[News] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed - Linux

  1. [News] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    Where's Rob?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To put it in perspective, the US SC34 shadow committee currently has around
    | 20 members. Before Microsoft stuffed it we had around 7. Regardless, the US
    | SC34 mirror committee typically sends a delegation of 2 or 3 people to
    | international meetings. IBM attendance at these meetings has varied from 0 to
    | 2. It really depends on where the meeting is being held. If it is being
    | hosted by an NB where an IBM employee is a member, then he will typically
    | attend. If something is on the agenda that I find interesting, then I'll
    | typically attend regardless of location.
    `----

    http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/10/wheres-rob.html

    So this one is not surprising. Microsoft (in "ISO" clothing) voted to hijack
    ODF:

    ISO offers to take on ODF maintenance

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The international standards body ISO has offered to help maintain the ODF
    | document standard alongside its work on the rival Microsoft-originated OOXML
    | specification, saying its creator Oasis is not dealing with defect reports
    | quickly enough.
    |
    | At a meeting in Korea last week, the International Organization for
    | Standardization (ISO) committee for document standards, SC 34, issued a
    | liaison statement to Oasis, the body that created ODF. It requested
    | an "alignment" of maintenance of ODF between the work done at Oasis and that
    | within ISO.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9498926,00.htm

    Recent:

    The ISO Document: Brazil's Appeal and ISO/IEC's Attachments 1 & 2 - as text

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Brazil is a P member of SC 34, so according to my reading of the clause, it
    | has the right to appeal if any of the three above issues apply, and arguably
    | they all do. According to South Africa, if the issue is ISO's reputation, or
    | if there is a matter of principle involved, Brazil can appeal. Even point
    | three could apply, in that Brazil raises matters such as incorrect tabulation
    | of votes, which, if true, one would hope ISO wasn't aware of.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Why did they bother to go, one might ask? Why vote, if votes disappear from
    | the record? By my reading, Brazil paints a picture of an orchestrated event,
    | tilted away from criticism or a negative result and a refusal to give
    | substantive consideration to issues delegates wanted to discuss, due to time
    | constraints Brazil calls arbitrary, and worse.
    `----

    New doubts about ISO's fast-track standardisation of Microsoft OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An internal document of the International Standards Organization (ISO) that
    | found its way late last week on to the Wikileaks whistle-blower platform
    | raises further questions about the choice of a fast-track certification for
    | Microsoft's OOXML document format. The paper, by Joint Technical Committee
    | No. 1 (JTC 1) of the Geneva standards organization, which dates back to July
    | 2007, says the fast track procedure chosen for certifying Microsoft's
    | document format is only intended for the acceptance of unaltered standards
    | and that a standard not accepted in its original form, while not to be
    | regarded as "2nd class" or illegitimate, should be put through the normal
    | five-stage standardisation process, should necessary corrections be
    | identified in advance. The fast-track process, it says, is intended for
    | making changes to an original draft.
    `----

    http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/N...OOXML--/111065

    Puppet countries leaves P membership

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Puppet countries are leaving the P membership. Lebanon, Turkey,
    | Cyprus, and Trinidad & Tobago have already dropped out. All those countries
    | voted Yes without comments to OOXML.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-59702...s-p-membership

    Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
    | WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
    | says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
    | JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
    | have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
    | get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
    | AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107...by-corporation

    Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

    | In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
    | WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
    | standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
    | SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique.
    `----

    Software wars

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Allegations of committee-stuffing, the outcome of votes overridden by
    | political appointees, a final decision that many involved consider tainted:
    | this may sound like a discredited election in some third world country. But
    | it is actually a description of an ugly fight over international technical
    | standards that wrapped up this week. Microsoft came out on top, but at the
    | cost of tarnishing its reputation and the credibility of an important
    | back-room process that oils the wheels of many global industries.
    `----

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c9743360-01a...duk.com%2Ftool

  2. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed (was: [News] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed)

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:18:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    Spot the logic flaw.

    Supposedly, Microsoft has "stuffed" the US SC34 committee. Ok, let's
    accept that for the moment. According to Rob, below:

    >| Regardless, the US
    >| SC34 mirror committee typically sends a delegation of 2 or 3 people to
    >| international meetings.

    Ok, so even if the US committe sent only Microsoft employees, that means it
    sends only 2 or 3 members to an international committee.

    >| The international standards body ISO has offered to help maintain the ODF
    >| document standard alongside its work on the rival Microsoft-originated OOXML
    >| specification, saying its creator Oasis is not dealing with defect reports
    >| quickly enough.

    Ok, so please tell me how a maximum of "2 or 3" Microsoft atendees owns an
    international meeting of dozens?

    This is Roy's logic. A = B, therfore A = C (nevermind that B != C)

    If Microsoft Stuffs the US committee, And the US committee sends 2 or 3
    people to the international meeting, that means the international meeting
    is stuff too.

    Wow, what logic.

    > Where's Rob?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| To put it in perspective, the US SC34 shadow committee currently has around
    >| 20 members. Before Microsoft stuffed it we had around 7. Regardless, the US
    >| SC34 mirror committee typically sends a delegation of 2 or 3 people to
    >| international meetings. IBM attendance at these meetings has varied from 0 to
    >| 2. It really depends on where the meeting is being held. If it is being
    >| hosted by an NB where an IBM employee is a member, then he will typically
    >| attend. If something is on the agenda that I find interesting, then I'll
    >| typically attend regardless of location.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/10/wheres-rob.html
    >
    > So this one is not surprising. Microsoft (in "ISO" clothing) voted to hijack
    > ODF:
    >
    > ISO offers to take on ODF maintenance
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The international standards body ISO has offered to help maintain the ODF
    >| document standard alongside its work on the rival Microsoft-originated OOXML
    >| specification, saying its creator Oasis is not dealing with defect reports
    >| quickly enough.
    >|
    >| At a meeting in Korea last week, the International Organization for
    >| Standardization (ISO) committee for document standards, SC 34, issued a
    >| liaison statement to Oasis, the body that created ODF. It requested
    >| an "alignment" of maintenance of ODF between the work done at Oasis and that
    >| within ISO.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9498926,00.htm

  3. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed (was: [News] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed)

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:18:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > Spot the logic flaw.
    >
    > Supposedly, Microsoft has "stuffed" the US SC34 committee. Ok, let's
    > accept that for the moment. According to Rob, below:
    >
    >>| Regardless, the US
    >>| SC34 mirror committee typically sends a delegation of 2 or 3 people to
    >>| international meetings.

    > Ok, so even if the US committe sent only Microsoft employees, that means
    > it sends only 2 or 3 members to an international committee.
    >
    >>| The international standards body ISO has offered to help maintain the
    >>| ODF document standard alongside its work on the rival
    >>| Microsoft-originated OOXML specification, saying its creator Oasis is
    >>| not dealing with defect reports quickly enough.

    > Ok, so please tell me how a maximum of "2 or 3" Microsoft atendees owns an
    > international meeting of dozens?
    >
    > This is Roy's logic. A = B, therfore A = C (nevermind that B != C)
    >
    > If Microsoft Stuffs the US committee, And the US committee sends 2 or 3
    > people to the international meeting, that means the international meeting
    > is stuff too.
    >
    > Wow, what logic.

    Last thing I've heard was that MS has people working in other countries,
    too...
    --
    Ignorance is a condition. Stupidity is a way of life.

  4. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed (was: [News] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed)

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 08 October 2008 18:25 : \____

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:18:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Spot the logic flaw.
    >>
    >> Supposedly, Microsoft has "stuffed" the US SC34 committee. Ok, let's
    >> accept that for the moment. According to Rob, below:

    >> Ok, so even if the US committe sent only Microsoft employees, that means
    >> it sends only 2 or 3 members to an international committee.

    >> Ok, so please tell me how a maximum of "2 or 3" Microsoft atendees owns an
    >> international meeting of dozens?
    >>
    >> This is Roy's logic. A = B, therfore A = C (nevermind that B != C)
    >>
    >> If Microsoft Stuffs the US committee, And the US committee sends 2 or 3
    >> people to the international meeting, that means the international meeting
    >> is stuff too.
    >>
    >> Wow, what logic.

    > Last thing I've heard was that MS has people working in other countries,
    > too...

    There is an interesting comment from Rob Weir, in reply to a question from
    WuMingShi, at http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/10/wheres-rob.html :

    "There are several participants in SC34 who have had the stated goal of taking
    control of OOXML and ODF and maintaining them both in SC34 WG's. They've been
    quite open about this plan. The problem is that they are planning a future for
    standards that they neither own nor control nor have technical expertise.

    "This was an interesting goal when they first articulated this idea, around two
    years ago. However, now that we've seen that JTC1 is easily corruptible, both
    at the NB, SC and administrative levels, that JTC1 is incapable of fairly
    carrying out its own Directives, and that in practice SC34 is now so dominated
    by Microsoft that we could consider it a fully integrated division of
    Microsoft Corp., this push toward maintaining ODF in SC34 is both naive and
    dangerous. It will not happen. Doing so would be a huge step backwards in
    participation,openness, transparency, in IP rights and in technical quality.
    Drain the swamp first, and then let's talk."

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | {Hide sig} {Show sig} >{Close Application}<
    run-level 5 Oct 6 11:20 last=S

  5. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:25:38 +0200, Peter Khlmann wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:18:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Spot the logic flaw.
    >>
    >> Supposedly, Microsoft has "stuffed" the US SC34 committee. Ok, let's
    >> accept that for the moment. According to Rob, below:

    >> Ok, so even if the US committe sent only Microsoft employees, that means
    >> it sends only 2 or 3 members to an international committee.

    >> Ok, so please tell me how a maximum of "2 or 3" Microsoft atendees owns an
    >> international meeting of dozens?
    >>
    >> This is Roy's logic. A = B, therfore A = C (nevermind that B != C)
    >>
    >> If Microsoft Stuffs the US committee, And the US committee sends 2 or 3
    >> people to the international meeting, that means the international meeting
    >> is stuff too.
    >>
    >> Wow, what logic.

    > Last thing I've heard was that MS has people working in other countries,
    > too...

    That may be, but there was no evidence of that to support his claims in
    this post. He made claims in the title and the body which his references
    did not support.

  6. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:25:38 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:18:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Spot the logic flaw.
    >>>
    >>> Supposedly, Microsoft has "stuffed" the US SC34 committee. Ok, let's
    >>> accept that for the moment. According to Rob, below:

    >>> Ok, so even if the US committe sent only Microsoft employees, that means
    >>> it sends only 2 or 3 members to an international committee.

    >>> Ok, so please tell me how a maximum of "2 or 3" Microsoft atendees owns
    >>> an international meeting of dozens?
    >>>
    >>> This is Roy's logic. A = B, therfore A = C (nevermind that B != C)
    >>>
    >>> If Microsoft Stuffs the US committee, And the US committee sends 2 or 3
    >>> people to the international meeting, that means the international
    >>> meeting is stuff too.
    >>>
    >>> Wow, what logic.

    >> Last thing I've heard was that MS has people working in other countries,
    >> too...

    > That may be, but there was no evidence of that to support his claims in
    > this post. He made claims in the title and the body which his references
    > did not support.

    Well, what part of "half the members of the SC34 committee are MS people" is
    too difficult for you to understand?

    Face it, Erik, you can't weasel around the fact that MS tries to bring ODF
    under its control, given that their own "standard" was only accepted by
    bribing people all around the world

    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  7. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 08 October 2008 18:25 : \____
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:18:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Spot the logic flaw.
    >>>
    >>> Supposedly, Microsoft has "stuffed" the US SC34 committee. Ok, let's
    >>> accept that for the moment. According to Rob, below:

    >>> Ok, so even if the US committe sent only Microsoft employees, that means
    >>> it sends only 2 or 3 members to an international committee.

    >>> Ok, so please tell me how a maximum of "2 or 3" Microsoft atendees owns an
    >>> international meeting of dozens?
    >>>
    >>> This is Roy's logic. A = B, therfore A = C (nevermind that B != C)
    >>>
    >>> If Microsoft Stuffs the US committee, And the US committee sends 2 or 3
    >>> people to the international meeting, that means the international meeting
    >>> is stuff too.
    >>>
    >>> Wow, what logic.

    >> Last thing I've heard was that MS has people working in other countries,
    >> too...

    > There is an interesting comment from Rob Weir, in reply to a question from
    > WuMingShi, at http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/10/wheres-rob.html :
    >
    > "There are several participants in SC34 who have had the stated goal of taking
    > control of OOXML and ODF and maintaining them both in SC34 WG's. They've been
    > quite open about this plan. The problem is that they are planning a future for
    > standards that they neither own nor control nor have technical expertise.
    >
    > "This was an interesting goal when they first articulated this idea, around two
    > years ago. However, now that we've seen that JTC1 is easily corruptible, both
    > at the NB, SC and administrative levels, that JTC1 is incapable of fairly
    > carrying out its own Directives, and that in practice SC34 is now so dominated
    > by Microsoft that we could consider it a fully integrated division of
    > Microsoft Corp., this push toward maintaining ODF in SC34 is both naive and
    > dangerous. It will not happen. Doing so would be a huge step backwards in
    > participation,openness, transparency, in IP rights and in technical quality.
    > Drain the swamp first, and then let's talk."

    I suspect that if MS were to wage real war against a small African
    country, Erik F would find some way of justifying it. He shouldn't even
    be in this group.

  8. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomesthe Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e4971a59ac93a?

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: Erik Funkenbusch
    Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:09:42 -0500
    Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Steve Ballmer: Some Things Should Only Work
    in Windows

    [..] Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > 3 Reasons Why The OLPC Project has Microsoft Running Scared

    Here's a reason why EVERYONE should be running scared.

    1) Millions of NIGERIAN children with free PC's. There's a reason most
    of the 419 scams come out of nigeria, and now having millions of people
    with computers to run such scams will only make things worse.

    http://www.419eater.com/
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  9. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Thursday 09 October 2008 09:55 : \____

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday :

    >>> There is an interesting comment from Rob Weir, in reply to a
    >>> question from WuMingShi, at
    >>> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/10/wheres-rob.html :
    >>>
    >>> "There are several participants in SC34 who have had the stated
    >>> goal of taking control of OOXML and ODF and maintaining them both
    >>> in SC34 WG's. They've been quite open about this plan. The problem
    >>> is that they are planning a future for standards that they neither
    >>> own nor control nor have technical expertise.
    >>>
    >>> "This was an interesting goal when they first articulated this
    >>> idea, around two years ago. However, now that we've seen that JTC1
    >>> is easily corruptible, both at the NB, SC and administrative
    >>> levels, that JTC1 is incapable of fairly carrying out its own
    >>> Directives, and that in practice SC34 is now so dominated by
    >>> Microsoft that we could consider it a fully integrated division of
    >>> Microsoft Corp., this push toward maintaining ODF in SC34 is both
    >>> naive and dangerous. It will not happen. Doing so would be a huge
    >>> step backwards in participation,openness, transparency, in IP
    >>> rights and in technical quality. Drain the swamp first, and then
    >>> let's talk."

    >> I suspect that if MS were to wage real war against a small African
    >> country, Erik F would find some way of justifying it. He shouldn't
    >> even be in this group.

    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e4971a59ac93a?
    >
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > From: Erik Funkenbusch
    > Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:09:42 -0500
    > Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Steve Ballmer: Some Things Should Only Work
    > in Windows
    >

    > [..] Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > 3 Reasons Why The OLPC Project has Microsoft Running Scared

    > Here's a reason why EVERYONE should be running scared.
    >
    > 1) Millions of NIGERIAN children with free PC's. There's a reason most
    > of the 419 scams come out of nigeria, and now having millions of people
    > with computers to run such scams will only make things worse.
    >
    > http://www.419eater.com/

    Eventually, Intel dumped some proprietary products there (sold at a loss) while
    Microsoft corrupted Nigerian official/s.

    Erik is, as usual, defending or at least taking the side of the criminals.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
    Tasks: 145 total, 2 running, 143 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  10. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > [..] Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > 3 Reasons Why The OLPC Project has Microsoft Running Scared

    > Here's a reason why EVERYONE should be running scared.
    >
    > 1) Millions of NIGERIAN children with free PC's. There's a reason most
    > of the 419 scams come out of nigeria, and now having millions of people
    > with computers to run such scams will only make things worse.
    >
    > http://www.419eater.com/

    Oddly enough, in my inbox just now:

    Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:49:15 -0700
    From: DR OJOLOWO ADELEKE
    Subject: RE: GREETINGS

    Greetings,

    My name is Ojolowo ADELEKE businessman based in the United Kingdom,
    and I am about to propose to you a business. I got your contact from
    a friend in paraguay based in France i want to come to your country
    to establish Telecomunication and Real Estate business..

    I want to know the process and what i need to do, I was told that you
    are honest and have many international contacts which can help me
    with my vision. In fact i look forward to know you and to entrust you
    with this very gigantic business. ...

    --
    how bout a policy policing policy with a policy for changing the
    police policing policy

  11. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:57:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Eventually, Intel dumped some proprietary products there (sold at a loss) while
    > Microsoft corrupted Nigerian official/s.

    I seriously doubt that the Nigerian officials need any help with
    corruption.
    It seems to come naturally to that country.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  12. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:12:51 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:57:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Eventually, Intel dumped some proprietary products there (sold at a loss) while
    >> Microsoft corrupted Nigerian official/s.

    > I seriously doubt that the Nigerian officials need any help with
    > corruption.
    > It seems to come naturally to that country.

    Most third world countries have rampant corruption. In most of those
    countries, it's the only way you can do business. They will actively
    harass and impede you if you don't pay the bribes.

  13. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed (was: [News] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed)

    Erik "the weasel" Funkenbusch wrote:

    >Wow, what logic.

    Wow, what irony.

    --
    "If they were committed to Linux, they'd be developing exclusively for
    Linux." - Funkenbusch 17 Oct 2006

  14. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:12:51 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:57:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Eventually, Intel dumped some proprietary products there (sold at a loss) while
    >>> Microsoft corrupted Nigerian official/s.

    >> I seriously doubt that the Nigerian officials need any help with
    >> corruption.
    >> It seems to come naturally to that country.

    > Most third world countries have rampant corruption. In most of those
    > countries, it's the only way you can do business. They will actively
    > harass and impede you if you don't pay the bribes.

    Almost any hot countries in my experience. Did you ever try to get a
    Greek taxi driver to put his meter on? An Indian market stall holder to
    charge a foreigner the market price? And we know that Arabs in general
    consider not telling the truth a god given right!

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  15. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    Hadron wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    >>> I seriously doubt that the Nigerian officials need any help with
    >>> corruption.
    >>> It seems to come naturally to that country.

    >> Most third world countries have rampant corruption. In most of those
    >> countries, it's the only way you can do business. They will actively
    >> harass and impede you if you don't pay the bribes.

    > Almost any hot countries in my experience. Did you ever try to get a
    > Greek taxi driver to put his meter on? An Indian market stall holder to
    > charge a foreigner the market price? And we know that Arabs in general
    > consider not telling the truth a god given right!

    So you are an arab?
    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

  16. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    In article ,
    Hadron wrote:
    > Almost any hot countries in my experience. Did you ever try to get a
    > Greek taxi driver to put his meter on? An Indian market stall holder to
    > charge a foreigner the market price? And we know that Arabs in general
    > consider not telling the truth a god given right!

    American merchants will take advantage of strangers when they can, too.
    I used to work within a block of Colorado Blvd, in Pasadena, California.
    That annual Tournament of Roses Parade goes down that street. Starting
    days before, people from all over the country, and even from other
    countries, start arriving and camping out near the parade route. (In
    many ways this is cool--overnight is basically a party all along
    Colorado Blvd, especially the night before the parade).

    One day, a couple days before the parade, I went to grab lunch at the
    burger and sandwich shop near work that I usually went to for lunch. I
    ordered my usual, and started pulling the usual amount out of my wallet.
    The cashier, who I did not recognized--probably a temp hired for the
    extra business near the parade, stated the price--and it was around 3 or
    4 times what it should have been! I stammered something and looked
    confused. The owner happened to notice, and whispered to the cashier,
    "he's local". The cashier than whispered the normal price to me, which
    I paid.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  17. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    >>> Most third world countries have rampant corruption. In most of those
    >>> countries, it's the only way you can do business. They will actively
    >>> harass and impede you if you don't pay the bribes.

    >> Almost any hot countries in my experience. Did you ever try to get a
    >> Greek taxi driver to put his meter on? An Indian market stall holder to
    >> charge a foreigner the market price? And we know that Arabs in general
    >> consider not telling the truth a god given right!

    > So you are an arab?

    What an incredible concatenation of bigotry and superstition.

    (Peter and Roy excepted).

    --

  18. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Almost any hot countries in my experience. Did you ever try to get a
    >> Greek taxi driver to put his meter on? An Indian market stall holder to
    >> charge a foreigner the market price? And we know that Arabs in general
    >> consider not telling the truth a god given right!

    > American merchants will take advantage of strangers when they can, too.
    > I used to work within a block of Colorado Blvd, in Pasadena, California.
    > That annual Tournament of Roses Parade goes down that street. Starting
    > days before, people from all over the country, and even from other
    > countries, start arriving and camping out near the parade route. (In
    > many ways this is cool--overnight is basically a party all along
    > Colorado Blvd, especially the night before the parade).
    >
    > One day, a couple days before the parade, I went to grab lunch at the
    > burger and sandwich shop near work that I usually went to for lunch. I
    > ordered my usual, and started pulling the usual amount out of my wallet.
    > The cashier, who I did not recognized--probably a temp hired for the
    > extra business near the parade, stated the price--and it was around 3 or
    > 4 times what it should have been! I stammered something and looked
    > confused. The owner happened to notice, and whispered to the cashier,
    > "he's local". The cashier than whispered the normal price to me, which
    > I paid.

    Well, it's hot in Pasadena, too.

    Not so much in L.A., where I got along fine most times with a car
    without A.C. Saw a guy taking a whizz on the 405 outside of Beverly
    Hills. Poor bastard's bladder couldn't take the wait, so there he was
    as five lanes of traffic streamed by on both sides.

    Contrary to expectations, though, there are quite a few corn-pone bigots
    of Hadron and Moshe's ilk in L.A.

    --
    OS/2 must die!

  19. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:53:30 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:12:51 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:57:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Eventually, Intel dumped some proprietary products there (sold at a loss) while
    >>> Microsoft corrupted Nigerian official/s.

    >> I seriously doubt that the Nigerian officials need any help with
    >> corruption.
    >> It seems to come naturally to that country.

    > Most third world countries have rampant corruption. In most of those
    > countries, it's the only way you can do business. They will actively
    > harass and impede you if you don't pay the bribes.

    I know.
    And to the idiots who claim painting with a wide brush, when was the last
    time you received a " fishing request from "Sven in Norway".

    I must get 2 dozen a week or more from Nigerian scammers.

    They wrote the book.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  20. Re: [Roy Schestowitz Proves he can't read once again] ISO Becomes the Convicted Monopolist Microsoft -- Vendor Capture Confirmed

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:46:27 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Almost any hot countries in my experience. Did you ever try to get a
    >> Greek taxi driver to put his meter on? An Indian market stall holder to
    >> charge a foreigner the market price? And we know that Arabs in general
    >> consider not telling the truth a god given right!

    > American merchants will take advantage of strangers when they can, too.
    > I used to work within a block of Colorado Blvd, in Pasadena, California.
    > That annual Tournament of Roses Parade goes down that street. Starting
    > days before, people from all over the country, and even from other
    > countries, start arriving and camping out near the parade route. (In
    > many ways this is cool--overnight is basically a party all along
    > Colorado Blvd, especially the night before the parade).
    >
    > One day, a couple days before the parade, I went to grab lunch at the
    > burger and sandwich shop near work that I usually went to for lunch. I
    > ordered my usual, and started pulling the usual amount out of my wallet.
    > The cashier, who I did not recognized--probably a temp hired for the
    > extra business near the parade, stated the price--and it was around 3 or
    > 4 times what it should have been! I stammered something and looked
    > confused. The owner happened to notice, and whispered to the cashier,
    > "he's local". The cashier than whispered the normal price to me, which
    > I paid.

    In Chinatown NYC it's known that they have 2 sets of menus, one for the
    locals and one for the tourists.
    Cab drivers will rob you blind, but at least in NYC you'll have a real
    tough time finding one who is not of Middle Eastern descent.

    Take a trip into the diamond district, or the camera district in NYC which
    is mostly run by Hasidic Jews and if you don't know what you are doing you
    get fleeced, and badly.

    It happens everywhere.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb