Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix - Linux

This is a discussion on Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix - Linux ; "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from older Unix versions." http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html...

  1. Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from older
    Unix versions."

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

  2. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    DFS wrote:

    > "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from
    > older Unix versions."
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    The entire concluding paragraph reads...

    So, in summary, SCO is right where it doesn't matter and wrong where it
    does. Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from
    older Unix versions. But because the relevant ancestral code was released
    in open source by SCO/Caldera before it was incorporated, SCO/Caldera has
    no case here.

    You really are scraping the rotten barrel here aren't you Stewie. Only a
    pillock like you could try to resurrect a dead decomposing duck!

    --
    The years have been very kind to me.

    It's the weekends that have done all the damage!

  3. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    "DFS" wrote in message
    newsL3Hk.39239$IB6.20539@bignews8.bellsouth.net...
    > "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from
    > older
    > Unix versions."
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    Originally yes but the article also says:

    But the rest of the news is all bad for SCO: most of the supposedly
    infringing code was ... (c) isn't present in 90% of all running Linux
    distributions, and (d) was removed from Linux 2.5 in July 2003 on grounds of
    being too ugly to live.

  4. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:52:21 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from
    > older Unix versions."
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

  5. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    On 2008-10-08, ray claimed:
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:52:21 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from
    >> older Unix versions."
    >>
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    > If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

    Poor Doofie:

    Unfortunately for SCO, the concession that Linux's atemalloc was
    probably copied from 32V helps their case not at all. Because the
    relevant ancient-Unix file, the 32V version, is legally available from
    here (links *here* http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/ and *here*
    http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/ancient-source-all.pdf).

    And why is this code available on the net? Because SCO/Caldera let the
    5th Edition, 6th Edition, Version 7, 32V, and System III code go out
    under a BSD-like license in January of 2002, well before the 2.4.19
    patch introduced this code into Linux.

    Here (http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/) is a copy of the letter in
    which Caldera officially announced the release of the "ancient Unix"
    source trees. Dion Johnson, who signed the letter, described himself
    as "Product Manager and one of many open source enthusiasts in
    Caldera Intl." Mr. Johnson's letter includes a pointer to the
    authorizing license letter. The authorizing letter fails to mention
    System III, but a copy of the SCO page from which it was offered
    along with the other ancient Unixes still exists on the Wayback
    Machine.

    DuFuS should go back to searching for people using Debian and Ubuntu
    who have complaints because their hardware is acting up, causing them
    carshes, lockups and other problems, and he ought to leave the thinking
    and logic matters to others. That troll was more like a flatso attempt
    than something with teeth.

    --
    VISTA: VISTA Is Stupid, Trite, Anal

  6. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    "Ezekiel" wrote in message

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    > newsL3Hk.39239$IB6.20539@bignews8.bellsouth.net...
    >> "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux from
    >> older
    >> Unix versions."
    >>
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    > Originally yes but the article also says:
    >

    > But the rest of the news is all bad for SCO: most of the supposedly
    > infringing code was ... (c) isn't present in 90% of all running Linux
    > distributions, and (d) was removed from Linux 2.5 in July 2003 on grounds
    > of being too ugly to live.

    Which parallels what Bruce Perens says about the Linux code being copied
    from BSD and not System V. Of course the purists insist that all the Linux
    code is original, but most know better.

  7. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:52:21 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux
    >> from older Unix versions."
    >>
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    > If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

    In Ubuntu and Fedora's case: if it ain't broke - break it. Then release it
    every six months, testing and readiness be damned. Then ignore the victims'
    complaints. Then call your crappy distro "perfect" and "stable"

    It must be la-la land!

  8. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    SomeBloke wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux
    >> from older Unix versions."
    >>
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    > The entire concluding paragraph reads...
    >

    > So, in summary, SCO is right where it doesn't matter and wrong where
    > it does. Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into
    > Linux from older Unix versions. But because the relevant ancestral
    > code was released in open source by SCO/Caldera before it was
    > incorporated, SCO/Caldera has no case here.
    >

    > You really are scraping the rotten barrel here aren't you Stewie.
    > Only a pillock like you could try to resurrect a dead decomposing
    > duck!

    Don't be mad, SlowBloke. Everyone knows Linux/OSS is written by some of the
    most talentless, copycat, hacker, cut-paste, clone/theftware developers on
    the planet. It's why Ubuntu has been freezing randomly for so long, on so
    many different types of hardware. And it's why none of the office apps can
    hold a candle to MS Office.

  9. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    DFS wrote:
    > Don't be mad, SlowBloke. Everyone knows Linux/OSS is written by some of the
    > most talentless, copycat, hacker, cut-paste, clone/theftware developers on
    > the planet.

    Bull****.
    You do know that even microsoft uses "cut and paste" from unix when it suits
    them, don't you?

    After all, they're too incompetent to write their own TCP/IP stack.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  10. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    DFS wrote:

    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux
    >>> from older Unix versions."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    >> The entire concluding paragraph reads...
    >>

    >> So, in summary, SCO is right where it doesn't matter and wrong where
    >> it does. Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into
    >> Linux from older Unix versions. But because the relevant ancestral
    >> code was released in open source by SCO/Caldera before it was
    >> incorporated, SCO/Caldera has no case here.
    >>

    >> You really are scraping the rotten barrel here aren't you Stewie.
    >> Only a pillock like you could try to resurrect a dead decomposing
    >> duck!

    > Don't be mad, SlowBloke. Everyone knows Linux/OSS is written by some of
    > the most talentless, copycat, hacker, cut-paste, clone/theftware
    > developers on the planet.

    Certainly. That simply has to be the reason why +90% of the Top500
    supercomputers run under linux. Windows is practically invisible there
    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

  11. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:57:22 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> SomeBloke wrote:

    >>> The entire concluding paragraph reads...
    >>>

    >>> So, in summary, SCO is right where it doesn't matter and wrong where
    >>> it does. Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into
    >>> Linux from older Unix versions. But because the relevant ancestral
    >>> code was released in open source by SCO/Caldera before it was
    >>> incorporated, SCO/Caldera has no case here.
    >>>

    >>> You really are scraping the rotten barrel here aren't you Stewie.
    >>> Only a pillock like you could try to resurrect a dead decomposing
    >>> duck!

    >> Don't be mad, SlowBloke. Everyone knows Linux/OSS is written by some of
    >> the most talentless, copycat, hacker, cut-paste, clone/theftware
    >> developers on the planet.

    > Certainly. That simply has to be the reason why +90% of the Top500
    > supercomputers run under linux. Windows is practically invisible there

    Has also to be the reason why more of the net runs on linux servers than
    windoze ones. Or maybe DooFu$ is going to call Blammer a liar now?

  12. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 01:23:17 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:52:21 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Yes, it does appear that in this case code was copied into Linux
    >>> from older Unix versions."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/smoking-fizzle.html

    >> If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

    > In Ubuntu and Fedora's case: if it ain't broke - break it. Then release it
    > every six months, testing and readiness be damned. Then ignore the victims'
    > complaints. Then call your crappy distro "perfect" and "stable"
    >
    > It must be la-la land!

    I can almost guarentee you that when 8.10 gets released in 2 weeks, the
    Ubuntu forums will be flooded with:

    XXYYZZZ used to work but now it doesn't.
    What's wrong?

    It will happen.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: Easiest way to write Linux kernel code: cut and paste from Unix

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 01:23:17 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

    >> In Ubuntu and Fedora's case: if it ain't broke - break it. Then release it
    >> every six months, testing and readiness be damned. Then ignore the victims'
    >> complaints. Then call your crappy distro "perfect" and "stable"
    >>
    >> It must be la-la land!

    > I can almost guarentee you that when 8.10 gets released in 2 weeks, the
    > Ubuntu forums will be flooded with:
    >
    > XXYYZZZ used to work but now it doesn't.
    > What's wrong?
    >
    > It will happen.

    Latest upgrades broke wicd - the new "soon to be default" wireless
    interface/client. You can imagine the fun. Suddenly no network
    again. Unbelievable.

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!