarely have to reboot. Never had my system
    >>> "hammered". Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once. You
    >>> are making the classic mistake of confusing WINDOWS with OSX. WINDOWS
    >>> XP is the most stable and most user friendly OS in existence, with
    >>> VISTA coming on strong.

    >> That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. That is your opinion, which
    >> you are welcome to - it is certainly not mine. You must never have used
    >> your computer for much for eighteen years. I have had several MS
    >> consultants tell me that prior to xp, it was a very good idea to wipe
    >> the disk and reinstall every six months if you did much at all with
    >> your computer. If all you do is read e-mail and surf, I could
    >> understand your comments.

    > Perhaps your own personal Windows experiences, would hold more validity
    > than "What the "consultants" told you". I heard that Linux and OSX
    > users, spend more time fixing than working.

    That has not been my experience at all. I admin nine Linux computers at
    the local library - used for public access internet computers. "fixing" so
    far (after three years) has consisted of installation followed by about
    two hours per month to stop by and do updates.

  11. Re: Linux - for retirees

    In article ,
    "zara" wrote:

    > Perhaps your own personal Windows experiences, would hold more validity than
    > "What the "consultants" told you". I heard that Linux and OSX users, spend
    > more time fixing than working.

    I can tell you that OS X runs fine and doesn't require tinkering - even
    to the degree that XP does. I haven't used Linux much but if I decide
    to try it and it forces me to learn how to use the command line - it
    will end up in the storage box.
    We had the first Macs at work back in the 1980's and they were fun to
    use except for the occasional "ticking time bomb." You learned to save
    your work regularly just like you've had to do all along with Windows
    until the stable XP came along - and by then "saving" was a habit.

    MS-DOS was a challenge but we had to use it for a time. I was glad to
    see it fade into the background. Amiga required some command-line
    because you had to hack it so it would work with various hardware
    add-ons.

    I prefer OS X over all the operating systems I've used. When I let my
    system run for days at a time, sometimes it needs a restart to clear the
    memory and start afresh. But, it is very easy to use and doesn't
    require any tinkering with "terminal." You don't have to know anything
    about command line to get it work well for you and the software is
    consistently easy to use. There is a remarkable consistency among
    programs from all developers from the way a program works, looks and
    feels to the same keyboard shortcuts. Each program has a preferences
    setup that is usually simple but can be more complex to allow more
    control over the program.

    Microsoft has had less control over 3rd party developers and so there
    are differences in the way software looks and performs and responds to,
    say, keyboard commands. And Windows has always required extra
    tinkering with the registry, the hundreds of options in the system setup
    and program setup screens. It is more complicated than OS X. And the
    pre-XP versions did require an occasional re-format and reinstall to get
    rid of all the junk that piled up in the registry and program caches.
    Later, the HD defrag program helped to speed things up a bit.

  12. Re: Linux - for retirees

    free the software wrote:

    >Vista may be coming on strong if you're willing to pay for the new
    >hardware it needs to fully support it. But, I'm sure, it's just a step
    >along the way to something better - Windows Seven.

    Why are you "sure" that the next M$ OS is going to be "better"? Their
    history shows no such trend.

    I suppose, though, that next to Vista, they've got nowhere to go but
    up...

  13. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "Skyshark" wrote in message

    > "Mocassin Joe" wrote in message
    > news:uGmHk.39617$IB6.2892@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>
    >> "Homey" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mocassin Joe" wrote in message
    >>> news:TFaHk.45437$rD2.43237@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> Hold on, Hamster Boy has a girl friend ?, and she gives a good blow job.

    >> She blows everyone but him.
    >>

    > I could have been his father but the line was to long

    Imagine having a mental defect like him for a son?

  14. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "Mocassin Joe" stated in post
    8cuHk.45844$rD2.1225@bignews4.bellsouth.net on 10/9/08 1:55 PM:

    > "Snit" wrote in message
    > news:C513A78D.DA164%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    >> "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    >> 48edff9a$0$6576$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/9/08 5:56 AM:

    >>> The usual lies of the windrones. Do you actually think people are dumb
    >>> enough to buy that bull****? Sorry, mate, as Snot Michael Glasser already
    >>> had so very often to see, people simply are not stupid enough for you guys
    >>>

    >> Now you are pretending to know *his* experience. You are amazingly arrogant.

    > Arrogant - yes. And Stupid.

    He might not be stupid... just so angry that he comes across that way. He
    makes repeated and absurd technical errors when he tries to prove how much
    he knows... but maybe if he were not so angry he would be able to show he
    actually *does* know something. I still grant him that benefit of doubt.

    --
    Satan lives for my sins... now *that* is dedication!

  15. Re: Linux - for retirees

    In article ,
    "zara" wrote:

    > Does having that gerbil stuck up your ass cloud your thinking?

    Zara, you really should leave your gerbil fetish at home.

    > > Making Megakat City safer one troll at a time.

    > I'm surprised that the institution you are housed in allows you to use a
    > computer. Maybe they feel it's good therapy.

    What makes you think I am in an institution?

    Making Megakat City safer one troll at a time.

  16. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "Snit" wrote in message
    news:C513CE3C.DA1A8%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    > "Mocassin Joe" stated in post
    > 8cuHk.45844$rD2.1225@bignews4.bellsouth.net on 10/9/08 1:55 PM:
    >

    >> "Snit" wrote in message
    >> news:C513A78D.DA164%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    >>> "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    >>> 48edff9a$0$6576$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/9/08 5:56 AM:

    >>> Now you are pretending to know *his* experience. You are amazingly
    >>> arrogant.

    >> Arrogant - yes. And Stupid.

    > He might not be stupid... just so angry that he comes across that way. He
    > makes repeated and absurd technical errors when he tries to prove how much
    > he knows... but maybe if he were not so angry he would be able to show he
    > actually *does* know something. I still grant him that benefit of doubt.

    You are wasting your sympathy on a tired, old, mentally ill, incompetent.

  17. Re: Linux - for retirees

    > In article ,
    > "zara" wrote:
    >
    >> Does having that gerbil stuck up your ass cloud your thinking?

    > Zara, you really should leave your gerbil fetish at home.

    You should set your gerbils free.

    >> > Making Megakat City safer one troll at a time.

    >> I'm surprised that the institution you are housed in allows you to use a
    >> computer. Maybe they feel it's good therapy.

    > What makes you think I am in an institution?
    >
    > Making Megakat City safer one troll at a time.

  18. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "Mocassin Joe" stated in post
    QmwHk.46749$vX2.17268@bignews6.bellsouth.net on 10/9/08 4:24 PM:

    >>> Arrogant - yes. And Stupid.

    >> He might not be stupid... just so angry that he comes across that way. He
    >> makes repeated and absurd technical errors when he tries to prove how much
    >> he knows... but maybe if he were not so angry he would be able to show he
    >> actually *does* know something. I still grant him that benefit of doubt.

    > You are wasting your sympathy on a tired, old, mentally ill, incompetent.

    No sympathy... just being kind. No need for me to sink to Peter's level.

    --
    .... something I'm committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
    resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually move the desktop

  19. Re: Linux - for retirees

    On Oct 9, 12:42*pm, "zara" wrote:
    > "Chance Furlong" wrote in message

    > > In article ,
    > > "Mocassin Joe" wrote:

    > >> "ray" wrote in message

    > >> In over eighteen years of Windoze use, I have never seen a blue screenof
    > >> death.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> Never caught a virus.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> Very rarely have to reboot.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> Never had a system "hammered."

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >>Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> You are making the classic mistake of confusing Windoze with OS X.

    > > I doubt it.

    > >> Windoze XP is the most stable and most user friendly OS in existence,
    > >> with Vista coming on strong.

    > > I doubt it.

    > Does having that gerbil stuck up your ass cloud your thinking?

    Who had 18 in the "number of posts before zara starts fantasizing
    about assholes" pool? Is there a gayer poster out there? Rhetorical
    question zara you ****ing moron, the answer is of course, no.

  20. Re: Linux - for retirees

    "cc" wrote in message
    On Oct 9, 12:42 pm, "zara" wrote:
    > "Chance Furlong" wrote in message

    > > In article ,
    > > "Mocassin Joe" wrote:

    > >> "ray" wrote in message

    > >> In over eighteen years of Windoze use, I have never seen a blue screen
    > >> of
    > >> death.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> Never caught a virus.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> Very rarely have to reboot.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> Never had a system "hammered."

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >>Never had to reinstall. Needed a driver only once.

    > > You're full of ****.

    > >> You are making the classic mistake of confusing Windoze with OS X.

    > > I doubt it.

    > >> Windoze XP is the most stable and most user friendly OS in existence,
    > >> with Vista coming on strong.

    > > I doubt it.

    > Does having that gerbil stuck up your ass cloud your thinking?

    Who had 18 in the "number of posts before zara starts fantasizing
    about assholes" pool? Is there a gayer poster out there? Rhetorical
    question zara you ****ing moron, the answer is of course, no.

    You didn't die yet, Homo? Too bad.