Re: [News] USENET on GNU/Linux Desktops: Primer - Linux

  1. Re: [News] USENET on GNU/Linux Desktops: Primer

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:03:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Usenet for Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I˘ve already done an article called Usenet for Dummies, where you can learn
    >| about what exactly Usenet is. Go read that article if you haven˘t already. If
    >| you have, then this article will go over a variety of tools you need to get
    >| up and running with Usenet on Linux. Before we get started, here is a small
    >| list of the types of tools you˘ll need, which we˘ll go over:
    >|
    >| 1. Newsreader
    >| 2. PAR File Utility
    >| 3. Extraction Tools

    Perfect timing as ISP's are dropping USENET like flies.
    Verizon, Comcast and several others have already done it.
    More will be following suit.

    USENET is going to be pretty much dead in the very near future.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] USENET on GNU/Linux Desktops: Primer

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:22:14 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:03:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Usenet for Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| I’ve already done an article called Usenet for Dummies, where you can
    >>learn | about what exactly Usenet is. Go read that article if you
    >>haven’t already. If | you have, then this article will go over a variety
    >>of tools you need to get | up and running with Usenet on Linux. Before
    >>we get started, here is a small | list of the types of tools you’ll
    >>need, which we’ll go over: |
    >>| 1. Newsreader
    >>| 2. PAR File Utility
    >>| 3. Extraction Tools

    > Perfect timing as ISP's are dropping USENET like flies. Verizon, Comcast
    > and several others have already done it. More will be following suit.
    >
    > USENET is going to be pretty much dead in the very near future.

    Possibly in the USA but here in the UK one of many ISP's selling points
    is their USENET availability. One ISP, Plusnet, is more than happy to
    prioritise it.

    --
    I'm always polite, reasonable and kind.... except when I'm not.

  3. Re: [News] USENET on GNU/Linux Desktops: Primer

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:36:20 -0500, SomeBloke wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:22:14 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:03:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Usenet for Linux
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>learn | about what exactly Usenet is. Go read that article if you
    >>>haven˘t already. If | you have, then this article will go over a variety
    >>>of tools you need to get | up and running with Usenet on Linux. Before
    >>>we get started, here is a small | list of the types of tools you˘ll
    >>>need, which we˘ll go over: |

    >> Perfect timing as ISP's are dropping USENET like flies. Verizon, Comcast
    >> and several others have already done it. More will be following suit.
    >>
    >> USENET is going to be pretty much dead in the very near future.

    > Possibly in the USA but here in the UK one of many ISP's selling points
    > is their USENET availability. One ISP, Plusnet, is more than happy to
    > prioritise it.

    Could be but as less people are using it even the ISP's that carry it will
    reconsider.

    Traffic has already dropped off drastically in many of the popular groups.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/