Motorola's Linux strategy evolves with Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola was one of the first major handset makers to embrace the Linux
| platform. Its earliest Linux-based phones were popular in China, enabling the
| company to sell over 5 million of the penguin-powered devices by 2006.
| Following that initial victory, Motorola brought its Linux phones to the US
| with its global launch of the Razr2 in 2007. Motorola's current Linux lineup
| features eight LiMo-compatible handsets and the company boasts that its total
| sales of Linux-based phones has exceeded 14 million as of this year.

Is Google Android the Next Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| On the flip side, Good Android (here’s a video demo) is a cross-platform
| software environment that multiple hardware vendors and service providers are
| expected to embrace. Although Android isn’t fully baked, Google is
| aggressively promoting the operating environment to third party developers.
| The idea is to get developers on board early, so that tons of Android
| applications are ready when Android-compatible devices finally debut.
| [...]
| Eventually, The VAR Guy suspects, Android devices will easily leapfrog
| iPhone’s market share. But that’s not a terrible thing for Apple. Although
| Apple nearly died on the desktop, Apple’s more recent innovations prove that
| you can thrive even when you hold less than 10 percent of a technology
| market.

iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
| source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
| overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
| outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android.

First look: latest Google Android SDK a big improvement

,----[ Quote ]
| I tested several of the applications that come with the SDK, including the
| mapping program, the contact book, and the web browser. I also tested the
| experimental Google Talk chat integration feature. I was able to connect to
| Google Talk and receive messages, which are displayed as items on the
| notification panel. The performance and usability of the bundled applications
| is pretty decent.

Could Android Grease Motorola's Wheels?

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola is reportedly readying itself for a big push into the new Android
| mobile software system. The company is said to be on a hiring frenzy for
| Android developers, upping its staff in that department from 50 to 350.

Motorola Building Up 350-Person Android Team. Nokia Also Sniffing Around.

,----[ Quote ]
| The most significant of these may come from Motorola. One of the original
| partners in the Open Handset Alliance behind the open-source mobile OS,
| Motorola already has 50 people on its Android team and is growing that to
| 350, according to an Android developer approached by a headhunter to join the
| team. That is a huge commitment that shows how big a bet Motorola is making
| on Android.

Nokia's next-gen Linux-based net tablet to incorporate HSDPA

,----[ Quote ]
| To date, none of the Nokia's Linux-based tablets - the 770, N800 and N810 -
| have incorporated cellularl connectivity. Like Apple's iPod Touch, they've
| been intended to connect to the internet primarily over a Wi-Fi link. The
| Nokias also have Bluetooth to allow the to link up to a net-connected mobile
| phone.

Nokia unveils Maemo roadmap, plans for 3G Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| During a presentation at the Open Source in Mobile (OSiM) event in Berlin
| yesterday, Nokia open source director Ari Jaaksi revealed plans for Maemo 5,
| the next generation of the Linux-based operating system used on the company's
| Internet Tablet devices. The new version of the platform will support 3G data
| connectivity (a WiMAX-enabled Internet Tablet was announced earlier this
| year) and TI's high-performance OMAP 3 processor.

Nokia’s Maemo 5 open-source Linux OS promises faster, more powerful Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia’s little Linux-based, open-source darling has really blossomed into one
| fine looking platform. And, as the Maemo platform that powers Nokia Internet
| Tablets, like the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, again grows too big for its
| britches, Nokia will have to release newer versions of the Linux-based mobile
| platform.

Nokia looks beyond Symbian to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With a 47.9 percent stake in Symbian, the leading mobile platform that it
| co-founded in 1998 and which today powers some 206 million mobile phones,
| Nokia has long championed it at the expense of rival platforms such as Linux.
| No longer.
| The mobile-phone maker is increasingly selecting Linux for Internet-enabled
| mobile devices, with its CFO declaring of Linux, "It's going to be terribly
| important."

Symbian extends collaboration offer to Google, possibly Android

,----[ Quote ]
| "We already work together and so whatever collaboration, if there is an
| opportunity, we will be happy to collaborate with them," Symbian chief
| executive Nigel Clifford told reporters in Tokyo. "And that could be on the
| application level or that could be on the more fundamental operating system
| level."

Nokia and the battle for open source's soul

,----[ Quote ]
| The Finnish giant had, until now, kept out of the major alliances being
| formed in the mobile Linux space — the LiMo Foundation and the Google-led
| Open Handset Alliance (OHA) — because it could afford to. Enjoying 40 percent
| of the global handset market, and holding the largest stake in the
| market-leading Symbian platform, Nokia did not have to be quite as reactive
| as other manufacturers when it came to the open-source revolution. It was,
| however, inevitable that it would join the revolution and, after a suitable
| period of observer status, it chose the right time to do so.

Nokia embraces Ubuntu OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia’s Internet Tablet devices are set to get a port of the Linux operating
| system Ubuntu, following the release of the latest ‘Hardy Heron’ v8.04 of
| Ubuntu this week. *

Nokia does not get it

,----[ Quote ]
| You better start playing by the rules because else the other companies might
| do it faster than Nokia and you will lose the opportunity. Oh: And just as a
| remind: when you go open source, you must play by the rules by honoring the
| license of the software.
| Really, it’s sad to listen to things like this from someone controlling the
| company who owns Trolltech *I am sure that the vice-president of companies
| like Red Hat wouldn’t say nonsense like the above. But it’s no surprise
| coming from someone in a company that seems to be absolutely in favor of
| software patents in Europe according to FFII.

Ari Jaaksi of Nokia Wants to Educate the Linux Community

,----[ Quote ]
| But perhaps the community has some education for Jaaksi and Nokia. Jaaksi
| hosted me at a Nokia dinner in 2000, he's a nice guy and has been interested
| in Linux for a long time. But Nokia's barking up the wrong tree this time,
| because Nokia can do everything it wants with DRM, IPR, and SIM locks without
| bothering the Linux developers about it - and both Nokia and the Linux
| developers will like it better that way. It's surprising that Nokia doesn't
| understand that at this late date.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)