Famed investor backs away from web-obsessed Microsoft---Accuses firmof 'Google-envy' - Linux

This is a discussion on Famed investor backs away from web-obsessed Microsoft---Accuses firmof 'Google-envy' - Linux ; A well-known hedge-fund manager has hit out at Microsoft’s “overaggressive and almost panicky” attempts to plump up its online investments. David Einhorn, president and founder of Greenlight Capital, yesterday accused Microsoft of suffering from “Google-envy” and said he was giving ...

  1. Famed investor backs away from web-obsessed Microsoft---Accuses firmof 'Google-envy'

    A well-known hedge-fund manager has hit out at Microsoft’s
    “overaggressive and almost panicky” attempts to plump up its online
    investments.

    David Einhorn, president and founder of Greenlight Capital, yesterday
    accused Microsoft of suffering from “Google-envy” and said he was
    giving up on investing in the software giant until it learns to play
    ball. The scolding came in the firm's latest report to shareholders,
    according to Silicon Valley Insider...

    "The CEO is a very smart and very wealthy man. Perhaps, he is so
    wealthy that he has bigger ideas and aspirations than making MSFT’s
    shareholders wealthier. We’ve given up on MSFT for now as we feel
    better investing in companies where management at least appears to be
    trying to work for shareholders."

    Einhorn famously fingered the Lehman Brothers debacle months before it
    collapsed, questioning the accuracy of accounting and warning that
    trouble was brewing at the brokerage firm.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...t_investments/
    http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/10/...rosoft-ballmer

    Maybe someone had better tell Ray Lopez 0.999 before he loses even
    more cash.

  2. Re: Famed investor backs away from web-obsessed Microsoft---Accuses firm of 'Google-envy'

    On 2008-10-08, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu claimed:

    > A well-known hedge-fund manager has hit out at Microsoft?s
    > ?overaggressive and almost panicky? attempts to plump up its online
    > investments.
    >
    > David Einhorn, president and founder of Greenlight Capital, yesterday
    > accused Microsoft of suffering from ?Google-envy? and said he was
    > giving up on investing in the software giant until it learns to play
    > ball. The scolding came in the firm's latest report to shareholders,
    > according to Silicon Valley Insider...
    >
    > "The CEO is a very smart and very wealthy man. Perhaps, he is so
    > wealthy that he has bigger ideas and aspirations than making MSFT?s
    > shareholders wealthier. We?ve given up on MSFT for now as we feel
    > better investing in companies where management at least appears to be
    > trying to work for shareholders."
    >
    > Einhorn famously fingered the Lehman Brothers debacle months before it
    > collapsed, questioning the accuracy of accounting and warning that
    > trouble was brewing at the brokerage firm.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...t_investments/
    > http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/10/...rosoft-ballmer
    >
    > Maybe someone had better tell Ray Lopez 0.999 before he loses even
    > more cash.

    I think he's shooting for a 20-year low before he sells. That shouldn't
    take too much longer to see.

    --
    Microsoft: The company that made instant messaging dangerous.

  3. Re: Famed investor backs away from web-obsessed Microsoft---Accuses firm of 'Google-envy'

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Maybe someone had better tell Ray Lopez 0.999 before he loses even
    > more cash.

    Why?

  4. Re: Famed investor backs away from web-obsessed Microsoft---Accusesfirm of 'Google-envy'

    bbgruff espoused:
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe someone had better tell Ray Lopez 0.999 before he loses even
    >> more cash.

    > Why?

    Interesting question - how about just telling everybody else...