[News] Google's 'Office Killer' Evolves QUickly - Linux

  1. [News] Google's 'Office Killer' Evolves QUickly

    Google Spreadsheets gets software-inspired face lift

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | a simplified toolbar to the top of the page, much like the one Google Docs
    | received back in late March. The change is twofold: one to better organize
    | all the various bits and pieces that had turned the tool into something
    | resembling an airplane ****pit, as well as ready it for additional features.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Very recent:

    P&G Flirts with Google Apps and Scares the Bejesus Out of Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://advice.cio.com/thomas_wailgum...t_of_microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | work to do."
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

    Recent:

    Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
    | attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
    | taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
    | Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
    | laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
    | have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
    |
    | Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
    | more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
    | distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
    | company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

    Google Apps tops 1 million businesses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Almost all of the company's revenue comes from its search engine, which last
    | quarter accounted for more than $5 billion. New initiatives, such as the
    | Chrome browser, Google Gears, and Google Friend Connect, are focused on
    | building a mostly open-source Internet operating system out of Google
    | technology in order to funnel more user data and targeted advertising
    | opportunities into the Googleplex financial engine.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

  2. Re: [News] Google's 'Office Killer' Evolves QUickly

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:59:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Google Spreadsheets gets software-inspired face lift
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| a simplified toolbar to the top of the page, much like the one Google Docs
    >| received back in late March. The change is twofold: one to better organize
    >| all the various bits and pieces that had turned the tool into something
    >| resembling an airplane ****pit, as well as ready it for additional features.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-...=2547-1_3-0-20

    We have different ideas of what "quick" is.

    Considering that Google docs hasn't changed much since it's inception over
    2 years ago, "evolves quickly" is kind of odd.

  3. Re: [News] Google's 'Office Killer' Evolves QUickly

    "Erik Funkenbusch" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:59:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Google Spreadsheets gets software-inspired face lift
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| a simplified toolbar to the top of the page, much like the one Google
    >>Docs
    >>| received back in late March. The change is twofold: one to better
    >>organize
    >>| all the various bits and pieces that had turned the tool into something
    >>| resembling an airplane ****pit, as well as ready it for additional
    >>features.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-...=2547-1_3-0-20

    > We have different ideas of what "quick" is.
    >
    > Considering that Google docs hasn't changed much since it's inception over
    > 2 years ago, "evolves quickly" is kind of odd.

    Google docs hasn't managed to "kill" WordPerfect yet... it's hardly killing
    MS-Office. Especially since Google has basically demonstrated that it
    doesn't have much interest in online docs since there isn't much development
    being done.

+ Reply to Thread