[News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux - Linux ; The CERN Computer Center is the number-crunching hub that powers the physics research lab's quest to discover the nature of the universe. A formidable 8,000 servers housing 40,000 Intel processor cores provide the grunt to help crack the petabytes of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

  1. [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux


    The CERN Computer Center is the number-crunching hub that powers the
    physics research lab's quest to discover the nature of the universe.

    A formidable 8,000 servers housing 40,000 Intel processor cores
    provide the grunt to help crack the petabytes of data spewed out from
    CERN's cutting-edge particle accelerators, based here....

    The computing center holds 1,500 10-gigabit ports for data exchange
    and 70,000 1-gigabit ports for information flow among CERN sites.
    These are just some of the switching points.

    Once the data arrives at the center it is immediately stored and
    reprocessed before being made available to 7,000 physicists in 33
    countries via the LHC grid.

    ....All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.


    http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

  2. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    > components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.


    This bit must be wrong!

    Linux?????
    Impossible....
    - unstable
    - freezes
    - difficult to use
    - only used by 2 people in the world (you and me!)
    - needs a green monitor
    - have to use the Command Line
    - Communistic!
    - a virus!
    - nobody uses Linux for Serious Work
    - intelligent people wouldn't touch it
    - would do better with Windows - the Industry Standard!

    .... did I miss anything?

  3. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    bbgruff writes:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    >> components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.

    >
    > This bit must be wrong!
    >
    > Linux?????
    > Impossible....
    > - unstable
    > - freezes
    > - difficult to use
    > - only used by 2 people in the world (you and me!)
    > - needs a green monitor
    > - have to use the Command Line
    > - Communistic!
    > - a virus!
    > - nobody uses Linux for Serious Work
    > - intelligent people wouldn't touch it
    > - would do better with Windows - the Industry Standard!
    >
    > ... did I miss anything?


    Where did you get all that nonsense from?

    --
    "There is no such thing as Intellectual Property"
    Mark Kent
    COLA Hypocrite

  4. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >
    > The CERN Computer Center is the number-crunching hub that powers the
    > physics research lab's quest to discover the nature of the universe.
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    > components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.
    >

    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20


    This month's Linux Journal has some nice articles about the RoadRunner
    super-computer, a debugger for Cell processors, and a neat thing called
    CUDA, which uses an Nvidia GPU to get some great performance at
    threading.

    Check it out!

    --
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!

  5. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, bbgruff belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    >> components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.

    >
    > This bit must be wrong!
    >
    > Linux?????
    > Impossible....
    > - unstable
    > - freezes
    > - difficult to use
    > - only used by 2 people in the world (you and me!)
    > - needs a green monitor
    > - have to use the Command Line
    > - Communistic!
    > - a virus!
    > - nobody uses Linux for Serious Work
    > - intelligent people wouldn't touch it
    > - would do better with Windows - the Industry Standard!
    >
    > ... did I miss anything?


    Yeah... the people who think that way are simply off their rockers.

    --
    I demand IMPUNITY!

  6. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 00:12:37 +0100, bbgruff wrote:
    >nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:


    >> ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    >> components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.


    >This bit must be wrong!


    >Linux?????
    >Impossible....
    > - unstable
    > - freezes
    > - difficult to use
    > - only used by 2 people in the world (you and me!)
    > - needs a green monitor
    > - have to use the Command Line
    > - Communistic!
    > - a virus!
    > - nobody uses Linux for Serious Work
    > - intelligent people wouldn't touch it
    > - would do better with Windows - the Industry Standard!


    >... did I miss anything?


    Yeah, use windows: maybe that much hardware would make a system able to
    draw a desktop in less than 5 seconds.

  7. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 19:43:01 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >>
    >> The CERN Computer Center is the number-crunching hub that powers the
    >> physics research lab's quest to discover the nature of the universe.
    >>
    >> . . .
    >>
    >> ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    >> components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.
    >>

    >>
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

    >
    > This month's Linux Journal has some nice articles about the RoadRunner
    > super-computer, a debugger for Cell processors, and a neat thing called
    > CUDA, which uses an Nvidia GPU to get some great performance at
    > threading.
    >
    > Check it out!


    I doubt you will find much objection to Linux as a supercomputer/clustered
    computing etc OS.
    Note that these are generally highly customized versions though.

    That's a great place for Linux.
    So is embedded devices.
    So is servers.

    I certainly don't, and never have objected to that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > bbgruff writes:
    >
    >> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    >>> components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.

    >>
    >> This bit must be wrong!
    >>
    >> Linux?????
    >> Impossible....
    >> - unstable
    >> - freezes
    >> - difficult to use
    >> - only used by 2 people in the world (you and me!)
    >> - needs a green monitor
    >> - have to use the Command Line
    >> - Communistic!
    >> - a virus!
    >> - nobody uses Linux for Serious Work
    >> - intelligent people wouldn't touch it
    >> - would do better with Windows - the Industry Standard!
    >>
    >> ... did I miss anything?

    >
    > Where did you get all that nonsense from?
    >

    Your wintroll friends have been spouting that crap for over a decade.
    don't you pay attention?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
    | | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | operating system originally coded for a 4 bit |
    | in |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
    | Computer Science | can't stand 1 bit of competition. |

  9. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:53:04 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> bbgruff writes:
    >>
    >>> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    >>>> components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.
    >>>
    >>> This bit must be wrong!
    >>>
    >>> Linux?????
    >>> Impossible....
    >>> - unstable
    >>> - freezes
    >>> - difficult to use
    >>> - only used by 2 people in the world (you and me!)
    >>> - needs a green monitor
    >>> - have to use the Command Line
    >>> - Communistic!
    >>> - a virus!
    >>> - nobody uses Linux for Serious Work
    >>> - intelligent people wouldn't touch it
    >>> - would do better with Windows - the Industry Standard!
    >>>
    >>> ... did I miss anything?

    >>
    >> Where did you get all that nonsense from?
    >>

    > Your wintroll friends have been spouting that crap for over a decade.
    > don't you pay attention?


    For a desktop system....
    You're not paying attention.

    Some of it I agree with, other parts I do not agree with.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  10. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> bbgruff writes:
    >>
    >>> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    >>>> components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.
    >>>
    >>> This bit must be wrong!
    >>>
    >>> Linux?????
    >>> Impossible....
    >>> - unstable
    >>> - freezes
    >>> - difficult to use
    >>> - only used by 2 people in the world (you and me!)
    >>> - needs a green monitor
    >>> - have to use the Command Line
    >>> - Communistic!
    >>> - a virus!
    >>> - nobody uses Linux for Serious Work
    >>> - intelligent people wouldn't touch it
    >>> - would do better with Windows - the Industry Standard!
    >>>
    >>> ... did I miss anything?

    >>
    >> Where did you get all that nonsense from?
    >>

    > Your wintroll friends have been spouting that crap for over a decade.
    > don't you pay attention?


    What "wintroll friends"? Are you mad?

    There is a lot of unstability in Linux apps - but the kernel is ok. It
    is difficult to use for a long term Windows users for all but the most
    basic tasks. "Difficult" meaning "not the same" of course.

    --
    "Too bad they can't run your stupid ass out of here, flatfarb."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  11. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    > The CERN Computer Center is the number-crunching hub that powers the
    > physics research lab's quest to discover the nature of the universe.
    >
    > A formidable 8,000 servers housing 40,000 Intel processor cores
    > provide the grunt to help crack the petabytes of data spewed out from
    > CERN's cutting-edge particle accelerators, based here....
    >
    > The computing center holds 1,500 10-gigabit ports for data exchange
    > and 70,000 1-gigabit ports for information flow among CERN sites.
    > These are just some of the switching points.
    >
    > Once the data arrives at the center it is immediately stored and
    > reprocessed before being made available to 7,000 physicists in 33
    > countries via the LHC grid.
    >
    > ...All the hardware in the computing center uses off-the-shelf
    > components, and the servers run a customized version of Red Hat Linux.
    >

    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20


    It's enough to make a nerdy, Linux-using professor salivate....




  12. Re: [News] 8,000 servers, 40,000 cores, all running Linux

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:50:11 -0400, DFS wrote:


    > It's enough to make a nerdy, Linux-using professor salivate....


    Those that can't teach.....
    Those that can't teach, teach physical education.

    Look, people who have anti-social tendencies gravitate toward research
    because companies, institutes etc want to keep them away from the public at
    large because they are just too weird.

    It's just the way things work.

    This group is full of that type BTW.



    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread