Bluenog Joins Open Solutions Alliance to Advance Interoperability Programs

,----[ Quote ]
| OSA's focus on open source application interoperability is a vision that
| resonates deeply with Bluenog's vision and go-to-market strategy. Bluenog,
| already an active participant in the Common Customer View (CCV) and marketing
| committees, plans to work closely with OSA to achieve application
| interoperability through enhanced community collaboration. This is also a
| theme reflected in Bluenog's mission to tightly integrate content management,
| portal and business intelligence -- three applications required by nearly
| every enterprise.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...s,567126.shtml

The fakers from Microsoft still attempt to invade and destroy OSA, so the
members reject it.

Recent:

Microsoft taints open source CodePlex well

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is posting code to its much-trumpeted CodePlex open-source projects
| site using licenses and conditions that go against the principles of open
| source.
|
| The company has been posting projects under Microsoft licenses that stop you
| from running CodePlex projects on non-Windows platforms or restrict access to
| code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...plex_licenses/

Open Source Software Business Thrives in Tough Times

,----[ Quote ]
| In the first annual survey of its membership and other open source software
| and services companies, the Open Solutions Alliance found much optimism
| despite a murky economy with 83 percent of participants saying they would see
| a year-over-year increase in revenue in 2008 of open source related software
| and services.
`----

http://www.mysolutioninfo.com/news-d...0Tough%20Times
http://tinyurl.com/67872c

Related:

Microsoft's newest Halloween documents

,----[ Quote ]
| * * * Microsoft is trying to look like it's all about interoperability
| * * through futile projects like Mono, Moonlight, and patent agreements with
| * * Novell and also-ran Linux vendors. But these deals are really nothing
| * * more than a way to tax open-source innovation to ensure open source is
| * * hobbled by Microsoft's fees. * *
|

| And so on. Microsoft is much more open about its intentions vis-a-vis open
| source. That doesn't mean it's any more supportive of open source. It just
| means that it's getting easier to glean from public documents how the company
| feels about open source. *
|
| We don't need Halloween Documents to read the tea leaves on Microsoft and
| open source. We just need to pay attention to what the company is doing. In
| the open. On an increasing basis. *
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

Halloween XII: What’s really behind those Microsoft licenses?

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the OSI’s stated desire to reduce the number of open source licenses,
| not increase them, I asked the OSI board why they had approved it. “We won’t
| approve licenses that are too similar to existing licenses”, board member
| Russ Nelson responded in an email. However he praised the licenses for being
| simply written, for addressing trademarks and patents, and for not naming a
| specific jurisdiction. * *
|
| Is that enough to differentiate them? Not according to Greg Stein of the
| Apache Foundation, who is opposed to the creation and use of new licenses
| when existing, popular licenses already do the job. “License proliferation,”
| he writes, “slows development and discourages usage by making it more
| difficult to combine and remix code.” * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=423

Reverse-Halloween: The Marketing Checkbox Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting Microsoft software licenses OSI-approved and similarly getting
| Microsoft's proprietary document formats approved at ISO are like painting an
| old Chevrolet. *
|
| [...]
|
| This may be enough to satisfy the enterprise customer that he is achieving
| something different. Clearly, the substance is no different: it's a lock-in
| in sheep's clothing. *
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex...rketing-c.html

OSI email group gets catty over Microsoft's Permissive License request

,----[ Quote ]
| Things got really interesting when Chris DiBona, longtime OSI member, open
| source advocate, and open source programs manager for Google, Inc. chimed in:
|
| * * I would like to ask what might be perceived as a diversion and maybe even
| * * a mean spirited one. Does this submission to the OSI mean that Microsoft
| * * will: *
|
| * * a) Stop using the market confusing term Shared Source
| * * b) Not place these licenses and the other, clearly non-free , non-osd
| * * licenses in the same place thus muddying the market further.
| * * c) Continue its path of spreading misinformation about the nature of
| * * open source software, especially that licensed under the GPL?
| * * d) Stop threatening with patents and oem pricing manipulation schemes
| * * to deter the use of open source software?
|
| * * If not, why should the OSI approve of your efforts? That of a company who
| * * has called those who use the licenses that OSI purports to defend a
| * * communist or a cancer? Why should we see this seeking of approval as
| * * anything but yet another attack in the guise of friendliness? * *
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118677

Merging "Open Source" and "Free Software"

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, they are not. Other Shared Source licenses may very well be too
| restrictive to be considered Open Source. But, Microsoft may conveniently
| divert the attention from this little detail to the fact that some of
| Shared Source licenses are Open Source. *
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/merg..._free_software

Microsoft not so 'open' after all?

,----[ Quote ]
| Head of open-source group says more than half of licenses don't pass muster
|
| [...]
|
| Michael Tiemann, president of the non-profit Open Source Initiative, said
| that provisions in three out of five of Microsoft's shared-source licenses *
| that restrict source code to running only on the Windows operating system
| would contravene a fundamental tenet of open-source licenses as laid out by
| the OSI. By those rules, code must be free for anyone to view, use, modify as
| they see fit. * *
|
| [...]
|
| By his count, the OSI has rejected "two dozen" or so license applications for
| language that restricted the use or redistribution of software and its source
| code, even when the restrictions were written with what Tiemann
| called "moral" intent. For instance, the OSI has rejected license
| applications from Quakers and other pacifists who sought to prevent the use
| of software for weapons such as landmines. * *
|
| "I am highly sympathetic to that point of view," he said. "But the OSI is not
| in the business of legislating moral use. We allow all use, commercial or
| non-commercial, mortal or medical." *
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

Is Microsoft Hijacking Open Source?