Linux users excluded from Oxbridge - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux users excluded from Oxbridge - Linux ; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm Time to "Boycott" the great universities. "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading academics available through iTunes."...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm

    Time to "Boycott" the great universities.

    "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    academics available through iTunes."

  2. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Hadron wrote:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >
    > Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >
    > "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    > academics available through iTunes."

    Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch, I don't think that they will let a
    little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.

    I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    from here http://getsongbird.com/

    No doubt there are other solutions but I found these after a simple Google
    search.

    --
    The years have been very kind to me.

    It's the weekends that have done all the damage!

  3. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    SomeBloke writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>
    >> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>
    >> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >> academics available through iTunes."

    > Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch, I don't think that they will let a
    > little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.

    > I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    > from here http://getsongbird.com/

    Or just run iTunes ....

    Songbird is garbage. Totally over engineered. Why? Simple. Too much
    reinventing the wheel. e.g built in version checking (let the OS
    repository management take care of that). Built in web browser (that
    sucks. Why?). Concert tickets (why?).

    It will have a built in word processor and food mixer soon too no
    doubt.

    > No doubt there are other solutions but I found these after a simple Google
    > search.

  4. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On Oct 8, 12:00*am, Hadron wrote:
    > SomeBloke writes:
    > > Hadron wrote:

    > >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm

    > >> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.

    > >> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    > >> academics available through iTunes."

    > > Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch, I don't think that they will let a
    > > little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.

    > > I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    > > from herehttp://getsongbird.com/

    > Or just run iTunes ....
    >
    > Songbird is garbage. Totally over engineered.

    The irony. ROFL.Itunes is what? 74MB bloatware download
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

  5. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Llanzlan Klazmon writes:

    > On Oct 8, 12:00*am, Hadron wrote:
    >> SomeBloke writes:

    >> > Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch, I don't think that they will let a
    >> > little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.

    >> > I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    >> > from herehttp://getsongbird.com/

    >> Or just run iTunes ....
    >>
    >> Songbird is garbage. Totally over engineered.

    > The irony. ROFL.Itunes is what? 74MB bloatware download
    > BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    I am not defending iTunes. But Songbird breaks the Linux philosophy IMO.

  6. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On Oct 8, 12:20*am, Hadron wrote:
    > Llanzlan Klazmon writes:

    > >> Or just run iTunes ....

    > >> Songbird is garbage. Totally over engineered.

    > > The irony. ROFL.Itunes is what? 74MB bloatware download
    > > BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    > I am not defending iTunes. But Songbird breaks the Linux philosophy IMO.

    Maybe but Songbird isn't specifically Linux software. The authors
    state that it is intended to be cross platform.

    In any case Songbird, Apple and even MS are also rans in the
    bloatware business. The undisputed kings of bloatware would have to be
    HP's windows printer software followed by anything from Adobe.

  7. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Llanzlan Klazmon writes:

    > On Oct 8, 12:20*am, Hadron wrote:
    >> Llanzlan Klazmon writes:

    >> > The irony. ROFL.Itunes is what? 74MB bloatware download
    >> > BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    >> I am not defending iTunes. But Songbird breaks the Linux philosophy IMO.

    > Maybe but Songbird isn't specifically Linux software. The authors
    > state that it is intended to be cross platform.
    >
    > In any case Songbird, Apple and even MS are also rans in the
    > bloatware business. The undisputed kings of bloatware would have to be
    > HP's windows printer software followed by anything from Adobe.

    No two ways. But then PDF in general is a nightmare.

    Even the HP Linux stuff is crap btw - confusing, buggy and ugly as
    sin. Almost certainly as a result of trying to make certain parts cross
    platform.

  8. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:00:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > SomeBloke writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>>
    >>> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>>
    >>> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >>> academics available through iTunes."

    >> Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch, I don't think that they will let a
    >> little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.

    >> I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    >> from here http://getsongbird.com/

    > Or just run iTunes ....

    Yep.
    That's the problem with the Linux mentality.
    They are so caught up in telling people how great their OS and programs are
    that they forget that people just want to get work done, enjoy some
    entertainment etc and do it with a minimum of fuss.

    Windows and Mac allow them to do this.
    Linux does not.

    This post is just another example of how the Linux user once again has to
    jump through hoops to make his OS work in the real world.

    > Songbird is garbage. Totally over engineered. Why? Simple. Too much
    > reinventing the wheel. e.g built in version checking (let the OS
    > repository management take care of that). Built in web browser (that
    > sucks. Why?). Concert tickets (why?).

    I'm using it right now.
    It's very sluggish.
    Looks like an older version of iTunes.

    > It will have a built in word processor and food mixer soon too no
    > doubt.

    Seems completely opposite of the Linux mantra of many smaller tools to do
    the job.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On Oct 7, 7:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >
    > Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >
    > "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    > academics available through iTunes."

    That's a bit unfair. Oxford University's content is being made
    available in two ways: either through iTunes U if you have iTunes or
    through a web page for those that are unable or unwilling to use
    iTunes. It was recognised from the outset that we should provide
    these two routes: there are lots of people out there who use Linux or
    unwilling to use iTunes and there are also lots of people who want to
    sync their iPod/iPhone with stuff they've downloaded with iTunes.
    Both these two routes are described at: http://itunes.ox.ac.uk/

    These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

  10. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Barry Cornelius writes:

    > On Oct 7, 7:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>
    >> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>
    >> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >> academics available through iTunes."

    > That's a bit unfair. Oxford University's content is being made
    > available in two ways: either through iTunes U if you have iTunes or
    > through a web page for those that are unable or unwilling to use
    > iTunes. It was recognised from the outset that we should provide
    > these two routes: there are lots of people out there who use Linux or
    > unwilling to use iTunes and there are also lots of people who want to
    > sync their iPod/iPhone with stuff they've downloaded with iTunes.
    > Both these two routes are described at: http://itunes.ox.ac.uk/
    >
    > These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

    You are shipping in at least mp3 (proprietary format) and m4b for some
    reason.

    That is enough to stop hard core loonies accessing it.

    But nice to see you did indeed try to service other people.

  11. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On 2008-10-07, Hadron wrote:
    > Barry Cornelius writes:
    >
    >> On Oct 7, 7:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>>
    >>> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>>
    >>> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >>> academics available through iTunes."

    >> That's a bit unfair. Oxford University's content is being made
    >> available in two ways: either through iTunes U if you have iTunes or
    >> through a web page for those that are unable or unwilling to use
    >> iTunes. It was recognised from the outset that we should provide
    >> these two routes: there are lots of people out there who use Linux or
    >> unwilling to use iTunes and there are also lots of people who want to
    >> sync their iPod/iPhone with stuff they've downloaded with iTunes.
    >> Both these two routes are described at: http://itunes.ox.ac.uk/
    >>
    >> These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

    > You are shipping in at least mp3 (proprietary format) and m4b for some
    > reason.
    >
    > That is enough to stop hard core loonies accessing it.

    Whatever are you babbling about?

    > But nice to see you did indeed try to service other people.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  12. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:

    > On Oct 8, 12:20*am, Hadron wrote:
    >> Llanzlan Klazmon writes:

    >> > The irony. ROFL.Itunes is what? 74MB bloatware download
    >> > BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    >> I am not defending iTunes. But Songbird breaks the Linux philosophy IMO.

    > Maybe but Songbird isn't specifically Linux software. The authors
    > state that it is intended to be cross platform.
    >
    > In any case Songbird, Apple and even MS are also rans in the
    > bloatware business. The undisputed kings of bloatware would have to be
    > HP's windows printer software followed by anything from Adobe.

    Nope, HP's Printer software is tiny compared to ..... HP's Scanner software,
    why does a scanner driver need to be over 230MB per scanner when SANE on
    Linux or viewscan (on Win,Mac or Linux) can provide drivers for hundreds of
    scanners in a few tens of MB?

  13. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Barry Cornelius wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 7:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>
    >> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>
    >> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >> academics available through iTunes."

    > That's a bit unfair. Oxford University's content is being made
    > available in two ways: either through iTunes U if you have iTunes or
    > through a web page for those that are unable or unwilling to use
    > iTunes. It was recognised from the outset that we should provide
    > these two routes: there are lots of people out there who use Linux or
    > unwilling to use iTunes and there are also lots of people who want to
    > sync their iPod/iPhone with stuff they've downloaded with iTunes.
    > Both these two routes are described at: http://itunes.ox.ac.uk/
    >
    > These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

    The BBC article looks suspiciously like an advertisement.

    It mentions iTunes six times. It mentions iPod and shows a picture of
    an iPod. It doesn't mention the other ways you indicate for accessing
    the information.

    Somebody is getting something from Apple in all this.

    To be more positive, thanks for providing a Linux option and for
    pointing it out in COLA. It would be good to spread the word better
    generally. As a practical matter, people can't use Linux to get this
    content unless they /know/ they can use it.

  14. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> You are shipping in at least mp3 (proprietary format) and m4b for some
    >> reason.
    >>
    >> That is enough to stop hard core loonies accessing it.

    > Whatever are you babbling about?

    Oh, just the usual bull**** from hardon.
    Move along, nothing to see here.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  15. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Matt writes:

    > Barry Cornelius wrote:
    >> On Oct 7, 7:32 am, Hadron wrote:
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>>
    >>> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>>
    >>> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >>> academics available through iTunes."

    >> That's a bit unfair. Oxford University's content is being made
    >> available in two ways: either through iTunes U if you have iTunes or
    >> through a web page for those that are unable or unwilling to use
    >> iTunes. It was recognised from the outset that we should provide
    >> these two routes: there are lots of people out there who use Linux or
    >> unwilling to use iTunes and there are also lots of people who want to
    >> sync their iPod/iPhone with stuff they've downloaded with iTunes.
    >> Both these two routes are described at: http://itunes.ox.ac.uk/
    >>
    >> These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

    > The BBC article looks suspiciously like an advertisement.
    >
    > It mentions iTunes six times. It mentions iPod and shows a picture of
    > an iPod. It doesn't mention the other ways you indicate for accessing
    > the information.
    >
    > Somebody is getting something from Apple in all this.

    YOu need to adjust your meds.

    The iPod is by far and away the most successful portable audio device
    ever.

    > To be more positive, thanks for providing a Linux option and for
    > pointing it out in COLA. It would be good to spread the word better
    > generally. As a practical matter, people can't use Linux to get this
    > content unless they /know/ they can use it.

    mp3 and m4a are hardly "Linux support". Its very poor and half
    arsed. But better than nothing as you say.

    --
    "It explains a lot. I've not heard of anyone I know, anywhere, buying XP,
    and I've not seen it sold whilst I've been in any shops."

  16. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> You are shipping in at least mp3 (proprietary format) and m4b for some
    >> reason.
    >>
    >> That is enough to stop hard core loonies accessing it.

    > Whatever are you babbling about?

    That's the sound of the fsckwit Quack back-pedaling furiously, after
    making a jackass of himself *yet again*.

    >> But nice to see you did indeed try to service other people.

    So, fsckwit Quack, no one is being "excluded", are they.

  17. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Barry Cornelius wrote:

    >>> That's a bit unfair. Oxford University's content is being made
    >>> available in two ways: either through iTunes U if you have iTunes or
    >>> through a web page for those that are unable or unwilling to use
    >>> iTunes. It was recognised from the outset that we should provide
    >>> these two routes: there are lots of people out there who use Linux or
    >>> unwilling to use iTunes and there are also lots of people who want to
    >>> sync their iPod/iPhone with stuff they've downloaded with iTunes.
    >>> Both these two routes are described at: http://itunes.ox.ac.uk/
    >>>
    >>> These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

    >> The BBC article looks suspiciously like an advertisement.
    >>
    >> It mentions iTunes six times. It mentions iPod and shows a picture of
    >> an iPod. It doesn't mention the other ways you indicate for accessing
    >> the information.
    >>
    >> Somebody is getting something from Apple in all this.

    > YOu need to adjust your meds.

    "... part of Apple's iTunes U initiative, whereby universities around
    the world are making free podcasts available to be downloaded from
    Apple's portal."

    They call it "iTunes U".

    > The iPod is by far and away the most successful portable audio device
    > ever.
    >
    >> To be more positive, thanks for providing a Linux option and for
    >> pointing it out in COLA. It would be good to spread the word better
    >> generally. As a practical matter, people can't use Linux to get this
    >> content unless they /know/ they can use it.

    > mp3 and m4a are hardly "Linux support".

    Your term.

    > Its very poor and half
    > arsed. But better than nothing as you say.

    I didn't say that.

    In what way are Linux users excluded?

    Like the man tried to say politely, your post was unfair.

  18. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >>> The BBC article looks suspiciously like an advertisement.
    >>>
    >>> It mentions iTunes six times. It mentions iPod and shows a picture of
    >>> an iPod. It doesn't mention the other ways you indicate for accessing
    >>> the information.
    >>>
    >>> Somebody is getting something from Apple in all this.

    >> YOu need to adjust your meds.

    > "... part of Apple's iTunes U initiative, whereby universities around
    > the world are making free podcasts available to be downloaded from
    > Apple's portal."
    >
    > They call it "iTunes U".

    And this has what to do with the BBC?

    >> The iPod is by far and away the most successful portable audio device
    >> ever.
    >>
    >>> To be more positive, thanks for providing a Linux option and for
    >>> pointing it out in COLA. It would be good to spread the word better
    >>> generally. As a practical matter, people can't use Linux to get this
    >>> content unless they /know/ they can use it.

    >> mp3 and m4a are hardly "Linux support".

    > Your term.

    "option" --> "support".

    >> Its very poor and half
    >> arsed. But better than nothing as you say.

    > I didn't say that.
    >
    > In what way are Linux users excluded?
    >
    > Like the man tried to say politely, your post was unfair.

    My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main
    method. Then they ship proprietary audio files as an alternative. Simple
    really. It could be better. But as I said - better than nothing.

    --
    "I hate Linux and Linux advocacy I hate Linux and Linux
    advocacy I hate Linux and Linux advocacy "

  19. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On 2008-10-08, Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Barry Cornelius wrote:

    >>> That's a bit unfair. Oxford University's content is being made
    >>> available in two ways: either through iTunes U if you have iTunes or
    >>> through a web page for those that are unable or unwilling to use
    >>> iTunes. It was recognised from the outset that we should provide
    >>> these two routes: there are lots of people out there who use Linux or
    >>> unwilling to use iTunes and there are also lots of people who want to
    >>> sync their iPod/iPhone with stuff they've downloaded with iTunes.
    >>> Both these two routes are described at: http://itunes.ox.ac.uk/
    >>>
    >>> These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

    >> The BBC article looks suspiciously like an advertisement.
    >>
    >> It mentions iTunes six times. It mentions iPod and shows a picture of
    >> an iPod. It doesn't mention the other ways you indicate for accessing
    >> the information.
    >>
    >> Somebody is getting something from Apple in all this.

    > YOu need to adjust your meds.
    >
    > The iPod is by far and away the most successful portable audio device
    > ever.

    ...which is completely irrelevant to the guy's point.

    Not everyone owns a "portable audio device". Not everyone owns
    an Apple branded one (remember Sony).

    >> To be more positive, thanks for providing a Linux option and for
    >> pointing it out in COLA. It would be good to spread the word better
    >> generally. As a practical matter, people can't use Linux to get this
    >> content unless they /know/ they can use it.

    > mp3 and m4a are hardly "Linux support". Its very poor and half
    > arsed. But better than nothing as you say.

    You're on crack.

    If the content is in mp3 and unencrypted aac, then anyone can use
    it, PERIOD. You're ranting to the contrary is just irrational.

    You don't have to support Linux (or anything else for that matter)
    EXPLICITLY. Make your format open and anyone that cares to use your
    data can. The visible links on the Oxford page are especially nice.
    This makes it really easy to export these into a playlist of your own
    creation or the application of your choosing.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  20. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On 2008-10-08, Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> YOu need to adjust your meds.

    >> "... part of Apple's iTunes U initiative, whereby universities around
    >> the world are making free podcasts available to be downloaded from
    >> Apple's portal."
    >>
    >> They call it "iTunes U".

    > And this has what to do with the BBC?
    >

    >>> The iPod is by far and away the most successful portable audio device
    >>> ever.

    >>> mp3 and m4a are hardly "Linux support".

    >> Your term.

    > "option" --> "support".
    >

    >>> Its very poor and half
    >>> arsed. But better than nothing as you say.

    >> I didn't say that.
    >>
    >> In what way are Linux users excluded?
    >>
    >> Like the man tried to say politely, your post was unfair.

    > My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main
    > method. Then they ship proprietary audio files as an alternative. Simple
    > really. It could be better. But as I said - better than nothing.

    "the main method"

    Who cares what the "main method" is?

    As long as other people are accomodated, "the main method" is
    irrelevant. Infact, even the use of iTunes itself is considerably
    less sinister as long as no DRM is involved.

    Contrary to popular FUD, playing an "iTunes file" in Linux is
    no big deal. It hasn't been for a very long time.

    You are simply trying to ignore anything that contradicts your
    little agenda.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast