My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad - Linux

This is a discussion on My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad - Linux ; I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going bad. What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data and I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

  1. My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going bad.

    What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    and I am hopping mad.

    --
    David Jones

  2. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Dave in Philadelphia wrote:

    >I lost 5GB of important jpeg data and I am hopping mad.


    Ever hear of a backup?

    Stupid cross-poster. Serves you right.

    *plonk*


  3. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Dave in Philadelphia wrote:

    > I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    > chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going bad.
    >
    > What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    > and I am hopping mad.
    >


    Oh, looky looky: A windows user to stupid to do backups, although he is
    using the ****tiest OS ever written.

    Serves you right to lose all your data, not just a paltry 5GB
    --
    Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
    a trail of destruction behind it.


  4. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Dave in Philadelphia wrote:

    > I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin
    > poop is already going bad.


    > What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data and I am hopping mad.


    What sort of a fool doesnt have backups ?



  5. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    In article ,
    Dave in Philadelphia wrote:

    > I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    > chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going bad.
    >
    > What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    > and I am hopping mad.


    Huh.

    Perhaps you should have had a good backup...

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia


  6. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Alan Baker wrote:
    >>
    >> Perhaps you should have had a good backup...

    >
    > Windows Home Server might be a good idea.


    LOL


  7. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Alan Baker wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >
    >> I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    >> chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going
    >> bad.
    >>
    >> What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    >> and I am hopping mad.

    >
    > Huh.
    >
    > Perhaps you should have had a good backup...
    >


    Windows Home Server might be a good idea. It is reported to lose data
    extremely reliable...
    --
    Warning: You have moved the mouse.
    Windows will reboot now to make the change permanent


  8. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad


    "Peter Köhlmann" wrote in message
    news:48ecfa38$0$6612$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net...
    > Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >
    >> I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    >> chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going
    >> bad.
    >>
    >> What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    >> and I am hopping mad.
    >>

    >
    > Oh, looky looky: A windows user to stupid to do backups, although he is
    > using the ****tiest OS ever written.
    >
    > Serves you right to lose all your data, not just a paltry 5GB
    > --
    > Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
    > a trail of destruction behind it.
    >

    I guess your AAPL stocks have tanked.



  9. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    > I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    > chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going bad.


    > What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    > and I am hopping mad.


    Ever heard that disks have a chance of dying? Even without moshandling?
    And especially consumer-grade disks? Also ever heard of backup?

    Seems to me the only thing really bad here is your perspective
    and knowledge...

    Arno

  10. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    In article ,
    "Mocassin Joe" wrote:

    > "Peter Köhlmann" wrote in message
    > news:48ecfa38$0$6612$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net...


    > > Oh, looky looky: A Windows user to stupid to do backups, although he is
    > > using the ****tiest OS ever written.
    > >
    > > Serves you right to lose all your data, not just a paltry 5GB
    > > -
    > > Microsoft software doesn't get released, it escapes, leaving
    > > a trail of destruction behind it.
    > >

    > I guess your Apple stocks have tanked.


    You wish, zara.

    Making Megakat City safer one troll at a time.

  11. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad


    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    news:alangbaker-24B0DA.12210308102008@shawnews.vc.shawcable.net...
    > In article ,
    > Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >
    >> I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    >> chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going
    >> bad.
    >>
    >> What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    >> and I am hopping mad.

    >
    > Huh.
    >
    > Perhaps you should have had a good backup...


    Didn't you read?? They already told him. I forgot - you love to hear
    yourself.



  12. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Dave in Philadelphia wrote an obvious troll in news:gcinm5$plt$1@registered.motzarella.org

    And 8 idiots that responded to it.

  13. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >
    >> I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    >> chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already
    >> going bad.
    >>
    >> What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg
    >> data and I am hopping mad.
    >>

    >
    > Oh, looky looky: A windows user to stupid to do backups, although he
    > is using the ****tiest OS ever written.
    >
    > Serves you right to lose all your data, not just a paltry 5GB


    Why so mad, Peter? Oh, that's just your usual vicious, petty, luser self.




  14. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:21:44 +0200 Peter Köhlmann
    wrote in Message id:
    <48ecfa38$0$6612$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>:

    >Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >
    >> I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    >> chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going bad.
    >>
    >> What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    >> and I am hopping mad.
    >>

    >
    >Oh, looky looky: A windows user to stupid to do backups, although he is
    >using the ****tiest OS ever written.


    Reminds me of a joke I read the other day. Did you hear about the new
    Microsoft vacuum cleaner? It's the only thing Microsoft has ever made that
    *doesn't* suck.

  15. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:09:33 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >
    >>I lost 5GB of important jpeg data and I am hopping mad.

    >
    > Ever hear of a backup?
    >
    > Stupid cross-poster. Serves you right.
    >
    > *plonk*


    At least the troll's reminded me to set Leafnode's x-posts to 3 groups. :-)



  16. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    JW wrote:
    > Reminds me of a joke I read the other day. Did you hear about the new
    > Microsoft vacuum cleaner? It's the only thing Microsoft has ever made that
    > *doesn't* suck.


    You only just heard that?
    This sig has been one in my repertoire for over 14 years!
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
    | in | suck is probably the day they start making |
    | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge |

  17. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Freeze spray (electronics store or Radio Shack) is a less messy
    > alternative, but generally the freezer method works better.


    Don't think I'd trust freeze spray. The cooling has to be even and with
    freeze spray, it tends to be highly locallised and very uneven.

    If it is just a chip overheating you can get at, a freeze spray might do the
    trick, but otherwise, you don't want an unevenly heated platter. Could cause
    warping or other nasty side effects.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |
    | in | "I think so brain, but this time, you control |
    | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |

  18. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad


    "JW" wrote in message
    news:i1jre41raml1d76fda1ulcrlo9tg8k6q5t@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:21:44 +0200 Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote in Message id:
    > <48ecfa38$0$6612$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>:
    >
    >>Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    >>> chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going
    >>> bad.
    >>>
    >>> What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    >>> and I am hopping mad.
    >>>

    >>
    >>Oh, looky looky: A windows user to stupid to do backups, although he is
    >>using the ****tiest OS ever written.

    >
    > Reminds me of a joke I read the other day. Did you hear about the new
    > Microsoft vacuum cleaner? It's the only thing Microsoft has ever made that
    > *doesn't* suck.


    HAR, HAR, HAR. They don't need a vacuum cleaner - they have you.



  19. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    >In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Dave in Philadelphia wrote:
    >> I have decade-old Western Digital, Maxtor and Toshiba drives still
    >> chugging away, but this putrid piece of penguin poop is already going bad.

    >
    >> What the heck sort of company is this? I lost 5GB of important jpeg data
    >> and I am hopping mad.

    >
    >Ever heard that disks have a chance of dying? Even without moshandling?
    >And especially consumer-grade disks? Also ever heard of backup?
    >
    >Seems to me the only thing really bad here is your perspective
    >and knowledge...


    Way to pile-on, Arno.


  20. Re: My 6-month-old Fujitsu hard drive just started going bad

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:09:08 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Freeze spray (electronics store or Radio Shack) is a less messy
    >> alternative, but generally the freezer method works better.

    >
    > Don't think I'd trust freeze spray. The cooling has to be even and with
    > freeze spray, it tends to be highly locallised and very uneven.
    >
    > If it is just a chip overheating you can get at, a freeze spray might do the
    > trick, but otherwise, you don't want an unevenly heated platter. Could cause
    > warping or other nasty side effects.


    Yes, that's one of the problems with freeze spray.
    It works better if you have an idea what part might be causing the problem.
    Scatter spraying usually doesn't work.

    The freezer method *can work* but there are risks,
    The guy has to decide if getting the data back is worth the risk.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast