Vista would crash and lock up - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista would crash and lock up - Linux ; "What made me switch to Linux was I bought a brand new Dell, from Dell and it shipped with Vista on it. Right out of the box it would crash and lock up on me! I finally wiped the hard ...

  1. Vista would crash and lock up

    "What made me switch to Linux was I bought a brand new Dell, from Dell
    and it shipped with Vista on it. Right out of the box it would crash
    and lock up on me! I finally wiped the hard drive and reloaded it with
    Linux. Problem solved. Has not locked up since!"

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/12-mo...ruses-and.html

  2. Re: Vista would crash and lock up

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "What made me switch to Linux was I bought a brand new Dell, from Dell
    > and it shipped with Vista on it. Right out of the box it would crash
    > and lock up on me! I finally wiped the hard drive and reloaded it with
    > Linux. Problem solved. Has not locked up since!"
    >
    > http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/12-mo...ruses-and.html

    Our company has some Vista machines. For some, they present only minor
    issues. For others, more issues. One guy told me he was about to
    chuck Vista in the trash bin. Even with SP1, it was very iffy. He said
    now that he did the complete reinstall, it is working okay.

    I'll say one thing for Vista, though... it looks prettier than XP.

    --
    Q: What do you get when you cross the Godfather with an attorney?
    A: An offer you can't understand.

  3. Re: Vista would crash and lock up

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom

    wrote
    on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:21:17 -0400
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "What made me switch to Linux was I bought a brand new Dell, from Dell
    >> and it shipped with Vista on it. Right out of the box it would crash
    >> and lock up on me! I finally wiped the hard drive and reloaded it with
    >> Linux. Problem solved. Has not locked up since!"
    >>
    >> http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/12-mo...ruses-and.html

    > Our company has some Vista machines. For some, they present only minor
    > issues. For others, more issues. One guy told me he was about to
    > chuck Vista in the trash bin. Even with SP1, it was very iffy. He said
    > now that he did the complete reinstall, it is working okay.
    >
    > I'll say one thing for Vista, though... it looks prettier than XP.

    Has anyone even bothered to test the actual *hardware*?
    Even the best OS in the world can't possibly work well if
    the power supply is iffy on the machine proper.

    If one can get one's hands on an oscilloscope, one might be
    able to measure the amount of hum in the +5, -5, and -12V
    lines, though even a good multifunction digital voltmeter
    should be able to measure ripple and ensure the voltages
    are correct.

    Then again, Vista may not need this excuse (neither did Win95 et al
    and XP :-) ).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  4. Re: Vista would crash and lock up

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:21:17 -0400
    > :
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> "What made me switch to Linux was I bought a brand new Dell, from Dell
    >>> and it shipped with Vista on it. Right out of the box it would crash
    >>> and lock up on me! I finally wiped the hard drive and reloaded it with
    >>> Linux. Problem solved. Has not locked up since!"
    >>>
    >>> http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/12-mo...ruses-and.html

    >> Our company has some Vista machines. For some, they present only minor
    >> issues. For others, more issues. One guy told me he was about to
    >> chuck Vista in the trash bin. Even with SP1, it was very iffy. He said
    >> now that he did the complete reinstall, it is working okay.
    >>
    >> I'll say one thing for Vista, though... it looks prettier than XP.

    > Has anyone even bothered to test the actual *hardware*?
    > Even the best OS in the world can't possibly work well if
    > the power supply is iffy on the machine proper.

    Well, if you're talking about the scenario quoted above, then you must
    be dead wrong, since Linux (the better OS) works!

    > If one can get one's hands on an oscilloscope, one might be
    > able to measure the amount of hum in the +5, -5, and -12V
    > lines, though even a good multifunction digital voltmeter
    > should be able to measure ripple and ensure the voltages
    > are correct.
    >
    > Then again, Vista may not need this excuse (neither did Win95 et al
    > and XP :-) ).

    Too many variables.

    We do too much trashing of the "other guy" around here.

    I'll be the first to admit that I like Linux much better, and think it
    is generally better put together than Windows, and significantly
    faster at most operations. But others think differently.

    --
    Our business is run on trust. We trust you will pay in advance.

  5. Re: Vista would crash and lock up

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom

    wrote
    on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:59:46 -0400
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:21:17 -0400
    >> :
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Our company has some Vista machines. For some, they present only minor
    >>> issues. For others, more issues. One guy told me he was about to
    >>> chuck Vista in the trash bin. Even with SP1, it was very iffy. He said
    >>> now that he did the complete reinstall, it is working okay.
    >>>
    >>> I'll say one thing for Vista, though... it looks prettier than XP.

    >> Has anyone even bothered to test the actual *hardware*?
    >> Even the best OS in the world can't possibly work well if
    >> the power supply is iffy on the machine proper.

    > Well, if you're talking about the scenario quoted above, then you must
    > be dead wrong, since Linux (the better OS) works!

    FSVO "works". I'd be a little worried about hidden bits
    flipping in either OS.

    Then again, I do have an anecdote; I was helping set up
    Linux 1.2.9 or 1.2.13 -- I forget which -- way way way
    back when on a box, and it was having a lot of problems (I
    think it was mostly segmentation faults but don't remember
    the specifics). Under Windows, it "worked fine"...though
    after a little experimentation, we did discover evidence
    of corruption in the display; I think it started screwing
    up its fonts or something. Conclusion: hardware problem,
    switched to another box, and Linux worked fine.

    Another anecdote of a personal nature: added some RAM to
    my Athlon and it started showing evidence of issues related
    to memory corruption -- I forget the specifics there, too.
    Running memtest86 showed the RAM at fault; removed it, no
    more problems.

    Yet another: my nx9010 routinely shows display issues if
    I use anything more than 1024x768 on my external monitor.
    *That* is some sort of ATI driver problem, I'm sure, and
    relatively minor, if annoying -- though it is a used
    laptop and the battery was toast when I got it, which might
    mean something else was lightly baked too at the time.

    Not bad enough to make it unusable, fortunately, and I've
    only run it up to 66 degrees Celsius, according to its
    internal temperature sensor, which might be accurate;
    I can't say. (Someone else has a laptop that runs
    over 90 degrees Celsius. That can't be good, though a
    military-spec chip can go to 125 C.)

    All this shows is that systems might behave a bit differently,
    if they're marginal.

    >> If one can get one's hands on an oscilloscope, one might be
    >> able to measure the amount of hum in the +5, -5, and -12V
    >> lines, though even a good multifunction digital voltmeter
    >> should be able to measure ripple and ensure the voltages
    >> are correct.
    >>
    >> Then again, Vista may not need this excuse (neither did Win95 et al
    >> and XP :-) ).

    > Too many variables.

    True. Of course, insufficient power will *not* help --
    and I'm not sure what happened to it, but a GCC FAQ
    when compiling kernels at one point mentioned that a
    segmentation fault during the compile, especially if it
    doesn't appear in a consistent spot during the compile, is
    grounds for looking at and verifying the actual hardware,
    including the power supply.

    But that doesn't exclude other problems, such as driver
    issues, configuration problems, and just plain old bugs,
    which in Microsoft appear to be more prevalent than
    in Linux solutions -- presumably because Linux is more
    segmented and therefore bugs prior to release are easier to
    isolate and remove. There is also the possibility that
    Linux software isn't nearly as tied down to "big concept"
    releases like Vista. Basically, Linux software gets out
    when it's happy enough -- a true amateur approach, and not
    in a bad way, either as the term is derived from the Latin
    "to love", which supposedly always triumphs over hate,
    commercial concerns, sales deadlines, and physical obstacles. ;-)

    Nawwww...really? :-)

    > I'll be the first to admit that I like Linux much better, and think it
    > is generally better put together than Windows, and significantly
    > faster at most operations. But others think differently.

    I'll admit I think Linux + Gnome is better put together. X has
    been a little iffy lately, and KDE/Qt a bit of a mess. Still,
    that's a far cry from that other software solution...

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".