[News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops - Linux

  1. [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    Italian carrier ships Linux MID

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | BenQ and Italian mobile carrier TIM announced the availability of a MID with
    | both WiFi and HSDPA mobile networking. Running Red Flag's Midinux Linux
    | distro, the BenQ S6 Mobile Internet Device (MID) is equipped with an 800MHz
    | Intel Atom processor and 4.8-inch WVGA touchscreen.
    `----

    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6...15.html?kc=rss

    Recent:

    $98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | HiVision CO., LTD makes one of the worlds cheapest Linux laptops at $98 using
    | a new cheaper chipset, WiFi, 1GB flash storage, it runs Linux, 3 USB ports,
    | Ethernet, SDHC card reader, audio in and out. Voice-chat, Skype, multi-tabbed
    | Firefox browser support, Abiword for word processing.
    `----

    http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linu...sion-mininote/

    Related:

    Microsoft to limit capabilities of cheap laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home Edition
    | to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra low-cost PCs
    | (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    | screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they cannot
    | offer touch-screen PCs.
    |
    | The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to PC
    | makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The goal
    | apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that they don't
    | eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista, something both
    | Microsoft and the PC vendors would want to avoid.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft notes that the OSes under consideration for the devices include
    | Windows and Linux. Some PC makers have expressed a preference for Linux
    | because it helps them keep down the cost of the devices.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorized to discuss the program.
    |
    | "[Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
    | Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said.
    |
    | The official did not seem opposed to the program. It should stimulate more
    | competition between Windows and Linux in the ULPC market, and it could
    | invigorate sales because consumers who want an easy-to-use PC are likely to
    | prefer Windows, the official said.
    `----

    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D04...0F5F4479DEEE86

    Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorised to discuss the programme.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

  2. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > $98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> HiVision CO., LTD makes one of the worlds cheapest Linux laptops at
    >> $98 using a new cheaper chipset, WiFi, 1GB flash storage, it runs
    >> Linux, 3 USB ports, Ethernet, SDHC card reader, audio in and out.
    >> Voice-chat, Skype, multi-tabbed Firefox browser support, Abiword
    >> for word processing.

    > `----
    >
    > http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linu...sion-mininote/

    This is truly good news and will help to popularise Linux even further
    than the ASUS EeePC and other efforts. At that price, I would not mind
    having something like that to use in motel rooms during my travels.

    > Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft
    >> hopes to secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of
    >> Linux, according to an official at one PC maker, who asked not to
    >> be identified because he was not authorised to discuss the
    >> programme.

    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

    This may be a tough do, as XP is a chunkier operating system lacking the
    sparkling performance of Linux with a lightweight GUI. Then too, one
    still needs a form of background anti-virus and personal firewall, which
    adds burden to the CPU.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  3. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> $98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> HiVision CO., LTD makes one of the worlds cheapest Linux laptops at
    >>> $98 using a new cheaper chipset, WiFi, 1GB flash storage, it runs
    >>> Linux, 3 USB ports, Ethernet, SDHC card reader, audio in and out.
    >>> Voice-chat, Skype, multi-tabbed Firefox browser support, Abiword
    >>> for word processing.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linu...sion-mininote/

    > This is truly good news and will help to popularise Linux even further
    > than the ASUS EeePC and other efforts. At that price, I would not
    > mind having something like that to use in motel rooms during my
    > travels.

    As opposed to a 300 dollar one which you can install real SW on?

    BTW, Skype?!?!?! Closed source. No Webcam support.

    >> Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft
    >>> hopes to secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of
    >>> Linux, according to an official at one PC maker, who asked not to
    >>> be identified because he was not authorised to discuss the
    >>> programme.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

    > This may be a tough do, as XP is a chunkier operating system lacking
    > the sparkling performance of Linux with a lightweight GUI. Then too,
    > one still needs a form of background anti-virus and personal firewall,
    > which adds burden to the CPU.

    If only it were true. Recent threads started by Richard Rasker showed
    that XP netbooks are outselling Linux ones by a huge factor.

    --
    "True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It

  4. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> $98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linu...sion-mininote/

    >> This is truly good news and will help to popularise Linux even
    >> further than the ASUS EeePC and other efforts. At that price, I
    >> would not mind having something like that to use in motel rooms
    >> during my travels.
    >>

    > As opposed to a 300 dollar one which you can install real SW on?
    >
    > BTW, Skype?!?!?! Closed source. No Webcam support.

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]

    32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows needs a
    lot of help to be successful in the mind share of its targeted user
    base. Point out to everybody on COLA how wonderful it is. Ignore the
    meaning of the name of the newsgroup and its charter.

    Newsgroups: alt.os.windows-xp, comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: Rex Ballard
    Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:40:22 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: Linux Return Rate 4X More Than Windows

    "chrisv" [..] wrote:
    > Max Wachtel wrote:
    >> We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't
    >> really talked about it much until now. Our internal research has
    >> shown that the return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks,
    >> but the main cause of that is Linux. People would love to pay $299
    >> or $399 but they don't know what they get until they open the box.
    >> They start playing around with Linux and start realizing that it's
    >> not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time to learn
    >> it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
    >> four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    >> -Andy Tung MSI's U.S.Sales Director

    > I believe "4X" sounds a bit low. I would think more than half are
    > being returned.

    Interesting, MSI isn't one of the major Netbook vendors, and doesn't
    put their products on the retail sales floor. Acer and Asus do put
    their Linux netbooks on display at many strategic locations including
    major retailers, airport stores, and "duty free" stores. They are
    also on display at several large retailers like Circuit City, so that
    customers get a very clear understanding of exactly what they do and
    don't get. In many cases, the sales people even "undersell" the Linux
    systems, warning the customer that although it does come with Open
    Office, it's not exactly the same as Microsoft Office. But they have
    to be equally clear about the stripped down version of office included
    with the XP version, even though the customer has to pay as much as
    50% more for the hardware/software configuration required for the XP
    solution.

    ASUS and ACER are both reporting that sales rates on their Linux
    versions are 60% Linux and 40% Windows, and the trend seems to be
    moving more and more toward Linux. Part of the reason for this is
    that the netbooks are typically purchased as "second computers" that
    can be taken on the road and used in situations that aren't as
    practical for traditional laptops. If you have a laptop with a 17
    inch screen you probably won't be able to type on it if you are in a
    coach seat on an airplane. But if you have the tiny little Linux
    netbook, that can run using only flash storage, you can run the little
    baby PC for about 3 hours on the main battery, or use an external
    "booster" battery that can keep you running through transcontinental
    or transatlantic flights.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  5. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    >>> This is truly good news and will help to popularise Linux even
    >>> further than the ASUS EeePC and other efforts. At that price, I
    >>> would not mind having something like that to use in motel rooms
    >>> during my travels.
    >>>

    >> As opposed to a 300 dollar one which you can install real SW on?
    >>
    >> BTW, Skype?!?!?! Closed source. No Webcam support.

    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    > [quote] 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >
    > 32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows needs

    Where did I mention Windows?

    I merely mentioned Skype as being unsuitable under Linux.

  6. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> As opposed to a 300 dollar one which you can install real SW on?
    >>> [....]

    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >> 32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows needs
    >> Windows needs a lot of help to be successful in the mind share of
    >> its targeted user base. Point out to everybody on COLA how
    >> wonderful it is. Ignore the meaning of the name of the newsgroup
    >> and its charter.

    > Where did I mention Windows?

    The implication is readily apparent.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  7. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    >>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >>> 32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows needs
    >>> Windows needs a lot of help to be successful in the mind share of
    >>> its targeted user base. Point out to everybody on COLA how
    >>> wonderful it is. Ignore the meaning of the name of the newsgroup
    >>> and its charter.

    >> Where did I mention Windows?

    > The implication is readily apparent.

    I was referring to the larger capacity netbooks. Only you mentioned
    Windows.

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

  8. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    Hadron wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >>> Where did I mention Windows?

    >> The implication is readily apparent.

    > I was referring to the larger capacity netbooks. Only you mentioned
    > Windows.

    Certainly. After all, you wrote: "If only it were true. Recent threads
    started by Richard Rasker showed that XP netbooks are outselling Linux ones
    by a huge factor"

    You not only talk about windows, you talk about "XP netbooks". No mention
    of "larger capacity" and other such nonsense.
    How come that you so extremely often have to "clarify" later what
    it "really" was what you wrote?
    Just to not look like the blatant liar you are, that is
    --
    Avoid reality at all costs.

  9. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >>> The implication is readily apparent.

    >> I was referring to the larger capacity netbooks. Only you mentioned
    >> Windows.
    >>

    > Certainly. After all, you wrote: "If only it were true. Recent threads
    > started by Richard Rasker showed that XP netbooks are outselling Linux ones
    > by a huge factor"

    So I mentioned HIM mentioning XP.

    > You not only talk about windows, you talk about "XP netbooks". No mention
    > of "larger capacity" and other such nonsense.

    No. I talked about Rasker mentioning them. Get it right.

    > How come that you so extremely often have to "clarify" later what
    > it "really" was what you wrote?
    > Just to not look like the blatant liar you are, that is

    Quite simple. A lot of COLA advocates are unable to tell the truth. You
    being one of course.

    --
    "My college theater antics were the inspiration for Robin
    Williams' character on Mork & Mindy"

  10. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> I was referring to the larger capacity netbooks. Only you mentioned
    >> Windows.
    >>

    > Certainly. After all, you wrote: "If only it were true. Recent threads
    > started by Richard Rasker showed that XP netbooks are outselling Linux ones
    > by a huge factor"
    >
    > You not only talk about windows, you talk about "XP netbooks". No mention
    > of "larger capacity" and other such nonsense.
    > How come that you so extremely often have to "clarify" later what
    > it "really" was what you wrote?
    > Just to not look like the blatant liar you are, that is

    Hadrone Queeg, Confabulatist. Conflator. And (could it really be true?)
    Liar.

    Who'd a thunk it?

    He gets confused on even the stuff /he/ posts.

    --
    When your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
    They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem.

  11. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 08 October 2008 02:05 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> $98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> HiVision CO., LTD makes one of the worlds cheapest Linux laptops at
    >>> $98 using a new cheaper chipset, WiFi, 1GB flash storage, it runs
    >>> Linux, 3 USB ports, Ethernet, SDHC card reader, audio in and out.
    >>> Voice-chat, Skype, multi-tabbed Firefox browser support, Abiword
    >>> for word processing.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linu...sion-mininote/

    > This is truly good news and will help to popularise Linux even further
    > than the ASUS EeePC and other efforts. At that price, I would not mind
    > having something like that to use in motel rooms during my travels.
    >

    >> Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft
    >>> hopes to secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of
    >>> Linux, according to an official at one PC maker, who asked not to
    >>> be identified because he was not authorised to discuss the
    >>> programme.

    >> `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

    > This may be a tough do, as XP is a chunkier operating system lacking the
    > sparkling performance of Linux with a lightweight GUI. Then too, one
    > still needs a form of background anti-virus and personal firewall, which
    > adds burden to the CPU.

    Moments ago someone posted this comment in my site:

    "I reside in Chiangmai Thailand presently. The computer stores have stocked
    four models of notebook from Benq. All run Linux and Benq have no offerings
    running Windows."

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    run-level 5 Oct 6 11:20 last=S

  12. Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper on Wednesday :
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> $98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linu...sion-mininote/
    >>>

    >> This is truly good news and will help to popularise Linux even
    >> further than the ASUS EeePC and other efforts. At that price, I
    >> would not mind having something like that to use in motel rooms
    >> during my travels.
    >>

    >>> Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

    >> This may be a tough do, as XP is a chunkier operating system
    >> lacking the sparkling performance of Linux with a lightweight GUI.
    >> Then too, one still needs a form of background anti-virus and
    >> personal firewall, which adds burden to the CPU.

    > Moments ago someone posted this comment in my site:
    >
    > "I reside in Chiangmai Thailand presently. The computer stores have
    > stocked four models of notebook from Benq. All run Linux and Benq
    > have no offerings running Windows."

    With greater emphasis on law compliance with copyrights with serious LEO
    crackdowns on violators, the sound cost effective thing to do is to
    install a legal OS like Linux. Both vendor and buyer benefit. That is
    something the Wintrolls cannot grasp.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati