[News] TuxMachines Testimonials on the Choice of GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] TuxMachines Testimonials on the Choice of GNU/Linux

    What Using Linux Means to Me

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When a user is using a new operating system they come to realize it's a tool
    | and real people use many tools. Being OS-centric is self-defeating: why
    | deprive yourself of choices? I recently was given an Apple Mac with OS
    | X-Jaguar edition. No longer being afraid of new 'different' operating systems
    | allowed me to enjoy myself, tool around, begin to get a feel for the OS and
    | surf for tutorials on the web. Linux has spoiled me, though. I keep
    | wondering "Where's all the free software?".
    |
    | It's all about choices. I believe Linux does it best.
    `----

    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/31070

    Why I Choose Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux has not only been free, it's paid me rich dividends. I've used Linux
    | for a little over two years and in that time I've learned more about
    | the 'insides' of a computer than I learned in the preceding twenty years.
    `----

    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/31069

    My Linux Story

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I was lucky to have switched to Linux when I did. I tried lots of other
    | distros just for fun. I began experimenting with Howtos I'd run into. Back
    | then howtos weren't "apt-get this, tick this box, and click OK." Back then
    | they were 'get the source here, and the patch here and this one here, and
    | open this file and replace this function with that one, then do this and that
    | to this config file and then recompile this other program using this patch
    | and edit its config file, then patch the kernel...' No mention of
    | dependencies usually, you discovered them when you started to compile. Me and
    | Texstar used to write back forth - "Hey hey! I got this to work! Here's a
    | screenshot." Those were the days. It's all too easy now.
    |
    | But that was considerably easier than it had been in the '90s. This is why I
    | have such respect for the really old guys that have been using Linux
    | since "real men write their own drivers" and why Linus is my hero. This is
    | why I shake my head at those who ask, "Is Linux ready for Prime Time?"
    |
    | Hell yeah, it's ready - and has been for quite a while.
    `----

    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/31071

    Recent:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | work to do."
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

  2. Re: [News] TuxMachines Testimonials on the Choice of GNU/Linux

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:00:00 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > What Using Linux Means to Me
    > Why I Choose Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Linux has not only been free, it's paid me rich dividends. I've used Linux
    >| for a little over two years and in that time I've learned more about
    >| the 'insides' of a computer than I learned in the preceding twenty years.

    I have no doubt about that.....................

    The poor bastard had no other choice but to *learn about the insides of his
    computer* if he was interested in getting Linux to work.

    I'll bet he has also become a master at conjuring up Google search
    arguments.
    That's usually the next thing a new Linux user learns.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread