Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim - Linux

This is a discussion on Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim - Linux ; http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like a Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are unwilling to learn it ...

  1. Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement

    "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get
    their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like a
    Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are unwilling
    to learn it and they were expecting to have Windows. We said a long time
    ago, we didn't want to make a Windows clone. It has a different interface
    especially with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. We think it's a better way but
    it's not the same way people are used to. That unfamiliarity can take a
    while to learn and there is an education that has to be stressed."

  2. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:57:42 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement
    >
    > "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get
    > their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like a
    > Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are unwilling
    > to learn it and they were expecting to have Windows. We said a long time
    > ago, we didn't want to make a Windows clone. It has a different interface
    > especially with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. We think it's a better way but
    > it's not the same way people are used to. That unfamiliarity can take a
    > while to learn and there is an education that has to be stressed."

    Get ready for the Linux loons to attempt to use some Jebidiah like argument
    to spin it their way.

    Something like: What do we really mean by *return*.
    Or
    Don't many people wipe Windows and install Linux?
    etc....

    Facts and statements from credible sources seem to give them fits.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement
    >
    > "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get
    > their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like a
    > Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are unwilling
    > to learn it and they were expecting to have Windows. We said a long time
    > ago, we didn't want to make a Windows clone. It has a different interface
    > especially with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. We think it's a better way but
    > it's not the same way people are used to. That unfamiliarity can take a
    > while to learn and there is an education that has to be stressed."

    Makes sense to me. That's why the seller must be very clear about their
    product's features. People can be incredibly blind when they make
    purchases.

    --
    There's a thrill in store for all for we're about to toast
    The corporation that we represent.

  4. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:57:42 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement

    >> "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get
    >> their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like
    >> a Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are
    >> unwilling to learn it and they were expecting to have Windows. We said a
    >> long time ago, we didn't want to make a Windows clone. It has a different
    >> interface especially with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. We think it's a
    >> better way but it's not the same way people are used to. That
    >> unfamiliarity can take a while to learn and there is an education that
    >> has to be stressed."

    > Get ready for the Linux loons to attempt to use some Jebidiah like
    > argument to spin it their way.
    >
    > Something like: What do we really mean by *return*.
    > Or
    > Don't many people wipe Windows and install Linux?
    > etc....
    >
    > Facts and statements from credible sources seem to give them fits.

    I don't see anything damaging to linux in this story. It addresses poor
    advertising/inability to read.

  5. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement
    >
    > "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get
    > their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like a
    > Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are unwilling
    > to learn it and they were expecting to have Windows. We said a long time
    > ago, we didn't want to make a Windows clone. It has a different interface
    > especially with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. We think it's a better way but
    > it's not the same way people are used to. That unfamiliarity can take a
    > while to learn and there is an education that has to be stressed."

    Why don;t you take this to alt.windowsshills.circle-jerking?

    Only the wintrolls care about this **** here.

  6. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Firey Bird belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:57:42 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>

    > http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement
    >>
    >> Get ready for the Linux loons to attempt to use some Jebidiah like
    >> argument to spin it their way.
    >>
    >> Something like: What do we really mean by *return*.
    >> Or
    >> Don't many people wipe Windows and install Linux?
    >> etc....
    >>
    >> Facts and statements from credible sources seem to give them fits.

    > I don't see anything damaging to linux in this story. It addresses poor
    > advertising/inability to read.

    And as if Moshe isn't spinning and pulling "facts" out of his ass.

    --
    Jenkinson's Law:
    It won't work.

  7. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > But to become a regular choice for Joe Sixpack's desktop, mr. Sixpack must
    > at least have a fair idea what it's all about, and -- most importantly --
    > that it is /not/ Windows. In this area, Linux could do with a bit of
    > marketing to instill name awareness into the greater audience in general
    > and IT retail in particular.

    True. But how much headway can you make against a user that is put off
    by a different *color scheme*?

    > Anyway, we have the Linux Mark Institute. Perhaps the time has come to
    > establish a Linux Marketing Institute as well?

    I thought they already existed. Including Canoncical.

  8. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    On Oct 8, 7:54*am, "Phil Da Lick!"
    wrote:
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > >http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Linux_Return_R...

    > > "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get
    > > their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like a
    > > Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are unwilling
    > > to learn it and they were expecting to have Windows. We said a long time
    > > ago, we didn't want to make a Windows clone. It has a different interface
    > > especially with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. We think it's a better way but
    > > it's not the same way people are used to. That unfamiliarity can take a
    > > while to learn and there is an education that has to be stressed."

    > Why don;t you take this to alt.windowsshills.circle-jerking?
    >
    > Only the wintrolls care about this **** here.

    Wintrolls like Chris Ahlstrom and Richard Rasker?

  9. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 8, 7:54*am, "Phil Da Lick!"
    > wrote:
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >> >http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Linux_Return_R...

    >> > "Unclear selling is happening, typically online....

    >> Why don;t you take this to alt.windowsshills.circle-jerking?
    >>
    >> Only the wintrolls care about this **** here.

    > Wintrolls like Chris Ahlstrom and Richard Rasker?

    You bastard!

    --
    Writers who use a computer swear to its liberating power in tones that bear
    witness to the apocalyptic power of a new divinity. Their conviction results
    -- Edward Mendelson, "The New Republic", February 22, 1988

  10. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    Firey Bird wrote:

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >> Facts and statements from credible sources seem to give them fits.

    Liar.

    >I don't see anything damaging to linux in this story. It addresses poor
    >advertising/inability to read.

    The lying flat**** loser is just begging for attention, that's all.

  11. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    Firey Bird wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:57:42 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement

    >>> "Unclear selling is happening, typically online. The customer will get
    >>> their netbook sent to their home and they imagine to find something like
    >>> a Microsoft desktop, but they see a brown Ubuntu version. They are
    >>> unwilling to learn it and they were expecting to have Windows. We said a
    >>> long time ago, we didn't want to make a Windows clone. It has a different
    >>> interface especially with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. We think it's a
    >>> better way but it's not the same way people are used to. That
    >>> unfamiliarity can take a while to learn and there is an education that
    >>> has to be stressed."

    >> Get ready for the Linux loons to attempt to use some Jebidiah like
    >> argument to spin it their way.
    >>
    >> Something like: What do we really mean by *return*.
    >> Or
    >> Don't many people wipe Windows and install Linux?
    >> etc....
    >>
    >> Facts and statements from credible sources seem to give them fits.

    > I don't see anything damaging to linux in this story. It addresses poor
    > advertising/inability to read.

    Ah - steady now.
    I think I see what your friend Moshe (aka flatfish) is on about now, and it's
    quite a valid point.

    He has claimed here for some time that machines pre-loaded with Linux are
    bought only so that they can be over-written with Windows (often "pirated"
    Windows).

    Following that reasoning, it would appear that some people are finding that
    they can't use their pirated Windows to overwrite the Linux on MSI machines,
    and are therefore returning them?

    I wonder why that should be?
    Is there something different about the XP used by MSI, so that a pirated
    Windows XP won't work on it?

    .... or perhaps there was some fallacy in the "only to over-write with Windows"
    argument?

  12. Re: Canonical confirms MSI's high return rate claim

    On 2008-10-08, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Firey Bird wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:57:42 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>>

    > http://osnews.com/story/20362/Canoni...Rate_Statement

    >>> Get ready for the Linux loons to attempt to use some Jebidiah like
    >>> argument to spin it their way.
    >>>
    >>> Something like: What do we really mean by *return*.
    >>> Or
    >>> Don't many people wipe Windows and install Linux?
    >>> etc....
    >>>
    >>> Facts and statements from credible sources seem to give them fits.

    >> I don't see anything damaging to linux in this story. It addresses poor
    >> advertising/inability to read.

    > Well, actually, I think that poor advertising *is* damaging to Linux -- or

    ...not so much. Sure it's a bit of a black eye but it's at least
    visibility. Since so few people are aware of Linux at this point, this
    sort of problem is to be expected. Ultimately, what's more important is
    how the hardware vendor deals with the situation.

    > any product, for that matter. This higher-than-average return rate isn't
    > exactly good for Linux, no matter how you look at it.

    All things considered... it is hardly the end of the world.

    [deletia]

    Trolls will always find something to whine about.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \